++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 27, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #26,581 of 29,490
When you are new and posting a question, it helps to not post a "wall of text". Keep it simple, use rudimentary punctuation, and ask direct questions. Separate your thoughts with a a double space (aka paragraph break). Just some tips go get noticed and not passed over... IMO. 

Also. Never use a big word, when a diminutive one will do. 

tongue.gif

Mar 27, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #26,582 of 29,490
Lately I'm having difficulty with my AKG Q315 so i decided that that's my chance to buy new pair of IEM.

*I loved my Q's but its time for higher level of SQ.

My budget includes 450$ for IEM (not including DAC or AMP or player).

I'm not an audiophile but not an average consumer - in between (I just like to listen to music in HQ)

The genres i mostly hear are: Chillstep (with female voice), Drum n Bass, Rock, Alt Rock, Pop (not much), Metal (no often), Blues, Jazz, Dance (club music - EDM), Rap, Hip hop, Dubstep...

I like Bass kicks/punches but I like detailed and good high instrumentals as well (and female voice) so I don't want the bass or the highs to "ruing each other".

*I'm using HTC ONE X as my player.

Thanks for all advisers 

Mar 27, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #26,583 of 29,490
"When you are new and posting a question, it helps to not post a "wall of text". Keep it simple, use rudimentary punctuation, and ask direct questions. Separate your thoughts with a a double space (aka paragraph break). Just some tips go get noticed and not passed over... IMO. 

Edited by bareyb - Today at 3:52 pm"

Are you referring to my original post? I thought it seemed relatively short and to the point. I'd be happy to rewrite it if you think it might get someone to offer me some useful advice.

Mar 27, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #26,584 of 29,490
Quote:
"When you are new and posting a question, it helps to not post a "wall of text". Keep it simple, use rudimentary punctuation, and ask direct questions. Separate your thoughts with a a double space (aka paragraph break). Just some tips go get noticed and not passed over... IMO. 

Edited by bareyb - Today at 3:52 pm"

Are you referring to my original post? I thought it seemed relatively short and to the point. I'd be happy to rewrite it if you think it might get someone to offer me some useful advice.

No, no, not at all. I wasn't referring to anyone in particular, just commenting on the types of posts that get passed over. 

Mar 27, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #26,585 of 29,490
Quote:
I want to buy a new pair of headphones.

I will be listening primarily to rock music and acoustic Americana music.

I will be listening primarily on my iphone 4S and laptop. Sometimes a turntable.

I would prefer if the cable had a built in mic for handling calls, but not a dealbreaker.

I want them to be over hear and closed back so as not to disturb others.

Mainly just listening stationary around the house, but work from home hence wanting the ability to take calls.

Don't need them to look flashy. Sound is most important.

I don't want to pay much more than $100.00.

I have been looking at the V-MODA Crossfade LP, Skullcandy Hesh 2.0, Shure SRH440 and the NOCS NS700 Phaser.

So much conflicting information on the net. I'd appreciate some input.

The Sony DR ZX701IP.

Mar 27, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #26,587 of 29,490
Quote:
Lately I'm having difficulty with my AKG Q315 so i decided that that's my chance to buy new pair of IEM.

*I loved my Q's but its time for higher level of SQ.

My budget includes 450$ for IEM (not including DAC or AMP or player).

I'm not an audiophile but not an average consumer - in between (I just like to listen to music in HQ)

The genres i mostly hear are: Chillstep (with female voice), Drum n Bass, Rock, Alt Rock, Pop (not much), Metal (no often), Blues, Jazz, Dance (club music - EDM), Rap, Hip hop, Dubstep...

I like Bass kicks/punches but I like detailed and good high instrumentals as well (and female voice) so I don't want the bass or the highs to "ruing each other".

*I'm using HTC ONE X as my player.

Thanks for all advisers 

This thread is for full sized headphone recommendations.  The IEM/portable forum section has its own recommendation thread for you question.

Mar 27, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #26,588 of 29,490
Quote:

I already posted a thread about this, but it's more fitting here:

I'm looking for a mid-to-high end bluetooth open designed headphone with a built in mic.  I want it new.  It is for connecting to my PC, PS3, PS Vita, future Smart TVs that support bluetooth pairing, and future game systems I'll get like the PS4.  I'm not too versed with acoustics and sound waves and what not, but I know open designed headphones can give a "deeper" experience.  That's about all I know of sound design/engineering.  So I'm hoping someone can show me the right headphones to choose from that will benefit me.  I say the number one factor in what headphone I want to get is wireless bluetooth and it's best quality.  Then would be actual sound quality.  Then would be nice features like an optional audio cord to say connect to my 3DS.

I hope someone helps!

And you want this with NFC and you want it all for no more than $150. The answer is there is nothing. Raise your cost dramatically or lower your features dramatically. Think about taking away BT in general because it compromises your audio quality greatly, especially on lower end cans, which at $150, that's all you'd be looking at.

Mar 27, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #26,589 of 29,490
I have a second request:

I want bluetooth headphones for my Vita.  Preferably an NFC chip in them too for phones with NFC.  Nothing too expensive, somewhere I'd say at a $150 max.  Basically I play games and would listen to music / streaming video on my phone.  Something that looks sleek, as well.

The music I listen to is electronic and some hip hop.

Thank You.

If you want to be any kind of competitive, skip the Bluetooth. It lags. Seriously, I don't even use a ps3 wireless controller, my psx controller w/USB adapter has better analog sticks and a much more immediate response. and nfc + quality sound + >$150 isn't going to happen. You are looking at $400 or more and every one I've seen has been closed

Mar 27, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #26,590 of 29,490
Which open cans would you recommend? I'll be using these at home either way, so isolation isn't really necessary. I just prefer to be in my own little world, if you wanna think of it that way haha. Either way, I am planning on heading to guitar center tomorrow to try out a few headphones including the DT770 80s and M50s. I'll also check out some open cans if there are any.

Ma900
HD598/hd558
SR225i

The dt770s are pretty good. Its definitely one of the better closed cans. They are bass monsters when properly amped, great for electronic music, and have a great sound stage. Many people think the ATH A900x is superior though. Ma900x should be great for vocals and acoustics.

Mar 27, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #26,593 of 29,490
Audio Technica WS99 - Have not heard

Audio Technica A900x - Personally did not like due to comfort reasons, but good soundstage for a closed headphone and plays well with vocals
Sony MDR MA900 - Have not heard

Sennheiser HD598 - Fantastic vocals and soundstage, won't have the kicking bass you're looking for though

V-Moda M80 - Very good headphone that was unfortunately marred for me by being on-ear and clampy

V-Moda M100 - A step back from the sound signature of the M80 imo, did not like R&B much on these headphones

Philips Fidelio L1 - Have not heard

Best of luck.

Thanks!

How good are the m80s in comparison to the others for rock and r&b? If you our any one has heard the mdr 1rs, please compare.

I really really want the hd598s! It seems like they don't complement with my music if choice though :frowning2:

Also you referred to most, of the cans that you talked about in, in past tense. Have You sold them?

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #26,594 of 29,490
Hello! I'm relatively new here, so I thought I'd make the jump into the forums here and ask what people think I should get. For the past 2 years, I've owned the HD 280 Pros. Thank to these, I've been able to produce music much better then I could before. Now, though, I'm looking for something more. After spending a long time analyzing them, I've realized they have a muddy midbass/lowmids, and have weak higher mids. After spending some time EQing (down between 220 and 622 hz, up between 1.8 and 7 khz), they now sound way better. I can definitely see how much better my sound could be if I upgraded.

I would like some headphones that are neutral for my price range ($200 to $250 max), do not really need an amp (or only improve by say 10% at most with one), are able to play classical, rock, soundtrack (especially the video game type!), and as many types of electronic music as possible. I produce dubstep, house, etc., so that last part is very important.

Now then, that last one seems to throw people off, because I do not look for what most people look for when it comes to playing EDM well. I am not a bass head. I often listen to music through my laptop speakers, which don't even play anything below 100 hz, and are very rolled off in the lower end.  I am also not a treble head, so please aim for something more neutral in your suggestion.

So, with my budget, and strange taste in Frequency Response for EDM, I was very much considering the HD 598s. They seem to fit my need for bass (in fact, they look like they have way too much), my need for good mids, and being relatively laid back. Would anyone suggest otherwise? And if you do believe there is something better for me, what would it be? Thank you for your time.

edit: I left some stuff off it seems. I would love it if these were comfortable, which is another big reason for the 598s. I also really want a big sound stage. I would like to have open headphones, please.

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #26,595 of 29,490
Hello! I'm relatively new here, so I thought I'd make the jump into the forums here and ask what people think I should get. For the past 2 years, I've owned the HD 280 Pros. Thank to these, I've been able to produce music much better then I could before. Now, though, I'm looking for something more. After spending a long time analyzing them, I've realized they have a muddy midbass/lowmids, and have weak higher mids. After spending some time EQing (down between 220 and 622 hz, up between 1.8 and 7 khz), they now sound way better. I can definitely see how much better my sound could be if I upgraded.

I would like some headphones that are neutral for my price range ($200 to $250 max), do not really need an amp (or only improve by say 10% at most with one), are able to play classical, rock, soundtrack (especially the video game type!), and as many types of electronic music as possible. I produce dubstep, house, etc., so that last part is very important.

Now then, that last one seems to throw people off, because I do not look for what most people look for when it comes to playing EDM well. I am not a bass head. I often listen to music through my laptop speakers, which don't even play anything below 100 hz, and are very rolled off in the lower end.  I am also not a treble head, so please aim for something more neutral in your suggestion.

So, with my budget, and strange taste in Frequency Response for EDM, I was very much considering the HD 598s. They seem to fit my need for bass (in fact, they look like they have way too much), my need for good mids, and being relatively laid back. Would anyone suggest otherwise? And if you do believe there is something better for me, what would it be? Thank you for your time.

Likes neutral, knows how to use an eq, needs studio headphones? Fostex t50rp, in either stock or Mr speakers mad dog w/dog pads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back