++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 14, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #27,256 of 29,490
hi everyone i hear a lot of stuff about the grado and alessandro headhones and i want to know if the alessandro ms1 sounds better than the grado sr125. and is there a difference between those and their impproved versions?
Thanks for your help

Apr 14, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #27,257 of 29,490
Quote:
hi everyone i hear a lot of stuff about the grado and alessandro headhones and i want to know if the alessandro ms1 sounds better than the grado sr125. and is there a difference between those and their impproved versions?
Thanks for your help

The MS-1 and SR 125i are very close.  I'd give an ever so slight nod to the 125, but others may slightly prefer the Alessandro.

I have not heard the earlier version of either of these cans (only some of the upline Grados).  From reading about them, I suspect that the newer versions are just a bit improved.

Apr 14, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #27,258 of 29,490
hi everybody. very informative forum! hope i dont sound to negative. here we go... im kinda disappointed with my new HD25-l ll's. the mids are excellent but, the kick drum is lacking. ive also noticed their not loud enough for me going through a zip clip with rockbox. my klipsch over ear cans are very loud through the zip clip. i dont get it. ive been burning in these cans since early wednesday morning. anyways... im impressed enough with the mids to work with these cans. what can i do to get more volume and improve double kick-drum? i listen to mostly metal. kick drum with authority is a must. as much as i hate apple with a passion... im gonna need a larger mp3 player to pair with a portable amp. i need suggestions for a good portable amp that matches well with the HD25's. ive read countless threads of people saying you dont need an amp with these cans. sorry, not going for it. they do. unless all you listen to is classical and accoustic, then no... you dont need one. thanx for any suggestions :)

Apr 14, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #27,259 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for a nice pair of portable phones to take to school and for general listening. 

Budget - $200 sorda flexible I would prefer to stay under though. 

Source - External sound card and android phone

Requirements for Isolation - No preference really

Preferred Type of Headphone - full-sized. idk about open or closed. I would prefer either a removable cord or a straight cord. Taking a 6 foot curly cord to school isn't really practical. Also I wear fairly thick rimmed glasses 50% of the time so I would prefer some comfy pads. I'm not completely against IEM's, but I have just never owned a pair that sounded as good as the full-sized phones I've owned.

Preferred tonal balance - I like bass, but I wouldn't call myself a basshead. So I'm leaning more towards a balanced range.

Past headphones - I'm not really an audiophile so I cant really add much more detail, but I enjoyed my sony mdr-7506's up until the left channel **** out. That's why I'm getting a new pair. 

Preferred Music - house, dnb, post-rock, instrumental hip-hop, minimal electronic, various other things

Maduk ft Veela - Ghost
God is an Astronaut - All is Violent, All is Bright
Mr. Scruff - So Long
deadmau5 - Strobe
Bonobo - Noctuary
Shag - Song of Healing

I will probably be playing games with them, but I don't really care about hearing footsteps and **** like that. I have a pair of logitech G35's if I need that. 

I was eyeing the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PROs based off of a recommendation from a friend, but it looks like only the 250 ohm version only has a curly cord and the 80 ohm looks to expensive. 

Go to the For Sale forum here and snatch up a Beyerdynamic DT1350 for your needs and preferences

Apr 14, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #27,260 of 29,490
Okay, so I've decided to lose the guitar practice part my requirements for phones, and now I plan to get cans only for use with my laptop and just get earplugs for music. I've decided on getting the ATH-M50 without a straight cable. My two questions are; will my laptop be able to put out good volume on the ATH-M50? I know I'm being over-critical, and that 38 Ohms could probably be powered by a laptop, but I'm really worried. The second question is that I've heard only about the straight cable M50 and I was wondering if having a coiled cable would really affect the sound of the phones. 
On another note, does anyone know how to get lossless files for my music? I'm only using MP3's right now, and I've heard that FLAC or WMA lossless files are much better.
Please answer and thanks for the help!

Apr 14, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #27,261 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi there, I'm new here :p

My budget is sub £80 (so like £80 maximum but if there are decent ones below that then by all means...)
I'm not sure about amps or anything. I only have a PC headset at the moment which does plug in to a sound card with a headphone amp, so I'm told. I do want to be able to use this for my iPhone as well.

I'm looking for headphones that work well with Electro and Drum & Bass. I also listen to bands such as Fall Out Boy, Hard-Fi, Artic Monkeys and Two Door Cinema Club though, as well as pop (including K-POP). I shall list a few YT links below as that sounds like a good idea.

How do I feel about bass? Well, I have quite a bassy equalizer on my PC at the moment, here's a link. It's a mix between the flat and 'bass' presets. I currently use Steelseries Siberia V2's which is a gaming headset. It sounds ridiculously tinny without an equalizer on it but it's pretty good with one on. I like bass to be tight and punchy, I definitely don't want everything sounding muddy the whole time (Tried on a mate's Beats once, they were awful. Sounded like I was underwater). 

So I looked at the Sennheiser HD449's which are going for £70 at the moment. The reviews said they weren't ideal for bassy genres like Electro, so I'm a bit put off by them. They look excellent though.

Some suggested the HD419's are better for bass and I'm fine with going for those but of course they are much, much cheaper so presumably much lower quality in the other departments.

I looked at the Audio Technica ath-m50 which seems to tick all the boxes for my genres, but I'm afraid it's just too far outside of my budget (Can you believe it's like $120 in the US but £130 in the UK, awful). Also they didn't really look that nice compared to the Sennheisers.

Here's a bit of music:
PSY - Gentleman
Fall Out Boy - Alone Together
Arctic Monkeys - This House is a Circus
Hard-Fi - Televison
Two Door Cinema Club - What You Know
Mediks - Lights (D&B)
DJ Fresh - Hot Right Now (Camo & Krooked Mix) (D&B)

Thanks in advance for your help :)

How much are the CAL! in the UK? They're not bass-heavy by any means but comparable to the M50s.

Apr 14, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #27,262 of 29,490
I'm looking for a replacement for my Alessandro MS-1 that has fallen to bits over the past few months.

Budget: Around £100. Could stretch it a little for the right headphones. Would happily buy 2nd hand.

Source: Linn Axis Turntable, Pink Triangle DAC and a old Minidisc recorder being used as a DAC for gaming and Spotify.

Amp: The headphone socket on a Bryston B60 which is meant to be pretty good. Would be nice if they sounded okay out of an iPad but not essential.

Isolation: Don't need any.

Preferred type of headphone: Circumaural that is comfortable with glasses on. Don't really want IEMs for home.

Preferred sound: I tend to like forward, detailed and fast headphones with tight punch bass (and maybe a bit bass light). Was happy with the way the MS-1s sounded most of the time though I would like something with a bit more soundstage and slightly less aggressive.

Past headphones: Alessando MS-1, Head-direct RE-2, Audio Technica FC-7

Preferred Music: Indie pop/rock, rock, pop and a little bit of electronic, soul, jazz and classical.

Alt-J - Breezeblocks

The Specials - A Message to you Rudy
The Staves - Facing West
David Bowie -  Sound and Vision
Johnny Foreigner - Our Bipolar Friends
Lifeformed - Cider Time
Belle & Sebastian - Judy and the Dream of Horses
Charlie Parker - Constellation

Other uses: They will be used for gaming but I generally play single player and strategy games so immersion is more important than accuracy of soundstage. Music is more important than gaming.

Interested in: Audio Technica Ath-AD900X - Would have to import and would probably be over budget.

Alessandro MS-1 - Would rather something with a larger soundstage and more comfortable.
                     Audio Technica Ath-AD700 - Are £125 (~$190) in the UK and I'm worried by the lack of bass.

Any other suggestions are greatly received.

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #27,264 of 29,490
Quick question:

I can either get a Sennheiser HD598, or i can get a Sennheiser HD558 + Fiio E07K.

I don't have an amp, and my source is an Ipod Touch 5th and my laptop(which has a worse headphone out than my Ipod)

I can get them for about 20$ difference. Which would be better? I'm leaning towards the HD558 and the E07K because i would have a DAC and amp for the future.

Apr 14, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #27,265 of 29,490
Quick question:

I can either get a Sennheiser HD598, or i can get a Sennheiser HD558 + Fiio E07K.

I don't have an amp, and my source is an Ipod Touch 5th and my laptop(which has a worse headphone out than my Ipod)

I can get them for about 20$ difference. Which would be better? I'm leaning towards the HD558 and the E07K because i would have a DAC and amp for the future.

I prefer the 598 because of its brighter signature compared to the 558, but the differences are really small. The E07K is a very nice portable amp. Assuming you've done all the research and these are truly your only two choices, I'd go with the 558 and E07K.

Apr 14, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #27,266 of 29,490
Quote:
The MS-1 and SR 125i are very close.  I'd give an ever so slight nod to the 125, but others may slightly prefer the Alessandro.

I have not heard the earlier version of either of these cans (only some of the upline Grados).  From reading about them, I suspect that the newer versions are just a bit improved.

so would you recomend me getting the grados or alessandro? i could get the alessandro faster cause they're cheaper or wait and save money for the grados. i also want the flatest one

Apr 14, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #27,267 of 29,490
I listen to dubstep, a little drum and bass, house, electro, and almost any kind of electronic music you can think of. I use a Samsung Galaxy S3 for playing music. Portability isn't really an issue, they just need to be small enough to fit in my backpack. (I currently use Bose AE2 phones, they fit perfectly with a little extra room) I'm in high school, and I ride the bus to school every day, so I need closed back phones with decent isolation. I'd be willing to pay around $250 for a pair, and I'm a basshead, so I want a pair that puts out clear, deep bass without compromising on mids and highs. I also listen to music with Pandora most of the time, and I was wondering what effect this has on audio quality. I have subscribed to Pandora One, an have the higher quality audio setting on, but I'm still unsure. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I also need advice on an amplifier, if applicable.

Apr 14, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #27,269 of 29,490
Quote:
I listen to dubstep, a little drum and bass, house, electro, and almost any kind of electronic music you can think of. I use a Samsung Galaxy S3 for playing music. Portability isn't really an issue, they just need to be small enough to fit in my backpack. (I currently use Bose AE2 phones, they fit perfectly with a little extra room) I'm in high school, and I ride the bus to school every day, so I need closed back phones with decent isolation. I'd be willing to pay around $250 for a pair, and I'm a basshead, so I want a pair that puts out clear, deep bass without compromising on mids and highs. I also listen to music with Pandora most of the time, and I was wondering what effect this has on audio quality. I have subscribed to Pandora One, an have the higher quality audio setting on, but I'm still unsure. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I also need advice on an amplifier, if applicable.

Let's try and get you something that's efficient so you don't need an amp. Sony MDR-XB700 would fit you well. If you put a little effort into it, you can find the V-Moda Crossfade M-100 within your budget. Both cans run very very well without an amp and they'll absolutely fulfill your basehead needs. Cans with emphasis on low frequencies can generally mask poorly recorded or encoded sources, so I wouldn't worry too much. If you wanted something more neutral or analytical, then we'd have to have a serious talk about Pandora.

Apr 14, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #27,270 of 29,490
The old Sony XB series isnt too appealing .. Maybe the new Song XB900 would be more suitable for someone in highschool. And an amp will smooth out the dips and peaks in bad files which will offer much better SQ out of Pandora.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back