++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 11, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #28,411 of 29,490
As you can see in my sig, I have Senn HD600s and AKG K702 wirh Schiit stack. For a nice upgrade should I go LCD-2 or HD800?

May 11, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #28,412 of 29,490
Nobody responded to this post the first time so I'm trying again:

I'm in the market for a headphone amp, DAC, and most likely a pair of HE-500s. Presently I own a pair of Grado SR -225is that I listen to through the headphone port of my receiver. I have a number of questions but the most pressing is whether the Maverick Audio A1 can power the HE-500s. I am thinking of the A1 Amp and probably the D2 DAC as entry level purchases. Eventually I would like to buy the Bottlehead S.E.X. 2.1. My two reasons for wanting the A1 is to own an affordable tube headphone amp that can also power a small pair of speakers in my art studio.
I have also considered the Grado RS1is instead of the HE-500s, thinking it would be a good match with a warm sounding amp but I believe the HE-500s will be a better investment with the option to upgrade cables down the road, and since I already have the SR -225is, I thought a good pair of Orthos would be a great addition.
I listen to mostly electronic music but also a fair amount of loud guitar music. Primary sources are lossless files through a MBP and a turntable.
Considering these variables, does anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks!

May 11, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #28,413 of 29,490
Hi all,
I have PSB M4U2s and V-moda crossfade LP2s as my daily headphones at the moment, but really want a closed pair with bigger drivers/earcups to improve comfort.

Who makes the physically biggest closed headphones currently? Any suggestions welcome, thanks.

May 11, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #28,415 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello Head-Fi-ers!

I've been spending endless hours reading reviews and other forum posts, but haven't managed to decide on anything yet. I could really use some guidance!

For my 30th birthday I'm looking to buy a new pair of headphones (plus perhaps required equipment) for home listening. My budget is up to $1,000, but flexible. I will be mostly listening to music at my desk from a computer, where I have no other audio equipment. I've been using a pair of Sony MDR XD-100 cans, but their pads are crumbling and I'd like to upgrade! I have a good ear and am sure I will enjoy higher quality sound.

* I have room on the desk for one or two pieces of equipment (e.g. an amp), nothing too large. I'd love recommendations for a set of equipment that would work well together at the vicinity of my budget.
* I listen mostly to progressive rock from the 60's and 70's, such as King Crimson, Yes and Camel. Also various other typs of music, including modern electrical music and classical music.
* I like detail. I dislike heavy bass and shrill highs.
* I live in Israel, so esoteric equipment can be harder to get. My father will be returning from a trip to the US in about a month, so I can have him bring stuff with him, as long as it isn't too large, heavy or fragile.
* I also sometimes use headphones when viewing movies in the living room, and need a long cable for this, at least 7-8 feet. Being able to use the headphones for this would be a plus.

Kind regards!

Hello again,

It turns out that my budget is significantly lower than the $1K I thought I could afford when I first posted here. :frowning2: I can afford $500 now, preferably even lower than that.

Besides the notes in my original post, I need the equipment to be relatively light-weight (for international shipping).

I've got my eye on the HD-600, but I'll need an amp for those, and preferably also a DAC (or a single DAC/amp). Suggestions would be welcome!

Finally, AccessoryJack are selling the HD-600 for a good price of $310. Does anyone know if they are trustworthy?

Thanks!

May 11, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #28,416 of 29,490
Finally, AccessoryJack are selling the HD-600 for a good price of $310. Does anyone know if they are trustworthy?

I don't know if they are a good vendor. But that's an excellent price. If you post it in the Deals Thread and ask that question, someone there may know: http://www.head-fi.org/t/651409/the-deals-thread-ii-read-the-first-post

May 11, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #28,417 of 29,490
Quote:
The CAL! is more refined than the baby Shure (440).  Neither is bass lite (from a neutral perspective) and from memory they are in the same ballpark with regard to the quantity of bass.  I find neither to be shrill like the Superlux can be with that peak in the high mids/low treble.  The Shure is more durable than the lightly built CAL!.  See:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate

Thank you thank you thank you. This helped a ton and described exactly what i was looking for, namely the comparison to the superlux. Truly appreciate your time on this and now i just have to decide if i want to stay with the defined sound or more durable. Since i am not abuse at all and am able to replace wires if needed, that brings me to the CAL so ordering those today, thank you very very much for the response.

May 11, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #28,418 of 29,490
Quote:
As you can see in my sig, I have Senn HD600s and AKG K702 wirh Schiit stack. For a nice upgrade should I go LCD-2 or HD800?

Both are excellent.   Ignoring the significant price difference, I'd go with the HD 800.  However, you need to upgrade your entry level desktop equipment to make them worth your while. 

May 11, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #28,419 of 29,490
Quote:
Nobody responded to this post the first time so I'm trying again:

I'm in the market for a headphone amp, DAC, and most likely a pair of HE-500s. Presently I own a pair of Grado SR -225is that I listen to through the headphone port of my receiver. I have a number of questions but the most pressing is whether the Maverick Audio A1 can power the HE-500s. I am thinking of the A1 Amp and probably the D2 DAC as entry level purchases. Eventually I would like to buy the Bottlehead S.E.X. 2.1. My two reasons for wanting the A1 is to own an affordable tube headphone amp that can also power a small pair of speakers in my art studio.
I have also considered the Grado RS1is instead of the HE-500s, thinking it would be a good match with a warm sounding amp but I believe the HE-500s will be a better investment with the option to upgrade cables down the road, and since I already have the SR -225is, I thought a good pair of Orthos would be a great addition.
I listen to mostly electronic music but also a fair amount of loud guitar music. Primary sources are lossless files through a MBP and a turntable.
Considering these variables, does anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks!

Problem is that anyone trying to answer your question needs to know not only the cans, but your specific equipment.  I don't know your equipment. In addition a electronic music is not my thing.  I will tell you that the HE 500 is the best can in its price range.  However, you need a decent amp with a good amount of power to drive the HE 500 ortho.  On the other hand the also excellent RS1i (no "s") is as easy to drive as your 225i (also no "s"--only the 325 come in "is").

May 11, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #28,420 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Hello Head-Fi-ers!

I've been spending endless hours reading reviews and other forum posts, but haven't managed to decide on anything yet. I could really use some guidance!

For my 30th birthday I'm looking to buy a new pair of headphones (plus perhaps required equipment) for home listening. My budget is up to $1,000, but flexible. I will be mostly listening to music at my desk from a computer, where I have no other audio equipment. I've been using a pair of Sony MDR XD-100 cans, but their pads are crumbling and I'd like to upgrade! I have a good ear and am sure I will enjoy higher quality sound.

* I have room on the desk for one or two pieces of equipment (e.g. an amp), nothing too large. I'd love recommendations for a set of equipment that would work well together at the vicinity of my budget.
* I listen mostly to progressive rock from the 60's and 70's, such as King Crimson, Yes and Camel. Also various other typs of music, including modern electrical music and classical music.
* I like detail. I dislike heavy bass and shrill highs.
* I live in Israel, so esoteric equipment can be harder to get. My father will be returning from a trip to the US in about a month, so I can have him bring stuff with him, as long as it isn't too large, heavy or fragile.
* I also sometimes use headphones when viewing movies in the living room, and need a long cable for this, at least 7-8 feet. Being able to use the headphones for this would be a plus.

Kind regards!

Hello again,

It turns out that my budget is significantly lower than the $1K I thought I could afford when I first posted here. :frowning2: I can afford $500 now, preferably even lower than that.

Besides the notes in my original post, I need the equipment to be relatively light-weight (for international shipping).

I've got my eye on the HD-600, but I'll need an amp for those, and preferably also a DAC (or a single DAC/amp). Suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks!

Given your reduced budget, the HD 600 is an excellent choice.  Have heard on these boards the Acessory Jack is OK, at least for shipping in the U.S.  I have no personal experience with them and don't know if they are an authorized Senn deal, which may not be important in your case.

Somewhere south of $200 does not leave you much for an amp/dac.  Are you looking for portable or desktop?

May 11, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #28,421 of 29,490
Quote:
Given your reduced budget, the HD 600 is an excellent choice.  Have heard on these boards the Acessory Jack is OK, at least for shipping in the U.S.  I have no personal experience with them and don't know if they are an authorized Senn deal, which may not be important in your case.

Somewhere south of $200 does not leave you much for an amp/dac.  Are you looking for portable or desktop?

Thanks, I'll go for the HD-600 if I can find a good DAC & amp for them.

As for the DAC & amp: Desktop. Nothing unusually large, and it must be reasonably light-weight: up to ~4 pounds, including packaging (not including the headphones). I like balanced, clear sound and dislike overly loud bass, which is why I chose the HD-600, so the DAC & amp should also match this preference.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

May 11, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #28,422 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, I'll go for the HD-600 if I can find a good DAC & amp for them.

As for the DAC & amp: Desktop. Nothing unusually large, and it must be reasonably light-weight: up to ~4 pounds, including packaging (not including the headphones). I like balanced, clear sound and dislike overly loud bass, which is why I chose the HD-600, so the DAC & amp should also match this preference.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Given your limited budget for an amp/dac, you should check out the Hi-Fi Man EF2A and what Topping products that are available.

The O2 is also good, but leaves you almost nothing for a separate DAC.  The Magni/Modi Schiit stack at $198 is just above your budget.

May 11, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #28,423 of 29,490
Quote:
Given your limited budget for an amp/dac, you should check out the Hi-Fi Man EF2A and what Topping products that are available.

The O2 is also good, but leaves you almost nothing for a separate DAC.  The Magni/Modi Schiit stack at $198 is just above your budget.

Is the EF2A worth the money?  I've read such mixed reviews on it.  I'm looking ot try a tube amp as I've never experienced one before.  I saw this on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-Assembled-Headphone-Amplifier-Transformer/dp/B008BGLN5G/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1368102719&sr=1-1&keywords=sainsmart+headphone  And was curious.  I know nothing of them so I wanted an opinion on a good starter Headphone amp.  They'll be hooked up to my e07k (DAC) and driving my grado 225i's or hd280 pros.

Thanks!

May 11, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #28,425 of 29,490
Quote:
Would the Phillips Citiscape Up/Downtowns be suitable for rock and metal etc? Bearing in mind I listen to pretty much everything, so anything from Sweet to Mozart with Einaudi in the middle. Apart from the physical differences, what are the main differences between the two? They both seem to be quite highly rated.

Would I be right in saying the Uptowns would be better for isolation and leakage, which is an almost neurotic distraction for me?

On Amazon UK the Uptowns are currently £56 and the Downtowns £49, though I do have a £10 voucher to be used up.

The Downtowns are excellent as far as isolation and leakage are concerned.  According to innerfidelity's measurements (http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PhilipsCityscapeDowntown.pdf for the Downtowns and look for the other data sheets as needed), their 16dB broadband isolation is better than that of the Sennheiser Amperior (13dB), equal to that of the Sennheiser HD-25-I II (16dB), but worse than that of the Beyerdynamic ST1350 (19dB).  These three are considered to be excellent isolating headphones.  (Note, however, that the broadband measurement is a coarse measure that does not capture isolation at different frequencies.)  The Downtown was also designed specifically to reduce leakage.  See a discussion of this "MusicSeal" feature in Tyl Herstens's review at http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/philips-citiscape-downtown.  If you need an isolating headphone and do not expect a neutral presentation, the Downtowns make a very good choice for the price. It is my favorite travel can.  I can use it on a plane, and I do not miss my better headphones if I want to listen to 320kbs MP3 from a laptop or a phone for several days in a hotel room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back