++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 5, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #28,156 of 29,490
So for Open cans under $300, any suggestions that would fall into the realm of large soundstage and broad tonal versatility?

I'm leaning toward the DT 990 or DT 880 (if I can find the right price), the HD598 (how does it compare to the 600?), the K701/K702, and the SR325is.

I've also considered getting multiple special-purpose cans, i.e. the ATH-AD900 for classical/instrumental.

[EDIT - I learned of a place nearby (thanks to the Head-fi Meets forum) where I could give some of these phones a listen. I checked out the DT 880 and DT 770.  I liked the sound, based on limited listening, of course.  And they were oh so comfy.  Also, I saw there's a Meet coming soon to my area that I'm going to try to get to.  So I guess this is more of a "what should I focus on learning there at this early stage?" post.]

You've picked a good set of headphones to try out, and they all have different sound signatures that really your personal preference will probably make the biggest difference. I would recommend giving the Grado SR225i a listen (in addition to the SR325i) as those are often considered the sweet spot in the Grado line up in your price range.

May 5, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #28,157 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm skeptical. If they aren't good enough for you, why are they good enough for me? I want to know how they compare to the amperior, because like I said, I will keep the amperior headphones if there is no better sounding headphone and get a headphone for home use so I can just use these on the go. If there's an all around better option I'll take it. I'm skeptical though because I don't see a whole lot of reviews for this headphone, so I'm not really sure if I would feel confident getting it. 

I never said they weren't good enough for me- that was referring to the K167. And from the 60-page K267 thread, it seems that the issues that I had with the K167 are gone.

I wouldn't use the K167/K267 regardless of those issues, since I have no need for an "all-rounder can" or portability - I use iem's for that. But for you, who want a full-sized, closed-back, easy-to-drive, semi-portable, and comfortable pair of headphones that also sounds very good (I'm assuming that having one is ideal, since the amperiors aren't comfortable anyway), the K267 might be a good choice.

May 5, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #28,158 of 29,490
Quote:

I never said they weren't good enough for me- that was referring to the K167. And from the 60-page K267 thread, it seems that the issues that I had with the K167 are gone.

I wouldn't use the K167/K267 regardless of those issues, since I have no need for an "all-rounder can" or portability - I use iem's for that. But for you, who want a full-sized, closed-back, easy-to-drive, semi-portable, and comfortable pair of headphones that also sounds very good (I'm assuming that having one is ideal, since the amperiors aren't comfortable anyway), the K267 might be a good choice.

How's the soundstage? Does it have a warm sound for soft music? Can it also handle the heaviest of heavy music? The amperior had treble that was too unbalanced which was noticeable in comparison to my AE2. The lack of sound stage ruined atmospheric music. When I would EQ the treble away everything else didn't sound as good. The mid range (if I'm using that term right) sounded a little recessed. Vocals sounded quieter and so everything else pretty quiet. There was also no sound stage like my AE2. Sure they handled heavy music a little better with a little more clarity (although they still made crackling noise, but didn't get distorted as much as my AE2) but for softer stuff my AE2 sounds much warmer (implying I actually know headphone terminology, but this sounds like the right context). I guess when I think of "warm", I think comfortable sounding and vibrant. Albeit both headphones have their strengths, but I'm looking for a total upgrade from my AE2s. That headphone you recommended is less than the Amperior and about as much as the AE2. So would it really be an upgrade? 

Also it has 3 stars on amazon.

May 5, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #28,159 of 29,490
How's the soundstage? Does it have a warm sound for soft music? Can it also handle the heaviest of heavy music? The amperior had treble that was too unbalanced which was noticeable in comparison to my AE2. The lack of sound stage ruined atmospheric music. When I would EQ the treble away everything else didn't sound as good. The mid range (if I'm using that term right) sounded a little recessed. Vocals sounded quieter and so everything else pretty quiet. There was also no sound stage like my AE2. Sure they handled heavy music a little better with a little more clarity (although they still made crackling noise, but didn't get distorted as much as my AE2) but for softer stuff my AE2 sounds much warmer (implying I actually know headphone terminology, but this sounds like the right context). I guess when I think of "warm", I think comfortable sounding and vibrant. Albeit both headphones have their strengths, but I'm looking for a total upgrade from my AE2s. That headphone you recommended is less than the Amperior and about as much as the AE2. So would it really be an upgrade? 

Having read all your posts, I don't think you will find what you want by getting recommendations here. Your are looking for that perfect headphone that does everything right for you, and you have progressed to the point where you have a wide variety of particular needs. I'm not being judgemental about that. I'm the same way :)

Probably would help to go to a head-fi meetup or a headphone shop and listen to some different headphones. Otherwise, you might prioritize more by eliminating some of your decision factors and get a headphone now that serves them and then a different one later.

May 5, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #28,160 of 29,490
Hi all!
My girlfriend want to get a headphone for less than 30 pounds. She listens usually to pop, electronic and rock. 
She really wants a durable, with good isolation headphone.
Any suggestions? Many thanks!

May 5, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #28,161 of 29,490
Thanks KG Jag and cel4145!

From what I've been reading here, those two were sounding like my best bets.  Hopefully I'll be able to check out all four models at the head-fi meet next month.

Would the Fiio E11 suffice for portability with my phone?  If I get another amp at home, I wouldn't need a Fiio with a DAC, right?

May 5, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #28,162 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all!
My girlfriend want to get a headphone for less than 30 pounds. She listens usually to pop, electronic and rock. 
She really wants a durable, with good isolation headphone.
Any suggestions? Many thanks!

About $47 is not enough to get a decent full sized headphone, absent a significant sale.  I suggest you look to IEM's or portable cans where you can get much more for that limited budget.

The IEM/portable headphones recommendation thread can be found here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632255/portable-iem-recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op

May 5, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #28,163 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks KG Jag and cel4145!

From what I've been reading here, those two were sounding like my best bets.  Hopefully I'll be able to check out all four models at the head-fi meet next month.

Would the Fiio E11 suffice for portability with my phone?  If I get another amp at home, I wouldn't need a Fiio with a DAC, right?

Sorry, I can't help with portable amps.  I have only one and it has been discontinued.

DAC's in phones and other portable devices can vary greatly in quality.

May 5, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #28,164 of 29,490
Quote:
About $47 is not enough to get a decent full sized headphone, absent a significant sale.  I suggest you look to IEM's or portable cans where you can get much more for that limited budget.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632255/portable-iem-recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op

I have already tried to convince her to move to IEMs, but no deal. She just doesn't find them comfortable.
I have been looking into the JVC S400 and it seems like a good deal by what was told here at the head-fi forums.
Any other suggestion or should I get these?

May 5, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #28,165 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

I have already tried to convince her to move to IEMs, but no deal. She just doesn't find them comfortable.
I have been looking into the JVC S400 and it seems like a good deal by what was told here at the head-fi forums.
Any other suggestion or should I get these?

Those are portable headphones.

May 5, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #28,166 of 29,490
Quote:
 Hello Head-Fi-ers! I'm new and hopefully this is being posted in the right place. I've been doing some research and in terms of price, value and performance, I've decided that I'd like to commit to the legendary HE-500 / Schiit Lyr and Bifrost combo.

I have a few questions about aftermarket stuff and ordering options and hope you could help me out. (I have a Dell XPS 8500 desktop if that helps..)

-Concerning the Bifrost, I've read about the analog and usb upgrades. Do I *need* either or both of these, and if I were to spend extra, is the upgrade in audio quality (if any) noticeable and worth it? (I use apple lossless iTunes files at 256 kbps and lossless cd rips. I'm also considering starting an hd tracks collection for 24/192. Do I need a program like foobar instead to run files or does the amp/dac combo suffice as is?)

-As far as voltage with both the Lyr and Bifrost, do I need 115 or 230v?

-With the Lyr, should I order the GE or JJ stock tubes? If I were to upgrade, what are some ideal pairings? (I read about Telefunken tubes, and how they are expensive and hard to find, but worth the $.)

I know I also have to install drivers. Is there anything else I need to get this rig up and running? Programs for better sound quality? Am I missing anything?

Your help is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance, much respect!

-Bobby  

That's OT here.  This thread is for recommendation of full sized headphones. 

You should post in the computer audio and/or amp sections of the forum.

May 5, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #28,167 of 29,490
Sorry. I was referred here by the automated new members message. Thanks!

May 5, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #28,169 of 29,490
I'll try to make this a quick one. I've actually asked about this before and did not get many recommendations. One was KRK KNS-6400, which looks okay but I could use a few more options. I am looking for a fairly neutral, good quality sound, but the 'phones need to be collapsible or have a smallish footprint. Basically, I need to be able to keep them in my backpack. I do not like on ear headphones or IEMs (hence my question here). They need to be closed and DAC/Amp friendly. They will be used to listen to music (all genres aside from country and rock) from my computer.

Price range: $50 ~ $200 (street)

May 5, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #28,170 of 29,490
Quote:
Ok guys, I need some help here.

Im looking for headphones that have the same "neutral" sound that shures have. but with more bass.

also I dont want them to be heavy like the shures (hehe)

What is your budget?
$200 max

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?
 I prefer closed with good isolation like the shures.

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?
 I will be picking up an Asus Xonar stx soundcard / amp. (these headphones are for computer use)

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?
I will be playing everything from 120kbs to 320kbs mp3 mainly, but I also play games and watch videos and do all kinds of things.
Music is the most important tho.

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?
If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?
I plan to do everything with these on the computer, but music is the most important. Trance and house are the only genres I listen to tho.. and like I said at the start of my post, I want them to have a neutral sound like the shures, but with more bass if possible.

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?
I only plan to use these at home on my computer.

need help with this plss

Users who are viewing this thread

Back