++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 24, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #26,462 of 29,490
Quote:
Oh I'm VERY happy with them, that's why I want to hear and see more!
smily_headphones1.gif
I would simply like to have a second pair in a bit, and thought that it might be nice to try something else that might also work for my preferences, so I have more options. I like bass, yes, but a second pair doesn't have to be as heavy on bass, as long as its not disappointing in that area.
Thanks!
Thank you! I'll definitely look into these!

I wholeheartedly agree with your desire to another headphone... even if I'm enabling you and justifying myself. :wink: It's the best way to figure out what sort of "signature" you like best. I thought I loved my first HP... until I got my second. Each iteration helps me hone in more. It's part of the "hobby" for most people. Just make sure you get to the point that you're actually listening at some point. :wink:

Mar 24, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #26,463 of 29,490
The bass on the HE 500 is slightly better--but that may depend in part on which pads are used on the HE 400.

It was the mids of the HE 400 that were just a little funky for me vs. the HE 500 (and other cans).

Yeah, I found vocals and trumpets to sound weird on the HE 400's. Do you know how trumpets would sound on the HE 500's or LCD 2's? I want voices and brass instruments to have a natural life-like timbre.

Does the treble roll off on the LCD 2's make trumpets sound too smooth?

Mar 24, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #26,464 of 29,490
Quote:

I wholeheartedly agree with your desire to another headphone... even if I'm enabling you and justifying myself. :wink: It's the best way to figure out what sort of "signature" you like best. I thought I loved my first HP... until I got my second. Each iteration helps me hone in more. It's part of the "hobby" for most people. Just make sure you get to the point that you're actually listening at some point. :wink:

Isn't that the truth! Searching for the right Headphone can be an exhausting process. I often find myself listening to the GEAR and not the Music. 
tongue.gif

Mar 24, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #26,465 of 29,490
Quote:
Haven't heard the German Maistro, but the M50 and D5000 are not neutral headphones.  Once again, I suggest that you check out the buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread and use it as a starting point for your research.  Once you've IDed some neutral or neutral-ish cans that interest you come back and post again concerning what you like and why you like it.  This will help narrow things down and draw sharper focus on what you're looking for.

Thanks for the advice KG Jag. From my listening to the M50 in comparison to my AE1s, I could tell immediately that they were coloured, and not neutral. I have reviewed 9/10 of the buying guides. The reason I picked the German Maestro was because from all reports these seem to be neutral. Furthermore, the FR graphs of the D5000s seem show a mostly neutral response, but the ear tests show that they have some warmth. However, from what I can gather, this slight warmth is nothing like the bass enhancement or treble sparkle of the M50s, or for that matter, other colouring headphones. This is why I felt these two were my final choice models for neutral headphones. What I am looking for is a neutral response, with a deep sound stage. Crispness across the frequency range, and a true representation of the input signal, not a colouration. This is because I want to hear the music as it was intended, as the artist spent significant time crafting a certain sound, so why would I want to go and change the EQ on that? There are a number of factors that are going to be determined by price, such as open back, closed back, etc, but as somebody said in a previous post, it is the law of diminishing returns, and as such I don't wish to spend $800 on a pair of headphones when they are marginally better than a $400 pair, or even $200 pair as it seems to be with the Maestros. I can invest the savings in other audio gear that could produce a better overall sound that the marginal increase achieved by putting $400 more into a marginally better pair of headphones.

Mar 24, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #26,466 of 29,490
I was looking for the same thing recently, here's a review I found on another forum:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/accessories/708449-audio-technica-ath-ad900x-review.html

I have heard nothing but GREAT things about the AD900X. I know my budget for my current quest of premium home music headphones extends well beyond the price of the AD900X, but they are definitely on my list right next to the likes of the premium offerings from Audeze, HiFiMan, Beyerdynamic.

Mar 24, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #26,467 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Haven't heard the German Maistro, but the M50 and D5000 are not neutral headphones.  Once again, I suggest that you check out the buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread and use it as a starting point for your research.  Once you've IDed some neutral or neutral-ish cans that interest you come back and post again concerning what you like and why you like it.  This will help narrow things down and draw sharper focus on what you're looking for.

Thanks for the advice KG Jag. From my listening to the M50 in comparison to my AE1s, I could tell immediately that they were coloured, and not neutral. I have reviewed 9/10 of the buying guides. The reason I picked the German Maestro was because from all reports these seem to be neutral. Furthermore, the FR graphs of the D5000s seem show a mostly neutral response, but the ear tests show that they have some warmth. However, from what I can gather, this slight warmth is nothing like the bass enhancement or treble sparkle of the M50s, or for that matter, other colouring headphones. This is why I felt these two were my final choice models for neutral headphones. What I am looking for is a neutral response, with a deep sound stage. Crispness across the frequency range, and a true representation of the input signal, not a colouration. This is because I want to hear the music as it was intended, as the artist spent significant time crafting a certain sound, so why would I want to go and change the EQ on that? There are a number of factors that are going to be determined by price, such as open back, closed back, etc, but as somebody said in a previous post, it is the law of diminishing returns, and as such I don't wish to spend $800 on a pair of headphones when they are marginally better than a $400 pair, or even $200 pair as it seems to be with the Maestros. I can invest the savings in other audio gear that could produce a better overall sound that the marginal increase achieved by putting $400 more into a marginally better pair of headphones.

Get the DT 880 (+/-Pro) in the 250 or 600 Ohm versions.  If you have the money, get the 600 Ohm Premium version.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12#user_DT880

If you go above the DT 880, go straight to the HE-500.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12#user_HE500

I was looking at the German Maestro late this summer but backed off after reading some reviews and seeing no downward price flexibility on any of their models.  I think I did better getting the  Sony MDR-7520 & MDR-CD900ST.  However, I can't say for sure because I have not put any German Maestro can on my head.  There were none at the Austin Head-Fi meet earlier this month.  The Shure SRH 940 is also a can you should consider.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #26,468 of 29,490
Quote:

So aren't you talking about monitoring headphones more than consumer ones if that's the "signature" you want? /confused

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #26,469 of 29,490
Help me please, I'm looking for a gaming headphone/headSET under 100usd, I will use it for 75% competitive gaming (counter strike, cod4) and 25% music (latin jazz, classical), I have an Asus Xonar DG to power it. I don't have .flac albums or high quality sources, I just listen to JAZZRADIO.com or youtube (internet radio/youtube -> soundcard -> headphone/set).

I was thinking AuioTechinca AD700 with AntLion Modmic but some say that it is not good for music (harsh highs, weak bass), I used to have a Plantronics Gamecom 367, they where comfortable and had a clever design but the sound was distant and weak, the SteelSeries siberia v2 are nice except they lack the detail or imaging I need for gaming because the bass is overpowered.

After some research I think the best options are the Razer Carcharias or the Corsair Vengeance 1300 but I'm not sure because have never used them. I need something with good imaging and detail for gaming and a decent balanced sound for music listening, like the Sennheiser pc360 but under 100usd (I'm poor Q.Q), it can be a headphone or a headset and it has to be circumaural because I have a MASSIVE head and have to use them for hours.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #26,470 of 29,490
Quote:
Help me please, I'm looking for a gaming headphone/headSET under 100usd, I will use it for 75% competitive gaming (counter strike, cod4) and 25% music (latin jazz, classical), I have an Asus Xonar DG to power it. I don't have .flac albums or high quality sources, I just listen to JAZZRADIO.com or youtube (internet radio/youtube -> soundcard -> headphone/set).

I was thinking AuioTechinca AD700 with AntLion Modmic but some say that it is not good for music (harsh highs, weak bass), I used to have a Plantronics Gamecom 367, they where comfortable and had a clever design but the sound was distant and weak, the SteelSeries siberia v2 are nice except they lack the detail or imaging I need for gaming because the bass is overpowered.

After some research I think the best options are the Razer Carcharias or the Corsair Vengeance 1300 but I'm not sure because have never used them. I need something with good imaging and detail for gaming and a decent balanced sound for music listening, like the Sennheiser pc360 but under 100usd (I'm poor Q.Q), it can be a headphone or a headset and it has to be circumaural because I have a MASSIVE head and have to use them for hours.

check out the gaming guide on this site.  Avoid "gaming" headsets like the razer, they will suck for music.  
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-3-11-13-lcd2-entry-updated

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #26,471 of 29,490
Quote:
check out the gaming guide on this site.  Avoid "gaming" headsets like the razer, they will suck for music.  
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-3-11-13-lcd2-entry-updated

I have read that, the obvious choice would be the Skullcandy SLYR, but I want to have more choices, I thought maybe some of you have tested the Razer Carcharias, or a decent budget headphone that covers my needs. For example:

http://www.superlux.com.tw/productInfo.do?pdctid=b68d47f2-e73f-4b41-a277-373b693a6897&pdkid=79f32cdc-4589-4c4f-affe-d9cc63094efd&level=2&lv0=5

Does anyone knows something about these?

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #26,472 of 29,490
Quote:
I have heard nothing but GREAT things about the AD900X. I know my budget for my current quest of premium home music headphones extends well beyond the price of the AD900X, but they are definitely on my list right next to the likes of the premium offerings from Audeze, HiFiMan, Beyerdynamic.

Quote:
     Wow the notebook review was pretty intense and it covered a lot of thoughts I was having. Last month I bought the Vsonic Gr07 and recently bought the A900x I'm enjoying both of these HPs. I also recently signed up with MOG service to get the 320 KBPS which I think makes a nice difference. I have been reading this site a lot I'm intrigued by the Mad Dogs, and the HD 600/650's. Their are so many great reviews. I reading about source, amps/dacs and so on and on. But I can't help but think some of these HP and such are old news. The new stuff such as IPads, IPhones and Samsung 3 that can be used without Amps and such and the Mog and Sportify music service seems to be the way to go. So I'm just wondering if I go with the AD900x for an full size open phone will that addition add a lot to the music quality as compared to these other expensive options? Do I gain a lot by having A990x and AD900x for different purposes?

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #26,473 of 29,490
Im looking to buy a pair of headphones that sound amazing under $250.00. I had a pair of beats solo that sounded decent. But im looking for something louder and bigger. I mostly listen to rock and rap. Any info would be appreciated. Also just listening from a laptop and ipod also.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #26,474 of 29,490
Im looking to buy a pair of headphones that sound amazing under $250.00. I had a pair of beats solo that sounded decent. But im looking for something louder and bigger. I mostly listen to rock and rap. Any info would be appreciated. Also just listening from a laptop and ipod also.

Portable?
For portable use id say maybe:

Custom one pro
Ue6000
M80
Akg k167 tiesto
Ath ws99
Hfi580/780

Non-portable:
Fidelio l1
Ath a900x
DT770 pro 80