++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 25, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #29,026 of 29,490
Hi All,

I'm shopping for my first set of audiophile grade headphones. I mainly listen to rnb/hip hop, top 40, latin, vocal jazz, and the occasional classical. I currently have old Skullcandy lowrider on ear 30mm i still use. Also a pair of skullcandy Smokin Bud's in ear.
Reading up on how people describe sound here, this is how i would describe my set.

SC Lowriders:  semi-opened, wide soundstage, recessed lows, up front mids, and clear highs. - I do like how they but lack bass

SC Smokin Buds: Isolated, narrow soundstage, deep bass, muddy up front mids, and recessed highs. - i like the bass and isolation, didn't like the feel of the in ear though.

Reading the reviews, these are what i came up to for choice:

Pioneer Hdj-500
Audio Technica ATH-WS55
Audio Technica ATH-M50
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohms - on the high end cost, will consider buying if these are the clear favourites.

I would probably also end up buying an Fiio e11 for any of the headphones listed.

Help me to decide. Thanks.

For the music you listen to I don't really recommend any of the cans listed. I'd lean towards Sony xb1000 if your wallet allows.

Also, a good alternative would be spiders new headphones, or the skullcandy slyr

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk 2

May 25, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #29,027 of 29,490
Hello,

Looking for a new headphones as a replacement for my Sennheiser hd 202.

Budget: cheap, not more than 100€, so it is about $130.

Source: mainly my laptop and some mp3 player.

Past headphones: hd 202, really like them, maybe to much bass, I don't have nothing else to compare them to, but sometimes it seems that midrange and especially highs "drowns" in bass, well I don't know how to explain this...

Preferred Music: progressive rock(King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant, Rush, Tool, Porcupine tree), post-hardcore(Fugazi, Lungfish), grunge(Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains), classic rock(Led Zeppelin, Doors, Hendrix), stoner rock, jazz, classical, sometimes ambient, psychill, psybient.

I am considering Grado SR60i or MS1. Am I on the right track?

Grados (and Alessandros) are well known for being awesome for rock. And I think you would find them to be an improvement over your HD 202s for the other generes as well. Just keep in mind that they are open headphones. Good for at home usage in quiet environments. Not good when you need isolation from your environment.

May 25, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #29,028 of 29,490
Grados and I have a weird love/hate relationship, in that they aren't quite right, tonally, for what I'm looking for.

I guess my main issue is that they're too in your face and their mid range isn't protrayed as well as I would like.

Its why I typically grab audiotechnica or pioneer cans for rock and metal for the way they approach positioning, and most importantly, how the mids sound.

May 25, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #29,029 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello,

Looking for a new headphones as a replacement for my Sennheiser hd 202.

Budget: cheap, not more than 100€, so it is about $130.

Source: mainly my laptop and some mp3 player.

Past headphones: hd 202, really like them, maybe to much bass, I don't have nothing else to compare them to, but sometimes it seems that midrange and especially highs "drowns" in bass, well I don't know how to explain this...

Preferred Music: progressive rock(King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant, Rush, Tool, Porcupine tree), post-hardcore(Fugazi, Lungfish), grunge(Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains), classic rock(Led Zeppelin, Doors, Hendrix), stoner rock, jazz, classical, sometimes ambient, psychill, psybient.

I am considering Grado SR60i or MS1. Am I on the right track?

I think you are (or at least on one of the right tracks).  Go with the better Alessandro.

May 25, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #29,030 of 29,490
Hello,
I will buy my first real headphone and i was considering tow options
ATH-m50  
dt770 pro 250 + fiiio e07k
will i hear the difference between the tow even tho i'm new to good headphone and will be using them for movies music and gaming

May 25, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #29,031 of 29,490
if you're factoring in gaming and movies, neither of those are particularly good. I recommend Pioneer SE-A1000, since one of the main features it was marketed for was home theater usage. It's got impressive sub bass extension, and it's huge and open like the AD900, and had great positioning. amazing for gaming in my experience.

May 25, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #29,034 of 29,490
Quote:
What are the best open cans for $1000 for use with a Schiit Magni/O2 and an ODAC that works well with all genres?

Two things--at least.

The Magni is a mismatch with cans in this price range.  If going with Schiit--you need to be at least at the Asgard 2 level.

The "best" can will certainly depend on your sound signature preference and may well depend on how well it works/sounds with a specific amp.

May 25, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #29,035 of 29,490
Quote:
Two things--at least.

The Magni is a mismatch with cans in this price range.  If going with Schiit--you need to be at least at the Asgard 2 level.

The "best" can will certainly depend on your sound signature preference and may well depend on how well it works/sounds with a specific amp.

How about the Objective 2, would that be a better match? I like well controlled bass, smooth mids (not recessed though like on my DT770s) and treble that's neither recessed or fatiguing but whose cymbal crashes really sparkle. The O2 would probably only be temporary to last me until I can afford a tube amp like a Crack or Lyr maybe. In terms of genres I like a lot of rock/alternative, electronica, some dubstep and some classical.

May 25, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #29,036 of 29,490
For the music you listen to I don't really recommend any of the cans listed. I'd lean towards Sony xb1000 if your wallet allows.

Also, a good alternative would be spiders new headphones, or the skullcandy slyr

Xb1000? Really? The reviews I've read, the description sounds like where I want to begin.
But not where I like to end. No offense to Sony xb owners, I just don't like the look of the of the extra large ear pads on my head. Why wouldn't you recommend any of the cans I chose?

May 25, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #29,037 of 29,490
How about the Objective 2, would that be a better match? I like well controlled bass, smooth mids (not recessed though like on my DT770s) and treble that's neither recessed or fatiguing but whose cymbal crashes really sparkle. The O2 would probably only be temporary to last me until I can afford a tube amp like a Crack or Lyr maybe. In terms of genres I like a lot of rock/alternative, electronica, some dubstep and some classical.

The point is that if you are going to buy $1000 headphones, then you should be a higher quality amp to get the most out of them. But since you are already planning to do so, then the Magni would work fine to get you by. :)

May 25, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #29,040 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Two things--at least.

The O2 is an excellent amp for most headphones--very neutral.  It's weaknesses are its input and output jacks/limitations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back