++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 5, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #28,141 of 29,490
Quote:

You're wanting to return the Amperior because you aren't concerned about portability, but then you're looking into the Momentum which is entirely a portable headphone? Pull the Momentum off your list if that is really the rationale you're using to return the Amperior.

I'm looking for an all purpose headphone (or headphones, if I can find something cheaper for at use home use that sounds better than the momentum headphones that can be for home use, in which case I'll keep the momentum so I have an at home and on-the-go pare).My rational is that I could return the amperior headphones so I could afford the momentum headphones. I'm curious to know if they would sound better than under 200 dollar unportable options, because I want both portability and a better at home listening experience. Right now I only have the Amperior, which while have better sound than the AE2, but hurts after a couple hours and lacks sound stage. That's why I want better headphones for at home. 

Because as of right now the amperior headphones are my only headphones, and they don't work as an all purpose headphone because they hurt.

May 5, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #28,142 of 29,490
Quote:
[size=13.6px]I was thinking about returning these amperior headphones. They'd be great for portable use, but I'm more concerned with use of headphones for home use. [/size][size=13.6px]I was thinking about returning them and getting the sennheiser momentum or AKG550 headphones which would be more comfortable for all day listening, and be good for an iPod driver and portable use. I cancelled my order for the AKG K240 on amazon so I could have more time to make up my mind. I was considering the AKG K240 and Beyerdynamic 770 and ath-50. Would the AKG 550 or Momentum have better sound quality than all of those and be better for home use and portable use? I want an all purpose headphone (or headphones). If i'm going to get one of the non portable options like beyerdynamic ath or akg I think I'll keep the amperior headphones. What are your thoughts?[/size]

Not sure why people keep repeating this over and over, but the K550s are not portable headphones, even less than the DT770 that you think is too big for portable use. And IMO the amperior sounds better than everything you've listed here.

If you want one general-purpose headphone then go for something like the K267.

May 5, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #28,143 of 29,490
Hi

Im looking to purchase new over ear headphones for myself, these will mostly be used for bike riding, running.
I was leaning towards purchasing Seenhieser HD 598 since I love the look and hear they are pretty decent as well,

But any pointers would be greatly appreciated my price range is about 200-350$ and I listen to mostly all types of music other than country, heavy metal.

Thankyou

May 5, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #28,144 of 29,490
Quote:

Not sure why people keep repeating this over and over, but the K550s are not portable headphones, even less than the DT770 that you think is too big for portable use. And IMO the amperior sounds better than everything you've listed here.

If you want one general-purpose headphone then go for something like the K267.

Would those be able to be powered by an iPod? What makes this better than the headphones I just listed like the beyerdynamic 770 AKG K240 or Ath-50? Is it close to or better than the sennheiser amperior in sound quality? I'm looking for a good sound stage, which the amperior lacks, as I mentioned. I explained in my last post that if I could get good headphones for under 200 dollars for at home use that have comparable sound to the amperiors with good sound stage then I could keep the amperiors and have headphones for at home and on the go use. 

May 5, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #28,145 of 29,490
Hi! So, I'm super new here, like I literally just registered, and I'm no audiophile by a long shot. I've only been using really crappy $20 open headphones for the longest time, so I honestly don't know what to do now that I think it's time I pick up some good headphones. However. Even though I'd love to buy whatever you guys exactly think I should get, I have limited options. Y'see, the store of which I'd be buying my headphones has a pretty neat warranty policy where they cover physical and well, non physical damage for a total of two years, and they can replace your headphones for you for a total of two times. I'd love to be insured like that, and every other local store I've checked doesn't even cover physical damage, so that's why I'd want to buy my headphones from this store. The only problem is that they have limited stock, and here's of what it consists of - the Sony MDR V55 headphones, the Sennheiser HD 449, the Sennheiser HD 205 II, the Monster N Pulse, the Monster Inspiration, every bloody thing Beats, and the Parrot Zik Bluetooth. From those headphones, which do you think would be the best for my needs, when you consider that I'd be getting these headphones for home use producing electronic music primarily, such as your standard techno, house, electro house, dubstep, etc.? I'm looking for definitely more of a balanced and I think the term is neutral sound, so I can mix and master my music as accurately as possible. Also, if it's possible to buy the headphones without having to get an amp, that would be ideal, AND, an over the ear headphone would be more to my liking as opposed to an on the ear headphone, but I could deal with on if the headphones are that much more better. Thanks so much for any help at all, I'm totally stumped here considering my lack of knowledge regarding headphones. :)

May 5, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #28,146 of 29,490
Quote:
Would those be able to be powered by an iPod? What makes this better than the headphones I just listed like the beyerdynamic 770 AKG K240 or Ath-50? Is it close to or better than the sennheiser amperior in sound quality? I'm looking for a good sound stage, which the amperior lacks, as I mentioned. I explained in my last post that if I could get good headphones for under 200 dollars for at home use that have comparable sound to the amperiors with good sound stage then I could keep the amperiors and have headphones for at home and on the go use. 

I've only heard the K167 - the smaller brother of the K267. Very good sounding for >$150, but just had too many flaws for me to keep. Apparently the K267 fixes a lot of those issues - weak plastic hinges replaced by metal ones, more plush earpads/headband, detachable cables, and no missing lower- mid frequencies. Easy enough to drive from portable sources and is decently portable- maybe not as much as the M100 but it still folds up nicely to throw in your bag. Sound alone I think the K167 trumps both the K240 and M50- and the K267 is supposed to be even more refined than that with a built-in acoustic bass port knobs.

May 5, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #28,147 of 29,490
Quote:

I've only heard the K167 - the smaller brother of the K267. Very good sounding for >$150, but just had too many flaws for me to keep. Apparently the K267 fixes a lot of those issues - weak plastic hinges replaced by metal ones, more plush earpads/headband, detachable cables, and no missing lower- mid frequencies. Easy enough to drive from portable sources and is decently portable- maybe not as much as the M100 but it still folds up nicely to throw in your bag. Sound alone I think the K167 trumps both the K240 and M50- and the K267 is supposed to be even more refined than that with a built-in acoustic bass port knobs.

I'm skeptical. If they aren't good enough for you, why are they good enough for me? I want to know how they compare to the amperior, because like I said, I will keep the amperior headphones if there is no better sounding headphone and get a headphone for home use so I can just use these on the go. If there's an all around better option I'll take it. I'm skeptical though because I don't see a whole lot of reviews for this headphone, so I'm not really sure if I would feel confident getting it. 

May 5, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #28,148 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
It appears that you need something very near to dead neutral.  That leads me to studio cans priced $200 and under that are reasonably efficient.  In turn that directs me to the KRK KNS 8400, Sony MDR 7506 and 7510.

I have not heard the SoundMagic.  However, it what I have read about them is accurate, they lean a bit bass heavy.

Thanks. I think the KRK KNS 8400 sound best for my tastes. Which of the cans you mentioned do you think is best your opinion?

They are all roughly equal, with each have advantages and disadvantages.  The 8400 offers more flexibility but less bass than the Sonys.  In the U.S., the 7506 is the best value.

May 5, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #28,149 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi

Im looking to purchase new over ear headphones for myself, these will mostly be used for bike riding, running.
I was leaning towards purchasing Seenhieser HD 598 since I love the look and hear they are pretty decent as well,

But any pointers would be greatly appreciated my price range is about 200-350$ and I listen to mostly all types of music other than country, heavy metal.

Thankyou

????  These are full sized, open with velvet style ear pads and a long (albeit replaceable) cable.  This is a horrible choice for your intended uses.

May 5, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #28,150 of 29,490
Hey, I'm in the early stage process of headphone buying. I'm a stanger to soundstage so I want in on that.

Budget is between 200 and 600 dollarsish.
I have an Amp, "the mcjizz" fiio e11,
And a DAC, hot audio dac destroyer.

Looking for a preferably open headphone. As soundstage is my goal here. My tricky request is that it has detailed bass and a balanced overall sound signature. I can't say ive ever heard soundstage before, so not sure what to expect... Im upgrading from M50's so be sure to call a cheeseburger on your way home.

Source is lossless codec, 16/44.1, mostly electronic dance music (non doctor p mid frequency screeching noises) from artists such as Phaeleh, Rameses B, and Minnesota.

Im also curious about impulse-response or "speed" of a headphone... Could anyone point me in the right direction as to what "speed" does to a headphones sound?

Thanks in advance.

May 5, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #28,151 of 29,490

Okay, I stood too close to the damn rabbit hole and now I'm falling.  I had no idea how amazing headphones could be.  A while back I thought the Harmon Kardon CLs sounded pretty good, but having given them another listen recently, I find they sound terrible to me (like someone put the sound in a cardboard box). But I'm slowing myself down now and having a think.

So I'm asking myself, what are my needs, really?  I have a lower mid-range sound system (7.1 AVR/speakers) that keeps me pretty happy, but I'm a renter, so I frequently have to compromise volume for the sake of my neighbors.  So I would like some good open cans with an excellent soundstage for that.

I think I'm good on closed cans and portables for now.  I currently have the ATH M50 and Sennheiser CX 280.  [EDIT - just listened to the DT770, so maybe not]

Question is, do I really need more than one of each of all these for tonal variety?  I listen to a broad variety of music, but very little country or serious jazz, and just a smattering of world art music (though I'm exploring).  Pretty much everything else is on the table (from light piano to death metal, and any type of vocals).  I think with my semi-limited use of phones, I would be good with one model of each for now, but I would like to find something that covers that full range pretty well.  Also, I'll be getting a portable amp (prob a Fiio), and running them off my AVR at home (prob get a pre-amp at some point).  So…

For Closed, I'm good with the M50 for now [though I see that changing soon].  For Portables, maybe some better IEMs (and I can see getting some small cans for certain activities later).   And for Open, my budget has gone up. I was looking to keep it under $150; now I would like to keep it around $300 or under.

So for Open cans under $300, any suggestions that would fall into the realm of large soundstage and broad tonal versatility?
I'm leaning toward the DT 990 or DT 880 (if I can find the right price), the HD598 (how does it compare to the 600?), the K701/K702, and the SR325is.
I've also considered getting multiple special-purpose cans, i.e. the ATH-AD900 for classical/instrumental.

[EDIT - I learned of a place nearby (thanks to the Head-fi Meets forum) where I could give some of these phones a listen. I checked out the DT 880 and DT 770.  I liked the sound, based on limited listening, of course.  And they were oh so comfy.  Also, I saw there's a Meet coming soon to my area that I'm going to try to get to.  So I guess this is more of a "what should I focus on learning there at this early stage?" post.]

May 5, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #28,152 of 29,490
Hey, I'm in the early stage process of headphone buying. I'm a stanger to soundstage so I want in on that.

Budget is between 200 and 600 dollarsish.
I have an Amp, "the mcjizz" fiio e11,
And a DAC, hot audio dac destroyer.

Looking for a preferably open headphone. As soundstage is my goal here. My tricky request is that it has detailed bass and a balanced overall sound signature. I can't say ive ever heard soundstage before, so not sure what to expect... Im upgrading from M50's so be sure to call a cheeseburger on your way home.

Source is lossless codec, 16/44.1, mostly electronic dance music (non doctor p mid frequency screeching noises) from artists such as Phaeleh, Rameses B, and Minnesota.

Im also curious about impulse-response or "speed" of a headphone... Could anyone point me in the right direction as to what "speed" does to a headphones sound?

Thanks in advance.

Pretty much any open headphone in your budget range will be a significant improvement over the M50 in soundstage, which has very little.

If the M50 is your main headphone experience, I would also encourage you to look at headphones that are not exactly balanced given your desire for detailed bass and your music interests. DT880 (which is often described as fairly neutral but with a treble spike) and HE-400 (a little warm) are two you might look into. Sometimes it's the sound signature of the headphones as a whole--the voicing--that makes it work well for the genre. Both of those headphones did very well in this extensive Battle of the Flagship headphones review: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-ultimate-ears-uerm-added-4-14-13

May 5, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #28,153 of 29,490
What is your budget?

€150,- ($200)

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

It doesn't matter what they are, they just shouldn't leak too much.

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

I will be using them on my laptop with intergrated Realtek HD audio soundcard. No amp.

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Pretty much anything from 128 kbps to 320 kbps CBR MP3.

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?
If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?
I do like a fun sound signature with good punchy, tight deep bass, but I do like a balanced sound. Neutral can be too boring for me. I'm looking for good clarity, detail, punchy tight deep bass, instrument separation, good soundstage and imaging and clear detailed vocals in general. I only listen to rap/hiphop and occasionally some dubstep.

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?
I'll be using them at home in my bedroom, but occasionally I'll use them in my living room.

May 5, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #28,154 of 29,490
Quote:

Okay, I stood too close to the damn rabbit hole and now I'm falling.  I had no idea how amazing headphones could be.  A while back I thought the Harmon Kardon CLs sounded pretty good, but having given them another listen recently, I find they sound terrible to me (like someone put the sound in a cardboard box). But I'm slowing myself down now and having a think.

So, my needs?  I have a lower mid-range sound system (7.1 AVR/speakers) that keeps me pretty happy, but I'm a renter, so I frequently have to compromise volume for the sake of my neighbors.  So I would like some good open cans with an excellent soundstage for that.

I would like some good closed cans for travel and for visiting with people.  I currently have the ATH M50 (okay for now).  [EDIT - just listened to the DT770, so maybe not]

I would like some IEMs for exercising, shopping, errand-running, etc. I currently have the Sennheiser CX 280 (also okay for now).

Question is, do I really need more than one of each of all these for tonal variety?  I listen to a broad variety of music, but very little country or serious jazz, and just a smattering of world art music (though I'm exploring).  Pretty much everything else is on the table (from light piano to death metal, and any type of vocals).  I think with my semi-limited use of phones, I would be good with one model of each for now, but I would like to find something that covers that full range pretty well.  Also, I'll be getting a portable amp (prob a Fiio), and running them off my AVR at home (prob get a pre-amp at some point).  So…

For Closed, I'm good with the M50 for now [though I see that changing soon].  For Portables, maybe some better IEMs (and I can see getting some small cans for certain activities later).   And for Open, my budget has gone up. I was looking to keep it under $150; now I would like to keep it around $300 or under.

So for Open cans under $300, any suggestions that would fall into the realm of large soundstage and broad tonal versatility?
I'm leaning toward the DT 990 or DT 880 (if I can find the right price), the HD598 (how does it compare to the 600?), the K701/K702, and the SR325is.
I've also considered getting multiple special-purpose cans, i.e. the ATH-AD900 for classical/instrumental.

[EDIT - I learned of a place nearby (thanks to the Head-fi Meets forum) where I could give some of these phones a listen. I checked out the DT 880 and DT 770.  I liked the sound, based on limited listening, of course.  And they were oh so comfy.  Also, I saw there's a Meet coming soon to my area that I'm going to try to get to.  So I guess this is more of a "what should I focus on learning there at this early stage?" post.]

Get the DT 880 Pro 250 Ohm version.  It best fits your needs, budget and audio equipment.

May 5, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #28,155 of 29,490
Ok guys, I need some help here.

Im looking for headphones that have the same "neutral" sound that shures have. but with more bass.

also I dont want them to be heavy like the shures (hehe)

What is your budget?
$200 max

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?
 I prefer closed with good isolation like the shures.

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?
 I will be picking up an Asus Xonar stx soundcard / amp. (these headphones are for computer use)

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?
I will be playing everything from 120kbs to 320kbs mp3 mainly, but I also play games and watch videos and do all kinds of things.
Music is the most important tho.

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?
If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?
I plan to do everything with these on the computer, but music is the most important. Trance and house are the only genres I listen to tho.. and like I said at the start of my post, I want them to have a neutral sound like the shures, but with more bass if possible.

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?
I only plan to use these at home on my computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back