++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 24, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #28,996 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks for posting this about the Fostex! I'll almost certainly have to get some and play around with the mods at some point. I'd been curious about the Mr. Speakers, or even the... Paradox I think it's called? But I think modding my own and the tweaking my own could be low cost fun and non-pressure way to hone some skills. I'm a little nervous about messing around with expensive cans since I'm not the most adept.

Definitely buy a pair and mod them yourself. I had a lot of fun with it and I have still yet to do anything permanent. I can take them apart right now and convert them back to stock if I wanted. The Mad Dog and Paradox are the two that I've seen getting the most hype around the forum but I think most of that is due to the fact that the modding methods are secret (not positive on the Mad Dog but LFF has made it clear he is not about to tell anyone what he's done to the Paradox). BMF (BlueMonkeyFlyer) has a great thread to get you started. By the end, he compares his LCD-2's and his T50RP's frequency response and they're nearly identical. The T50RP's are semi-closed, so you won't have the airy sound of an open can, but they will give you some isolation, which is nice.

The downside is that you're going to beat yourself up about all the headphone purchased you've made when you could have just had a single pair of T50RP's to meet your needs.
wink.gif

Here is the thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements

May 24, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #28,997 of 29,490
Quote:
Hifi Man, you can find the k550 for 200$ new on eBay. It is closed, and a lot of people say it sounds better than the q701.

I would probably already own a pair if they didn't have that permanent cable. I had a pair of headphones with a permanent cable once and they broke 3 times and I replaced them twice. That was my first pair of real headphones, the Panasonic RP-HTX7 I got a few years ago. 

May 24, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #28,998 of 29,490
Quote:
I would probably already own a pair if they didn't have that permanent cable. I had a pair of headphones with a permanent cable once and they broke 3 times and I replaced them twice. That was my first pair of real headphones, the Panasonic RP-HTX7 I got a few years ago. 

You could always get a detachable cable mod. I think moon audio might do one.

May 24, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #28,999 of 29,490
Quote:
You could always get a detachable cable mod. I think moon audio might do one.

I don't want to mess around with mods at this price. I tried modding my Sony V6 and I was successful, but I definitely wouldn't want to rip apart a 200 dollar pair of headphones like I did my Sony V6. All I want to know is if the q701 would work on my amps.

May 24, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #29,000 of 29,490

HD598 as an option too in that case?

May 24, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #29,001 of 29,490
Quote:
HD598 as an option too in that case?

I think so. It would just depend on which one is better for the music I listen to. I assume either one would be a complete upgrade from my K240. But which one is more suitable for the type of rock music I listen to? My bloody valentine, the microphones, any shoegaze, some post rock like godspeed you! black emperor, joy division, the cure, just to think of some off the top of my head.

But still, I need to know if either of these headphones would work on my amps.

May 24, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #29,002 of 29,490
Budget: 200 euros. 
My choices right now: 
Audio technica ATH-M50
Beyerdynamic COP 
V-MODA Crossfade LP or m80
Beyerdynamic DT770 32ohm 

I'm going to use them in and outdoors. 
music I listen to: onerepublic, lana del rey, florence and the machine, the script etc. 
Using a cowon J3. 

If you know any other headphones in that price range that blows those 4 away, tell me and I'll look into it. 
Thanks. 

May 24, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #29,003 of 29,490
Hi everybody, having some second thoughts about buying myself a new pair of headphones

I've been saving money for some time and  decided to buy sennheiser HD 518 at first but given how I never got to test any of the more expensive headphones, I have to say I'm a little bit scared I won't  get what I want or there might be headphones better suited for what I'm listening to and there isn't too much options  to try variety of headphones in my country before buying.

budget: same as sennheiser hd 518, its about 150 euros in my country
type of music: I do not prefer specific type, I listen to jazz, alternative rock, rnb, hip hop, electronic(especially enjoying flying lotus, burial etc.) and other stuff too
here's my last fm for better check maybe http://www.last.fm/user/franko-bananko

so I have two questions for help - 1. I'm a little bit scared how powerful  or better to say overhelming the bass is because I do enjoy clarity, would like some nice soundstage and clear mids and highs not to be overshadowed by bass cuz  bass is not the most important thing for me, overall sound quality is( although some bass impact is desireable). 
2. some other headphones to check  out because personally I get lost reading about all these headphones on internet , still new to this stuff

and sorry for my english, hope its understandable. Would appreciate any kind of advice but I'm fine if there is no right answer for me
thanks in advance

May 24, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #29,004 of 29,490
I think so. It would just depend on which one is better for the music I listen to. I assume either one would be a complete upgrade from my K240. But which one is more suitable for the type of rock music I listen to? My bloody valentine, the microphones, any shoegaze, some post rock like godspeed you! black emperor, joy division, the cure, just to think of some off the top of my head.

But still, I need to know if either of these headphones would work on my amps.

Never had a 701 but I'd think if it matches the HE-400, it should drive the 701. Schiit stack is known as bright, right? That could be a problem with the 701 I'd think.

May 24, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #29,005 of 29,490
Whatever. I just got myself a pair of grado sr80i headphones with L pads. I supposed these will sound good with the rock music I listen to.

May 24, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #29,006 of 29,490
Quote:
My choices right now: 
Audio technica ATH-M50
Beyerdynamic COP 
Beyerdynamic DT770 32ohm 

music I listen to: onerepublic, lana del rey, florence and the machine, the script etc. 
Using a cowon J3. 

If you know any other headphones in that price range that blows those 4 away, tell me and I'll look into it. 
Thanks. 

Get an AKG k550 on eBay. Right now you can find them for under 200 euros.

May 24, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #29,007 of 29,490
Quote:
My choices right now: 
Audio technica ATH-M50
Beyerdynamic COP 
Beyerdynamic DT770 32ohm 

Using a cowon J3. 

Thanks. 

You picked a lot of bassy headphones, so I'm assuming that you are a basshead. Look into the M-Audio Q40's

May 24, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #29,008 of 29,490
I have been borrowing my dad's Beyerdyamic DT770/80 for too long and I think it's about time I got some full size headphones of my own but it's safe to say I'm a bit overwhelmed by the possibilities.

I am looking for an open pair of headphones which will pair well with the ODAC and the Schiit Magni/O2 that deals well with pretty much all different genres. I like slamming but well controlled bass, nice vocals (the Beyers' are a little recessed) and sparkling but preferably not fatiguing highs. Unfortunately I live in an area where there aren't many places to try headphones. My nearest shop is in club Orpheus but only really as the HD700 and 800 on demo.

The cans I've been considering so far are the Sennheiser HD600, 650 and 700, HiFiMan HE-4/500, the Beyerdynamic offerings or potentially Audeze LCD2 if I can up my budget (£600/$900). I'm thinking that I might not get a great pairing with either of my current amps but that is something I can upgrade down the line.

beerchug.gif

May 24, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #29,009 of 29,490
Quote:
Get an AKG k550 on eBay. Right now you can find them for under 200 euros.

I can get one for 160 euros at an online store within the netherlands. I'm not sure if I like them, I've read some reviews about them and they don't seem seem to be as good as the headphones I've listed. 
Quote:
You picked a lot of bassy headphones, so I'm assuming that you are a basshead. Look into the M-Audio Q40's

I'm not that much of a basshead, but I do appreciate a nice punchy bass. I don't want the bass to ruin the sound for me though. 
I'll look into the M-audio q40's, thanks. 

May 24, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #29,010 of 29,490
Not sure if this goes here or if I should start a new thread, since this is not a question about buying headphones but about one I already bought, but I created an account just to ask this. I bought the Beyerdynamic DT 770 80 ohms. I also bought fiio e11 portable amp but it is yet to arrive. One thing I did notice was the recessed mids like a lot of people mentioned but this is doable for now and not the problem. I want to know if it is normal, that I can feel the left ear shake more (because of the bass) than compared to the right ear, when I put my hand on both sides. This scares me because the reason I bought these headphones is because the bass in my old audio technica ath-m50s stopped functioning properly. I have come up with three possibilities: 1: This is normal and simply surround sound or something like that 2: The headphones are defect (worst case scenario) 3: The problem is that the headphones are being overdriven and causes some things to mess up without using an amp (if that even makes any sense, I'm no expert on the technical stuff)

Maybe someone who has these headphones and can confirm if putting one hand on the left side, letting go and switching to the right side and then trying with both hands on both ears lets them see a difference in the amount of vibration (best test subject for this would be some techno song with lots of UNTZ bass in it.) This would very much be appreciated, I went through a lot of trouble to send the ath-m50s back and get these it will really suck if these are just defect again. The sound is great though, I am not noticing really anything like stronger left side or something it's only in terms of vibration. But the thing is the audio technica's also only had subtle things that made me worry but that I simply ignored, but it just got worse and worse until the bass just completely broke and the right ear became weaker than the left. Or maybe someone knows the answer without looking. Either way help would very much be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back