++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 13, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #28,486 of 29,490
Keeping this short and sweet. Looking for full size circumaural phones. No more than £150 GBP. Listen to dubstep, dance, trance but also some pop/rock. Comfort is really important since I wear glasses and have big ears (I know comfort is opinion, but any headphones generally regarded as comfortable). 

May 13, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #28,487 of 29,490
Quote:
Keeping this short and sweet. Looking for full size circumaural phones. No more than £150 GBP. Listen to dubstep, dance, trance but also some pop/rock. Comfort is really important since I wear glasses and have big ears (I know comfort is opinion, but any headphones generally regarded as comfortable). 

beyerdynamic is highly regarded in comfort.  can't comment on any model but dt880's, but those will likely lack the bass you may be looking for in those genres 

May 13, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #28,488 of 29,490
Quote:

The DT990s would suit perfectly, as they're as comfy as DT880s with more bass and treble.

May 13, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #28,489 of 29,490
I have been reading this forum for awhile now and I just registered finally to get some specific advice on headphones.  First off, my setup:

iPad 3
iPod Nano (latest generation)
FiiO E11 (just bought this)
iTunes match music
Handbrake converted 720 movies
Coby CV195 noise cancelling headphones (I know...they were free)

So basically what I am doing is completely re-doing my travel pack.  I will be on the road between 40-70 days the rest of this year with flights all over the world so I wanted to upgrade everything to make flying a little easier and listening to movies/music in an airplane easier along with blocking out as much noise as possible.

I am trying to determine is active noise cancelling or noise isolation would be my best option here so I need some advice on headphones to choose from.  Couple caveats on this:
1.  No in ear stuff period, I want cans.  I can't stand anything in my ear so that's not going to work.
2.  I want to stay under $350.00 if possible.
3.  As much noise reduction as possible without sacrificing too much quality. (anything I pick can't be worse than my Coby's)
4.  I listen to a lot to techno/trance.....then it's more rock/alternative rock/symphony.

I have been eyeballing the V-Moda Crossfade M-100 for noise isolation and the PSB M4U 2 for active noise cancelling so far to give you an idea where I am right now.

I appreciate everyone's help in advance.

May 13, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #28,490 of 29,490
Quote:
I have been reading this forum for awhile now and I just registered finally to get some specific advice on headphones.  First off, my setup:

iPad 3
iPod Nano (latest generation)
FiiO E11 (just bought this)
iTunes match music
Handbrake converted 720 movies
Coby CV195 noise cancelling headphones (I know...they were free)

So basically what I am doing is completely re-doing my travel pack.  I will be on the road between 40-70 days the rest of this year with flights all over the world so I wanted to upgrade everything to make flying a little easier and listening to movies/music in an airplane easier along with blocking out as much noise as possible.

I am trying to determine is active noise cancelling or noise isolation would be my best option here so I need some advice on headphones to choose from.  Couple caveats on this:
1.  No in ear stuff period, I want cans.  I can't stand anything in my ear so that's not going to work.
2.  I want to stay under $350.00 if possible.
3.  As much noise reduction as possible without sacrificing too much quality. (anything I pick can't be worse than my Coby's)
4.  I listen to a lot to techno/trance.....then it's more rock/alternative rock/symphony.

I have been eyeballing the V-Moda Crossfade M-100 for noise isolation and the PSB M4U 2 for active noise cancelling so far to give you an idea where I am right now.

I appreciate everyone's help in advance.

I do a fair amount of traveling and was in the market to revise my mobile rig a couple months ago with your very same budget. I was looking at the M-100, UE 6000, and Momentum before I finally landed on the MDR-1R. For you and your tastes, I recommend the same thing unless you really want some extended bass, in which case, I'd recommend the M-100, a basshead's delight. All of these appear on InnerFidelity's Hall of Fame and all of them are efficient enough to run without an amp which will help with travel greatly. None of these have any active noise canceling on them, though, as I can't stand the hit in quality. And it's a large hit.

May 13, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #28,492 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello all,

what's the most neutral (balanced), detailed headphone, with fairly balanced and extended bass thats ideal for mixing/critical listening but also does not need an amp for the iPhone?

- Currently have the Shure SRH840 (studio recording work and general listening) - love the treble and mid detail, hate the non-detailed bass (closed sound?), and listening on it makes me feel like im distant from the performer.
- Have TF10 (for on stage work) - it does what I need it to do, lets me hear every instrument on stage well, from bass, bass drum to keys and electric..) not too impressed with the sound, just a really good all rounder.
- Alessandro MS1a - not happy with it, non balanced sound (boomy mid bass), but Adele's 21 album sounds amazing on it. So I bought it.

Recommendations? Dont care about closed/open - just care about the sound.

Get the best Sony studio can you can afford that is efficient enough--like the MDR 7520.

May 13, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #28,494 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Get the best Sony studio can you can afford that is efficient enough--like the MDR 7520.

I thought Open headphones are generally better per $$?

For studio work closed cans are generally preferred, if not required.

Further--I know of no open can which does not require an amp which is as neutral as the Sony studio can options.  The closest may be the Sony MDR-MA900.

May 13, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #28,495 of 29,490
Might start my own thread, but figured I'd ask here first.

Any opinion on which "high end" Sennheiser is most similar sounding to the hd 428? I bought it just to try it the Sennheiser signature, and I rather like it. Wondering where to go. 600/650 or 595/598, or something else?

May 13, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #28,496 of 29,490
Quote:

Further--I know of no open can which does not require an amp which is as neutral as the Sony studio can options.  The closest may be the Sony MDR-MA900.

I won't be using the cans for studio recording - I have the Shure SRH840 for that. I wanted one as sort of a reference, uncoloured set that I can use when I'm arranging, mixing, playing with effects/sounds etc.
Outside of work, I also want this set to be the set I sue when I kick back and listen to songs on my iPhone ha.
Are Sony cans regarded as the most neutral brand then? Why are they not held in higher regard here? All I even hear about are AKGs, Audio Technicas, Senns and Shures...

Thank you!

May 13, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #28,497 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

I won't be using the cans for studio recording - I have the Shure SRH840 for that. I wanted one as sort of a reference, uncoloured set that I can use when I'm arranging, mixing, playing with effects/sounds etc.
Outside of work, I also want this set to be the set I sue when I kick back and listen to songs on my iPhone ha.
Are Sony cans regarded as the most neutral brand then? Why are they not held in higher regard here? All I even hear about are AKGs, Audio Technicas, Senns and Shures...

Thank you!

Not everyone wants neutral--just ask a Beats fan.  It's true in fair less extreme examples as well.

Studio cans are generally designed to be neutral. It's not only Sony, but also KRK and the Shure SRH 940.

Studio cans tend to be dry and give a very unforgiving analysis of what is put into them.  Many people don't want that and much of music put cannot withstand that scrutiny.

Most of the best neutral oriented open cans need an amp or at least cry for one to get their best.  The DT 880 Premium, T1, HD 600, HD 800, HE 500 and HE 6 all come to mind.

May 13, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #28,498 of 29,490
Quote:
Well hello there. Looking for some recommendations. 

I think its time to upgrade from my sennheiser HD 448. I really do like its sound. 

Looking to spend no more that $250 on the headphone. I have the magni/modi amp and dac combo. It will be for home use so it can be open or closed. I find the HD 448 are really good for music but not so good for movies and gaming. 

So what good cans are there for no more than $250 that do movies and gaming well?

Bump :frowning2:

May 13, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #28,499 of 29,490
Quote:
Might start my own thread, but figured I'd ask here first.

Any opinion on which "high end" Sennheiser is most similar sounding to the hd 428? I bought it just to try it the Sennheiser signature, and I rather like it. Wondering where to go. 600/650 or 595/598, or something else?

Don't start a new thread for this. A couple of questions...

1. Budget?
  2. Where/how do you plan on using these can?
  3. What are your isolation needs? Open or closed cans?
  4. What kind of music do you listen to and what's the format/bit rate?
  5. What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using?

May 13, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #28,500 of 29,490
Quote:
Don't start a new thread for this. A couple of questions...

1. Budget?
  2. Where/how do you plan on using these can?
  3. What are your isolation needs? Open or closed cans?
  4. What kind of music do you listen to and what's the format/bit rate?
  5. What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using?

1. Budget: Nothing specific. I'm willing to wait and save, but the highest I'd probably go would be the 650.
  2. Where: Home.
  3. Isolation: None required.
  4. Kind of music: Pretty cliched "everything", except for country and "hard" edm stuff. So rock, alternative, punk, with some electronic. Thumpy skull-rattle bass isn't required though.
  5. Quality: 320 mp3-flac.
  6. Source: Computer-->Music Stream II-->Then either ef2a or schiit magni. Probably ef2a since it's a tube hybrid, in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back