++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 9, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #27,106 of 29,490
Quote:
What is your budget?

Up to $200

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

No, closed cans definitely

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

my desktop using integrated sound from the motherboard. Might get an amp but I don't know very much about them.

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

320kbps MP3s and FLAC.

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?
If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

I listen mostly to classic rock (Styx, Pink Floyd, Foreigner, et. cetera), some electronic and house, occasional dubstep, and some harder rock.

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

I do plan to use them outside my home, but not too often, they'll be mostly indoor use, but I have roommates and don't want to bother them with too much leakage.  Outside of home they would be powered with the samsung galaxy s3 or an ipod touch.  I don't know much about amps so if there are any suggestions I'll consider them.

Check out the Logitech UE6000 and Shure SRH 840.

Apr 9, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #27,107 of 29,490
Quote:
What is your budget?

Up to $200

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

No, closed cans definitely

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

my desktop using integrated sound from the motherboard. Might get an amp but I don't know very much about them.

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

320kbps MP3s and FLAC.

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?
If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

I listen mostly to classic rock (Styx, Pink Floyd, Foreigner, et. cetera), some electronic and house, occasional dubstep, and some harder rock.

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

I do plan to use them outside my home, but not too often, they'll be mostly indoor use, but I have roommates and don't want to bother them with too much leakage.  Outside of home they would be powered with the samsung galaxy s3 or an ipod touch.  I don't know much about amps so if there are any suggestions I'll consider them.

My suggestion would be Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (80 Ohm version) and a ASUS Xonar DG sound card (DGX if you only have a PCI-e slot open).  Spend the remainder of your budget on something like a CMoy or FiiO E6 to help out when you take them outside of the house.

Apr 9, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #27,108 of 29,490
Quote:
To bad since they have great sound.

I'm lucky to have a very small head
beyersmile.png

Yeah, they didn't hurt my ears or head at all once I had the Beyerdynamic velour pads on, but they were too tight on my jaw. DT770 Pro 80s were good for comfort as well but the sound was a bit distant for me, so the search continues.

Apr 9, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #27,109 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello guys! I am just planning to buy a new pair of headphones and I'm using ATH M50 at the moment.

Below are my details:

- My budget is = $300 - $400
- I prefer OPEN and Over the Ear cans.
- I am going to use this basically for my PC most of the time.
- I have an Asus Xonar STX.
- I'll be using this for 50% gaming and 50% music.
- I prefer the type of headphones which is an "all around" type of cans as I listen to many genres of music. I am not really an audiophile but I really do notice the difference when I use my ATH M50 and other headphones. The sound that my M50 produces is really good or pleasant to my ears.

What I'm interested at the moment is Beyerdynamic DT880 and comparing it with Sennheisser HD598. Hope to hear more suggestion from you guys!

Thanks!

That sound card does provide an amp - how strong, I'm not sure. I'd go with the DT880 IMO, as they are amazing at an all-around type of cans. However, not sure if you can get the 600 ohm version with that amp. Perhaps investigate further. If you can't use the 600 ohm version, the HD598 might be the headphone for you.

Apr 9, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #27,111 of 29,490
Could someone tell me a few things about the Senheisser hd598's?

1. Do they work well unamped with a phone? (i.e. not so hq source)

2.How much would a cmoy/a47 help with the sound?

3.How do female vocals sound with them?

4. Any other recommendations for decent open headphones <150$ (the 598's are used ones for 120$)

Thanks! :)

Apr 9, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #27,112 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi DemonFox,

Thanks for your response.  The TH600s do look interesting.  By the sound of it they are quite similar to the Beyers.  Good recommendation.  I will keep it in mind.

Best,

B

Well they'll have a similar but improved sound and feel to the old Denon line not the new one that is totally different and already being heavily discounted :) 

Good luck in your search!! 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Apr 9, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #27,113 of 29,490
Quote:
Could someone tell me a few things about the Senheisser hd598's?

1. Do they work well unamped with a phone? (i.e. not so hq source)

2.How much would a cmoy/a47 help with the sound?

3.How do female vocals sound with them?

4. Any other recommendations for decent open headphones <150$ (the 598's are used ones for 120$)

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

1. Yes but will benefit greatly from being amp'd
2. The cMoy and Senn get along very well. great amp choice 
3. Stupid good
4. Nope, you've made a great choice
5. Ur Welcome 
bigsmile_face.gif

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Apr 9, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #27,114 of 29,490
Hi, i want to get a pair of headphones for my mother. Her favorite genre is country. I don't want anything too crazy, anywhere between $100-$300 i'm looking to spend. Something that doesn't necessarily need to be amped (i can always get an amp later on for her though). Open or closed, doesn't really matter. I have the hd 558's, but she doesn't really seem to care for them though. Maybe she doesn't like the laid back or "dark" sennheiser sound. Maybe a bright headphone? I'm not sure.

Apr 9, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #27,116 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, i want to get a pair of headphones for my mother. Her favorite genre is country. I don't want anything too crazy, anywhere between $100-$300 i'm looking to spend. Something that doesn't necessarily need to be amped (i can always get an amp later on for her though). Open or closed, doesn't really matter. I have the hd 558's, but she doesn't really seem to care for them though. Maybe she doesn't like the laid back or "dark" sennheiser sound. Maybe a bright headphone? I'm not sure.

She might like the Grado SR 225i or Alessandro MS-2.  However, she should try them first, as a good number of folks don't find them to be comfortable. 

Also good, just a bit bright (and considered by most to be very comfortable) are the closed KRK KNS 8400.

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #27,117 of 29,490
Quote:
Just saying--spending $100 to $250 on a portable amp can put a great many quality cans into play.

I am assuming you mean "$100-250 additional" here.  The Leckerton UHA-6S.MKii with the OPA627AP amp runs about $320.  So you're saying that spending in the $420-570 range on a portable amp can offer me a more powerful, better sounding device that can efficiently drive higher-impedance (say in the 250-600ohm range), closed back, circumaural headphones?  Just to be clear, my definition of portable is "</= to wallet-sized and self-powered."  Additionally, having a DAC/Amp combination in the MKii is very convenient as is the ability to charge by USB and line in by coax, optical, usb or 3.5mm.  What is available that can do this at that price point?  I haven't been in the market for a portable amp since last August so I honestly don't know what you have in mind.  

Quote:
Yes--"cans designed to play directly out of portable devices" means low to medium Ohm rated cans with sensitivity of about 100 dB and above.  This is not the IEM section of the forum, so I was not talking about them.  That leaves us with portable cans (generally on ear), full sized cans designed for use on the go and lifestyle cans.  Some are quite good (e.g. Senn Amperior).  Some are good, but overpriced relative to their performance--like the Beyer T5p (the similarly priced T1 blows it away) or T70P (the much cheaper DT 880 wipes the floor with it).  A large number of others are bad to mediocre. 

I haven't heard the T5p.  The DT-880 I have only ever heard in the 250ohm model going through a Furutech GT40.  Very balanced.  Nice warm low-mids with controlled sub-bass, articulate mids and glassy highs.  There was nothing wrong with it.  It was very nice but it wasn't exhilarating either.  It could have been the amp or the Squarepusher-esque source material I listened to but it just didn't rock my socks off.  While less accurate and less balanced, a pair of Q701s going through the same setup and source were more fun to listen to, offering a higher sound:head-bob ratio.   I found the T70p sound-stage slightly more spacious than the DT-880 but but with no where near the low-end detail - the DT880 unquestionably crushes the T70p in that regard.  The 880 is also semi-open back (aka, people in the room hear everything thing but the highs) which doesn't work for me.  The Amperior is on-ear - I prefer over ear for comfort and staging - and the reviews I've seen have been are good but not glowing.

Thanks again for your suggestions I will consider them.  

Best,

- B

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #27,118 of 29,490
I'm looking for a pair of headphones with no budget at all.

Music: dubstep, house, rock, some pop
Environment: school bus, noisy home, outdoors.
Will be powered by my iPhone 4S, also looking for a good amp+DAC combo to go with headphones.

I am a total bass head but can appreciate good mids and highs.

What can you guys come up with?

Bump because no one answered yet

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #27,120 of 29,490
I'm going to copy a post I made on another forum.  I'm hoping that I can get more opinions so I can make a more informed decision:

Greetings

I'm having a dilemma. I'm trying to choose some new headphones and I keep flipping back and forth between a few different models. I'd appreciate some input. Budget is ~$200 give or take (one of my choices is $250, not really looking to go higher; lower would be fine).

Here's the ones I'm stuck on:

Grado SR225i - These may be what I end up with, I'm going to audition them this afternoon.

Sennheiser HD 558 - Not sure on these, I didn't like my last Sennheisers (though they were cheap ones, HD 202, I think)

HiFiMAN HE-300 - Relatively new to my choice list. I know the HE-400 and HE-500s are highly recommended, and the HE-300s are on the OCN list, but I can't seem to find any actual user reviews.

Any others? I'm looking for open headphones (in case that wasn't already apparent 
color]
 ). I'd like something that has some bass (Rock, Power/Symphonic Metal mostly, occasionally Rap, Classical, Classic Rock). I'm willing to mod the headphones if that's what it takes (if I can make the Grado SR80i or even the SR60i have a significant sound improvement, I'd go there instead).

Trying to do my research, and the HE-300s are the only ones on my list that I can't audition locally (unless someone knows something I don't), but I am open to other suggestions. Local Tempe/Chandler/Ahwatukee area stores or almost anywhere online would be fine.

I currently own DT770s and AKG K240s (the K240s are likely going to be sold soon, though).

Edit: These will be 100% for music (with the occasional tv episode or movie; no games).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back