++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 9, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #28,336 of 29,490
Glad you're digging on it.  I've got plenty of reccommendations in that similar genre if you're interested, based on your jazz tastes I think "the cinematic orchestra" or portico quartet might be right up your alley and similar to m83/boy friend, check out future islands. 

I'm stuck on "Ma Fleur" by The Cinematic Orchestra through the AD900X! Thanks again. Here we have true acoustic instruments I'm pretty sure. (Wish the recording were done a little better. I hope they're on bandcamp for a lossless version.) I've got a recommendation for you now based on this: Check out Zoe Keating if you haven't. Warning though: It may wake you up a little... Not much, but a little. Lol

May 9, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #28,337 of 29,490
Just tried my new Sony mdr7506 headphones and they sound great. Could only sample a little bit cause I received them at work from Amazon via USPS...but I would've paid twice what I did. They're super comfortable, not as heavy as I thought they might be and the clarity is awesome. I sampled them with some music stored on my phone at 320k, I am not disappointed. Really looking forward to gaming on my Vita with these things.

Thanks again for the recommendations. If I know myself at all, I'll be looking to "upgrade" sooner than later but I am very impressed so far and I haven't broken them in yet.

Edit: I didn't even mention the very impressive packaging that they come in. Fantastic presentation by Sony.

May 9, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #28,338 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm stuck on "Ma Fleur" by The Cinematic Orchestra through the AD900X! Thanks again. Here we have true acoustic instruments I'm pretty sure. (Wish the recording were done a little better. I hope they're on bandcamp for a lossless version.) I've got a recommendation for you now based on this: Check out Zoe Keating if you haven't. Warning though: It may wake you up a little... Not much, but a little. Lol

I'll put that on the need to listen to list.  Yeah, ma fleur.... AMAZING album.  I'm a big fan of the album "Everyday" by them.  I actually found that band from a video on vimeo:  http://vimeo.com/38101676  made me want to cry lol!

May 9, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #28,341 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
If your budget is below $200, your best choices are probably the HD 558 or AD900.

Are there better solutions in the $200-$250 since that's my budget?

Yes--the HD 598, Sony MDR-MA 900 and AD900X come into play.  There are more, like the Q 701 and DT 880 Pro, if you have a decent amp.

May 9, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #28,343 of 29,490
Hi guys, for some background I've ben listenung to closed ears and iems for a while (have hd25-1 and fischer audio consonance, tried and sold an ath-es55), and am now curious about good open ears.
Are there other open air recommendations besides hd598, and at best near its price range ($300 in Australia, pretty jacked up price)
My music taste varies, but to be exact the bulk is techno pop, vocals, some piano and alternative music.

May 9, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #28,344 of 29,490
Quote:
does anyone here have the MA900s? are they really that confortable?Do they outrank the HD598 and the AD900X in which categories?

I have the first two and the older AD900.

Comfort is a very individual thing.  However, the MA 900 is very light and I would expect few to have comfort issues with it.

Choosing between those three very fine cans will almost certainly come down to personal preference,including how well each works with your existing or soon to be added equipment. 

May 9, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #28,345 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys, for some background I've ben listenung to closed ears and iems for a while (have hd25-1 and fischer audio consonance, tried and sold an ath-es55), and am now curious about good open ears.
Are there other open air recommendations besides hd598, and at best near its price range ($300 in Australia, pretty jacked up price)
My music taste varies, but to be exact the bulk is techno pop, vocals, some piano and alternative music.

You'll have to tell most of us what the good open cans in that price range are.  {See the buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread and the last couple pages of posts if you need help.}

Do you plan to use and amp?

May 9, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #28,346 of 29,490
Hey Guys,
First time poster, long time reader. I have been searching for some monitoring, mixing, mastering headphones solution for an home studio. At this point in time, I am unable to get my hands on some decent monitors, so a pair of accurate monitor headphones and amp (?) will do for now. I am producing House, Dance, EDM music. After countless hours of research and comparing monitor headphones I have come up with the following 3 headphones:
Beyerdynamic DT770 
Beyerdynamic DT880 
Beyerdynamic DT990 

However, with these headphones I am unsure which ohm version I should buy with the chosen pair. In additon, I am also unsure about which amplifier I should purchase. Long story, short.. I am looking for recommendations for which Beyerdynamic DT Heaphone, OHM Version and Amplifier I should purchase for my home studio to best allow me to produce EDM music. Thank you in advance for all your help :)

Edit: I am unsure how much quality headphone amplifiers cost, but my budget for the amplifier would probably be between $150-$200.

May 9, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #28,347 of 29,490
If you're looking for neutral, look elsewhere from the DTs. They're all V shaped, the 880s being less so.

If, on the other hand, that's what you want you will need to know if you want open or closed. The 770s are closed, the others are open. The 880s are the closest to neutral (I've read, anyway) and I believe the 990s have the most recessed mids.

The 770s, I think, have the most pronounced bass, with the 80 Ohm version having comparably more than the 250 Ohm.

The 80 Ohm 770s can be driven by something as cheap as a Xonar DG, while the 600 Ohm 990s and 880s probably need a decent external amp to truly shine (though the STX and ZxR supposedly have 600 Ohm capable amps).

May 9, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #28,348 of 29,490
I didn't want to triple post in my own thread. How do the Sony-MDR-ZX700 compare to the sony V6? One is apparently much more portable. It seems like it would be a good alternative to the V6 in terms of portability.

May 9, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #28,350 of 29,490
Thank you very much for all the help :) I am looking for an neutral headphone.. Are there other headphones you would suggest over the DT880's?

I would disagree. The DT880s are considered a fairly neutral headphone. Here they are measured in comparison to the AKG Q701s, which are popularly considered studio headphones:

No headphone is going to give you a ruler flat response without EQ, and how would you know when you have achieved that EQ properly without measuring it? Most people's ears are fairly unreliable measuring tools.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back