++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 8, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #27,046 of 29,490
Guys.. im looking for 2 headphones.

The first, will be just for music, so i need a good isolation, mids clear and defined, and a strong bass. 

I thought the M50, but they are very balanced for that, no?

Budget: $100 - $120

And the other one for movies, for this one, i want a good reproduction of special effects, explosions, and all other details.

Budget: $100 - $150

Thanks a lot for any help :)

Apr 8, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #27,047 of 29,490
i havnt heard these before, how do they compare to akg/hifiman/maddogs in terms of accuracy? are those headphones for playback more than clarity?

Idk anything about that but the 7520s are studio monitors, so they should be more than satisfactory. The mad dogs are getting great reviews, and are said to sound extremely similar to the LCD 2s. The q701s should be a little bass light.

Apr 8, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #27,048 of 29,490
Quote:
What is your budget?

Anywhere up to £150 GBP (Great British Pounds)

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

No; I want closed cans for sure

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

I will be using them on my computer with a Xonar DG sound card

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

320kbps MP3s and FLACs in the future

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?
If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

I listen mainly to EDM, rap, hip-hop, R&B, dubstep etc. but I do listen to stuff like pop, rock, Kpop and acoustic every now and again

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

No, I want headphones that are preferably circumaural and are generally described as being suitable for longer listening sessions, hence I'd expect heavier/bigger headphones that wouldn't be very practical for using outdoors, but I guess it couldn't hurt if they'd work with my Nexus 4 phone :)

M-audio Q40's but you will need to replace the pads (beyer pads, Hifiman pads and Shure 840 pads all sounds good in different ways).

These are great phones for what you're listening to.

Apr 8, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #27,049 of 29,490
Quote:
Oh and what portable amp would be best for these?

I'd say for under $100 the C&C BH or the Fiio e7k. The BH will have the better amp of the two but the Fiio also has a nice little DAC built in so if you ever listen through your computer you can have a higher quality signal.

Quote:
U are amazing!

I prefer the sense of scale that open backs give me... How different are the sound stages between these?

LOL thanks.

The DT990/250 Pro (not premium version) is the can for you. The sound stages are very similar which isn't a knock on the 990's but more of a tribute to the 770's. But overall the DT990's are the superior can to me. 

All in all $300 or less can get you an amazing set up that will last you quite a while. 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Apr 8, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #27,050 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Sony MDR-7520.

i havnt heard these before, how do they compare to akg/hifiman/maddogs in terms of accuracy? are those headphones for playback more than clarity?

Great studio cans is what Sony has been doing for decades.  The 7520 is the best of these that I have heard.  The less expensive MDR-
CD900ST is excellent as well.

First the Sony is a closed can with excellent isolation, which sets it apart from the others you referenced.  The HE 400 is a colored can and not a great choice for studio work.  The K-701 is bass light.  Neither it nor the Mad Dog has a frequency response that extends as far in a usable fashion for studio work as does the Sony.  If you want an open can that is at the same level (maybe a touch better), you are talking the HE 500.

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #27,052 of 29,490
Look, the HE-5LE is more neutral and technically superior to the HE-500. It sets you back $600. Then, I would purchase an Audio-GD NFB-10.32 for $600. That gives you a completely balanced rig for 1.2k that will sound outstanding.
Quote:
Hey there,

I am a new head-fier that trying to find a proper headphone for me -for 3 months I am doing research- at this point. I need your advices before I go mad. Please help me.

I am listening classical, jazz and acoustic music mostly. Female vocals have a giant emphasize. I've spent lots of time as musician and also I am familiar with sound systems so imho, you should not consider me as a beginner.

In this 3 months that i am researching mostly, i decided that the headphone that i am looking for should have these properties:

+ it should be Open-back, isolation is not an issue, comfort is not an issue, looking is not an issue. Only thing that matters is sound quality.
+ DETAIL DETAIL AND DETAIL.
+ Soundstage should be wide enough that i can easly seperate every single insturment on orchestra.
+ low end and also lower mid area should be well-refined because I don't want it to splash/shade middle/upper mid area.
+ mid and upper mids are crucial. It should be natural.
+ highs should be at front. But of course, I do not prefer them THAT piercing.
+ Headphone should be fast enough to catch faster partitions of music.
+ acoustic guitars are extremely important so "being natural" for this particular headphone is a very important issue.

I can widen these properties if it's requested.

Up to now, I studied almost every headphone in market but not listened them. I have experience on koss portapros (cramer modded, more than 5000 hours on them) , ath m50 (more than 200 hours on them), koss sportapros (not modded less than 50 hours), sennheiser cx400 II (less than 100 hours, and I hated them)

And so far, I half decided on akg k70x/q701 that I will go balanced with audio-gd nfb 10.32.
Btw, I will use my headphones on desktop via pc only. Portability is not an issue.

My budget is 1000-1200 $ everything included.

hd600 is another option but i fear they are not fast and detailed enough for my taste.
dt880 is also an another option but again, i fear they are upper-mid recessed and too sharp on highs.

hifiman he 500 seems also good, especially if we consider my amp preference for akg's. We know that planars need lots of current to shine. But the thing is they are pretty expensive if we consider my 1000-1200 $ budget for everything included.

Please help me, i need experienced head-fiers to answer.
With my best regards,
Baris.

Come on guys I need your help.

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #27,053 of 29,490
Quote:
heya, i have a friend who is putting together an album and needs a pair of headphones for editing. he doesnt care about how good they sound for playback, he just wants them to be as accurate and revealing as possible in the $300-500 range. im not sure what to recommend, as i have never really looked for this in a headphone before, does anyone have some recommendations?  ive heard mixed things about the he-400 and the k-701 in this context....

SRH940 very clear and revealing.

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #27,054 of 29,490
Quote:
M-audio Q40's but you will need to replace the pads (beyer pads, Hifiman pads and Shure 840 pads all sounds good in different ways).

These are great phones for what you're listening to.

Had these as well with the Beyer pads, even after I stretched them they were really clampy on my jaw. Loved them otherwise though.

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #27,055 of 29,490
Quote:
Guys.. im looking for 2 headphones.

The first, will be just for music, so i need a good isolation, mids clear and defined, and a strong bass. 

I thought the M50, but they are very balanced for that, no?

Budget: $100 - $120

And the other one for movies, for this one, i want a good reproduction of special effects, explosions, and all other details.

Budget: $100 - $150

Thanks a lot for any help :)

NO M50's!! NO!! :) J/K solid cans but you can do better than that. 

I want to say the Dt990 Pro's for both but they do have slightly recessed mids. Still great detail but they do have more of a V shaped sound. Personally I loved them for movies. Not only do they sound good but are some of if not the most comfy cans I've ever worn.You can get them new or used for close to $150 so that would save money for a nice little amp to push things around just right. And if you want/need a little pair for hauling around you could always go for the HA-S500's for $40 plus shipping from Japan. They give you everything you need and keep you well under budget.

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #27,056 of 29,490
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a headphone, hopefully under $150, that is very similar to the AKG K240, but with less mid-bass bloat and bleed.
I'm looking for a non-open design, most likely closed is my best option, but a semi-open with pretty good isolation would work too.

The K240's Semi-open let in a little too much noise for my taste. Noise leak is not a problem.

Basically, something with accurate treble representation, maybe a little on the bright side, and no major roll-off, as well as a slightly boosted bass region, with no bloat.

I'm going to be using these with my electronic drum kit, and the K240's did pretty good except the mid-bass bloat and lack of isolation. I generally look for a accurate portrayal of treble (hi-hats and such) and the bass drum. Sound-stage isn't a big deal either.

I was looking at the T20/40/50RP, as it seems they have a somewhat flat response.

Apr 8, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #27,057 of 29,490
Quote:
does anyone know a closed back portable can, that can render a classical orchestra in front of the listener? in open cans the hd598 does that very impressively and for closed cans the srh940 is able to do that, but it is not portable by any means.

Ortofon O-one.  I walk with it, but others may not consider it portable.

Apr 8, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #27,058 of 29,490
I'm looking for a pair of headphones with no budget at all.

Music: dubstep, house, rock, some pop
Environment: school bus, noisy home, outdoors.
Will be powered by my iPhone 4S, also looking for a good amp+DAC combo to go with headphones.

I am a total bass head but can appreciate good mids and highs.

What can you guys come up with?

Apr 8, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #27,059 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
heya, i have a friend who is putting together an album and needs a pair of headphones for editing. he doesnt care about how good they sound for playback, he just wants them to be as accurate and revealing as possible in the $300-500 range. im not sure what to recommend, as i have never really looked for this in a headphone before, does anyone have some recommendations?  ive heard mixed things about the he-400 and the k-701 in this context....

SRH940 very clear and revealing.

A very good can, but lacks the bass of the 7520.

Apr 8, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #27,060 of 29,490
Quote:
Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Yes i am ok if they are open since i won't be using them outside

i will be using my phone and my computer but i dont mind buying an amp if needed

my music is consisted of mostly 320kbs and some FLAC files

Looking for a 'balanced' sound but with a good midrange

I will be listening to Electronic (dubstep, drum and bass, house, electro), and occasionally some hip-hop. 

No, i dont think i will ever use them outside. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back