++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 18, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #26,222 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm open to second hand buying, I'll have a look around.

There are some Beyerdynamic T90s for sale on the forums for $450... would they be any good?

You can get HD650's off Kogan for $349, although they're currently sold out. It might be worth giving them a call to see when new stock will be in.

Mar 18, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #26,223 of 29,490
Quote:
You can get HD650's off Kogan for $349, although they're currently sold out. It might be worth giving them a call to see when new stock will be in.

Thanks, I'll have a look. I'm browsing Headphones.com.au and looking at a few models I've been recommended (here and elsewhere)

Options at the moment seem to be HD650, HE400, or Beyerdynamic T90s. The HE400 being the only ones I could afford new. I could save a little more I know, but even then, as long as they're in good nick, there's nothing wrong with used right?

Unfortunately the Central Coast appears to be devoid of any quality audio stores I can try these in. Are you aware of any stores in the area (noticed you're around here too)?

Mar 18, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #26,224 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks, I'll have a look. I'm browsing Headphones.com.au and looking at a few models I've been recommended (here and elsewhere)

Options at the moment seem to be HD650, HE400, or Beyerdynamic T90s. The HE400 being the only ones I could afford new. I could save a little more I know, but even then, as long as they're in good nick, there's nothing wrong with used right?

Unfortunately the Central Coast appears to be devoid of any quality audio stores I can try these in. Are you aware of any stores in the area (noticed you're around here too)?

Haha, definitely no audiophile grade stores on the coast unfortunately. There's Castle Hill Hifi - they have a lot of Sennheiser headphones you can audition. Where abouts on the coast are you from?

Mar 18, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #26,225 of 29,490
Quote:
Haha, definitely no audiophile grade stores on the coast unfortunately. There's Castle Hill Hifi - they have a lot of Sennheiser headphones you can audition. Where abouts on the coast are you from?

I'm down the Gosford end of the coast, yourself? I may have to pop down to Castle Hill on the weekend. They have the 650s for $500 too!

Mar 18, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #26,226 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm down the Gosford end of the coast, yourself? I may have to pop down to Castle Hill on the weekend. They have the 650s for $500 too!

I'm just at Green Point - I didn't think I'd find a fellow coasty head-fier on here lol! I recently acquired the HE 400's and they're quite good - a clear step up from dynamic drivers. I'm not sure you'd like them though as their mids are a bit recessed, but the bass is very nicely present and tactile.

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #26,227 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
The HD 650 is an excellent match, but per your link is about $100 over your budget.

I'm open to second hand buying, I'll have a look around.

There are some Beyerdynamic T90s for sale on the forums for $450... would they be any good?

Not for the money.  If you want a Beyers full sized can go with either the DT 880 or T1.  If you want portable, get the DT 1350.

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #26,228 of 29,490
hi everyone,
I'm looking for some around-ear headphones in the price range 100-170$
i don't like rap, hip-hop, electronic, etc. my music is more on the side of punk, rock, jazz, blues, ska, classical guitar, instrumental, etc.
I'll be using a laptop as a source because I'm only using them at home.
I'm not a bass-head.
I've done a wide research of headphones and based on many internet comments it seems like the sennheiser hd558/hd595 are the ones that fit me best. I don't really have a place to try them, there's not many places to try headphones where i live. i wanted to hear some opinions about these headphones, and if there is a suggestion about better headphones please tell me. is there a big difference between these two headphones? should i buy them? thanks for the attention

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #26,229 of 29,490
Quote:
hi everyone,
I'm looking for some around-ear headphones in the price range 100-170$
i don't like rap, hip-hop, electronic, etc. my music is more on the side of punk, rock, jazz, blues, ska, classical guitar, instrumental, etc.
I'll be using a laptop as a source because I'm only using them at home.
I'm not a bass-head.
I've done a wide research of headphones and based on many internet comments it seems like the sennheiser hd558/hd595 are the ones that fit me best. I don't really have a place to try them, there's not many places to try headphones where i live. i wanted to hear some opinions about these headphones, and if there is a suggestion about better headphones please tell me. is there a big difference between these two headphones? should i buy them? thanks for the attention

Both are very good and use the same drivers.  I would suggest an amp or amp/dac for you to get the most out of them vs. just on board computer audio.

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #26,230 of 29,490
Hi! I'm looking for something to replace my ancient (and discontinued) Sennheiser EH350's: http://www.headphone.com/headphones/sennheiser-eh-350.php
No major issues with the sound, but they're horribly uncomfortable without putting foam over the drivers, and they're so old that the paint is peeling off the headband. So then...

Budget: Not more than $150. Preferably on Amazon (gift card monies).
Isolation: Would be nice, but not completely necessary. They'd be mostly for home use. No interest in IEMs.
Source: Laptop, unamped, unless buying an amp or DAC is deemed essential and not over-budget.
Signature: Neutral/flat, or close to it. I don't really want something excessively "colored" or tailored to specific kinds of music (even if that makes them less "fun"...no need to make bad files sound good). Not a basshead.

Possibilities:

Sennheiser HD 380: The only ones I've actually tried. People here seem to have iffy opinions about it, especially the comfort, but my ears (which stick out almost 3cm) actually fit in them, and they don't seem tight to me (small head). They sounded much better than the HD 280's at the same store. Expensive, but Amazon has a refurbed version for ~$100. Doesn't seem durable (plastic, lots of thin moving parts).

KRK KNS 6400/8400: Probably the best in terms of sound, but I'd probably have to pad them to prevent ear pain, which could make them sound worse (?). General opinion seems to be that 8400's sound is better, but not by much (and it depends a lot on the earcups), and it looks harder to drive (0.139 volts for 90dB versus 0.091 for the lesser model).

Shure SRH-440/840: Supposedly a bit bassy? Their prices seem to fluctuate wildly. 440 would probably be unusable for me without buying the 840's pads.

Creative Aurvana Live!: Also supposedly "warm." But I don't really know if that's a bad thing. Quite a few reports of breakage, but at least it's the cheapest option...

NVX XPT100: Apparently a Fischer FA-003 / Brainwavz HM5 clone. The cups are of sufficiently ridiculous size, but it seems to me that they must be amped. Whoever named these sure likes the letter X.
tongue.gif

Thanks!

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #26,231 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi! I'm looking for something to replace my ancient (and discontinued) Sennheiser EH350's: http://www.headphone.com/headphones/sennheiser-eh-350.php
No major issues with the sound, but they're horribly uncomfortable without putting foam over the drivers, and they're so old that the paint is peeling off the headband. So then...

Budget: Not more than $150. Preferably on Amazon (gift card monies).
Isolation: Would be nice, but not completely necessary. They'd be mostly for home use. No interest in IEMs.
Source: Laptop, unamped, unless buying an amp or DAC is deemed essential and not over-budget.
Signature: Neutral/flat, or close to it. I don't really want something excessively "colored" or tailored to specific kinds of music (even if that makes them less "fun"...no need to make bad files sound good). Not a basshead.

Possibilities:

Sennheiser HD 380: The only ones I've actually tried. People here seem to have iffy opinions about it, especially the comfort, but my ears (which stick out almost 3cm) actually fit in them, and they don't seem tight to me (small head). They sounded much better than the HD 280's at the same store. Expensive, but Amazon has a refurbed version for ~$100. Doesn't seem durable (plastic, lots of thin moving parts).

KRK KNS 6400/8400: Probably the best in terms of sound, but I'd probably have to pad them to prevent ear pain, which could make them sound worse (?). General opinion seems to be that 8400's sound is better, but not by much (and it depends a lot on the earcups), and it looks harder to drive (0.139 volts for 90dB versus 0.091 for the lesser model).

Shure SRH-440/840: Supposedly a bit bassy? Their prices seem to fluctuate wildly. 440 would probably be unusable for me without buying the 840's pads.

Creative Aurvana Live!: Also supposedly "warm." But I don't really know if that's a bad thing. Quite a few reports of breakage, but at least it's the cheapest option...

NVX XPT100: Apparently a Fischer FA-003 / Brainwavz HM5 clone. The cups are of sufficiently ridiculous size, but it seems to me that they must be amped. Whoever named these sure likes the letter X.
tongue.gif

Thanks!

CAL! or 8400--depending on budget (CAL!), durability (8400), efficiency (CAL!) and/or sound signature (your pick).

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #26,232 of 29,490
Hi, im from Brazil and new in the world of good headphones.
Actually, i have some low end ekips: ATH-M50, HD280Pro, etc... and im looking for better cans.
I listen to gothic, heavy, doom and symphonic metal or hip-hop, house and trance sometimes.

I read a lot in the forum and finished with theses options:

- Sennheiser Momentum
- V-Moda M100
- Yamaha Pro 500 (probably the chosen one)
- ATH-A900X
- Sony MDR-1R

My needs: I rly don't wanna use an amp, but if its necessary, np at all.
I prefer closed cans and im little basshead (just a little)(i had a Sennheiser HD598, loved but sold because the bass was weak to me)
I love musical fidelity, thats y i didnt even think about colored cans like beats pro.

Wich headphone would u pickup from the list above? Is there any other option on the market?
Money isnt rly a problem but i dont wanna spent all in a fullsize because i wanna buy some IEM too...
Ahh, im going to MIAMI... Is there any store with nice options of headphones to listen to?

Thanks to all opinions!

Please, someone?

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #26,235 of 29,490
Quote:
CAL! or 8400--depending on budget (CAL!), durability (8400), efficiency (CAL!) and/or sound signature (your pick).

Hm...I guess I'm still not sure if the 8400 is really better than the 6400. Innerfidelity's graphs seem to indicate the opposite: 8400 is very bumpy in the 10-400 Hz range (and it looks like he measured them in two different positions, one with weak bass and one with two giant bass bumps), though most people say they don't hear this. The 8400's square wave tests look less flat; and it has less distortion overall, but a huge spike near 1000 that the 6400 doesn't have. But maybe I'm misinterpreting? I've also read that they're not very consistent: one person went through 3 different pairs of 8400's and they sounded very different, the earlier ones being worse, which could explain the wonky graphs.

Does anyone know how deep the cups are on the CAL! or the KRKs, or how thick the material over the drivers is? Ear stick-out-ness is likely to be a problem; the HD380's cups are huge, but they're only just barely big enough for my Obama-caricature ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back