++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 21, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #28,832 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello! (I am Korean so bare with my horrible grammar)

I am very new to the headphone world and would like some help from the experts here on the Head-Fi forums! I love listening to Classical, Rock, Alternative, Pop- Punk, Hip hop, rap, r&b, kpop, soul, dubstep, and basically every kind of music.. My ear is kind of sensitive and I can't really stand when headphones and earphones mush up the sounds and the different colors in the music start clashing with one another. I am interested in buying something that would make me feel like I am at the recording studio or live in the audience when I'm listening to these songs. Although I would love to invest a ton of money into this, I am very limited since I am only a college student. 

My setting will either be in my room where there is no distractions and basically open back headphones would be fine! Or, at the library where it is REALLY loud and I can not leak my music.. But if I do end up getting open back, I can just use my old earphones for whenever I leave the house...

I do like headphones, but I also REALLY like earphones. I do prefer Circumaural over supra aural. I am looking for a really clean and crisp sound with a little emphasis on the bass! I am a bass player myself and I love hearing riffs in the back by the bassist and crazy guitar solos. I also have a special ear for classical music and love to hear the ostinato coloring the main melody along with the counter melodies, rythms, and harmonies. 

OH! AND I am also a  VERY BIG GAMER! I play League of Legends competitively! and play many other online games whenever I get bored of playing a certain game.

The Headphones and IEMs that I've looked at so far are: * - Will indicate the amount of interest I have in them
ATH A900X - ***
ATH AD900 - ***
Monster Turbine PRO Copper - ****
AKG K550 - ***
DT 770 PRO (Not really sure between 250 OHMS and 80 OHMS)- ***
ATH M50 - **
Shure SRH840 - ***
Sennheiser HD 598 - ***
Sennheiser Amperior - ***

You did not say whether or not you have an amp or your exact budget (although I take you list of cans as come indication of what it is--and I'm guessing $250 in terms of the US market).

Given you budget and all that you want it to do, you will probably have to make some compromises.  You need an open can for gaming but a good one in you price range is going to offer neutral bass at most.  If you have an amp, the DT 880 Pro 250 Ohm version is probably the best overall fit.  It is a bit bright but has good and extended bass--especially in this price range for an open can.  It won't give you the sound stage of the Q701 (which in turn won't give you the bass you want), but you can't have everything at this price point.

If you don't have an amp, you should get the AD900 or AD 900X.  The HD 598 is also good, but is not as good without an amp as are the AT cans.

May 21, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #28,833 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello All,

I'm new to Head-Fi but I've been an audio nut since my high school days (mid 80's).

I am looking for a set of cans for my son.  His Sennheiser HD 428 unfortunately got a short in the cord so we are considering some around the $150 price range.  We've been looking at the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 and the Ultrasone HFI-780, both which can be found online for between $120-$160.  I know the M50 are reviewed very highly and a fantastic bargin for the price but I also know that Ultrasone has always been an upper tier headphone company and that the HFI-780 were originally in a higher price bracket than the M50.

Any other opinions about these or other options we should be thinking about, please chime in and thanks for your interest.

WillOfTheWolf

GEAR
Yamaha YHD-2
AKG K501
Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3 Studio
Little-Bear Audio 12AU7 Vacuum Tube Headphone Amp

I'm going to assume that you does not have an amp.  If that's true, forget about Pro 900 (or 750) as they need one.

You also did not say what sound signature your son is seeking or how he will be using these cans.  Both of the cans you listed as a bit bassy without reaching basshead territory.  The M50 has recessed mids; the 780 not so much.  Both have bright treble.  The M50 comes with a long fixed cord.  So it's not good for on-the-go use.  Between the two, I prefer the HiFi 780 due to its versatility and most all because guitars and vocals aren't as pushed back in the sound signature.

I you want more neutral choices, the Sony MDR 7506 is currently available for under $90.  The KRK KNS 8400 is also very good, but is not for those who require more than neutral-ish bass.

May 21, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #28,834 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello everyone, ordering my first set of non-included headphones this weekend. i'm a broke college kid so I'm trying to keep things around or below 40 dollars. I know some of you might suggest saving up some money and waiting and buying some nicer cans in the near future but I really need some to survive asap. I am looking at some headphones that will do the following fairly well (listed by priority of course)
1. bass extension is a must. I watch movies and play video games a lot and I really like all of the bass effects. i listen to a wide variety of music focused primarily on rock and acoustic guitar and electronic stuff like dubstep
2.isolation. People are loud.
3.comfort. will be worn for up to 4 hours at a time

i have looked at the JVC rx700, Panasonic RP HTF 600 and JVC Ha s400 and i am leaning toward the HTF600 at the moment because according to several posts they are fairly comfortable albeit a bit sweaty. I am open to suggestions though. These will be used with an SGS with Voodoo sound, possibly and HTC One in the future, and very likely a 

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy (sorry that was copied and pasted :) 

thanks a ton everyone!

I would not burn $40 on full sized headphones unless you find a great closeout sale.  You will get far more for you money with IEM's.  If you want full sized cans save up an additional $20 to $40 to make them worth considering vs. other options.

May 21, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #28,835 of 29,490
Quote:
Quick question for anyone who knows.  Since this would be my first time buying a headphone amplifier, I'm concerned that the levels of the bass and treble won't be where I want them, since I think the signal from the back of my receiver will be a "straight signal" that I won't be able to modify like I can plugging into the headphone jack on the front of the receiver and adjust for treble and bass.  Can you please tell me if the treble/mid/bass balance of a head. amp is good, or if the amp I get should have treble and bass controls, for instance like the Fiio E17?  Or maybe I'll need to get an equalizer too?  Thanks!  PS...I've settled on the Sennheiser HD 600s.

That OT here.  There are other sections of the forum that deal with amps and sound science.

May 21, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #28,836 of 29,490
Quote:
Your K701s have a reputation for great soundstage (I've only heard the Q701s). Is that what you are looking for? Something better than them? In some ways that is what a good home audio setup can do--give you that very big surround and soundstage effect.

they lack bass impact. i at least would enjoy some bass. i'm not a bass head or anything. i don't mind open, but semi-open preferred. closed is too... strange. unless there is a closed that can offer an open like sound (i doubt it).

May 21, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #28,838 of 29,490
Amazing that I've had an account on here for over a decade...

Currently amping with a FiiO E10 but will probably get something bigger and shinier soon. I'm looking for headphones with visceral bass in the $300-$600 range. I've enjoyed listening with ATH-M50s for a while now.

I solidly prefer a warm sound over a bright sound. I only hear to 15 kHz. I tell myself that I listen to an eclectic array of music, and I do (last.fm/user/kevin143) but realistically I listen to more electronic music (bass music) than anything else. I do not consider myself a bass head though -- I don't want more bass at the expense of the rest of the music, and I know how to use an equalizer. 

Phones I'm considering:

Sennheiser Momentum
Mad Dog
HE-400
Unknown higher end Audio Technica cans, possibly from recent Japanese import line?

I would like to get what feels like a solid upgrade over the M50s, as well as something that is more comfortable for long term listening. 

May 21, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #28,839 of 29,490
they lack bass impact. i at least would enjoy some bass. i'm not a bass head or anything. i don't mind open, but semi-open preferred. closed is too... strange. unless there is a closed that can offer an open like sound (i doubt it).

Well, the K550s, which you've already tried, are closed headphones with a big soundstage and more bass than the K701s. If that wasn't enough bass for you and you want open, maybe the DT990s or the HE-400s.

May 21, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #28,840 of 29,490
Hello everyone, ordering my first set of non-included headphones this weekend. i'm a broke college kid so I'm trying to keep things around or below 40 dollars. I know some of you might suggest saving up some money and waiting and buying some nicer cans in the near future but I really need some to survive asap. I am looking at some headphones that will do the following fairly well (listed by priority of course)
1. bass extension is a must. I watch movies and play video games a lot and I really like all of the bass effects. i listen to a wide variety of music focused primarily on rock and acoustic guitar and electronic stuff like dubstep

i have looked at the JVC rx700, Panasonic RP HTF 600 and JVC Ha s400 and i am leaning toward the HTF600 at the moment because according to several posts they are fairly comfortable albeit a bit sweaty. I am open to suggestions though. These will be used with an SGS with Voodoo sound, possibly and HTC One in the future, and very likely a 

thanks a ton everyone!

For bass extension and a good sound, the JVC S400s are a good bargain at $26 shipped. Do the duct tape mod described in the main S400 thread, and it will tighten up the bass response to sound a little better. Might not be quite as much isolation or comfort as you want, but the under $40 category is not a place one can be very choosey.

May 21, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #28,841 of 29,490
Quote:

thanks a ton everyone!

+1 on the HA-S400.  Unfortunately, however, I am not familiar with your other two choices.  Note that the HA-S400 is on-ear, while the other two choices are circumaural. I do have experience with the JVC HARX300. The HA-S400 is much better sounding than the bass heavy and unfocused HARX300. which would still be my recommendation for a closed full-size can under $15. (I have just noticed that the HARX500 is currently for sale at $12.99 on Amazon, with free shipping.  This seems to be an exceptionally low price for the HARX500; the HARX300 can sometimes be found for $10.)  For better isolation, better bass extension and impact and (to me) better comfort than the HA-S400, but a less refined sound overall, also consider the Philips Citiscape Downtown (SHL5605).  For a comparable sound to the HA-S400 in a less portable package, consider the Beyerdynamic DT-235.  All of these, in my opinion of course, are bested by the CAL! in almost all aspects of sound, but you need to pay more for that, and you lose some isolation and portability with respect to most of the other choices.

May 21, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #28,842 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm interested in reading a comparison of HE 500 and Beyer dt990 in bass and soundstage. Can anyone give some input on this ?

Those cans are of different sound signatures, different price ranges and in far different classes.  As a result you'll be hard pressed to find many direct comparisons, especially from professional reviewers.  However, google (etc.) is your friend, if you use it.  Try searching: "he 500 vs. dt 990".

May 21, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #28,844 of 29,490
Quote:
Well, the K550s, which you've already tried, are closed headphones with a big soundstage and more bass than the K701s. If that wasn't enough bass for you and you want open, maybe the DT990s or the HE-400s.

Quote:
thanks i'll look into those.

You may want to consider the Philips Fidelio X1 as well.

May 21, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #28,845 of 29,490
I have the Monoprice 8323.  How much would I have to spend to get a significant upgrade, and what headphones would that be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back