++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 6, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #26,971 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey, new here and looking for some advice on what to get.

First, these headphones are going to be used with my desktop only. Any other uses will be quite rare and not worth taking into consideration. They will be used for everything I do on my computer, but the main focus is music.
As for the music I listen pretty much equally to power metal, anime music and soundtracks, and I guess J-rock. Not sure if the J-rock is the most fitting term, but samples of the music would be anything by Asian Kung-Fu Generation(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmeudwRMrsU) .

The next big thing is isolation. These are going to be used in a dorm so I'd like some isolation, but maybe not to the point where all I hear is my headphones. Letting a little sound leak in so I can be aware of what is going on around me or if people are talking to me would be nice. 

Based on the above and that I'd like to stay around $80 or below I came up with the Sony MDR-V6 and the Superlux HD668B. What do you guys think? If there is something that you guys would recommend that fits the bill I'd love to hear it.

Perhaps the AKG K240's? You might need an amp tho...

Apr 6, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #26,972 of 29,490
Quote:
MDR-1r :3 if you're looking for comfort. 

Comfort definitely important, but I guess that's kinda relative and hard to judge. I have a fairly large head. Listening to mostly edm, but my everyday listening still contains a bit of everything. I like the look of those MDR's, but i'd imagine most full size are going to be more comfy than the onears im used to.

Apr 6, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #26,974 of 29,490
Quote:
The two cans he listed are relatively neutral--and either one is a good choice in this price class.  I would probably go with the CAL! over both of these, unless durability is a factor.

Aren't the Uptowns a bit bass heavy?

A little bit more bass than neutral is just fine with me, as long as it's well controlled. I just don't want a fatiguing treble boost.

Apr 6, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #26,976 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Hey, new here and looking for some advice on what to get.

First, these headphones are going to be used with my desktop only. Any other uses will be quite rare and not worth taking into consideration. They will be used for everything I do on my computer, but the main focus is music.
As for the music I listen pretty much equally to power metal, anime music and soundtracks, and I guess J-rock. Not sure if the J-rock is the most fitting term, but samples of the music would be anything by Asian Kung-Fu Generation(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmeudwRMrsU) .

The next big thing is isolation. These are going to be used in a dorm so I'd like some isolation, but maybe not to the point where all I hear is my headphones. Letting a little sound leak in so I can be aware of what is going on around me or if people are talking to me would be nice. 

Based on the above and that I'd like to stay around $80 or below I came up with the Sony MDR-V6 and the Superlux HD668B. What do you guys think? If there is something that you guys would recommend that fits the bill I'd love to hear it.

The 240's are semi-open and don't isolate well.

Apr 6, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #26,977 of 29,490
Quote:

Well he did say "These are going to be used in a dorm so I'd like some isolation, but maybe not to the point where all I hear is my headphones. Letting a little sound leak in so I can be aware of what is going on around me or if people are talking to me would be nice".

I don't think he wanted complete isolation. The K240's isolate some, but at the same time it is possible to hear people talking to you through the 240's. That is assuming he doesn't turn the volume up to a point where it no longer matters.

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #26,978 of 29,490
Quote:
Comfort definitely important, but I guess that's kinda relative and hard to judge. I have a fairly large head. Listening to mostly edm, but my everyday listening still contains a bit of everything. I like the look of those MDR's, but i'd imagine most full size are going to be more comfy than the onears im used to.

try the mdr-1r thread, they posted measurement pictures somewhere in there. Hope it helps. Is the edm rather fast? People have said that it's a rather relaxed and laid back can. 

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #26,979 of 29,490
Quote:

Since I was staying in the lower price range I was hoping for just headphones, so I have not looked into amps much. Supposing I did go your route what kind of amp would you recommend?

Quote:
Well he did say "These are going to be used in a dorm so I'd like some isolation, but maybe not to the point where all I hear is my headphones. Letting a little sound leak in so I can be aware of what is going on around me or if people are talking to me would be nice".

I don't think he wanted complete isolation. The K240's isolate some, but at the same time it is possible to hear people talking to you through the 240's. That is assuming he doesn't turn the volume up to a point where it no longer matters.

For a more isolated pair would the V6 be a good pick? Could you describe how much this pair would leak? I could never find clear descriptions so at an average volume might you be able to give an approximation of how far it leaks? Sorry if I'm being a little picky but I really appreciate all the help.

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #26,980 of 29,490
Quote:
For a more isolated pair would the V6 be a good pick? Could you describe how much this pair would leak? I could never find clear descriptions so at an average volume might you be able to give an approximation of how far it leaks? Sorry if I'm being a little picky but I really appreciate all the help.

I don't know what the 'best' amp for the K240 is tbh... this is were you should do your fair share of researching.

And yeah the V6 would be a better choice for isolation.

In any case, if you were to listen to the 240's in a library setting, IIRC, I think you might be able to get it to that "average level" w/o bothering the person too much from you that is if were are talking similar levels of volume.

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #26,981 of 29,490
I'm currently using the Beyerdynamic T1 with a custom Woo Audio amp (equivilant to WA2) and a Anedio D2 dac. Love the sound but was wondering if there are other headphones which have all the positives (detail, balanced sound, good dynamic range etc) of the T1s but with a narrower soundstage i.e. feeling closer to the singer. I've heard the The LCD 2 is darker with heavier bass and HD800 has an even wider soundstage.

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #26,982 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

It isolates very poorly for a headphone and even very poorly for one of semi-open design.

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #26,983 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

I don't know what the 'best' amp for the K240 is tbh... this is were you should do your fair share of researching.

And yeah the V6 would be a better choice for isolation.

In any case, if you were to listen to the 240's in a library setting, IIRC, I think you might be able to get it to that "average level" w/o bothering the person too much from you that is if were are talking similar levels of volume.

One thing that's very good about the 240 (especially for a can in its price class) is that it scales up with better amps.  It does need an amp, but that amp does not have to be very powerful.  The 240 is just a touch too inefficient to use straight out of a portable device and most computers with just on board sound.

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #26,984 of 29,490
I am looking for a new pair of cans, I have a budget on around $300 without shipping cost. Mostly I am listening to EDM but I am also a fan of acoustic tunes. I currently own a pair of M50's, a pair of CAL!'s and a pair of Q40's. I would say that I like listening to the acoustic tunes in my M50's and EDM in my Q40's. The main workload for my CAL!'s are movies. I don't know if you need to know anything else to recommend me some cans, but ask and you will be answered. 

I have also a kind of a sub question about DAC. I am waiting for my amp to be shipped over here, it's a O2 Amp from JDS. What's a suitable DAC for this Amp? I know about ODac but is there anything else in the same price range that preforms better?

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #26,985 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm currently using the Beyerdynamic T1 with a custom Woo Audio amp (equivilant to WA2) and a Anedio D2 dac. Love the sound but was wondering if there are other headphones which have all the positives (detail, balanced sound, good dynamic range etc) of the T1s but with a narrower soundstage i.e. feeling closer to the singer. I've heard the The LCD 2 is darker with heavier bass and HD800 has an even wider soundstage.

Very few cans have a soundstage as large as the T1.  The HD 800 and out of production K 1000 are the only cans I have heard with a bigger sound stage than the T1.  The LCD 2, HFiMan HE 500, 5LE & 6 all have smaller sound stages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back