++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 10, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #28,366 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm finally getting some headphones of quality next month

I like electronic music and rock, I like tight bass and clear vocals

I've narrowed it down to
ATH M50- Bass and size scares me but recommendations are high
ZX700- look is awful, But seems promising
HD 449- Reviews say highs are clear but lacks bass, People who tried bass mod praise these headphones over M50s

If I were to walk out the door right now I'd buy HD 449 also gonna buy a Fiio e11 too, don't know if it's necessary

The M50 has recessed mids--not good for vocals or guitars.

What is your budget?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

May 10, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #28,367 of 29,490

What is your budget?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Thanks for the help

I'm spending 100$-150$ for the headphones and I'm getting a portable amp if its necessary

Definetely not going to jump into open headphones, I'll be taking them around alot

May 10, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #28,368 of 29,490
Quote:
I didn't realize we had this thread, posted one of my own by mistake.

Hey all. Long time member who hasn't been around for a number of years. Ended up completely forgetting my old username and pass. I think the last time I posted here, we had a different president. o_O

Anyway, I'm in the market for some new cans, and wanted the expert advice. I currently have Grado SR225's (not i version), and Beyer DT770 Pro (the 80 ohms), and was looking for something the compliment both cans, and fill in where the others lack. When I last was around here, the Senn HD650 were highly regarded headphones, and I felt that they might be a good "bridge the gap" type of phone between my Grados and Beyers. Is this a correct thought? Also, in the numerous years, I'm sure other cans around that price point have come out that might be even better.

For my home setup, I run a PCDP to a Little Dot I+. For music, I absolutely love rock and metal, but also listen to a lot of symphonic metal, which includes keyboards, choirs, and sometimes full orchestras. I'm looking for something that will not only render the guitars well, but do justice to the strings and keys.

My price point is around $300, though I'm willing to go a little higher. Any suggestions would be mucho appreciated.

Yeah--you have not been around for a while.  Both the HD 600 & 650 now are normally priced well north of $300--thanks to Senn's MAP.

Depending on your choice of sound signatures, you are probably best off checking out the DT 880 Pro (250 Ohms) and Q 701.

May 10, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #28,369 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

What is your budget?

Thanks for the help

I'm spending 100$-150$ for the headphones and I'm getting a portable amp if its necessary

Definetely not going to jump into open headphones, I'll be taking them around alot

It depends on what you mean by tight bass.  Although it includes some very good cans, you may have to make some compromises in this price range.  However, you should check out the Shure SRH 840, Sony MDR 7506 and MDR 7510.  I like the ZX700 and KRK KNS 8400, but they probably do not have enough bass for you.

May 10, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #28,370 of 29,490
It depends on what you mean by tight bass.  Although it includes some very good cans, you may have to make some compromises in this price range.  However, you should check out the Shure SRH 840, Sony MDR 7506 and MDR 7510.  I like the ZX700 and KRK KNS 8400, but they probably do not have enough bass for you.

By tight bass I mean the necessary amount in an electronic song to make you wanna dance :cool: and what was intended to be heard on a bass guitar

Thanks

May 10, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #28,371 of 29,490
Quote:
Yeah--you have not been around for a while.  Both the HD 600 & 650 now are normally priced well north of $300--thanks to Senn's MAP.

Depending on your choice of sound signatures, you are probably best off checking out the DT 880 Pro (250 Ohms) and Q 701.

Are you suggesting those in general, or just within my price range?

I've seen the 650 for ~$450, and I figure I could stretch to that amount if needed.

How different are the DT 880's from the DT 770's?

May 10, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #28,373 of 29,490
Quote:
By tight bass I mean the necessary amount in an electronic song to make you wanna dance
cool.gif
and what was intended to be heard on a bass guitar

Thanks

I'm afraid the you'll find the zx700 to have too little bass.

May 10, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #28,374 of 29,490
Quote:
Well as per http://www.head-fi.org/t/661452/sony-zx700-only-work-in-one-ear#post_9388577 my current headphones are [technical term here] knackered. In fact it only seems like 5 minutes ago I was asking about the Sonys.

My main requests are good isolation and low leakage, good build quality (especially since the ZX700s gave up the ghost after about 18 months) and comfort. But I think everyone says that so I guess it goes without saying.

As for type of music, I listen to pretty much anything but mainly rock, metal, that sort of thing. Apologies if I use these terms wrong, I'd want them to be quite warm and full [and any other terms that go along with those] but without it being to the detriment of everything else. Bassy, but without it being silly and unrealistic, so though you know it's there it doesn't takeover. For reference my earphones are SoundMagic E10s, which I enjoy. Given I listen to pretty much anything, I would prefer it if the headphones could cope with playing anything to a decent level.

They'll mainly be used at home with a laptop, so nothing taxing. As such I'm not too fussed on portability or removable cables or anything, just so long as they're not tanks. 

Budget wise, preferably somewhere around the £50 mark. But I would go higher if they were really worth it. And I do have a £10 Amazon voucher which I'm sure would love to be used for these...

I've probably forgotten to put in some info so if I need to add anything then just ask. Cheers for any help...

On the topic of ZX700s *shameless*

My budget could probably go a little higher, just so long as they're "the best" for the money.

May 10, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #28,375 of 29,490

My budget could probably go a little higher, just so long as they're "the best" for the money.

People have got to get over this "best" thing. There is no best. There is just what you personally like the best. And for me, that can change throughout the day. Certainly from recording to recording.

May 10, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #28,376 of 29,490

People have got to get over this "best" thing. There is no best. There is just what you personally like the best. And for me, that can change throughout the day. Certainly from recording to recording.

May 10, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #28,377 of 29,490
Quote:

I know, it's obviously all subjective hence why I put it in quotes. Actually I think there was a thread on this very thing not long ago.

I just couldn't be bothered thinking of how to put it in a more rounded way. 
tongue.gif

May 10, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #28,378 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Are you suggesting those in general, or just within my price range?

I've seen the 650 for ~$450, and I figure I could stretch to that amount if needed.

How different are the DT 880's from the DT 770's?

I very much like the HD 600 & 650.  Of course there is more and better competition at $400 to $500 than there was at about $300.

The audiophile oriented and open DT 880 are massively different than the closed, bass heavy and mids light DT 770.  More about (best flavor of) the DT 880 here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-ultimate-ears-uerm-added-4-14-13#user_DT880

May 10, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #28,379 of 29,490
I am looking for a pair of full-size cans that will be my "go-to" listen to all the time cans. I currently have several iems and a few full-size cans. Current inventory of IEMs: Shure SE215, Klipsch Image S4A and Reference S4, MeElectronics M6, Ety ER6i, and Senn MX719. My cans are: Monoprice 8323 and an old MDR-V600.

So, I love the sound of the SE215s and similarly the Monoprices (but the comfort on these is bad, after an hour I just want to take them off). I would like to get a sound signature similar to these - full impactful bass, nice midrange, smooth treble - but an open can with a bigger soundstage. Problem is that I don't really have anywhere close where I can audition any of these. I have to drive to San Jose ~100 miles to find respectable hi-fi dealers.

Here are the cans I am considering: AT ATH-AD900x, AKG Q701/K702, K240, Hifiman HE400, Beyer DT880, DT990, Shure SRH-840/940, Grado SR125/225, Senn HD598. I would like to keep my cost around $200, which kinda rules out the HE400s, but I believe these would be an excellent fit for my needs. I am concerned that the ATH-AD900s and Q701/K702 might not have enough bass (also HD598 apparently have anemic bass), but I hear understand they have excellent sound stage. The Beyers might be good choices and I can get the pros in my price range. Shures should have a sound signature I like, but is the sound stage open enough? Grado's I have comfort concerns again (along with Q701).

Other notes. Sources is mostly high-quality flac/MP3 -> iPod/Cowon Z2/PC/Mac Pro -> FiiO E10, E11, E17.

So, which Can is going to give me the best sound/comfort at the $200-$250 pricepoint with my criteria?

Thanks,
DrKraut 

May 10, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #28,380 of 29,490
Quote:
I am looking for a pair of full-size cans that will be my "go-to" listen to all the time cans. I currently have several iems and a few full-size cans. Current inventory of IEMs: Shure SE215, Klipsch Image S4A and Reference S4, MeElectronics M6, Ety ER6i, and Senn MX719. My cans are: Monoprice 8323 and an old MDR-V600.

So, I love the sound of the SE215s and similarly the Monoprices (but the comfort on these is bad, after an hour I just want to take them off). I would like to get a sound signature similar to these - full impactful bass, nice midrange, smooth treble - but an open can with a bigger soundstage. Problem is that I don't really have anywhere close where I can audition any of these. I have to drive to San Jose ~100 miles to find respectable hi-fi dealers.

Here are the cans I am considering: AT ATH-AD900x, AKG Q701/K702, K240, Hifiman HE400, Beyer DT880, DT990, Shure SRH-840/940, Grado SR125/225, Senn HD598. I would like to keep my cost around $200, which kinda rules out the HE400s, but I believe these would be an excellent fit for my needs. I am concerned that the ATH-AD900s and Q701/K702 might not have enough bass (also HD598 apparently have anemic bass), but I hear understand they have excellent sound stage. The Beyers might be good choices and I can get the pros in my price range. Shures should have a sound signature I like, but is the sound stage open enough? Grado's I have comfort concerns again (along with Q701).

Other notes. Sources is mostly high-quality flac/MP3 -> iPod/Cowon Z2/PC/Mac Pro -> FiiO E10, E11, E17.

So, which Can is going to give me the best sound/comfort at the $200-$250 pricepoint with my criteria?

Thanks,
DrKraut 

I'd say the best overall matches are DT990s or the more balanced, less bassy DT880s. Both are superbly comfortable with good soundstage.  Just to reiterate; DT990s=fuller bass and less midrange

Users who are viewing this thread

Back