++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 8, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #27,078 of 29,490
I don't know much about the he-300's but I can tell you that I love my grados... For certain things... Jazz, vocal performances, acoustic and some rock. They can make you feel like your really there... But then they also like to remind you that they have limited punch in the bass regions and sound weird and out of place... Taping the bowls helps a lot... They sound much more detailed then the sr80's and aren't as harsh... Hope that helps.

I know the Grado sound isn't for everyone, and they have a definite reputation for being uncomfortable. I liked them for the couple of songs I used to listen to them with.

Based on 1 review I read, the HE-300s are on the bassy side, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I was mostly hoping someone out there has heard them and can give a users opinion.

Whatever way I go (one of these or something else) it will mostly be used for modern rock and power/symphonic metal, if that makes a difference.

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #27,080 of 29,490
Quote:
What is your budget?

Anywhere up to £150 GBP (Great British Pounds)

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

No; I want closed cans for sure

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

I will be using them on my computer with a Xonar DG sound card

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

320kbps MP3s and FLACs in the future

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?
If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

I listen mainly to EDM, rap, hip-hop, R&B, dubstep etc. but I do listen to stuff like pop, rock, Kpop and acoustic every now and again

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

No, I want headphones that are preferably circumaural and are generally described as being suitable for longer listening sessions, hence I'd expect heavier/bigger headphones that wouldn't be very practical for using outdoors, but I guess it couldn't hurt if they'd work with my Nexus 4 phone :)

Any suggestions besides DT770 Pro 80s or M-Audio Q40s?

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #27,081 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Several things make it difficult to understand what you're seeking.  First, you make two references to IEM's.  I believe it safe to say that few of us on this full sized headphone thread know much, if anything, about them.

Second, you say that you loved the sound coming from your M50.  However, with their recessed mids, they don't make for very good all around cans.  The M80's are basshead lite cans and even less suitable for all around use.  The Sonys sound too clinical to some, but few would describe them as sharp.  To me that means dry with harsh treble.  The dry part I can understand.  The harsh treble I can't.

Third, the M50's are generally viewed as reasonably comfortable (or at least not uncomfortable)--especially in their price class.  On the other hand, many find the Grados and Alessandros (especially the lower level ones with the flat pads that you are considering) to be uncomfortable.  They also have a very different sound signature from the M50 and M80.

Fourth, you have an under $30 amp that limits options (in addition to the fact that I am unfamiliar with the g Nano).

I was very earnest when I wrote asking if the wording of my thread was hard to understand, because I do not have audiophile friends and am not sure how to describe accurately what I am hearing. I did not, however, expect someone to take the time to break down my entire thread paragraph by paragraph, telling me how silly it sounded, yet not take the time to give any advice.

Thank you.

g Nano = 4th generation Ipod Nano.

Im aware that the Fii0 e6 is not top-of-the-line, however, it's what I currently have and it makes the music sound better. I'll work on getting better equipment. Its kinda what I'm trying to do here. 

My sound description is probably incorrect, I've not hung out on this forum for very long and do not have a lot of experience with high-quality headphones.

Your seriously telling me that there probably aren't any forum users here that have ever used IEMS? Once a full-sized headphone user, they are only allowed to buy and use more full-sized headphones?

I enjoy the kind of sound I get out of Etymotic IEMs like the MC5 and the Hf5. I would like to find some cans that have a comparable sound. If anyone has a recommendation, I'd very much appreciate it. 

Most of us have used an IEM or two, but prefer headphones.  Most of us have not used the IEM's you said that you like.  Therefore, you need to describe how they sound--their sound signature.

The key point about your amp (which may be just fine for IEM's) is that is not a very powerful one (regardless of quality--which is also relevant) to adequately power many full sized headphones.

While maybe others can do better, I don't really know enough about what you are seeking, based on your posts, to give you a meaningful recommendation.

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #27,082 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi gang,

Fairly new to the true "Hi-Fi" listening experience. I have had a pair of HD595's for a number of years, along with a Total BitHead. Unfortunately, my HD595's are beginning to crack and in lieu of wearing a duct-taped pair of cans, I am looking to replace them with something comparable. I would really like some help/suggestions/recommendations finding a pair of cans that pair nicely with my Total BitHead, so I'm assuming most of these are <$200.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, friends.

EDIT: these would be used 1/3 music, 1/3 movies, 1/3 gaming. I listen to a wide array of music, from classical to hip-hop. Thanks again!

A natural replacement within your budget is the HD 558.  Also good, efficient, within your  budget  and generally considered comfortable are the AD-900.

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #27,083 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
I'd say for under $100 the C&C BH or the Fiio e7k. The BH will have the better amp of the two but the Fiio also has a nice little DAC built in so if you ever listen through your computer you can have a higher quality signal.

LOL thanks.

The DT990/250 Pro (not premium version) is the can for you. The sound stages are very similar which isn't a knock on the 990's but more of a tribute to the 770's. But overall the DT990's are the superior can to me. 

All in all $300 or less can get you an amazing set up that will last you quite a while. 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

thank you much!

I was actually looking at the e17 plus and e9 and after some research and your recommendation I will be ordering the dt990's soon.

Excellent! Happy I could help! Well hell if you want the e17 and e9k I'll sell em to you lol 

Selling them to fund other projects so let me know if your interested.

Good luck!

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #27,084 of 29,490
Quote:
What is your budget?

$300-$600

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

No. I am currently looking to using this at school in our lab.

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

I currently have a Schiit Magni and Modi. I am willing to upgrade this as necessary.

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

256kbps-320kbps MP3s and FLACs, primarily

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?
If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

I am unsure what these genres are call but I have included some of the artists and video links below. Genres I do listen quite often that I know are
Reggae (Barrington Levy, BobMarley, YellowMan, Beres Hammond, ....), Dancehall (Elephant Man, Wayne Wonder, Busy Signal, ....), Chillstep, and some artists such as OceanLab, ATB, Tiesto, Cold play, daft punk, Phil Collins, Inception Soundtrack, Tron Soundtrack, Skyrim Soundtrack, a little RnB and Rap here and there,

I also listen to music similar to these youtube videos (if anyone can help me identify these genres, that would be great!)

The music I am really interested in right now! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9qavey27Kc

(Electronic?) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX56zvLMLWY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-A1NyhwoiU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN105gUwdlk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX3QEa1asfM

A little bit of dubstep - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbc-319VYlw

Skyrim Soundtrack - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyBE_uhDxrM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngHBKayr_O4

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

No, I will be using them indoors right now. I would like something comfortable. I have an average size head and ears. 

Some additional background. I have been using the ATH-M50s since last summer and really enjoy them. I then stepped up to the Ultrasones Pro 900 (paired with a FiiO E10 at the time). I was in love with the deep bass --may have been too much. I also did not like everything besides the bass was SO DARK! It was not crystal clear at all compared to my cheaper ATH-m50s. I got a chance to compare it to the Vmoda M100 and it offered a better balance between  bass and the upper end. but was still too Dark for me. Also, the m100 is very uncomfortable.

I currently have some Mr.Speakers Mad Dog's with Alpha Pads. Comfort is excellent (can wear them for hours). I think the only thing I don't like about it is the bass is just so thin. I understood that it was a neutral headphone going into it but didn't realize that the bass would be lacking. Perhaps I am use to having additional bass.

Any recommendations? I unfortunately cannot go open-back right now.

Since you like the M50 but not the Mad Dogs, a used D2000 or D5000 (both discontinued less than a year ago) seem like the best fits.

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #27,085 of 29,490
Quote:
Question for anyone who might know:

Does anyone have a comparison between the Grado SR225i and the HiFiMAN HE-300? They're close in price, but I know that means very little. Which one would be recommended? I've heard the Grado SR60i and SR80i, but didn't audition anything above that (will change tomorrow, unless someone says something spectacular about the HE-300s)

If you like its little brothers, you will love the SR 225i, considered by most to be the sweet spot of the SR line.

The dynamic design HE 300 seems to have just an "OK" reputation, unlike its upline ortho brothers, who garnish a great deal of praise in their respective market/price segments.

Apr 9, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #27,086 of 29,490
Quote:
Since you like the M50 but not the Mad Dogs, a used D2000 or D5000 (both discontinued less than a year ago) seem like the best fits.

Quote:
used denon d5000, maybe a lawton set used if you can find one.

Thanks for the replies. Funny thing is, that is what I told myself originally to get last summer when all of this stuff hit me (when I started to get into all of this). Then it got discontinued and I just gave up and looked elsewhere.

What about their new lineup?

Any other recommendations?

Apr 9, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #27,087 of 29,490
Hi everybody,

Today I was listening to a Beyer T70P through my Leckerton UHA-6S.MKii and I really liked it...but...there were a couple of things that could make it perfect. 

First of all what I liked about it:

- Very comfortable.  Truly circumaural (I can fit my dumbos under it)
- Nice depth and soundstage.  Sounds like an open-back - breathy, open, and non-fatiguing -  without everyone around me thinking the same (closed back isolation is a plus in my books).
- Very pleasant, balanced mids. 
- Fast. 
- Extremely clear highs.
- Decent bass detail.
- Super-dee-duper-ly easy to power.

What would make it better (in my books):

- More low and sub bass without sacrificing punch and articulation.
- A little less on the crystal-shattering highs.
- A tiny bit more low-mid purr and mid-range syrupy sweetness.

Is there anything out there that can satisfy all of these positives plus my additional requests?

If so, can it be done for under $800? 

Also, does anyone think that the sibilance and recessed lows were do to my amp pairing.  I was running 16/48 from a downsampled 24/96 flac via USB into the 6S.MKii [OPA627].  I've noticed that running via optical toslink is far more open and analytical but it doesn't improve the bass and sub-bass depth (a welcome change for my M50s but a bit chilly and boogieless on the T70p). 

Does anybody have any experience with the ATH-W5000?  The Buyer's Guide says the lows are "punchy and accurate without overextending" however other reviewers have found the bass lacking and recommend it for music favouring 250kHz+up.  On the Audio Technica website someone suggests the ATH-W1000x for anyone looking for a more balanced sound (than the W5000).  Can anyone comment on this?  I only mention AT because I am somewhat familiar and fond with the sound having had M50s.

Are there any other good options?  Please let me know. 

Thanks for your consideration.

Best,

- B

Apr 9, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #27,088 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
used denon d5000, maybe a lawton set used if you can find one.

Thanks for the replies. Funny thing is, that is what I told myself originally to get last summer when all of this stuff hit me (when I started to get into all of this). Then it got discontinued and I just gave up and looked elsewhere.

What about their new lineup?

Any other recommendations?

Their new line-up is already in the clearance bin.  It is quite different than the "D's" and no longer made by Fostex.  With it new line, Denon more or less opted for high priced lifestyle cans.

Apr 9, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #27,089 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi everybody,

Today I was listening to a Beyer T70P through my Leckerton UHA-6S.MKii and I really liked it...but...there were a couple of things that could make it perfect. 

First of all what I liked about it:

- Very comfortable.  Truly circumaural (I can fit my dumbos under it)
- Nice depth and soundstage.  Sounds like an open-back - breathy, open, and non-fatiguing -  without everyone around me thinking the same (closed back isolation is a plus in my books).
- Very pleasant, balanced mids. 
- Fast. 
- Extremely clear highs.
- Decent bass detail.
- Super-dee-duper-ly easy to power.

What would make it better (in my books):

- More low and sub bass without sacrificing punch and articulation.
- A little less on the crystal-shattering highs.
- A tiny bit more punch and sweetness in low-mid/mid range.

Is there anything out there that can satisfy all of these positives plus my additional requests?

If so, can it be done for under $800? 

Does anybody have any experience with the ATH-W5000?  The Buyer's Guide says the lows are "punchy and accurate without overextending" however other reviewers have found the bass lacking and recommend it for music favouring 250kHz+up.  On the Audio Technica website someone suggests the ATH-W1000x for anyone looking for a more balanced sound (than the W5000).  Can anyone comment on this?  I only mention AT because I am somewhat familiar and fond with the sound having had M50s.

Are there any other good options?  Please let me know.

Thanks for your consideration.

Best,

- B

The W5000 has been panned by both Tyll and here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12#user_ATHW5000

Don't pay $800 (or anything near it) for a can as colored as the something like the M50.  Get the neutral HE 500 or pay a little more and get the darker LCD-2.  In either case you'll need an amp with a decent amount of power.  Pay less and get the HD 650.

Apr 9, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #27,090 of 29,490
Bumping this one because there's already 4 pages gone :)

Thanks for the help

Quote:
Hello all,

I'm looking for advice to buy a good (for me) pair of headphones.

Here are the requirements :

I mostly listen to dance/electronic music, so I need GOOD bass (no rap and hip/hop).

I prefer to have a closed design since I will be using it in planes and noisy environments.

I have an in ear denon C751 and I like it a lot, if it can help, I tried an AKG 518 DJ LE and it was quite good for me despite not being closed and "foldable".

The "full size" or "portable" is not really important, I can carry both...so I have posted this request in both threads :)

Regarding the price of course the lower the better, I don't care AT ALL about the brand, the color, the design, it's to listen to music, not to express my personallity to others (so i guess the beats are disqualified already :) )

Thanks a lot for the help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back