++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 20, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #26,327 of 29,490
Quote:
All i can think of are the ma900s, dt880s, sr225i/325i (on ear, but you should consider)
Ive heard abunch about the k701 but they must be driven correctly.  The Philips Fidelio X1 should also be considered.]

Just saying, you should try to make your posts a little shorter if you want someone to actually read it.  I kinda skimmed over it.

I'd like to avoid Grados as a whole; they're simply not clean or well-rounded enough. I've never understood why they were recommended for rock. Every rock track I throw at them turns into an unintelligible mess. 

K701 aren't anywhere near as tough to drive as most people would suggest. I had zero issue running them out of a little O2. They do fit well with my tastes and my music, but I feel that owning both them and the AD900 would be a bit redundant. Still a possibility, though I'd probably end up going with the Q701 or the K702 65th if I went that way. 

As for shortening my post...well...no. It's less than a book's page to read, so if someone can't take a whole minute or two to read it, then frankly, I don't care what they think; I'm not going to cater to peoples' laziness. 

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #26,331 of 29,490
Quote:
I tried to get some feedback from the AD appreciation crowd, but it was pretty minimal so I'm checking with the general recommendation thread group. I'm not currently in the market for a new can, but I wanted to start my research early so when it does happen (probably in a few months), I will have tested a fair amount of equipment and can continue with an educated decision.

First some background every understands where I'm coming from. I use two closed cans at work (MDR-1R and SRH940), one open can for gaming (K702), and one open can for home music (AD700). I have loved the sound and detail my AD700 since I originally bought it for my gaming rig, but it's about the most uncomfortable thing you've ever put on your head, so I picked up the K702 and relegated the AD700 back to my home music rig which sees about the least amount of playtime from me. Now I'm looking to replace it again.

1. I don't have a set budget on this purchase. Maybe $800-1000? My priority is my happiness and I'm willing to spend a decent amount to get there.
  2. These will be strictly for home use and never taken outside. The majority of the time will be spent in a seat, on a couch, or laying down and just listening to music. I envision a small percentage will be spent on watching movies as well.
  3. I have no isolation needs what so ever. They can be wide open and I prefer them to be.
  4. I know people hate hearing this answer, but my musical tastes are all over the place. Format can be MP3, AAC, FLAC, and AppleLossless. Bit rates for the lossy format are generally 320kbps, but there is probably a small portion of my library that can dip down to 192kbps.
  5. The major source will be an Apple Macbook Pro, but it may every once in a while come from a higher end Pioneer receiver (can't recall the model at this time). I have not decided on an amp yet, but I will be sure it pairs well with the cans that I choose. No budget has been set yet, but I anticipate $300-600.
  6. I am looking for a neutral signature with quality sound throughout all frequencies. I love crisp detail in the highs and quick/punchy lows. The soundstage sound be expansive to help pinpoint the detail. If I could compare it to something everyone has heard, think of an uber AD700 with a little more punchy bass.

I have the Audeze LCD2 on my list. I'd like to get a group of maybe 3 or 4 to try out in total. What else should go on that list?

I also would like recommendations of cans that I can try with contrasting signatures to the one I'm describing above just so I can be sure that what I'm looking for is really what I want.

As always, thanks for all of your help. Thoughts? Feedback?

Thanks for your feedback on this. And yes, my wallet will be hurting, but my ears will be happy. 
smile.gif

Based on my criteria and your recommendations, the following are the cans on my list to check out:
  1. HE-500
  2. HE-6
  3. T1 Tesla
  4. HD 700

The following are the can contrasting my signature criteria (for comparison purpose):
  1. HD 600
  2. HD 650

I'd like to get a couple more recommendations on what to look at under $1000 as well as more to put into the contrast list that you think I will not like and the reasons why. Thoughts?

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #26,332 of 29,490
Quote:
SoundMAGIC HP100 = Neutral closed-back king of the $200-$300 range.  Look at some reviews.

A FiiO E9k should power them easily, or the E07K if you need portable.  They also sound decent unamped, but they definitely benefit a lot from an amp.

Sorry but in my country SoundMAGIC headphones are not available at all. Also Sennheiser HD598 is less then $200 so my price range is for up to $200.
I tried AKG K550 and does not liked them at all. I liked Shure 940/840. I liked very very much  AKG 242 (opened ones). May be I should take a look at Sennheiser HD5x8 series.

May I ask you about FiiO - is it a good solution to buy E17 in stead of E9/E7 ?

And also if I buy Sennheiser HD600 (300 ohm) what USB Audio DAC is recommended ?

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #26,333 of 29,490
Hello!

I am looking for closed headphones, mostly for outdoor use  and for funk, rock, hip-hop, acid jazz, house, and so on.. My budget is 500$. Source will be samsung galaxy s3. I do not have an amp.

I am thinking about sennheiser momentum,.

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #26,335 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello guys!
I need some advice on my new headphone purchase.
I currently own the following headphones.

• Deep Morado Bolivian Rosewood V3 Darths

• Grado Elite tweaked by HEADPHILE.

• Lawton Audio LA7000

So far out of the three headphones the Lawton Audio LA7000 are my favorite, Darths are a close second, Grados are last.

Here is my music preference:

ROCK: John Hiatt, Little Feat, Bob Seger, John Mellencamp, Steve Earle...
MODERN ROCK: New Order, Ministry, Depeche, Tears For Fears, Simple Minds, The Cure..

I have exactly $2000 dollars to spend.

What's your advice?

Thanks,
Ray

Those are each modified cans, and mostly expensive ones at that, that few people on a general recommendation thread will have heard.

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #26,337 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking to add to my headphone collection with a pair of $400-or-less open circumaurals. I absolutely loathe the "lush" and "liquid" sound. The music I listen to is far too aggressive, intricate, and technical for me to enjoy it when it's blunted by "lushness." 

What I'm looking for:

- "Solid" texture, particularly in the bass. 
- Relatively balanced signature. Would prefer to go bass-lite than bass-boosted. 
- Speed, speed, speed. My music demands a snappy response. Quick attack, and a quick, clean decay.
- Aggressive texturing, maybe even a bit dry.
- Neutral mid-range
- Do not want a mid-bass focus in the low end
- Would prefer the treble to be on the "soft" side. Note: not rolled off, but soft in presentation. I consider the RE-0 to have a pretty soft treble presentation.
- Clear image. Soundstage size isn't a huge deal, but it needs to be well-defined and layered.
More concerned with bass punch than physical impact or body.

Here are a few pairs I own that I'll use as a reference:

AD900:

- I don't find the bass quantity to be all that lacking, actually. Ideally I'd like a bit more, but I'm not unhappy with it.
- Bass presentation is great: very "solid" and well-textured. Also very quick.
- Upper-mids are boosted a bit, but overall I really like the mid-range presentation.
- A bit too much treble emphasis. Normally wouldn't be an issue, but the treble decay isn't very clean. My #1 fault with these.
- Would like more soundstage depth.
- Overall texturing is great. Guitars and screams are absolutely searing.  
- Not a lot of bass body, impact, or extension, but bass punch is quite good.

GR07:

- Bass quantity is about the most I would want.
- Bass is great. Great, solid texturing, very quick. Extension is good, but a bit too much in the upper bass makes the vocals too warm.
- Presentation is quite good. Decently wide with fair depth. Layering is very good, and imaging is quite good as well. Very clear and open.
- Mid-range is too warm. Upper-mids are a bit veiled.
- Treble is too hard and can be sibilant. Quantity is a bit less than what I'd consider ideal.
- Would like a bit more aggressive texturing and detail across the board. Still very good, though.

RE0

- Love, love, love the treble. I have 3 plys of the stock filters and it's wonderfully smooth, soft, and detailed. 
- Midrange tonality is excellent as well. Would prefer it to be a bit less "liquid," but tonality is beautiful.
- Bass quantity is fine, but is a bit too soft and liquid, and lacking punch. 
- Soundstage is small and quite flat. My #1 issue with these.
- Overall tonality is very, very near what I would consider ideal with 3 plys of the stock filter. 

That should be enough. As always, thanks Head-Fi! I look forward to seeing your suggestions.

K 702 Annies, Sony MDR-7520 or Sony MDR-CD900ST.

In this case a longer post is fine because it is all helpful and straight to the point--even if I haven't heard all three comps.

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #26,338 of 29,490
Hi everyone,

sorry I am writing here as am looking for an advice, I need to buy headphones for someone as a present, there is so much on the market and I am not really an expert to be able to make a good decision. Here is what I am looking for:

1. Headphones -closed cans- to listen to music on iphone/ipad/pc. Good for travelling, not too bulky and heavy. At the moment this person is using just normal iphone earbuds
2. Good bass, the person I am buying the headphones for listens to R&B/disco mostly, but also all types of music (except classical music/rock)
3. Look decent. I know he person does not like "big" headphones like the Beats pro. And I personallly really don't like Beats. He has small ears so relatively small headphones should not be a problem.
4. Decent noise isolation
5. Not so bad sound leak. the headphones will be used while travelling, on the tube mostly.
6. Budget: ideally up to £200-220

I am trying to find the balance between my point 2 (good bass) and 3. Most of the ones I have seen online are just huge and this is not really what am I looking for.

I have seen so far: Sennheiser Momentum (I totally love them, but the bass is a bit disappointing, sorry for my modest point of view), Bowers & Wilkins P5, P3 (P3 design is very nice but I don't like the sound quality), VModa M100 (I think they look too big, not sure anyway I don't find them in the UK, need to order them).

Open to recommendations:)

Many many thanks for your help!

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #26,339 of 29,490
Hi,

I am looking for a new headset for around 200$, either from ebay or an online retailer that ships worlwide.
I mainly play games like battlefield 3, League of Legends, Counter-Strike, and mostly shooters.
I listen to dance and electro music.
And watch movies and tv shows a few times a week.
Also if possible, they should have a built in microphone, or I will just get a cheap external one.

I currently have the Siberia V2, and they suck. so any ideas for a new good headset?

Thanks!

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #26,340 of 29,490
So my superlux headphones broke, is the ATH-M50 a good replacement/upgrade? or are there better cans than the M50's in that price range? I listen mostly to dubstep (old school dubstep, not the skrillex kind), no amps, straight from my PC's soundcard (Asus Xonar DG) and sometimes from my phone. I'd like a closed back pair for a change. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back