++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 20, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #26,311 of 29,490
iQuote:
I currently own the Bose Around Ear (first version) and i am considering upgrading to the Audio Technica ATH-M50.

Reason for upgrade:
-Can't wear my bose for more than 1 hour without it starting to hurt my ears and after 2 hours it hurts the top of my head.

-Looking for an increase in Audio quality for monitoring audio recording (Filmmaking).
-Looking for headphones with a very clear, realistic sound, and without overpowering bass.

My question for you is if it's worth the upgrade? are there other headphones i should consider?

If comfort is the problem, the M50 won't be an upgrade. It has a good amount of clamping. What is your budget?

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #26,312 of 29,490
Looking for ON EAR headphones. 

I do not want the m-80 (I just don't like the video game-ish look of them)
I've listened to the 1350's and want to see what else is around

What others would you recommend. I'll go up to 220ish in price. I listen to pretty much every genre of music and will be on the go with these headphones.

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #26,313 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for ON EAR headphones. 

I do not want the m-80 (I just don't like the video game-ish look of them)
I've listened to the 1350's and want to see what else is around

What others would you recommend. I'll go up to 220ish in price. I listen to pretty much every genre of music and will be on the go with these headphones.

Amperior
ESW9
ES700

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #26,317 of 29,490
Looking to add to my headphone collection with a pair of $400-or-less open circumaurals. I absolutely loathe the "lush" and "liquid" sound. The music I listen to is far too aggressive, intricate, and technical for me to enjoy it when it's blunted by "lushness." 

What I'm looking for:

- "Solid" texture, particularly in the bass. 
- Relatively balanced signature. Would prefer to go bass-lite than bass-boosted. 
- Speed, speed, speed. My music demands a snappy response. Quick attack, and a quick, clean decay.
- Aggressive texturing, maybe even a bit dry.
- Neutral mid-range
- Do not want a mid-bass focus in the low end
- Would prefer the treble to be on the "soft" side. Note: not rolled off, but soft in presentation. I consider the RE-0 to have a pretty soft treble presentation.
- Clear image. Soundstage size isn't a huge deal, but it needs to be well-defined and layered.
More concerned with bass punch than physical impact or body.

Here are a few pairs I own that I'll use as a reference:

AD900:

- I don't find the bass quantity to be all that lacking, actually. Ideally I'd like a bit more, but I'm not unhappy with it.
- Bass presentation is great: very "solid" and well-textured. Also very quick.
- Upper-mids are boosted a bit, but overall I really like the mid-range presentation.
- A bit too much treble emphasis. Normally wouldn't be an issue, but the treble decay isn't very clean. My #1 fault with these.
- Would like more soundstage depth.
- Overall texturing is great. Guitars and screams are absolutely searing.  
- Not a lot of bass body, impact, or extension, but bass punch is quite good.

GR07:

- Bass quantity is about the most I would want.
- Bass is great. Great, solid texturing, very quick. Extension is good, but a bit too much in the upper bass makes the vocals too warm.
- Presentation is quite good. Decently wide with fair depth. Layering is very good, and imaging is quite good as well. Very clear and open.
- Mid-range is too warm. Upper-mids are a bit veiled.
- Treble is too hard and can be sibilant. Quantity is a bit less than what I'd consider ideal.
- Would like a bit more aggressive texturing and detail across the board. Still very good, though.

RE0

- Love, love, love the treble. I have 3 plys of the stock filters and it's wonderfully smooth, soft, and detailed. 
- Midrange tonality is excellent as well. Would prefer it to be a bit less "liquid," but tonality is beautiful.
- Bass quantity is fine, but is a bit too soft and liquid, and lacking punch. 
- Soundstage is small and quite flat. My #1 issue with these.
- Overall tonality is very, very near what I would consider ideal with 3 plys of the stock filter. 

That should be enough. As always, thanks Head-Fi! I look forward to seeing your suggestions.

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #26,318 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking to add to my headphone collection with a pair of $400-or-less open circumaurals. I absolutely loathe the "lush" and "liquid" sound. The music I listen to is far too aggressive, intricate, and technical for me to enjoy it when it's blunted by "lushness." 

What I'm looking for:

- "Solid" texture, particularly in the bass. 
- Relatively balanced signature. Would prefer to go bass-lite than bass-boosted. 
- Speed, speed, speed. My music demands a snappy response. Quick attack, and a quick, clean decay.
- Aggressive texturing, maybe even a bit dry.
- Neutral mid-range
- Do not want a mid-bass focus in the low end
- Would prefer the treble to be on the "soft" side. Note: not rolled off, but soft in presentation. I consider the RE-0 to have a pretty soft treble presentation.
- Clear image. Soundstage size isn't a huge deal, but it needs to be well-defined and layered.
More concerned with bass punch than physical impact or body.

Here are a few pairs I own that I'll use as a reference:

AD900:

- I don't find the bass quantity to be all that lacking, actually. Ideally I'd like a bit more, but I'm not unhappy with it.
- Bass presentation is great: very "solid" and well-textured. Also very quick.
- Upper-mids are boosted a bit, but overall I really like the mid-range presentation.
- A bit too much treble emphasis. Normally wouldn't be an issue, but the treble decay isn't very clean. My #1 fault with these.
- Would like more soundstage depth.
- Overall texturing is great. Guitars and screams are absolutely searing.  
- Not a lot of bass body, impact, or extension, but bass punch is quite good.

GR07:

- Bass quantity is about the most I would want.
- Bass is great. Great, solid texturing, very quick. Extension is good, but a bit too much in the upper bass makes the vocals too warm.
- Presentation is quite good. Decently wide with fair depth. Layering is very good, and imaging is quite good as well. Very clear and open.
- Mid-range is too warm. Upper-mids are a bit veiled.
- Treble is too hard and can be sibilant. Quantity is a bit less than what I'd consider ideal.
- Would like a bit more aggressive texturing and detail across the board. Still very good, though.

RE0

- Love, love, love the treble. I have 3 plys of the stock filters and it's wonderfully smooth, soft, and detailed. 
- Midrange tonality is excellent as well. Would prefer it to be a bit less "liquid," but tonality is beautiful.
- Bass quantity is fine, but is a bit too soft and liquid, and lacking punch. 
- Soundstage is small and quite flat. My #1 issue with these.
- Overall tonality is very, very near what I would consider ideal with 3 plys of the stock filter. 

That should be enough. As always, thanks Head-Fi! I look forward to seeing your suggestions.

All i can think of are the ma900s, dt880s, sr225i/325i (on ear, but you should consider)
Ive heard abunch about the k701 but they must be driven correctly.  The Philips Fidelio X1 should also be considered.]

Just saying, you should try to make your posts a little shorter if you want someone to actually read it.  I kinda skimmed over it.

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #26,319 of 29,490
Quote:
Well i'll take another look haha

Yeah they're definitely on ear.  I think you should get the M80s because of they're superior build quality.  The esw9a will break like a twig, but the m80s will stay with you forever. They should be the best bet.  Other than that, you've got:
Fidelio M1
Senn amperior

There aren't very many sealed on ears out there.  Why do you need on ears though?

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #26,320 of 29,490
Quote:
I currently own the Bose Around Ear (first version) and i am considering upgrading to the Audio Technica ATH-M50.

Reason for upgrade:
-Can't wear my bose for more than 1 hour without it starting to hurt my ears and after 2 hours it hurts the top of my head.

-Looking for an increase in Audio quality for monitoring audio recording (Filmmaking).
-Looking for headphones with a very clear, realistic sound, and without overpowering bass.

My question for you is if it's worth the upgrade? are there other headphones i should consider?

Ath m50s should be great, but you should consider both the mdr 7506 and akg k167.  The k167's are the best but aren't comfortable to me.  My ears stick out far so the drvers are slamming on my ears.  Others don't complain though.  The k167s would be the best for sound quality imo and music enjoyment.

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #26,321 of 29,490
Hello guys!
I need some advice on my new headphone purchase.
I currently own the following headphones.

• Deep Morado Bolivian Rosewood V3 Darths

• Grado Elite tweaked by HEADPHILE.

• Lawton Audio LA7000

So far out of the three headphones the Lawton Audio LA7000 are my favorite, Darths are a close second, Grados are last.

Here is my music preference:

ROCK: John Hiatt, Little Feat, Bob Seger, John Mellencamp, Steve Earle...
MODERN ROCK: New Order, Ministry, Depeche, Tears For Fears, Simple Minds, The Cure..

I have exactly $2000 dollars to spend.

What's your advice?

Thanks,
Ray

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #26,322 of 29,490
Quote:
Alright, I'm stuck between 3 pairs of headphones at the moment. The Sony MDR-1Rs, the Audio Technica WS99s, and the Audio Technica AD900X. I plan on using these for home use only. I will be using it for movies, gaming, and music so I'd like a pair of headphones that excels in all areas. I primarily listen to metal, dubstep (other types of techno as well, but this is the main one I like), and alternative/rock [in that order].

On to my sound preferences (for music only). I love slightly exaggerated sub bass that doesn't affect the mids or highs. I like a slight amount of mid bass, just enough for that bass drum punch.

I like the vocals to be a little more forward than the rest of the spectrum. Mids are the most important aspect of sound to me. I just like them to be layered, full and forward.

I like my highs to be bright and detailed, but smooth enough to where I don't cringe. I'm more sensitive to sibilance and harshness than most. I LOVE micro-details and timbre so I definitely want some nice crisp highs, but I want it to be laid back enough to where it doesn't hurt my ears at louder listening volumes.

If anyone can help me out that would be great. And if you'd like to suggest another pair of over-ear headphones around this price range, then I'd be happy to consider it.

I don't know anything about the ad900x but the mdr 1r's seem perfect. The mids are a little forward for great vocals and the bass doesn't touch the mids or highs.  They are a little uncomfortable though.  My ears touch the drivers, the ear pads are too small (my ears stick out), and they get really warm.  They are however comfortable for portable use.

You should also consider the mdr ma900s.

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #26,324 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello guys!
I need some advice on my new headphone purchase.
I currently own the following headphones.

• Deep Morado Bolivian Rosewood V3 Darths

• Grado Elite tweaked by HEADPHILE.

• Lawton Audio LA7000

So far out of the three headphones the Lawton Audio LA7000 are my favorite, Darths are a close second, Grados are last.

Here is my music preference:

ROCK: John Hiatt, Little Feat, Bob Seger, John Mellencamp, Steve Earle...
MODERN ROCK: New Order, Ministry, Depeche, Tears For Fears, Simple Minds, The Cure..

I have exactly $2000 dollars to spend.

What's your advice?

Thanks,
Ray

You should go to summit fi. You won't get many replies around here.

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #26,325 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking for my first headphone. I own RE0 (IEM) and I like the way it sounds except it's lack of bass.

Budget: Up to $200 (Less is better)
Usage: Only at home.
Kind of music: I listen to all genres of music especially pop and J-rock (classic sometimes).
Source: PC with no sound card, unamped.
Signature: Neutral, all rounder. I'm not a basshead. Just need a little more bass than RE0. I have to wear it more than 2 consecutive hours so comfortable is must.
Possibilities:
ATH-AD700
ATH-M50 - In my country its price nearly same as AD700.
Shure SRH440
Sennheiser HD239
Sennheiser PX100-II
Sennheiser HD439
(Not in this list is OK.)

Thank you for all opinions.

Bump. Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back