++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 13, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #28,502 of 29,490
Best open headphones under $300? Also what should you prioritize in buying, your DAC or your Amp?

Here are four popular ones: AKG Q701, Beyerdynamic DT880, Sennheiser HD598, and Grado SR225i. AS for which is the "best" for you? I suggest reading reviews and researching each on the forum :)

As for DACs and amps, what kind of source will you be playing these with? If you don't have any sort of headphone amp already, I think the Q701 and DT880 really need one. Grados are easy to drive. Haven't heard the HD598, so I don't know how hard it is to drive.

May 13, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #28,504 of 29,490
  • Budget: Nothing specific. I'm willing to wait and save, but the highest I'd probably go would be the 650.
  • Where: Home.
  • Isolation: None required.
  • Kind of music: Pretty cliched "everything", except for country and "hard" edm stuff. So rock, alternative, punk, with some electronic. Thumpy skull-rattle bass isn't required though.
  • Quality: 320 mp3-flac.
  • Source: Computer-->Music Stream II-->Then either ef2a or schiit magni. Probably ef2a since it's a tube hybrid, in this case.

If you can afford it, go for either the 600 or 650. There are some reviews of them here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-ultimate-ears-uerm-added-4-14-13

And here are appreciation threads for each:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/538255/sennheiser-hd-600-appreciation-thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/197776/sennheiser-hd650-appreciation-thread

May 13, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #28,505 of 29,490
Short: comfy non-USB headset with deep earcups for helix pierced gamer, up to 100€

Long:

Hey there.
My Logitech G35 did his job well and stopped working after glorious 3 years. Meanwhile I got a Creative Soundblaster Z sound card and want my new headset to be non-USB. I would search for a thread about gaming headsets but that's not exactly what I need. I have a helix piercing at my left ear and it hurts after a while when the ear gets pushed against my head. I bought the Steelseres Siberia V2 recently and it hurt after just 10 minutes, so I sent it back. That's why I need earcups that are at least as deep as the ones on the G35. Since I have no possibility to wear all the available headsets to try them, I decided to ask you.
Is there a Headset you can recommend?

More info:
It does not necessarily have to be a headset, it could be headphones plus a good microphone aswell. I have a mechanical keyboard and the microphone should be able to not activate the voice transmission by just smashing the keyboard.
Ear-enclosing, open or closed cans.
I listen to music with my spakers, the headset doesn't have to be secialized in music, I'll mainly play (fps/moba) games with that thing.
I play at home in a pretty quiet environment if you ignore the keyboard smashing, isolation is optional.
It should have a good microphone on it, at least as good as the one on the G35.
It will be plugged directly into the Soundblaster Z.
The price range: It would be great if you could recommend me something that's abround 30-50€ and something that's around 50-100€ and tell me which features justify the higher price so that I can ponder them.

Oh, I live in germany and I already thought about getting the modmic thingie but the shipping and taxes are way too expensive.

Hope you can help me with your experience regarding comfy headsets.

Greetings and have a nice day :)
Görkem

Edit: sorry, I just noticed this might be the wrong thread for asking for headsets. Please tell me if I should open a new thread and where I should do it. Thanks!

May 13, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #28,506 of 29,490
Quote:
Here are four popular ones: AKG Q701, Beyerdynamic DT880, Sennheiser HD598, and Grado SR225i. AS for which is the "best" for you? I suggest reading reviews and researching each on the forum
smily_headphones1.gif

As for DACs and amps, what kind of source will you be playing these with? If you don't have any sort of headphone amp already, I think the Q701 and DT880 really need one. Grados are easy to drive. Haven't heard the HD598, so I don't know how hard it is to drive.

The V shape for DT880s don't appeal to me very much so I think the 701s seem to be my wanted pair for sure now. I don't have a DAC/AMP yet, any suggestions? I heard the 701s are hard to amp. The Magni/Modi looks pretty appealing but maybe I should grab an Asgard 2/Modi?

May 13, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #28,507 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Here are four popular ones: AKG Q701, Beyerdynamic DT880, Sennheiser HD598, and Grado SR225i. AS for which is the "best" for you? I suggest reading reviews and researching each on the forum
smily_headphones1.gif

The V shape for DT880s don't appeal to me very much so I think the 701s seem to be my wanted pair for sure now. I don't have a DAC/AMP yet, any suggestions? I heard the 701s are hard to amp. The Magni/Modi looks pretty appealing but maybe I should grab an Asgard 2/Modi?

The DT 880's are very, very close to neutral.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-ultimate-ears-uerm-added-4-14-13#user_DT880

May 13, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #28,509 of 29,490
Need something under $200 that has a shorter cord (or removable) over the ear. 
I want to replace my V-moda Crossfades (don't work with my style music, too bass heavy and hip hop orientated). 
Style - Closed
Music - indie, rock
Price - $200
*not too bass heavy, prefer clean vocals/ highs
prefer to use w/o amp but the most would be a FIIO E6. 
My current stable (Sennheiser 485, AKG Q701, Sennhesier HD280, Sony MDR-V55) *& soon to be gone V-Moda Crossfades)

Thanks.

May 13, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #28,510 of 29,490
Quote:
The DT 880's are very, very close to neutral.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-ultimate-ears-uerm-added-4-14-13#user_DT880

This makes me rethink them. Though I'm not too much into heavy bass and I prefer a better treble experience so I still think I'll be sticking with AKG for this one. Though I'm still confused on DACs and Amps.

May 13, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #28,511 of 29,490

Agreed.

And I would think the Magni would be fine for driving the Q701s, but you could always ask in the Magni thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/640783/schiit-magni-headphone-amplifier

May 13, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #28,512 of 29,490
Quote:
Need something under $200 that has a shorter cord (or removable) over the ear. 
I want to replace my V-moda Crossfades (don't work with my style music, too bass heavy and hip hop orientated). 
Style - Closed
Music - indie, rock
Price - $200
*not too bass heavy, prefer clean vocals/ highs
prefer to use w/o amp but the most would be a FIIO E6. 
My current stable (Sennheiser 485, AKG Q701, Sennhesier HD280, Sony MDR-V55) *& soon to be gone V-Moda Crossfades)

Thanks.

If you can find a used Shure SRH940 for that price, I think it would be great. Have you looked into Grado's headphones?

May 13, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #28,513 of 29,490
Quote:
Well hello there. Looking for some recommendations. 

I think its time to upgrade from my sennheiser HD 448. I really do like its sound. 

Looking to spend no more that $250 on the headphone. I have the magni/modi amp and dac combo. It will be for home use so it can be open or closed. I find the HD 448 are really good for music but not so good for movies and gaming. 

So what good cans are there for no more than $250 that do movies and gaming well?

Bump again. :frowning2: . No advice? someone? anyone?

May 13, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #28,515 of 29,490
Short: comfy non-USB headset with deep earcups for helix pierced gamer, up to 100€

Long:

Hey there.
My Logitech G35 did his job well and stopped working after glorious 3 years. Meanwhile I got a Creative Soundblaster Z sound card and want my new headset to be non-USB. I would search for a thread about gaming headsets but that's not exactly what I need. I have a helix piercing at my left ear and it hurts after a while when the ear gets pushed against my head. I bought the Steelseres Siberia V2 recently and it hurt after just 10 minutes, so I sent it back. That's why I need earcups that are at least as deep as the ones on the G35. Since I have no possibility to wear all the available headsets to try them, I decided to ask you.
Is there a Headset you can recommend?

More info:
It does not necessarily have to be a headset, it could be headphones plus a good microphone aswell. I have a mechanical keyboard and the microphone should be able to not activate the voice transmission by just smashing the keyboard.
Ear-enclosing, open or closed cans.
I listen to music with my spakers, the headset doesn't have to be secialized in music, I'll mainly play (fps/moba) games with that thing.

I play at home in a pretty quiet environment if you ignore the keyboard smashing, isolation is optional.
It should have a good microphone on it, at least as good as the one on the G35.
It will be plugged directly into the Soundblaster Z.
The price range: It would be great if you could recommend me something that's abround 30-50€ and something that's around 50-100€ and tell me which features justify the higher price so that I can ponder them.

Oh, I live in germany and I already thought about getting the modmic thingie but the shipping and taxes are way too expensive.

Hope you can help me with your experience regarding comfy headsets.

Greetings and have a nice day :)
Görkem

Edit: sorry, I just noticed this might be the wrong thread for asking for headsets. Please tell me if I should open a new thread and where I should do it. Thanks!

I also had the G35 for many years. Impressive surround virtualization. There's only one thing to step up to next. AD700 with an Antlion ModMic. The best competitive gaming headphone setup, period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back