++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 10, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #28,381 of 29,490
I am looking for a pair of full-size cans that will be my "go-to" listen to all the time cans. I currently have several iems and a few full-size cans. Current inventory of IEMs: Shure SE215, Klipsch Image S4A and Reference S4, MeElectronics M6, Ety ER6i, and Senn MX719. My cans are: Monoprice 8323 and an old MDR-V600.

So, I love the sound of the SE215s and similarly the Monoprices (but the comfort on these is bad, after an hour I just want to take them off). I would like to get a sound signature similar to these - full impactful bass, nice midrange, smooth treble - but an open can with a bigger soundstage. Problem is that I don't really have anywhere close where I can audition any of these. I have to drive to San Jose ~100 miles to find respectable hi-fi dealers.

Here are the cans I am considering: AT ATH-AD900x, AKG Q701/K702, K240, Hifiman HE400, Beyer DT880, DT990, Shure SRH-840/940, Grado SR125/225, Senn HD598. I would like to keep my cost around $200, which kinda rules out the HE400s, but I believe these would be an excellent fit for my needs. I am concerned that the ATH-AD900s and Q701/K702 might not have enough bass (also HD598 apparently have anemic bass), but I hear understand they have excellent sound stage. The Beyers might be good choices and I can get the pros in my price range. Shures should have a sound signature I like, but is the sound stage open enough? Grado's I have comfort concerns again (along with Q701).

Other notes. Sources is mostly high-quality flac/MP3 -> iPod/Cowon Z2/PC/Mac Pro -> FiiO E10, E11, E17.

So, which Can is going to give me the best sound/comfort at the $200-$250 pricepoint with my criteria?

Thanks,
DrKraut 

If your afraid of anemic bass, that rules out (from my reading): k701/2, and grados, maybe even hd598, but you should seriously consider the Sony mdr ma900. They've definitely got enough bass, and a huge soundstage.

It should be a toss up between the dt880 and mdr ma900.

May 10, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #28,383 of 29,490
I am concerned that the ATH-AD900s and Q701/K702 might not have enough bass (also HD598 apparently have anemic bass), but I hear understand they have excellent sound stage.

It depends on what you mean by anemic bass. Most of the people describing the bass as anemic are looking for deep sub bass (40hz and below output) or bass emphasis (more bass than a neutral response). The bass in the Q701's not anemic. As a comparison, the Q701 is more like what you get from a good pair of bookshelf speakers with 5" or 6" drivers with decent 50hz response. Even the Grado SR225i can do OK down to 50hz with a little bass boost to bring them up to a more neutral response because their response is more mid and treble forward. Of those three, the DT880s will certainly have the most bass and be more like what you would get from a tower speaker with decent low end response.

If your afraid of anemic bass, that rules out (from my reading): k701/2, and grados, maybe even hd598, but you should seriously consider the Sony mdr ma900. They've definitely got enough bass, and a huge soundstage.

It should be a toss up between the dt880 and mdr ma900.

Based on my reading of measurements of the Sony MA900s (I have not heard them and measurements don't tell the whole story), they probably will have some midbass emphasis, but not too good for sub bass either, and may not have much more bass than the Q701s. Best to see if someone has compared those two directly.

May 10, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #28,384 of 29,490
If there's any metalheads in here, if you would kindly visit my "portable headphones for metal" thread, I would appreciate it. I still can't find a headphone as a worthy upgrade to my bose AE2 headphones. I'm stuck on the prospect of getting monitoring headphones like the Sony V6 and somehow modifying the cable or braiding it to make it portable. Suffice to say, I'm in need of help. I can't figure out what portable headphone I should get. Some recommendations would be appreciated.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/663295/help-a-metalhead-find-grab-and-go-headphones-please

May 10, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #28,385 of 29,490
Quote:
I very much like the HD 600 & 650.  Of course there is more and better competition at $400 to $500 than there was at about $300.

The audiophile oriented and open DT 880 are massively different than the closed, bass heavy and mids light DT 770.  More about (best flavor of) the DT 880 here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-ultimate-ears-uerm-added-4-14-13#user_DT880

Thanks. Much appreciated.

May 10, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #28,386 of 29,490
Would the Phillips Citiscape Up/Downtowns be suitable for rock and metal etc? Bearing in mind I listen to pretty much everything, so anything from Sweet to Mozart with Einaudi in the middle. Apart from the physical differences, what are the main differences between the two? They both seem to be quite highly rated.

Would I be right in saying the Uptowns would be better for isolation and leakage, which is an almost neurotic distraction for me?

On Amazon UK the Uptowns are currently £56 and the Downtowns £49, though I do have a £10 voucher to be used up.

May 10, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #28,387 of 29,490
Quote:
Would the Phillips Citiscape Up/Downtowns be suitable for rock and metal etc? Bearing in mind I listen to pretty much everything, so anything from Sweet to Mozart with Einaudi in the middle. Apart from the physical differences, what are the main differences between the two? They both seem to be quite highly rated.

Would I be right in saying the Uptowns would be better for isolation and leakage, which is an almost neurotic distraction for me?

On Amazon UK the Uptowns are currently £56 and the Downtowns £49, though I do have a £10 voucher to be used up.

Those are cans with a colored sound signature that won't go well with Mozart.

If you like a bass oriented sound that does not quite get you into basshead territory, then maybe they are for you.

May 10, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #28,388 of 29,490
Quote:
Those are cans with a colored sound signature that won't go well with Mozart.

If you like a bass oriented sound that does not quite get you into basshead territory, then maybe they are for you.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm leaning toward the Uptown at the moment, would I be right with the isolation+leakage being better than the Downtown?

As I say, I listen to most things so as long as they can cope I don't mind them lacking in some areas as that's probably to be expected.

May 10, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #28,389 of 29,490
I have the first two and the older AD900.

Comfort is a very individual thing.  However, the MA 900 is very light and I would expect few to have comfort issues with it.

Choosing between those three very fine cans will almost certainly come down to personal preference,including how well each works with your existing or soon to be added equipment. 

Which is best for listening to rock?

May 10, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #28,390 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
I have the first two and the older AD900.

Comfort is a very individual thing.  However, the MA 900 is very light and I would expect few to have comfort issues with it.

Choosing between those three very fine cans will almost certainly come down to personal preference,including how well each works with your existing or soon to be added equipment. 

Which is best for listening to rock?

That's a matter of both personal taste (mostly) and what kind of rock (as well).

May 10, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #28,392 of 29,490
I am very much torn finding cans for general use. At present i have the Superlux 668b which i need to replace with closed cans as the wife is constantly complaining about hearing my music. My requirements can be based off my experience with the Superlux.

To me, the superlux had about the right amount of sound stage. The highs are a little on the shrilly side, kinda harsh on some things IMO. The Superlux also do not have the kind of bass i want. Now i am not a basshead and do not want bloated ugly bass. I like bass to present when its supposed to be but gone when its not. Such as say Eminem, i expect the bass to be punchy like bump bump not boomy.

I listen to rock, jazz, classical, symphony, alternative, country, techno, some dubstep, a little pop, even less rap, tons of classic rock, southern rock, some punk, and im sure i am missing other ganres but i figure you get the idea. I listen a little of everything all in FLAC ripped from cd or purchased in FLAC form. I dont like mp3 sound at least that which i have heard and itunes purchased AAC isnt any better from my ears.

As for my source i have Xonar DX, Xonar DG, ALC889A with dolby home theater, and an old pioneer vsx- 514. Of all these i prefer the sound of the DX but it does not have an amp for headphones. With the dg the superlux sound pretty descent in my ears minus the slight lack of bass and sometimes sharp highs.

My budget is slim. 100 is my max with maybe only tax going over that amount. From research i have looked at
SRH440 - im worried about the bass not being enough
KRK KNS6800- worried about the lack of reviews other than "OMG THESE ARE TEH EPIC" and "OMG TIS DA SUX"
sennheisers- all seem out of my price range for any which have a sound which seems close, based on reviews

So i am at a loss. I can use the DG if i need the amp, but them by speakers which are 2.1 dayton bookshelves with lepai 2020A+ and 10 inch sub seem to sound less than stellar. The DX sounds good with the speakers and so does onboard but headphones, not so much. Or at least with the headphones i have anyway.

So, hit me with what someone experienced with some cans in the sound area i described and please, i cant spend more so telling me to get a DAC and amp and blah will just be a waste of time.

For the record, i already searched around my home town and cannot find anywhere with the SRH440 or the KRK to test them so im hopeing i gave enough of sound sig information to get pointed in a descent direction.

May 10, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #28,393 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
What do guys you think of a AKG 702 + Schiit Modi/Magni for Classical?

Bump.

You should probably post this in the appreciation thread for this can or in the amp section.  Not many, if any, here know about combining those three pieces of equipment, two of which are fairly new.

May 10, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #28,394 of 29,490
Quote:
I am very much torn finding cans for general use. At present i have the Superlux 668b which i need to replace with closed cans as the wife is constantly complaining about hearing my music. My requirements can be based off my experience with the Superlux.

To me, the superlux had about the right amount of sound stage. The highs are a little on the shrilly side, kinda harsh on some things IMO. The Superlux also do not have the kind of bass i want. Now i am not a basshead and do not want bloated ugly bass. I like bass to present when its supposed to be but gone when its not. Such as say Eminem, i expect the bass to be punchy like bump bump not boomy.

I listen to rock, jazz, classical, symphony, alternative, country, techno, some dubstep, a little pop, even less rap, tons of classic rock, southern rock, some punk, and im sure i am missing other ganres but i figure you get the idea. I listen a little of everything all in FLAC ripped from cd or purchased in FLAC form. I dont like mp3 sound at least that which i have heard and itunes purchased AAC isnt any better from my ears.

As for my source i have Xonar DX, Xonar DG, ALC889A with dolby home theater, and an old pioneer vsx- 514. Of all these i prefer the sound of the DX but it does not have an amp for headphones. With the dg the superlux sound pretty descent in my ears minus the slight lack of bass and sometimes sharp highs.

My budget is slim. 100 is my max with maybe only tax going over that amount. From research i have looked at
SRH440 - im worried about the bass not being enough
KRK KNS6800- worried about the lack of reviews other than "OMG THESE ARE TEH EPIC" and "OMG TIS DA SUX"
sennheisers- all seem out of my price range for any which have a sound which seems close, based on reviews

So i am at a loss. I can use the DG if i need the amp, but them by speakers which are 2.1 dayton bookshelves with lepai 2020A+ and 10 inch sub seem to sound less than stellar. The DX sounds good with the speakers and so does onboard but headphones, not so much. Or at least with the headphones i have anyway.

So, hit me with what someone experienced with some cans in the sound area i described and please, i cant spend more so telling me to get a DAC and amp and blah will just be a waste of time.

For the record, i already searched around my home town and cannot find anywhere with the SRH440 or the KRK to test them so im hopeing i gave enough of sound sig information to get pointed in a descent direction.

Describe the sound signature your are seeking.  I suspect that you may be a basshead lite--or at least close to it. 

Do not expect the sound stage of closed cans to be as good as open or semi-open ones.

If the 440's bass is not enough for you, you will probably not like that offered by the 8400--which by the way--hasn't been within your budget for many months--unless you buy used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back