++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 25, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #27,706 of 29,490
I am willing to spend up to $1,000 for:
  1. Over the ear, closed back (minimal leakage)
  2. Good detail in the mids, not overwhelming bass
  3. Comfortable for long listening
  4. Detachable cord a plus, cord only on one side a plus
  5. Not requiring a headphone amp a plus, but if the total of headphone + amp hits 1k, that could be OK

Listening conditions:
  1. Will be mostly 320 kbps mp3 / flac
  2. I listen to mostly electronic and some contemporary classical. Let's say Infected Mushroom, Amon Tobin, and Max Richter.
  3. Will be from a computer mostly (1/8 inch trs, but adapter from 1/4 is fine)

I own a pair of AKG K 272s and I love how much detail I can hear in the mids. The bass is a little underwhelming but the fairly flat response and high clarity make me very happy with them. It's time for an upgrade though.

Today I tried on a pair of Sennheiser HD 700s and they absolutely blew me away. My original price limit was $500 but after hearing these it's now $1,000, haha. The amount of detail I could hear in my test tracks (320 kbps mp3s from iphone) was phenomenal. I also tried a pair of Sennheiser HD 598s and they were super lush. I think I get what the size of a "sound stage" means after listening to these two. They're both open backed though, so not applicable this time 
frown.gif
 But hopefully this is an indicator that I can appreciate higher quality cans.

I tried on some Audio Technica ATH-W1000xs, and while the sound was detailed, it sounded distinctly closed to me, like the sound was smaller compared to others. More like I could tell it was coming from a specific sound source sitting so far from my ears.

Finally I tried some AKG K550s. They were nice, good sound stage, very good bass, but the highs were a little too punchy for me. For my genres of music, they were fatiguing to listen to things with crisp, hard hitting high frequencies. I had to turn the volume down to make them more comfortable to hear and when I hit that comfort level it was harder to hear the details that I could hear in other headphones at the same volume. The sound seemed a little V shaped to me, and the mids were fine but the detail seemed more in the highs than the mids.

I have been recommended to search the Beyerdynamic headphones but unfortunately have not been able to demo them yet.

I do not need to go up to $1,000, I'd be fine with a pair of $200 cans if they sound good.

Apr 25, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #27,707 of 29,490
DelvarWorld, strictly speaking in terms of headphones in the $1000 range, you might want to check out the Audeze LCD-2s. New they will run you 1k, I have no idea what they go for used but obviously cheaper. Ive never demo'd them, but I hear they have amazing mids and are pretty much amazing all around.

I know almost nothing about specific Amps and DACs, but I can tell you that almost every high end $500 plus over ear benefits immensly from, if not requires, signifigant ampage. Even if you got the LCD-2s used the amp would probably carry you over budget, but worth checking out?

-Max

Apr 25, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #27,708 of 29,490
Hey everybody, I'm new to all this audio stuff. I just got my first pair of headphones last week. I bought the red version of the Audio Technica ATHM50s. After further research, I stumbled upon a thread with the new WS99s. What are your guys' opinion on them?

I really like my M50s. They sound a whole lot clearer than my apple earpods. I wasn't that wowed by the bass or isolation though. I mainly bought them to use while studying. They do isolate some noise, but I'd like a bit more isolation. Will the WS99 do this? Also, how clear are they compared to the M50s? Which overall is better?

Thanks!

Apr 25, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #27,709 of 29,490
Quote:
I am willing to spend up to $1,000 for:
  1. Over the ear, closed back (minimal leakage)
  2. Good detail in the mids, not overwhelming bass
  3. Comfortable for long listening
  4. Detachable cord a plus, cord only on one side a plus
  5. Not requiring a headphone amp a plus, but if the total of headphone + amp hits 1k, that could be OK

I agree with Max with the LCD-2's. While they aren't closed headphones, they have an amazingly linear frequency response. That being said though, I just spent about ~$100 on Fostex T50-RP's and modding material and I have a headphone that competes with the LCD-2's. It's a cheap, planar magnetic headphone with amazing mids and bass extension. AND they are close backed. Now, I should also mention that I've never tried the LCD-2's myself, but I followed an in depth tutorial on how to make my Fostex sound just like them (according to many head-fiers). Personally, if I had that budget, I would put most of it towards an amp/DAC. Or buy 5+ different headphones and sell the ones you don't want :p

Apr 25, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #27,710 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey everybody, I'm new to all this audio stuff. I just got my first pair of headphones last week. I bought the red version of the Audio Technica ATHM50s. After further research, I stumbled upon a thread with the new WS99s. What are your guys' opinion on them?

I really like my M50s. They sound a whole lot clearer than my apple earpods. I wasn't that wowed by the bass or isolation though. I mainly bought them to use while studying. They do isolate some noise, but I'd like a bit more isolation. Will the WS99 do this? Also, how clear are they compared to the M50s? Which overall is better?

Thanks!

You should probably ask the guys on the WS99.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/650449/the-new-ws99-at-fan-thread

I haven't heard the WS99 but I started off with the M50's and moved up to the V-MODA M-100's and what a difference compared to the M50's.  The bass/sub bass is just so low and deep and clear (it is just amazing), mids are clear and present (M50 mids are very recessed) and trebles are clear but lack the sparkle of the M50's (the M-100's trebled are rolled off to prevent hearing damage).  The sound is much fuller, clearer and less fatiguing to listen to than the M50.  Just my 2 cents.

Apr 25, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #27,711 of 29,490
Sorry to bother yet again but I still dont have my answer, are there any, at all, good headsets if my maximum is 120 bucks? Or any good Headphone/mic combo? With specific tips for both components. Sennheiser PC 330 looks nice  but I have no idea how it really is

Apr 25, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #27,712 of 29,490
Quote:
Sorry to bother yet again but I still dont have my answer, are there any, at all, good headsets if my maximum is 120 bucks? Or any good Headphone/mic combo? With specific tips for both components. Sennheiser PC 330 looks nice  but I have no idea how it really is

Forgive me for not going back through pages to see your original post, but this post does not clarify what you are interested in. Music preferences, open vs. closed, comfort, etc. As far as a headset with a mic... no idea. I just use a desktop mic with any pair of headphones.

Apr 25, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #27,713 of 29,490
Quote:
Forgive me for not going back through pages to see your original post, but this post does not clarify what you are interested in. Music preferences, open vs. closed, comfort, etc. As far as a headset with a mic... no idea. I just use a desktop mic with any pair of headphones.

Its fine, well I prefer closed circumaural fullsize headphones (I am willing to go anything, but this type was used most often in my case and its the one I was almost always fully satisfied). Comfort is definitely a big factor for me.

About types of music...its hard to say because I listen to almost anything, but my favourites are mainly from these genres : Rock, Classical, Metal and a little bit of electronic music. Do you need any more info? Sorry if the music types are vague or innacurate.

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #27,716 of 29,490
Quote:
Its fine, well I prefer closed circumaural fullsize headphones (I am willing to go anything, but this type was used most often in my case and its the one I was almost always fully satisfied). Comfort is definitely a big factor for me.

About types of music...its hard to say because I listen to almost anything, but my favourites are mainly from these genres : Rock, Classical, Metal and a little bit of electronic music. Do you need any more info? Sorry if the music types are vague or innacurate.

Hmm. If you prefer to have a headset with a mic, I can't help. Though, I did see a lot of reviews on those Sennheisers that you had mentioned. I use a $10 Logitech desktop mic which allows me to use any headphone. Typically I like to recommend the ATH-A900X for anyone not super interested in bass. These cans are closed, built very well, extremely comfortable, and have great soundstage. Plus, buydig keeps selling them for crazy good deals (I got mine for $129 about a month ago).

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #27,717 of 29,490
Quote:
Hmm. If you prefer to have a headset with a mic, I can't help. Though, I did see a lot of reviews on those Sennheisers that you had mentioned. I use a $10 Logitech desktop mic which allows me to use any headphone. Typically I like to recommend the ATH-A900X for anyone not super interested in bass. These cans are closed, built very well, extremely comfortable, and have great soundstage. Plus, buydig keeps selling them for crazy good deals (I got mine for $129 about a month ago).

My budget is unfortunately limited by 120 dollars (as in it cant go past that) .

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #27,718 of 29,490
Apr 25, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #27,719 of 29,490
Apr 25, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #27,720 of 29,490
budget: 100-150$ max
source: my soundcard Line6 UX2
uses: i connect my guitar to UX2 and i will connect my headphone to soundcard too. 

i don't know what spesific properties a headphone should have for this conditions. if someone give me some model names it'd be great. Also answers and clues according to my questions are well appraciated. thanks for helping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back