++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 19, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #28,757 of 29,490
Quote:

Hmm, I see. Well, looks like I'm more leaning towards Q701. After hearing so many people that it's really "hard" to drive AKG K/Q series I'm a bit reluctant to buy another AKG cans since I don't have a good amp. 

Also, where do you get the anni pads? Once again, I'm really confused where to get one.

Don't bother with the Q701 if you're coming from the K701 and want more bass.

The DT 880 has clarity that is roughly equivalent to the 701 series with much fuller bass response. It does not roll-off in the sub-bass frequencies nearly as poorly as the 701s do.

The DT 880s only compromise on a slighter narrower sound field and slightly soft attack. Its clarity is comparable, its imaging superior and its bass certainly on another level. I believe that the 880's bass is the best of the 650/701/880 in capturing pitch and texture.

May 19, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #28,758 of 29,490
Thanks for the reply.
Regarding the serious open headphones have good quality?

These headphones (DT990) have good midrange / tweeter for songs with vocals, rock music and hip-hop?

Apart from them (look very nice) recommend any other alternative?

May 19, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #28,759 of 29,490
Quote:
When comes down to something like this, there is simply no substitute for putting both on your head and listening.

Graphs are fine, but don't fall in love with them.  They are yet another useful but imperfect tool.  Yours ears give the final exam.

Alright thanks for the info. I think I'll just save up more to get K702 annie. Seems like a reasonable choice instead of getting the same/similar K701/Q701.

May 19, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #28,760 of 29,490
Quote:
Don't bother with the Q701 if you're coming from the K701 and want more bass.

The DT 880 has clarity that is roughly equivalent to the 701 series with much fuller bass response. It does not roll-off in the sub-bass frequencies nearly as poorly as the 701s do.

The DT 880s only compromise on a slighter narrower sound field and slightly soft attack. Its clarity is comparable, its imaging superior and its bass certainly on another level. I believe that the 880's bass is the best of the 650/701/880 in capturing pitch and texture.

Yes, I've just read reports from people saying that its bass is on "other level" compared to neutral/less AKG K series. But overall, I'm not focusing on bass as I just want a little boost from what I hear on K701.

But I'll keep an eye onto DT880.

May 19, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #28,761 of 29,490
Hey guys! I'm new to this whole audiophile thing and I'm getting 100% over whelmed! I'm over analytical and was hoping you guys could help my out. I've read a lot on this site and on headphone.com and I just can't make a decision on what headphones to get to upgrade from my 20$ earbuds. I'm looking for full ear headphones and I listen rock, alternative, country, folk, blues, classical, electronic... pretty much any genre of music. I plan on taking the headphones with me to school, commutes, and using them on my both my android phone and my dell so I need portability. I have a budget of 250$ to spend. I have no amp/dac so if the the headphones need them keep that in mind with the budget. I don't mind getting an amp further down the road but not for a while.

I was thinking about getting Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 250 ohms with a fiio e7 for 240$ but I'm not sure if this is a good setup for mobility. I also don't know if the e7's battery life would be a problem and if the amp would be able to handle 250 ohms well. I don't know if I could simply pay 250$ for just some headphones that sound the same without having to even worry about an amp. Any recommendations?

May 19, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #28,762 of 29,490
Hi all,

After my review of the Coffman Labs H1-A, I'm wondering what other headphones perform well to recreate live acoustic music - classical, jazz, etc. I used the K702 for the review, which worked very well. However, I'd like to try a few different headphones before I make a purchase.

Thanks,

-sheldon

May 19, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #28,763 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys! I'm new to this whole audiophile thing and I'm getting 100% over whelmed! I'm over analytical and was hoping you guys could help my out. I've read a lot on this site and on headphone.com and I just can't make a decision on what headphones to get to upgrade from my 20$ earbuds. I'm looking for full ear headphones and I listen rock, alternative, country, folk, blues, classical, electronic... pretty much any genre of music. I plan on taking the headphones with me to school, commutes, and using them on my both my android phone and my dell so I need portability. I have a budget of 250$ to spend. I have no amp/dac so if the the headphones need them keep that in mind with the budget. I don't mind getting an amp further down the road but not for a while.

I was thinking about getting Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 250 ohms with a fiio e7 for 240$ but I'm not sure if this is a good setup for mobility. I also don't know if the e7's battery life would be a problem and if the amp would be able to handle 250 ohms well. I don't know if I could simply pay 250$ for just some headphones that sound the same without having to even worry about an amp. Any recommendations?

There is also the SRH840 and sennheiser HD 25-1-II. One nice thing about the SRH840 is it has a detachable cable. In my opinion, though, you're missing out on the audiophile journey by jumping up so high in price! :p

May 19, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #28,764 of 29,490
Quote:
There is also the SRH840 and sennheiser HD 25-1-II. One nice thing about the SRH840 is it has a detachable cable. In my opinion, though, you're missing out on the audiophile journey by jumping up so high in price! :p

haha well I hope by skipping out on the journey I will be able to avoid making audiopile a hobby. I'm hoping these headphones will last me years.

May 19, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #28,766 of 29,490
Quote:

The DT 770 is very large and comes with a long cord.  It will not work for your intended use.  It also has a "V" shaped EQ with recessed mids.  That is a poor sound signature match for most of the musical genres you have listed.

You need an efficient closed can for intended uses.  Beyond that you need to let us know what sound signature you prefer.  A very good place to start is with the buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread.

May 19, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #28,768 of 29,490
Hi, I need some help picking some headphones.

I'm very new to the audio-phile scene so my preferences for sound quality aren't as high as they could be, but I'd like something that sounds decent enough to play what I want it to.
Basic wants include: decent isolation, a certain amount of portability and the necessary amount of comfort for multiple hours of listening; a little styling/flair would help to satisfy my "coolness" need, being the teen that I am :D.   I listen to quite a variety of music except for rock/metal, country or rap (stuff I've been listening to lately: Alt-J, the Neighbourhood, Mumford and sons, Overwerk and other assorted house/electro music from Monstercat, Woodkid, and various genres of Classical music as I'm a Classical musician myself), and I'd like something that has a more overreaching sound signature.
I'll be playing music on my 160GB iPod classic without an amp (partly because I can't afford it, and partly because I'm still not sure what on earth they're for!), and sometimes on a family iMac.

The 2 headphones I've set my sights on are the Phiaton ms400's, and the RHA sa950i's.  The RHA's have the advantage of being much cheaper, and even though they're newer, people seem to like them by all accounts.  I'd love to get a pair of V-Moda M-80's or M-100's, but a mix between the expense and the lack of isolation has repelled me a bit.  

If you think a different pair of headphones would suit me better, I'd rather not spend more than about $130 at the moment, and preferably less.

Thanks!

May 19, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #28,769 of 29,490
Quote:
The DT 770 is very large and comes with a long cord.  It will not work for your intended use.  It also has a "V" shaped EQ with recessed mids.  That is a poor sound signature match for most of the musical genres you have listed.

You need an efficient closed can for intended uses.  Beyond that you need to let us know what sound signature you prefer.  A very good place to start is with the buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread.

Well, I have no way of testing nice headphones so I'm not sure exactly what I would like but something neutral probably (maybe a little analytical) , definitely not colored. What do you mean by efficient and why do you recommend that? 

May 19, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #28,770 of 29,490
Quote:

Well, I have no way of testing nice headphones so I'm not sure exactly what I would like but something neutral probably (maybe a little analytical) , definitely not colored. What do you mean by efficient and why do you recommend that? 

Something that is efficient has no need for an amp or DAC. It can play music straight out of an mp3 player or a smart phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back