++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 31, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #29,311 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey everyone, I'm searching for a pair of headphones for about 100$ more or less, thing is that I need worldwide shipping since I live in Israel so Amazon pricing is quite tricky.
I listens to a very wide variety of music, from Dubstep to rock, from rap to jazz, vocal, soundtracks and on, and on...
If the headphones requires a decent amp/dac I don't mind as long as I don't need to spend more than extra 100$ for an amp.

Thanks in advance, Justlog.

Have you checked the buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread.  As most of us are clueless of you local pricing issues concerning particular cans, that is probably the best place to start.

May 31, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #29,312 of 29,490
Quote:
So I'm not new here, I just tend to come and go. So after a few years of being content, I've been getting the itch to buy more stuff again and need an opinion. 

I'm looking for some new cans. I've had my Sennheiser HD 555s for a while now, and while I always liked them, I do want something a little more high end. I used these to get into the sound and learn what I like and I've had a few years with them and I think it's time to add to the collection. So here's what I'm looking for:

I have never used any other brand but Senn, but I do not want to limit myself to them. While I do quite like the sound signature of them, I don't want to say that they're my preferred without trying other stuff too. I generally listen to all types of rock and alternative rock (favorite artists: Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Staind, Linkin Park, Blink-182, Breaking Benjamin, Coldplay, Counting Crows, Foo Fighters, Goo Goo Dolls, on and on...), but also occasionally listen to hip-hop and frequently listen to spoken word (though spoken isn't a huge matter to me as long as I can understand the words). I have no clear idea of what type of signature I do prefer (I know I'm not a bass head, but I'm certainly not interested in only the highs either... just the overall sound. I like balance between the two, but like to see each show off sometimes if that makes any sense). That being said, I can't say I have anything wrong with the way the Senns sound. I've listened to the these cans, a lower end pair of Senns, and the HD650 and I've liked them all. So I've been seriously considering the Senn HD650s because I already know I like them, but I'm completely open to suggestions for me to research.

As far as for source goes, I usually use my computer, but I also have an AV receiver from the early 90s (Kenwood KA-895) and can give that a few different sources. I also have the NuForce uDac-2 (not sure if I really like this one yet...) and I am serious considering picking up the Schiit Modi+Magni combo.

Oh, and one more, semi-important bit: I have a retailer preference. I work at Best Buy and while I don't get a discount on much, headphones tend to have a significant discount there for me, and obviously if possible, I'd like to take advantage of that while I still work there. Please do not take this as me saying I won't think about cans that aren't sold there, but I will give a small bit of precedence to those that are there.

My budget is somewhere around $500 for cans that can be purchased at Best Buy (my discount and the financing helps) and around $350 from other retailers.

So knowing all this, any suggestions?

The HD 600, HD 650 and DT 880 immediately come to mind--especially if you get the stack.  Early 90's receiver headphone out are iffy, but don't know about your specific model.

What high end non-lifestyle cans does BB carry?

May 31, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #29,313 of 29,490
Quote:
The HD 600, HD 650 and DT 880 immediately come to mind--especially if you get the stack.  Early 90's receiver headphone out are iffy, but don't know about your specific model.

I know we're authorized dealers for Senns, and looking through quickly just now, I can see that we sell some of the midrange of the other manufacturers (Sony, Beyerdynamic). But with Senns I know I can get the 650s for a really good price (lower than I've seen most used ones) and I can also get the DT880s, but at full cost (some items I can tell from the internet won't get me anything off).

Is there any compelling reason to spend the extra money (probably like $50-60 for me) on the HD650s over the 600s? I know the 650 is supposed to be "warmer", but are there many other differences? Should I go with the 650 just so I know I got the "top of the series" and won't have as much of a "what if?" feeling?

May 31, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #29,314 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

I know we're authorized dealers for Senns, and looking through quickly just now, I can see that we sell some of the midrange of the other manufacturers (Sony, Beyerdynamic). But with Senns I know I can get the 650s for a really good price (lower than I've seen most used ones) and I can also get the DT880s, but at full cost (some items I can tell from the internet won't get me anything off).

Is there any compelling reason to spend the extra money (probably like $50-60 for me) on the HD650s over the 600s? I know the 650 is supposed to be "warmer", but are there many other differences? Should I go with the 650 just so I know I got the "top of the series" and won't have as much of a "what if?" feeling?

Read about both of them here and make you own call:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-ultimate-ears-uerm-added-4-14-13

Of course if you can listen to each properly amp and to a quality audio source (say at your store), that's even better.

May 31, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #29,315 of 29,490
I'm looking for a pair of good over the ear headphones. I would prefer noise canceling, but not critical. My 2 main priorities are comfort (I have a really cheap pair of over the ear headphones now and I can't wear them for longer than 15 minutes without my ears hurting) and quality sound ( I like a lot of bass). I looked at the bose qc15's and they are super comfortable on my head but just wanted some recommendations on what I can get with the same amount of comfort with better quality sound. I really wouldn't like to spend more than a couple hundred bucks, although if I can't find anything here I might just spend the 300 and get the bose to spare my ears from the hell my current headphones put them through. Any help would really be appreciated.

May 31, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #29,316 of 29,490
Noob/lurker here.  I'm looking for a comfortable full size closed headphone.  Price range $100-200; might buy refurbished if I get a great deal or after I've tried them.

I'll try to describe my sound preference:  I think I want a relatively neutral sounding headphone.  I like my bass tight and punchy with decent extension - not overpowering or bloated but still there.  I like forward or balanced mids (hate the V shaped sound).  I don't like a really bright or harsh highs.  

I've had the denon HP-DJ700 headphones.  I liked them alot, but they weren't comfortable for long periods of time (on ear).  Then I busted the jack and sent them back (insurance lol).
I also had the AKG tiesto k167.  loved the sound but wasn't quite satisfied with the comfort (headband was a little uncomfortable and my ears touched the drivers a little) and build quality (heard of hinges cracking), so I returned them.

tried a bunch of Bayers but none really stood out, and I was never too crazy for ath-m50 (recessed mids nothx)

I'd say I have a medium/large head  and medium/large ears.

I listen to everything:  country, electronic, alt rock, classic rock, indie, rap/pop on occasion, 

Also, these will be driven from laptop/android/clip+.  definitely need hp's forgiving of source (Who has time to keep a nice FLAC library lol?)

Suggestions?

considering shure srh840 atm.  I need to try them out at Guitar Center or something.  

Jun 1, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #29,317 of 29,490
Quote:
Have you checked the buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread.  As most of us are clueless of you local pricing issues concerning particular cans, that is probably the best place to start.

The local pricing shouldn't really matter since I'm going to order my headphones from an overseas website.

Jun 1, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #29,318 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

The local pricing shouldn't really matter since I'm going to order my headphones from an overseas website.

OK--but the point is that if you are not able to use off the web page Amazon pricing, we don't know what you can get for your $100.  For example what would a CAL! cost you?

Jun 1, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #29,319 of 29,490
Quote:
OK--but the point is that if you are not able to use off the web page Amazon pricing, we don't know what you can get for your $100.  For example what would a CAL! cost you?

Well, any website that ships to Israel you should be able to see what it'll cost me, for an example the Brainwavz M4 IEM costs me 69.50, just as it would cost to any other costumer.

Jun 1, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #29,320 of 29,490
Quote:
Ok, last question. Can a FiiO E10 power the DT880 600 ohm version well enough?

No. If you're only going to use the E10 and don't plan on upgrading to something more powerful then get the 32 or 250 ohm version of the 880. Don't fall for the myth that the 600 ohm version sounds better. They're all basically the same, depending on what amp you're plugging them into.

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #29,321 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Well, any website that ships to Israel you should be able to see what it'll cost me, for an example the Brainwavz M4 IEM costs me 69.50, just as it would cost to any other costumer.

And it costs me $49.50 shipped.  You have tell us if $20 or x % more than what we see on Amazon (for example) is the price to you.  We aren't going to look it up.  That's too much to expect from free help.

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #29,322 of 29,490
I'll only do it once, just a lil' bump on this:

Quote:
Hello fellows,

Moving on from my general upgrade query in the PC Audio forum, I'm currently looking at purchasing new headphones, a DAC and an amp. Seeing as this is the headphones recommendations thread, I've come here hoping for a few specific pointers for my new headphone purchase.

Summary
Have: I'm not satisfied with the degree of immersion I'm getting from my current audio setup, which consists of onboard sound and a pair of ATH-M50's. Specifically, I feel that the soundstage is too narrow and restricted, the sound is too 'linear' and I would definitely like more in the bass department (see below).

Want: Primarily, as improvements upon the M50s, I would like:

1. #1: Soundstage - Wide, voluminous. This is my main desire.
  2. #2: Bass - Warm, tight, full, transparent and prominent without being distorting or overbearing.
  3. Beyond these two things, I just want good clarity and nothing too aggressive.

I will only be using these headphones at home, for music and film, so I'm after an open pair. I mainly listen to electronic, ambient and jazz music. My total budget is about 750AUD - but that's including the DAC and amp, so I'm looking to spend up to about 450AUD for the headphones themselves.

The two obvious possibilities which have presented themselves to me are the Beyerdynamic DT 990 and the Sennheiser HD 650. From my reading, I'm currently leaning toward the HD 650's because they apparently have a superior soundstage, better mid-range and more warmth. I've also read that the DT 990's can be slightly aggressive with a bit too much high-end. I'd say I'm quite sensitive to high-end, so I don't want that.

Comments on the above two models would be most appreciated. Suggestions for other models are welcome also :) Thanks

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #29,323 of 29,490
Quote:
And it costs me $49.50 shipped.  You have tell us if $20 or x % more than what we see on Amazon (for example) is the price to you.  We aren't going to look it up.  That's too much to expect from free help.

Okay then, well the thing is that alot of headphones from Amazon cannot be shipped to Israel so I can't really estimate how much it will cost me + shipping.

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #29,324 of 29,490
Quote:
I'll only do it once, just a lil' bump on this:

Quote:
Hello fellows,

Moving on from my general upgrade query in the PC Audio forum, I'm currently looking at purchasing new headphones, a DAC and an amp. Seeing as this is the headphones recommendations thread, I've come here hoping for a few specific pointers for my new headphone purchase.

Summary
Have: I'm not satisfied with the degree of immersion I'm getting from my current audio setup, which consists of onboard sound and a pair of ATH-M50's. Specifically, I feel that the soundstage is too narrow and restricted, the sound is too 'linear' and I would definitely like more in the bass department (see below).

Want: Primarily, as improvements upon the M50s, I would like:

1. #1: Soundstage - Wide, voluminous. This is my main desire.
  2. #2: Bass - Warm, tight, full, transparent and prominent without being distorting or overbearing.
  3. Beyond these two things, I just want good clarity and nothing too aggressive.

I will only be using these headphones at home, for music and film, so I'm after an open pair. I mainly listen to electronic, ambient and jazz music. My total budget is about 750AUD - but that's including the DAC and amp, so I'm looking to spend up to about 450AUD for the headphones themselves.

The two obvious possibilities which have presented themselves to me are the Beyerdynamic DT 990 and the Sennheiser HD 650. From my reading, I'm currently leaning toward the HD 650's because they apparently have a superior soundstage, better mid-range and more warmth. I've also read that the DT 990's can be slightly aggressive with a bit too much high-end. I'd say I'm quite sensitive to high-end, so I don't want that.

Comments on the above two models would be most appreciated. Suggestions for other models are welcome also :) Thanks

I doubt that you will like the bass from the HD 650 if you are not happy with the quantity of bass from the M50.  While the HD 650 has a mid bass hump, which is its main distinguishing feature from the HD 600, it is not even remotely a basshead lite can.  The HD 650 also needs a decent amp and deserves a quality sound card (in your case--and in that of others using a computer as their music player) or you won't get the most from it.

The DT 990, which also needs in amp in its best versions, has recessed mids.  However, it certainly will expand your sound stage when it is properly driven and fed.

Jun 1, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #29,325 of 29,490
Okay then, well the thing is that alot of headphones from Amazon cannot be shipped to Israel so I can't really estimate how much it will cost me + shipping.

Did you read the headphone buying guides that KC Jag referred you to? Choose some headphones that look good to you, and then go look up prices at websites that ship to Israel. If you have questions about some of the headphones you find that can be shipped in your price range, you can ask questions. But arguing with KC Jag instead of taking the first step he already suggested isn't going to get anyone to help you :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back