++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 1, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #29,341 of 29,490
Quote:
I love the Grado headphones. I said I like them less than the AKG K240 yesterday but the sound has really grown on me and I've barely touched the K240 all day. It's just such a pleasant sound, where as the AKG K240 sort of lacks warmth in certain areas.

I saw that. I'm kinda on a mini-quest to identify the best sub-$100 open cans out there right now. Both of those were on my list to try.

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #29,342 of 29,490
Can anyone tell me if it's worth it to upgrade to the grado sr225i from the sr80i?

I can't tell if it will be worth it for you, but I find that the SR225i have a little bit more detail resolution and slightly better bass (they are a touch brighter, though). I suspect that this is largely because of the L-Cush pads. You can probably get 80% of the way to the SR225i simply by changing out the pads. Then the drivers are slightly better matched, according to the info Grado provides on their website.

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #29,344 of 29,490
Quote:
What is the difference between beyerdynamic's pro and standard versions?

Sonically, practically nothing. There's just certain aspects that make one a better can for studio work vs personal listening.

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #29,345 of 29,490
Hey, Im in the market for some new full size headphones. I will be using them with an iBasso D-Zero and an iPod touch, most likely, along with a MacBook. Anyway, I listen to a lot of classic folk, classic rock, indie rock, indie folk, a bit of harder rock, as well as some ska and reggae. Eclectic taste in music, but most of what I listen to is on the softer/acoustic side. I got some Sennheiser HD 598s for X-Mas, but I had to return them because I realized I couldn't deal with open-backed headphones. I need a bit of sound isolation. Price range is $80-$150 (gift card to Best Buy, so I need to buy from them). Thanks!

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #29,346 of 29,490
I love the Grado headphones. I said I like them less than the AKG K240 yesterday but the sound has really grown on me and I've barely touched the K240 all day. It's just such a pleasant sound, where as the AKG K240 sort of lacks warmth in certain areas.

Many people that like rock find that the Grados do it better for them than anything else. I prefer the SR80i for classic rock and most modern hard rock over any headphones I've heard in the <$300 price range. If you truly are finding that you LOVE the SR80i for rock, you'll probably find that you appreciate the upgrade that the SR225i offers :)

Jun 1, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #29,347 of 29,490
I own the Monster Beats by Dr. Dre Studio and am going to sell them because I don't like the overpowering bass. I plan to replace them with more balanced sounding headphones for under $300. I'm considering the Focal Spirit One. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Thanks

Jun 1, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #29,348 of 29,490
Quote:
Many people that like rock find that the Grados do it better for them than anything else. I prefer the SR80i for classic rock and most modern hard rock over any headphones I've heard in the <$300 price range. If you truly are finding that you LOVE the SR80i for rock, you'll probably find that you appreciate the upgrade that the SR225i offers
smily_headphones1.gif

Why does everyone say "Oh Grados are great for rock"
Shouldn't any headphone that's neutral be good for rock?
Or do they just have lower sensitivity to high frequencies and they enjoy that treble peak with their dadrock?
lol I honestly don't get it

I've never heard Grados before so I really don't know. But a lot of people say they have big treble spikes that can cause fatigue

Jun 1, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #29,349 of 29,490

Or do they just have lower sensitivity to high frequencies and they enjoy that treble peak with their dadrock?

I've never heard Grados before so I really don't know. But a lot of people say they have big treble spikes that can cause fatigue

This is a good place to research and ask questions about Grados: http://www.head-fi.org/t/530965/grado-fan-club :)

Jun 1, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #29,350 of 29,490
Hi headfiers
i already have denon dn hp500 and grado sr80i headphones.
my source is asus xonar dx sound card and cmoy as amplifier

i had chance to listen sennheiser hd600 on expensive custom made dac and i like it very much
but unfortunatly i cant aford hd600 at this moment.

any way i want to buy something diferent and maybe better than grado becouse i am already bored with grados and denons

my favourite music is jazz something like bill evans and miles davis
rock something as oasis,beatles,zz top etc.

i want to buy something less bright than grado sr80, something more diferent than grado and something more sounding like hd600.

my budget is 155euro
i can buy beyerdynamic dt990pro for 155 euro, akg k550 for 155euro and sennheiser hd598 for 150euro.
which should i chose

is hd 600 worth of aditional saving and 1 year waiting for new headphones

Jun 1, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #29,351 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Need some quick advice:

For clarity, detail and instrument separation - K550 ($200) or SRH940 ($240)? Or something else?

Thanks!

For what you're asking and between those two, the SRH940, hands down.

Agreed--but they need an amp.

Jun 1, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #29,354 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey, Im in the market for some new full size headphones. I will be using them with an iBasso D-Zero and an iPod touch, most likely, along with a MacBook. Anyway, I listen to a lot of classic folk, classic rock, indie rock, indie folk, a bit of harder rock, as well as some ska and reggae. Eclectic taste in music, but most of what I listen to is on the softer/acoustic side. I got some Sennheiser HD 598s for X-Mas, but I had to return them because I realized I couldn't deal with open-backed headphones. I need a bit of sound isolation. Price range is $80-$150 (gift card to Best Buy, so I need to buy from them). Thanks!

You'll have to tell us what closed cans BB has in that price range that has attracted your interest.

Jun 1, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #29,355 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Many people that like rock find that the Grados do it better for them than anything else. I prefer the SR80i for classic rock and most modern hard rock over any headphones I've heard in the <$300 price range. If you truly are finding that you LOVE the SR80i for rock, you'll probably find that you appreciate the upgrade that the SR225i offers
smily_headphones1.gif

Put a pair on your head and listen.  There is no substitute for that, especially for cans like the SR Grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back