++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 14, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #27,271 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
The MS-1 and SR 125i are very close.  I'd give an ever so slight nod to the 125, but others may slightly prefer the Alessandro.

I have not heard the earlier version of either of these cans (only some of the upline Grados).  From reading about them, I suspect that the newer versions are just a bit improved.

so would you recomend me getting the grados or alessandro? i could get the alessandro faster cause they're cheaper or wait and save money for the grados. i also want the flatest one

Then I'd go with the Alessandro.

Apr 14, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #27,272 of 29,490
Quote:
The old Sony XB series isnt too appealing .. Maybe the new Song XB900 would be more suitable for someone in highschool. And an amp will smooth out the dips and peaks in bad files which will offer much better SQ out of Pandora.

Or emphasize them. It's all situational and can vary depending on the amp. Seriously, if you're a high school kid and you're wandering the campus carrying around a backpack and any other crap, the last thing you'd want to do is make your mobile music rig more cumbersome by adding an amp unless it really is a very small footprint. That's just my opinion. The XB700 and particularly the M100 are great cans for his application and they don't require an amp to sound good when connecting to portable devices.

Apr 14, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #27,273 of 29,490
Quote:
hi everybody. very informative forum! hope i dont sound to negative. here we go... im kinda disappointed with my new HD25-l ll's. the mids are excellent but, the kick drum is lacking. ive also noticed their not loud enough for me going through a zip clip with rockbox. my klipsch over ear cans are very loud through the zip clip. i dont get it. ive been burning in these cans since early wednesday morning. anyways... im impressed enough with the mids to work with these cans. what can i do to get more volume and improve double kick-drum? i listen to mostly metal. kick drum with authority is a must. as much as i hate apple with a passion... im gonna need a larger mp3 player to pair with a portable amp. i need suggestions for a good portable amp that matches well with the HD25's. ive read countless threads of people saying you dont need an amp with these cans. sorry, not going for it. they do. unless all you listen to is classical and accoustic, then no... you dont need one. thanx for any suggestions :)

The HD25-l ll is a 70 Ohm can with a sensitivity rating of 120 dB.  That's plenty efficient for my iPhone 4.  It might not be for weaker portable players or on board computer audio.  The upline Amperior, which only comes with a 1/8" connection, is just as sensitive, but is rated at only 18 Ohms.

Others can recommend a portable amp for you. I have only one (which I bought for use with cans in the 250 to 300 Ohm neighborhood) and it is no longer in production.  Again, you may find that some of players you are considering may not need an amp.

Apr 14, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #27,274 of 29,490

you know it  
wink.gif

FTFY :)

It's been bothering me, the xb500/700/1000 have been out of production for a LONG time. a few months back I checked and most were sold out on amazin. Now they're back. Chinese manufactures making them or did sony decide to bring them back? 

Apr 14, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #27,276 of 29,490
Quote:
FTFY :)

It's been bothering me, the xb500/700/1000 have been out of production for a LONG time. a few months back I checked and most were sold out on amazin. Now they're back. Chinese manufactures making them or did sony decide to bring them back? 

Good observation. I know the XB series (and really anything popular Sony does) is highly copied, so it should be a concern. Oh, and I will end you.

Apr 14, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #27,277 of 29,490
Hi everybody,

I'm looking for some recommendations on headphones. I've narrowed it down to these options:
  1. Audio Technica ath a900x
  2. beyerdynamic dt770 or Custom One Pro
  3. Shure SRH840
  4. Soundmagic HP100
  5. Sennheiser HD 449
  6. Superlux HD681 EVO / HD668B

Basically, I'm looking for closed headphones that have a large soundstage (compared to other closed headphones at least), good instrument separation, and clear sound. Not really a "basshead" - I tried some Beats yesterday and the bass gave me a headache! X(  I listen to all genres of music but especially like classical, jazz, and some pop. I would like to get open headphones but unfortunately my current situation does not allow it... If there are open headphones that don't leak much sound out then it would be okay, I don't really care about sound leaking in. Portability is not a huge priority but it would be nice, and I would like them to be comfortable. Finally, I would like to stay below $200.

Any guidance is appreciated, thanks :)

Apr 14, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #27,278 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi everybody,

I'm looking for some recommendations on headphones. I've narrowed it down to these options:
  3. Shure SRH840
  4. Soundmagic HP100
  5. Sennheiser HD 449

Basically, I'm looking for closed headphones that have a large soundstage (compared to other closed headphones at least), good instrument separation, and clear sound. Not really a "basshead" - I tried some Beats yesterday and the bass gave me a headache! X(  I listen to all genres of music but especially like classical, jazz, and some pop. I would like to get open headphones but unfortunately my current situation does not allow it... If there are open headphones that don't leak much sound out then it would be okay, I don't really care about sound leaking in. Portability is not a huge priority but it would be nice, and I would like them to be comfortable. Finally, I would like to stay below $200.

What will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

Apr 14, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #27,279 of 29,490
Ah, I knew I was forgetting something. These will be used with my iPod nano and computer, no amp right now. I'd like headphones that don't require an amp but would benefit from one, thanks.

Also forgot to add to the list: Jaycar Pro Monitor Headphones (same as Fischer Audio FA-003 and Brainwavz HM5)

Apr 14, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #27,280 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi everybody,

3. Shure SRH840
  4. Soundmagic HP100
  5. Sennheiser HD 449

Absolutely the SoundMAGIC HP100.

Apr 14, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #27,281 of 29,490
Round 2 for me on this thread (dang, it's been a while!) so here I go:

I use iPhone 3GS--Fiio L3 LOD--FiiO E11
I currently use my SkullCandy Aviators (I hate SC too, TRUST ME, but the Aviators rock).

I'm looking into either the:
ATH-M50S (of course, have for years) + some velours maybe
OR
the JVC HA-S500Z

Price aside, which should I go for?

Apr 14, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #27,284 of 29,490
What type of music do you listen to the most?

Almost anything, except metal and screamo. Some of my favorite bands are: Jukebox the Ghost, Radiohead, Beastie Boys, Guster, Ben Folds/Five, The Black Keys, Noah and the Whale, Relient K, Green Day, Muse, Gorillaz, Grizzly Bear, He is We, Lights, Neon Trees, The Offspring, Owl City, and Taylor Swift, just to name a few :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back