++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 12, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #28,456 of 29,490
Could anyone help me with narrowing down my choices? Typically I listen to various forms of blues, rock, and classical. Sometimes I'll listen to Rap, but not much and never techo, electronica, dubstep, etc.

Preferences
Open Full Size
Price range of ~$200
Comfortable
AMP unnecessary (Perhaps I'll look into buying one later)

Headphones I had in mind, the fischer fa-003, fa-011 - the hd 598 (or another type) and the MDR MA900 - and perhaps some form of beyerdynamic DT's

I'm unsure on these and it seems like the ma900's would be a good choice.
I also recently saw a thread about the somic mh463 which are super cheap, yet interested me a bit for using on diff. types of music.

The absolute best headphones I've ever used were A700's, the closed version of ad700. So i'm a tad bit new.

May 12, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #28,457 of 29,490
Hi all,

i need an improvement on my Brainwavz HM5 / Fisher FA003
i like soundstage and crisp details.

I've got an amp already so no worries about impedance.

Take care

May 12, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #28,460 of 29,490
Well hello there. Looking for some recommendations. 

I think its time to upgrade from my sennheiser HD 448. I really do like its sound. 

Looking to spend no more that $250 on the headphone. I have the magni/modi amp and dac combo. It will be for home use so it can be open or closed. I find the HD 448 are really good for music but not so good for movies and gaming. 

So what good cans are there for no more than $250 that do movies and gaming well?

May 12, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #28,461 of 29,490
Hi everyone! I'm looking for a pair of noise isolating headphones, and I was hoping you all could help. :)

Budget: My Ideal budget is around $60, But more realistically anything around $80 would be fine.

Location: I plan to mostly use these headphones while I am at home on my I-pod touch or Laptop. But If possible it would be a HUGE plus to be able to use them while I am out.

My priorities are:

Comfort: I probably will be using these for hours a day (even while not listening to music,) so comfort is very important. I would prefer a pair of full sized headphones that will cover my ears and yet not squeeze to hard (because I am sure I am too sensitive for that.. lol) Though a pair like that might be hard to find because my head is larger than average.. :/ Also I am not at all interested in in-ear buds. (Sorry I'm picky aren't I? :frowning2: )

Sound Isolation: One of the main reasons I am looking for a pair of headphones is Sound-Isolation. To put it simply my family is SO ridiculously loud that it is a must.. They often sound like they are in my talking in my room when in fact they are across the house... X_X Also my sister often plays piano for about a hour a day, and her piano playing is so loud that it all but completely drowns out whatever I am listening too. (even though we are on separate floors.. SIGH..) Oops, I got a bit sidetracked there, but what I was trying to say was the more sound isolation the better!

Sound: Recently I noticed how much better music can sound on better equipment. For instance the difference between laptop speakers vs my car's speakers is like night and day. I LOVE hearing all the extra detail my songs have when I listen to them in my car. So the best quality sound quality i can get would be awesome!

Music: I mostly listen to J-pop/rock (LiSA, Eir Aoi, Flow, Maaya Sakamoto, etc) Pop/rock (Kelly Clarkson, Ashlee Simpson, Lilix, Mariah Carey, Demi Levato, Adele, etc ) 70s/80s music (Taylor Dayne, Bonnie Tyler, Stevie Wonder) and some older 50s and 60s music (Kim Weston, The Shangri-las, The blossoms.) So any pair of of headphones that would suit most (if not all) these genres would be great :D!

I've been doing lots of research and I noticed a few pairs I might like. The Sennheiser PX 200 II Closed Mini Headphones with Integrated Vol Control are my current first choice, however I heard some poor reviews on the sound isolation so that concerns me...(if anyone that has a pair could tell me how well it isolates compared to covering my ears that would be great.) I also was considering buying a pair Creative Aurura Live, Beyerdynamic DTX 501P Lightweight Portable, or JVC HARX900 High-Grade Full-Size Headphones. However, I am still unsure and I am open to any suggestion! :) Thanks in advance for all of your help :)

May 12, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #28,462 of 29,490
Hi everyone! I'm looking for a pair of noise isolating headphones, and I was hoping you all could help. :)

Budget: My Ideal budget is around $60, But more realistically anything around $80 would be fine.

Location: I plan to mostly use these headphones while I am at home on my I-pod touch or Laptop. But If possible it would be a HUGE plus to be able to use them while I am out.

My priorities are:

Comfort: I probably will be using these for hours a day (even while not listening to music,) so comfort is very important. I would prefer a pair of full sized headphones that will cover my ears and yet not squeeze to hard (because I am sure I am too sensitive for that.. lol) Though a pair like that might be hard to find because my head is larger than average.. :/ Also I am not at all interested in in-ear buds. (Sorry I'm picky aren't I? :frowning2: )

Sound Isolation: One of the main reasons I am looking for a pair of headphones is Sound-Isolation. To put it simply my family is SO ridiculously loud that it is a must.. They often sound like they are in my talking in my room when in fact they are across the house... X_X Also my sister often plays piano for about a hour a day, and her piano playing is so loud that it all but completely drowns out whatever I am listening too. (even though we are on separate floors.. SIGH..) Oops, I got a bit sidetracked there, but what I was trying to say was the more sound isolation the better!

Sound: Recently I noticed how much better music can sound on better equipment. For instance the difference between laptop speakers vs my car's speakers is like night and day. I LOVE hearing all the extra detail my songs have when I listen to them in my car. So the best quality sound quality i can get would be awesome!

Music: I mostly listen to J-pop/rock (LiSA, Eir Aoi, Flow, Maaya Sakamoto, etc) Pop/rock (Kelly Clarkson, Ashlee Simpson, Lilix, Mariah Carey, Demi Levato, Adele, etc ) 70s/80s music (Taylor Dayne, Bonnie Tyler, Stevie Wonder) and some older 50s and 60s music (Kim Weston, The Shangri-las, The blossoms.) So any pair of of headphones that would suit most (if not all) these genres would be great :D!

I've been doing lots of research and I noticed a few pairs I might like. The Sennheiser PX 200 II Closed Mini Headphones with Integrated Vol Control are my current first choice, however I heard some poor reviews on the sound isolation so that concerns me...(if anyone that has a pair could tell me how well it isolates compared to covering my ears that would be great.) I also was considering buying a pair Creative Aurura Live, Beyerdynamic DTX 501P Lightweight Portable, or JVC HARX900 High-Grade Full-Size Headphones. However, I am still unsure and I am open to any suggestion! :) Thanks in advance for all of your help :)

Sony MDR-V6 have very good isolation and are a good all around headphone for a wide range of genres. $60 on Amazon at the moment.

May 12, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #28,464 of 29,490
Looking for some headphones, preferably closed ones. Any help is highly appreciated! I'm currently having sennheiser HD518 (which I prefer to 598) but I find these phones not suitable for my type of listening.
The bass doesnt have too much impact and highs are too harsh. Love male vocals on these though, but those I rarely listen.
I used to have Denon AH-D1001 which went dead after couple of years, but I really liked those (nice highs, great bass impact when equalized).

What I'm mainly listening to:
Electro house
Chillout
Female vocals

What I'm searching for:
Preferably closed
Solid bass impact
Soft highs but nothing dark
Soundstage
Must be comfortable for long sessions
Price range $50-300

Any suggestions are welcome. I'm running headphones through PC-soundcard with amp.

May 12, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #28,465 of 29,490
I came from Beats Pro (only because they were free) and became very used to that sound, but wanted to try an upgrade, so I bought the dt880's (32 ohm, portability is very important to me).  I've really enjoyed the 880s, but because I was so used to the hyped sound of the Beats, the 880's are lacking in bass and the highs are a bit too harsh for me.  SO I went ahead and purchased the dt990's 32 ohm to hopefully make up in the bass/sub bass.  I haven't listened to them yet, but they're waiting for me in the mail for when I get back home. 

I realized soon after purchasing the 990s that I need minimal leakage, so I prefer a closed headphone.  

So now, I'm leaning towards trying out the dt770 32 ohm, or just pulling the trigger on the t5p.  They seem to hit all my marks, except I haven't listened to either.  

How do the 770 & t5p compare (which has more bass and is more gentle on the treble), what are similarities between t5p to the 880 or 990, and what would you recommend? 

Thanks all!
-bliss

May 12, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #28,469 of 29,490
How do sennheiser px100 II's compare to their price point competition? As reference points, I have:

-koss portapro's

-jvc harx700

Have you seen this thread? Joker's reviews are generally very good: http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-107-portable-headphones-reviewed-astrotec-as-100hd-as-200hd-added-12-02-12

May 12, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #28,470 of 29,490
Quote:
I've posted in this thread before, but at the time I had a much broader selection of headphones that I was considering and since then I've narrowed my search down to three headphones, all pretty different from the other, so I figured it would be appropriate to post here again. Plus, posting again will hopefully get a few more perspectives and opinions from different people which is exactly what I'm looking for. Also, I'm no audiophile, so please don't hate me if the decision is blatantly obvious to some of you as to which headphones I should invest in.

So here're the contestants. The Sony MDR-V55, the Sennheiser HD 449, and the Monster Inspiration. I know they're not all the best headphones out there, and I know they're all considerably different from each other. But these are my choices for various reasons, and that's that. Besides, anything's better than what I have now. Anyway, I would be using the headphones for producing electronic music at home so a more neutral, balanced sound is desired, I don't have an amp and I would prefer not to get one though if I needed to I'd try to look for one, over the ear and closed headphones are more to my liking but that could be substituted for the overall quality of the headphones if needed.. and am I missing any other specifications? I don't think so, as the price isn't an issue really, so I have no budget. Thank you for any replies, I'm not sure what I should do. :)

TL;DR, the Sony MDR-V55, the Sennheiser HD 449, and the Monster Inspiration - what's a better balanced/neutral sound to be used for producing electronic music in a home environment?

Bump. Please don't bite me, Monster Inspiration haters especially. I need an honest opinion or two that can help me with this decision, as I'm super clueless, here. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back