++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 21, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #28,846 of 29,490
Quote:
I have the Monoprice 8323.  How much would I have to spend to get a significant upgrade, and what headphones would that be?

Check the buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread.

Those cans do a great job relative to their very low price.  But they are at the bottom of a very long food chain.

May 21, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #28,847 of 29,490
For bass extension and a good sound, the JVC S400s are a good bargain at $26 shipped. Do the duct tape mod described in the main S400 thread, and it will tighten up the bass response to sound a little better. Might not be quite as much isolation or comfort as you want, but the under $40 category is not a place one can be very choosey.

+1 on the HA-S400.  Unfortunately, however, I am not familiar with your other two choices.  Note that the HA-S400 is on-ear, while the other two choices are circumaural. I do have experience with the JVC HARX300. The HA-S400 is much better sounding than the bass heavy and unfocused HARX300. which would still be my recommendation for a closed full-size can under $15. (I have just noticed that the HARX500 is currently for sale at $12.99 on Amazon, with free shipping.  This seems to be an exceptionally low price for the HARX500; the HARX300 can sometimes be found for $10.)  For better isolation, better bass extension and impact and (to me) better comfort than the HA-S400, but a less refined sound overall, also consider the Philips Citiscape Downtown (SHL5605).  For a comparable sound to the HA-S400 in a less portable package, consider the Beyerdynamic DT-235.  All of these, in my opinion of course, are bested by the CAL! in almost all aspects of sound, but you need to pay more for that, and you lose some isolation and portability with respect to most of the other choices.

Thank you both very much it looks like I'll be ordering the ha s400 very soon, definitely considering CAL! In the near future :)

May 21, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #28,848 of 29,490
I'm looking for closed headphones that are just as good as the AKG K240 that are sound isolating. My budget is around 200 dollars. I'm probably going to sell these headphones if I can find a suitable replacement pair. I like the sound of these and I like how they're comfortable. The music I listen to is every kind of metal, shoegaze, post rock, and post punk.

May 21, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #28,850 of 29,490
Is there a disadvantage in choosing hybrid amps instead of solid state/tube amps? I'm wondering if I should get the Schiit Asgard 2 or go directly to the Lyr

I'm mainly going to be using the SA5000, and eventually HE400 + LCD2 or HD800

May 21, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #28,852 of 29,490
Hey guys. 
I'm looking to change from my V-Moda M80s and Grado 225is. I want something that sounds different from these (though I'm not sure what), to keep things fresh, but if there's a great sounding can that would be a significant upgrade that doesn't necessarily sound that 'different' from my current ones, please let me know as well. I'm pretty flexible on this. 

I listen almost exclusively to rock, from alternative to metal, and some acoustic, softer stuff as well. 
The most important thing I'm looking for are the vocals - I really want them to sound fantastic and be at the forefront. Bass is nice too. 
Open or closed is fine. I'll be using these with a iBasso D-Zero amp, and my price range is $100 - $300

And feel free to recommend any phones you think might suit me that don't necessarily fit into the categories I mentioned, because again, I'm flexible on all of these counts. 

Thanks! 

May 21, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #28,853 of 29,490
Quote:
Is there a disadvantage in choosing hybrid amps instead of solid state/tube amps? I'm wondering if I should get the Schiit Asgard 2 or go directly to the Lyr

I'm mainly going to be using the SA5000, and eventually HE400 + LCD2 or HD800

The SA 5000 is very efficient and probably need neither.  Based on having the Asgard 1, which can drive the HE 500, I highly doubt that you need the power provided by the Lyr for any of these cans.  Beyond that the choice (if it's limited to just these two Schiit amps) comes down to budget personal preference and what each can/amp combination works best together--both objectively and subjectively.

May 21, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #28,854 of 29,490
Quote:
Which pair of headphones would you say is more detailed, the Q701s or the DT880 Pros?

Edit: What is the most detailed and neutral headphone under $250?

The Q 701 on both counts.  The DT 880 Pro is not far off in neutrality but it is a little bright.

May 21, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #28,855 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys. 
I'm looking to change from my V-Moda M80s and Grado 225is. I want something that sounds different from these (though I'm not sure what), to keep things fresh, but if there's a great sounding can that would be a significant upgrade that doesn't necessarily sound that 'different' from my current ones, please let me know as well. I'm pretty flexible on this. 

I listen almost exclusively to rock, from alternative to metal, and some acoustic, softer stuff as well. 
The most important thing I'm looking for are the vocals - I really want them to sound fantastic and be at the forefront. Bass is nice too. 
Open or closed is fine. I'll be using these with a iBasso D-Zero amp, and my price range is $100 - $300

And feel free to recommend any phones you think might suit me that don't necessarily fit into the categories I mentioned, because again, I'm flexible on all of these counts. 

Thanks! 

The two cans you have are dissimilar already.  Next step for you is probably the DT 880 Pro 250 Ohms, as the Q 701 won't offer the level of bass you seek.

May 21, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #28,857 of 29,490
I see...well I'm mostly interested in tube rolling to further customize my personal sound preference. You're making it sound like the Lyr is overkill for high end headphones like the HD800, though. So I suppose in the interest of maximizing SQ with orthodynamic headphones, I should get the Asgard 2, and for maximizing SQ with dynamic headphones, the Valhalla?

What makes you say the Lyr's power isn't necessary for any of the cans I mentioned above though? Is it's only advantage over the Valhalla and Asgard 2 the fact that it's a hybrid?

May 21, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #28,858 of 29,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ternalDr4gon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What makes you say the Lyr's power isn't necessary for any of the cans I mentioned above though? Is it's only advantage over the Valhalla and Asgard 2 the fact that it's a hybrid?

For starters I own the Asgard 1 and Lyr, along with other solid state and hyrid desktop amps.  I also own all the cans you mentioned, except the HE 400.  I have the less efficient and upline HE 500.

Each of the stock Schiit amps has its own sound signature.  So that is a difference to select one over the others.  You can tube roll with the Lyr.  Not sure if you can with the Valhalla.

May 21, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #28,859 of 29,490
  1. Budget? 200-400
  2. Where/how do you plan on using these can? Walking around to class, occasionally listening at home, doing work in library 
  3. What are your isolation needs? Open or closed cans? Closed seems to be better for my needs but I think i like listening to open headphones better, better soundstage.
  1. What kind of music do you listen to and what's the format/bit rate? Listen to mostly trance, EDM, R&b, hip hop, and a lot of other popular modern music
  1. What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using? Laptop, Iphone
I have been looking at mostly 

Vmoda M100
Amperior
Momentum
HD25-ii
K550
fidelio L1

May 21, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #28,860 of 29,490
Looking for a closed set that has oval-shaped ear coupling a la Sennheiser HD 558 or 598. Have K702 but want something closed that's more aggressive. I've asked this before, but haven't gotten that many answers :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back