++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 22, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #28,922 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello, I'm new to the forums (so please go easy on me :p) and I'm looking for a good all-round headphone.
I intend to use it for music (lots of genres), movies, tv series, anime and games (fps, rpg, all sorts of genres really). They need to be over-ear and I'm only going to use it indoors so looks doesn't matter. I greatly prefer that only one cable would come out of the headphones (instead of two).
I used to use a Philips SHP2700 but unfortunately it got broken today :frowning2:. What I love about this headphone is that the amount of bass is just right and it's really good overal.
I also have a (more expensive) SHP8500 but although it's clearer, richer, deeper, or whatever you want to call it, on high tones I actually prefer the SHP2700 over the SHP8500 because the SHP8500, in my opinion lacks bass.

My budget is €200 BUT I don't want to spend any more money than I need to. Mainly because of my experience with the "cheap" and more expensive SHP2700 and SHP8500. More expensive isn't always better. But if there would be a big difference in performance then yes, I'm willing to pay for that.

Once again--check out the buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread.  There are also other links there that may be helpful and narrow your focus.

May 22, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #28,923 of 29,490
Quote:
And the HD 500 and Stax...

I think you should read all of it again.

Its still not a very common thing to talk about detail... But what I may get out of it is that either the Omega or the SR-009 is the most detailed headphone? Then in third is the Qualia (which sounds bad, though) and then the HD 800s.

May 22, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #28,924 of 29,490
I have read through it many times, but detail is not something he lists as a strength or a weakness often, other then the HD 800s and DT880s.

Then you might want to start a thread in the headphones forum to discuss this, instead of starting a discussion here about it. Probably would be lots of debate :)

May 22, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #28,925 of 29,490
Looking to upgrade from my CALs with a $200 budget. I like the CALs sound, but would prefer more instrument separation. I listen to a lot a large variety from hip hop to alternative rock/punk. Any clear upgrades for me that would be worth it?

EDIT: Nearly forgot my source. Using a sansa clip+ with flacs.

May 22, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #28,926 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking to upgrade from my CALs with a $200 budget. I like the CALs sound, but would prefer more instrument separation. I listen to a lot a large variety from hip hop to alternative rock/punk. Any clear upgrades for me that would be worth it?

EDIT: Nearly forgot my source. Using a sansa clip+ with flacs.

Are you willing to go to open or semi-open cans?  If not you will probably not get far in your quest, especially within your budget and with no amp.

May 22, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #28,928 of 29,490
Is there any closed can that sounds better than the akg k550? I recently tested it out at best buy and was quite impressed. The best genre with the akg is classical IMO, but in terms performance in all genres is there one that beats out the akg k550?

May 22, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #28,929 of 29,490
Quote:
Is there any closed can that sounds better than the akg k550? I recently tested it out at best buy and was quite impressed. The best genre with the akg is classical IMO, but in terms performance in all genres is there one that beats out the akg k550?

The Mr.Speakers Mad Dogs might, depending on what sound signature you like. Its slightly warmer over all, less treble. Most consider it to be very good.

May 22, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #28,930 of 29,490
Thank you for the quick response! I was considering the mad dog for a while but I will mainly be using my next headphones for portable use and I've heard that the mad dogs need a good amp. I think Ill stick with getting the k550 based on what I heard. After I listened to the k550s and then switching over to say the denon d600, the denon seemed very dark, slow, and very grainy compared to the clear refined sound of the k550, and considering that the denon is 500$, the akg seems to have a lot of bang for the buck.

May 23, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #28,931 of 29,490
Looking at a possible upgrade from my current Audio Technica A900X + Fiio E7 setup.I primarily listen to EDM/Progressive and Mashups with strong EDM/Prog influences. 

I like the clarity and highs of the A900Xs but could use something with a little more bass and something that would be a "step up" in overall quality. 

Looking to spend $400 as an absolute max (thinking I will keep my E7 for now, so hopefully it can drive whatever I end up purchasing for the time being and then looking to pick up a modi+magni or get an e9 to pair with my e7.)

Current considerations are the Beyerdynamic 990 Pro, Ultrasone 900, Hifiman 400s and Denon AHD 2000s. Also open to any other recommendations.

Thanks!

May 23, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #28,932 of 29,490
Looking at a possible upgrade from my current Audio Technica A900X + Fiio E7 setup.I primarily listen to EDM/Progressive and Mashups with strong EDM/Prog influences. 

I like the clarity and highs of the A900Xs but could use something with a little more bass and something that would be a "step up" in overall quality. 

Looking to spend $400 as an absolute max (thinking I will keep my E7 for now, so hopefully it can drive whatever I end up purchasing for the time being and then looking to pick up a modi+magni or get an e9 to pair with my e7.)

Current considerations are the Beyerdynamic 990 Pro, Ultrasone 900, Hifiman 400s and Denon AHD 2000s. Also open to any other recommendations.

Thanks!

I went through a similar ordeal and ended up with the dt990's and a e17... Good combo that will do what you want very well.

May 23, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #28,933 of 29,490
Quote:
I went through a similar ordeal and ended up with the dt990's and a e17... Good combo that will do what you want very well.

Or, save yourself $500+ and get a pair of koss ksc75's or ktxpro1's and burn them in for 60 hours:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/638757/koss-ksc75s-dont-forget-about-this-giant-killer-in-all-the-hype

Read the comments carefully. The koss titanium coated 60 ohm headphones are comparable to $400 and $600 headphones from beyerdynamic and grado. All for around a tenner. 

May 23, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #28,934 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

The Mr.Speakers Mad Dogs might, depending on what sound signature you like. Its slightly warmer over all, less treble. Most consider it to be very good.

But it is a semi-open can.

May 23, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #28,935 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Are you willing to go to open or semi-open cans?  If not you will probably not get far in your quest, especially within your budget and with no amp.

Open to any type of can, so long as its overear and moderately comfortable.

AD 900 or HD 558--depending on the sound signature you prefer.  No amp limits you, especially with regard to some cans, like the DT 990 Pro, that have more bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back