++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 1, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #29,326 of 29,490
Quote:
I doubt that you will like the bass from the HD 650 if you are not happy with the quantity of bass from the M50.  While the HD 650 has a mid bass hump, which is its main distinguishing feature from the HD 600, it is not even remotely a basshead lite can.  The HD 650 also needs a decent amp and deserves a quality sound card (in your case--and in that of others using a computer as their music player) or you won't get the most from it.

The DT 990, which also needs in amp in its best versions, has recessed mids.  However, it certainly will expand your sound stage when it is properly driven and fed.

Thanks for the response. Firstly, I should have mentioned that I'm going to be buying a DAC and amp with my new 'phones - most likely a Schiit M&M or O2/ODAC. Though I'm also considering a tube amp. So the 'phones will be driven properly.

Moving on, despite my comment about my desire for prominent bass, I'd say it's the quality I'm more concerned about, rather than quantity. I want something warmer and fuller. (That said, I've not used any other decent headphones so I don't have much to compare the M50's to...) I've often read the HD 650's being described as warm.

Do you have any idea how the bass in the M50's would compare directly to the HD 650's? Not to worry - found a few threads on this topic.

Jun 1, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #29,327 of 29,490
Quote:
Did you read the headphone buying guides that KC Jag referred you to? Choose some headphones that look good to you, and then go look up prices at websites that ship to Israel. If you have questions about some of the headphones you find that can be shipped in your price range, you can ask questions. But arguing with KC Jag instead of taking the first step he already suggested isn't going to get anyone to help you
rolleyes.gif

Not arguing mate but debating :D just kidding, I didn't read them because I wasn't sure which one I'm suppose to read(or which one is more up-to date)
I'll try to check them out but if you guys could lead me to a specsific thread I would greately appriciate it since I don't really know which one I should turn to.

Jun 1, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #29,328 of 29,490
Hi all, 

So Ive decided to buy my first pair of respectable headphones, with a budget of 100- 200£ I've been looking at the Senns 558 and 598 which i really liked although I realized i will be using the them in the office and library etc. so I'm trying to settle for some closed headphones instead. 

i really like the reviews of the Senns MOMENTUM although they are on the pricey side of my research
also Ive been looking at the MDR1R which i really like and heard only good things about them.

Other mentions:

[size=1.7em] AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-M50S[/size]

[size=1.7em] Denon AHD1100[/size]

I really like the design of the first two and I'm leaning towards a pair with good punchy bass since my main music is electronic, I also listen to quite a lot of Blues and Rock.

any suggestions and new models are appreciated! 

D.

Jun 1, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #29,329 of 29,490
Quote:
I doubt that you will like the bass from the HD 650 if you are not happy with the quantity of bass from the M50.  While the HD 650 has a mid bass hump, which is its main distinguishing feature from the HD 600, it is not even remotely a basshead lite can.  The HD 650 also needs a decent amp and deserves a quality sound card (in your case--and in that of others using a computer as their music player) or you won't get the most from it.

The DT 990, which also needs in amp in its best versions, has recessed mids.  However, it certainly will expand your sound stage when it is properly driven and fed.

I've done some further research and found a pair of headphones I hadn't yet considered, the HE-400's. From my reading, it's said they have superior bass to the HD 650's and a sound signature which may be more appealing to me and appropriate for my listening habits. So now I've switched from being 'quite sure' about the HD 650's to 'almost certain' on the HE-400's. My budget is blowing out a bit but I'll be grabbing the velour pads (and a hard carry case) to go with them too.

Now to finalise my decision on the DAC/amp...

Jun 1, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #29,330 of 29,490
Quote:
Ok cool, thanks for the reply. This is basically what I wanted to know. As far as sounds leaking in from the outside, I'm fairly confident that the volume I choose to listen to all my music at is so high that it won't be an issue. I basically put headphones at as loud a volume as my ears can take without being in pain....lol. Probably not great for my eardrums, but that's how I choose to live. I've heard others say the bass seemed to be lacking a punch in regard to other Grado headphones as well. Were you driving the ones you mentioned listening to with an amp? I do plan to invest in an amp also as soon as money will allow. I don't have much experience with good quality cans, so an appropriate reference point for me would be a pair of $60 Skullcandy Hesh 2 (I think they were called?) The sound quality of those was pretty unimpressive overall, but the bass seemed to have a decent punch. As long as the Grado SR325is will have something around that in regards to bass punch, I will be happy. The main factor that concerns me is quality of sound, and I wouldn't be extremely upset to find these Grados being a little less aggressive bass-wise. Thanks again for the response!

They were played back from a Numark Mixdeck and an iPod so no real amplification at all. I'm not qualified to explain how an amp may alter the sound.

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #29,331 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all, 

So Ive decided to buy my first pair of respectable headphones, with a budget of 100- 200£ I've been looking at the Senns 558 and 598 which i really liked although I realized i will be using the them in the office and library etc. so I'm trying to settle for some closed headphones instead. 

i really like the reviews of the Senns MOMENTUM although they are on the pricey side of my research
also Ive been looking at the MDR1R which i really like and heard only good things about them.

Other mentions:

[size=1.7em] AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-M50S[/size]

[size=1.7em] Denon AHD1100[/size]

I really like the design of the first two and I'm leaning towards a pair with good punchy bass since my main music is electronic, I also listen to quite a lot of Blues and Rock.

any suggestions and new models are appreciated! 

D.

You should look at VModa M80. I feel it suits your price range and requirements. They have an MSRP of $230 but on Amazon, I believe its $100 off.

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #29,333 of 29,490
Not arguing mate but debating :D just kidding, I didn't read them because I wasn't sure which one I'm suppose to read(or which one is more up-to date)
I'll try to check them out but if you guys could lead me to a specsific thread I would greately appriciate it since I don't really know which one I should turn to.

I would think all of the first four links might have something useful to offer in your budget. But then again, since I don't know what headphones would cost shipped to you, I can't predict that very well.

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #29,334 of 29,490
Need some quick advice:

For clarity, detail and instrument separation - K550 ($200) or SRH940 ($240)? Or something else?

Thanks!

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #29,335 of 29,490
Quote:
Need some quick advice:

For clarity, detail and instrument separation - K550 ($200) or SRH940 ($240)? Or something else?

Thanks!

For what you're asking and between those two, the SRH940, hands down.

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #29,339 of 29,490
Quote:
Can anyone tell me if it's worth it to upgrade to the grado sr225i from the sr80i?

I'll be interested in hearing this as well. Wanting to hear this polarizing Grado sound everyone talks about.

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #29,340 of 29,490
Quote:
I'll be interested in hearing this as well. Wanting to hear this polarizing Grado sound everyone talks about.

I love the Grado headphones. I said I like them less than the AKG K240 yesterday but the sound has really grown on me and I've barely touched the K240 all day. It's just such a pleasant sound, where as the AKG K240 sort of lacks warmth in certain areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back