++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 9, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #28,351 of 29,490
Quote:
I would disagree. The DT880s are considered a fairly neutral headphone. Here they are measured in comparison to the AKG Q701s, which are popularly considered studio headphones:

No headphone is going to give you a ruler flat response without EQ, and how would you know when you have achieved that EQ properly without measuring it? Most people's ears are fairly unreliable measuring tools.

Thank you for the reply :) are there any amplifiers you would recommend with the DT880's? 

May 9, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #28,353 of 29,490
Thank you for the reply :) are there any amplifiers you would recommend with the DT880's? 

What kind of sound card do you have? If just built in motherboard audio, the Schiit Modi/Magni stack will provide a very transparent presentation for its price of $200. If you have a good sound card, you might just want a headphone amp or might not even need one.

I would go with the DT880 250 ohm PRO for the money. Here's an article which discusses the different versions: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones

May 9, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #28,355 of 29,490
So upon looking into my upgrade into open cans, I've compared the HE400's, HD600/650's, and the DT880's

I'm leaning towards the HE400's because apparently they are easy to drive. However, I still plan on getting the DragonFly DAC. With this DAC, can I still run the HD600/650's and/or the DT880's well? Because I understand that they are a little better than the HD400's when driven properly

May 9, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #28,356 of 29,490
Quote:
What kind of sound card do you have? If just built in motherboard audio, the Schiit Modi/Magni stack will provide a very transparent presentation for its price of $200. If you have a good sound card, you might just want a headphone amp or might not even need one.

I would go with the DT880 250 ohm PRO for the money. Here's an article which discusses the different versions: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones

You have been amazing help, thank you so much! Very much appreciated :)

May 9, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #28,357 of 29,490
Just ordered the Sony V6 headphones. Just want to verify if these need amplification or if they work pretty well out of an iPod.

May 9, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #28,358 of 29,490
You'll have to tell most of us what the good open cans in that price range are.  {See the buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread and the last couple pages of posts if you need help.}

Do you plan to use and amp?

In Australia, the hd598 seems to be similarly priced with (and sometimes more expensive than) the ad900, though I haven't tested them yet.
I've tried grados before, and I think they're too forward with the mids and highs for me. Not much other options shown on the buying guide though.

As for amping, I currently have an e11 which as I tested is adequate for powering the hd598, though I plan to get a desktop amp (and dac) soon.

May 9, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #28,359 of 29,490
I'm finally getting some headphones of quality next month

I like electronic music and rock, I like tight bass and clear vocals

I've narrowed it down to
ATH M50- Bass and size scares me but recommendations are high
ZX700- look is awful, But seems promising
HD 449- Reviews say highs are clear but lacks bass, People who tried bass mod praise these headphones over M50s

If I were to walk out the door right now I'd buy HD 449 also gonna buy a Fiio e11 too, don't know if it's necessary

May 10, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #28,360 of 29,490
I didn't realize we had this thread, posted one of my own by mistake.

Hey all. Long time member who hasn't been around for a number of years. Ended up completely forgetting my old username and pass. I think the last time I posted here, we had a different president. o_O

Anyway, I'm in the market for some new cans, and wanted the expert advice. I currently have Grado SR225's (not i version), and Beyer DT770 Pro (the 80 ohms), and was looking for something the compliment both cans, and fill in where the others lack. When I last was around here, the Senn HD650 were highly regarded headphones, and I felt that they might be a good "bridge the gap" type of phone between my Grados and Beyers. Is this a correct thought? Also, in the numerous years, I'm sure other cans around that price point have come out that might be even better.

For my home setup, I run a PCDP to a Little Dot I+. For music, I absolutely love rock and metal, but also listen to a lot of symphonic metal, which includes keyboards, choirs, and sometimes full orchestras. I'm looking for something that will not only render the guitars well, but do justice to the strings and keys.

My price point is around $300, though I'm willing to go a little higher. Any suggestions would be mucho appreciated.

May 10, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #28,361 of 29,490
Quote:
I didn't want to triple post in my own thread. How do the Sony-MDR-ZX700 compare to the sony V6? One is apparently much more portable. It seems like it would be a good alternative to the V6 in terms of portability.

They are similar, but I prefer the newer and better (to my ears) ZX700--and its iPhone controls sibling, the DRZX701IP.  For more see:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sony-mdr-zx700

May 10, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #28,363 of 29,490
Quote:
So upon looking into my upgrade into open cans, I've compared the HE400's, HD600/650's, and the DT880's

I'm leaning towards the HE400's because apparently they are easy to drive. However, I still plan on getting the DragonFly DAC. With this DAC, can I still run the HD600/650's and/or the DT880's well? Because I understand that they are a little better than the HD400's when driven properly

A DAC (alone) does not provide amping.

May 10, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #28,364 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
You'll have to tell most of us what the good open cans in that price range are.  {See the buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread and the last couple pages of posts if you need help.}

Do you plan to use and amp?

In Australia, the hd598 seems to be similarly priced with (and sometimes more expensive than) the ad900, though I haven't tested them yet.
I've tried grados before, and I think they're too forward with the mids and highs for me. Not much other options shown on the buying guide though.

As for amping, I currently have an e11 which as I tested is adequate for powering the hd598, though I plan to get a desktop amp (and dac) soon.

There's nothing wrong with the AD900, but I'd go with the HD 598.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back