++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 29, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #26,686 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Check out the Grado SR 225i and the Audio-Technica ATH-AD900 & 900X.

Thanks for the reply. 

I searched for all of those headphones online and read some reviews/impressions. The ATH-AD900X seem to be what i may be looking for, and for exactly 216$ on amazon, the price is just at my budget. Thanks for your recommendations.

I prefer around the ear headphones, and i like flat sound signatures. So the Grado's wont be considered.

However, the AD900X's seem like they have pronounced treble... do they get sibilant? Or is the treble not that harsh while being detailed and bright?

I was looking around and found that the best sound for that price range are the AKG Q701, but sadly, i don't have an amp nor have the budget for one, so they have to be ignored.

Once again, thank you for the recommendation.

I have only the older 900's and they are not sibilant.

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #26,687 of 29,490

Quote:
The Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro Headphones (250 Ohm)--but you'll need an amp if your sound card does not include one.

Quote:
 grado still is the  best for the price since your avatar say so. SR225 or 325 no need for amp. classy, your music genre suits to it. Or beyer DT880, 600ohms, this needs amp. or you can go further. senn HD650.

Hmmm. Two people suggesting the same 'phone? This DT880 interests me...  What amp would you guys suggest to go with it and what's the difference between the 250 Ohm and the 600 Ohm versions?

And how do the Grados compare to the DT880?

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #26,688 of 29,490
The ad900x's are not sibilant either.

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #26,690 of 29,490
Quote:
What is your budget?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

$300~400, i'm using an Asus Xonar Essence STX (don't have AMP/DAC :/). I listen to 320 kbps and some FLAC files. Music: most Metal and Rock, but some electronic music too. I prefer closed-back, but some friends say open-back are better, as i will use it indoors could be any. Sorry for my bad english, hope you understand ;]

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #26,691 of 29,490
Hey everyone:

I'm looking for the absolute best sound that I can get for under 100$. over ear, in ear, whatever-ear doesn't matter to me as look as two things are present: bass, and music quality that makes even non-audiophiles go "Wow". I just came from xb500s which I have outgrown (they broke, i rebought them and realized that im ready to try something new so i returned them).

At first I would have said "no in ear" but honestly if it sounds good then bring it on, just like I said, bass bass bass.

oh and no other extra equipment like amps etc...i use this on my laptop for music, youtube videos, more music, and then iphone for music.

JVC HA-S500

Mar 30, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #26,692 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
The Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro Headphones (250 Ohm)--but you'll need an amp if your sound card does not include one.

Quote:
 grado still is the  best for the price since your avatar say so. SR225 or 325 no need for amp. classy, your music genre suits to it. Or beyer DT880, 600ohms, this needs amp. or you can go further. senn HD650.

Hmmm. Two people suggesting the same 'phone? This DT880 interests me...  What amp would you guys suggest to go with it and what's the difference between the 250 Ohm and the 600 Ohm versions?

And how do the Grados compare to the DT880?

The 225 is generally considered the sweet spot in the Grado SR line.  That line has the classic Grado house "wall of sound".  It's colored and forward.  There are many places on the web where you can read about it, but the best method is to put on a Grado SR line can and listen to rock or electric blues.

Do want a portable or desktop amp?  In any case stay away from bright amps with the DT 880.

The 600 Ohm version is a step better than the 250 Ohm, but also a step harder to drive.  Concerning the 600 Ohm version see:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12#user_DT880

Mar 30, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #26,694 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
What is your budget?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

$300~400, i'm using an Asus Xonar Essence STX (don't have AMP/DAC :/). I listen to 320 kbps and some FLAC files. Music: most Metal and Rock, but some electronic music too. I prefer closed-back, but some friends say open-back are better, as i will use it indoors could be any. Sorry for my bad english, hope you understand ;]

OK that helps, but you still haven't stated the sound signature you are seeking.  Maybe you should examine the buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread.  The guides will, in turn, link you to reviews of the cans listed in the guides.  After doing that, you can tell us which cans (which hopefully that available to you for purchase from/in your country) best fit the sound signature you want--and explain why.

Mar 30, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #26,696 of 29,490
Quote:
The 225 is generally considered the sweet spot in the Grado SR line.  That line has the classic Grado house "wall of sound".  It's colored and forward.  There are many places on the web where you can read about it, but the best method is to put on a Grado SR line can and listen to rock or electric blues.

Do want a portable or desktop amp?  In any case stay away from bright amps with the DT 880.

The 600 Ohm version is a step better than the 250 Ohm, but also a step harder to drive.  Concerning the 600 Ohm version see:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12#user_DT880

Since most (if not all) of my listening would be at home, a portable amp would likely not be needed... I did a tiny bit of research and stumbled upon the Objective2. (Open source is always cool) How well would that pair with the DT880s? (particularly the 600Ohm version)

The Grados sound like  fun 'phones, but for now at least, I'd prefer to keep to something which would be a bit better all around.

Mar 30, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #26,697 of 29,490
Quote:
I would recommend the next headphone in the line the AD900 as they go for very cheap now. They're an improvement in all aspects of the AD700 especially the bass and they're also smaller and much lighter. You can also replace the pads of your AD700 or if you get the AD900 with the W5000 leather pads as it improves the bass trememdously. The only problems I have with the AD900 is that the drivers aren't angled so they touch your ear (It takes some use to forget it) and they're styling is very minimal, quite utilitarian actually

For the soundcard and DAC/Amp I would recommend using a Behringer UCA-202 or 222 interface control instead of a soundcard or DAC as theres a RCA analog output on it and it connects to the computer via usb. For the amp I would recommend getting one from audio-technica as they were designed to use with these headphones, any of them would be an excellent compliment to the headphones.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/996daf096c12ea16/index.html

or

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/e447e8b9e20fd636/index.html

And any specific amp recommendations?

and would the m50 be better?

Mar 30, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #26,698 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Since most (if not all) of my listening would be at home, a portable amp would likely not be needed... I did a tiny bit of research and stumbled upon the Objective2. (Open source is always cool) How well would that pair with the DT880s? (particularly the 600Ohm version)

The Grados sound like  fun 'phones, but for now at least, I'd prefer to keep to something which would be a bit better all around.

Have not heard the O2 paired with the DT 880 600 Ohm, but know that the O2 will drive them.

You might want to ask how they work together on the DT 880 appreciation thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/150152/the-dt880-appreciation-thread

Mar 30, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #26,699 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
I would recommend the next headphone in the line the AD900 as they go for very cheap now. They're an improvement in all aspects of the AD700 especially the bass and they're also smaller and much lighter. You can also replace the pads of your AD700 or if you get the AD900 with the W5000 leather pads as it improves the bass trememdously. The only problems I have with the AD900 is that the drivers aren't angled so they touch your ear (It takes some use to forget it) and they're styling is very minimal, quite utilitarian actually

For the soundcard and DAC/Amp I would recommend using a Behringer UCA-202 or 222 interface control instead of a soundcard or DAC as theres a RCA analog output on it and it connects to the computer via usb. For the amp I would recommend getting one from audio-technica as they were designed to use with these headphones, any of them would be an excellent compliment to the headphones.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/996daf096c12ea16/index.html

or

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/e447e8b9e20fd636/index.html

And any specific amp recommendations?

and would the m50 be better?

The M50 has recessed mids.  The AD900 does everything better than the M50, especially sound stage, except the M50 has more bass.  The M50 is just a step away from being a basshead lite can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back