++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 17, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #26,191 of 29,490
Quote:
For an under $100 can, the Shure is a good choice.  However, you may be expecting more than you apparent budget can deliver.

yeah, i'm trying not to be too picky or hyped up for it since i can't upgrade until late summer, but as a new audio head, i want to start off small. i want something that sounds good. but since a lot of people here have been in the head fi game for a while, what they may brand as "decent" might sound great to me since i don't know any better. the "best" sounding audio ive heard came from apple earpods.

any level of isolation and noise cancellation better than earbuds will make me happy tbh.

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #26,192 of 29,490
Hey guys wondering about which headphones might be a good purchase for me:

Background info: Im looking for a new set of headphones for mainly gaming(CSGO, BF3, etc...). I occasionaly listen to music but for the most part the audio source wont be that good, just regular mp3s. For the past couple of years ive been using HD555's which have been good. I havent had any complaints about lack of bass or anything like that. Now the left driver on my headphones is going out, i need to get a new pair. Also i just use a basic amp : http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Pro-PHA40-4-Channel-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B003M8NVFS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1363552914&sr=1-1&keywords=pyle+pro+pha+40
ir

For a budget i would like to spend less than 200 dollars, im a bit frugal but am willing to spend money if it is a great improvement.
A couple headphones ive looked at would be:

Audio Technia AD700
Audio Technia AD900
AKG K 240 MK II
Sennheiser 518

All of these are in the 100-200 price range and im not sure which would be best for gaming and light music/videos. Also if you have any other suggestion for headphones in that price range id be fine looking into other brands and what not.

Thanks for any advice or input!

For competitive gaming, nothing is better than the AD700, period. If you want a better all-arounder without giving up much competitiveness at all and have a little more money to spend, K701, K702, or Q701.

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #26,193 of 29,490
Hopefully someone knowledgeable can help me, looking for headphones:
I'm considering the AD900x, let me know if that's a good choice or to look elsewhere.

BUDGET: $200-300 (USD)
USE: Home for entertainment. Portability/robustness preferable.
ISOLATION: Usually will be solo so: Open cans.
MUSIC: EDM, Rock (Alt), Pop, Classical, Hip hop. Will try to listen to 320kbps for most. Occasional 190 etc.
SOURCE: Laptop with relatively good on board card. Or my FiiO E7
SIGNATURE: I'm probably not experienced enough to answer this. But I want it lively and fun. I'm not recording music - I'm listening to it. So I want it fun and be able to listen without too much fatigue.

I have the M50's and I like them but I'd like the upgrade with the higher budget and the attempt at open cans.

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #26,194 of 29,490
Quote:
Hopefully someone knowledgeable can help me, looking for headphones:
I'm considering the AD900x, let me know if that's a good choice or to look elsewhere.

BUDGET: $200-300 (USD)
USE: Home for entertainment. Portability/robustness preferable.
ISOLATION: Usually will be solo so: Open cans.
MUSIC: EDM, Rock (Alt), Pop, Classical, Hip hop. Will try to listen to 320kbps for most. Occasional 190 etc.
SOURCE: Laptop with relatively good on board card. Or my FiiO E7
SIGNATURE: I'm probably not experienced enough to answer this. But I want it lively and fun. I'm not recording music - I'm listening to it. So I want it fun and be able to listen without too much fatigue.

I have the M50's and I like them but I'd like the upgrade with the higher budget and the attempt at open cans.

For $295 on Amazon, the Grado SR325is are all yours. They are open design and some of the best Grado has to offer, let alone the whole headphone market. Don't know about the AD900x, but Audio Technica is a good brand; I'm sure they'll be just fine as well.

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #26,195 of 29,490
Just want to say thank you to all people who contributed to this thread. I spent a month learning about head phones reading his thread. It sent me in the right direction..

i wanted them for my iPhone to use Rhapsody HD and Hifi use. I took a close look at my inventory of music. 50% classic rock, 25% blues, 25% jazz.  I have an upscale system so I wanted soundstage. 

I listened to at least 10 different models from Grado, Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic over 3 hours at my local Hifi store.

I went with Grado 325's. The soundstage is amazing. I have two friends who bought Beats and are kicking themselves now. 

Thanks to everyone who participates here.

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #26,196 of 29,490

1. Budget
  2. Where/how do you plan on using these can?
  3. What kind of music do you listen to and what's the format/bit rate?
  4. What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using?
  5. Do you know what kind of signature you're trying to find?

Any recommendations guys please?

* $300 at max
* Mainly home (90%) but I'd like great isolation for the bus
* A lot of electronic and trance, k-pop, classical, rock/alternative, pop. Music is in apple lossless, flac and some 256 kbps itunes plus format.
* Source is iPhone 4/iPhone touch 4 gen and I have Fiio E6 as amp.
* Something warm; good punchy bass (not excessive), rich sound and really good mids like the TBSE1. Sorry I might be asking too much for just $300 Lol

I'm considering Denon D600 and AKG K550 but I'm not sure.

Thanks 

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #26,197 of 29,490
Quote:
Just want to say thank you to all people who contributed to this thread. I spent a month learning about head phones reading his thread. It sent me in the right direction..

i wanted them for my iPhone to use Rhapsody HD and Hifi use. I took a close look at my inventory of music. 50% classic rock, 25% blues, 25% jazz.  I have an upscale system so I wanted soundstage. 

I listened to at least 10 different models from Grado, Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic over 3 hours at my local Hifi store.

I went with Grado 325's. The soundstage is amazing. I have two friends who bought Beats and are kicking themselves now. 

Thanks to everyone who participates here.

Thanks for posting--and good listening!  The 325is will rock your world.

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #26,198 of 29,490
Quote:

* $300 at max
* A lot of electronic and trance, k-pop, classical, rock/alternative, pop. Music is in apple lossless, flac and some 256 kbps itunes plus format.
* Something warm; good punchy bass (not excessive), rich sound and really good mids like the TBSE1. Sorry I might be asking too much for just $300 Lol

Thanks 

If you are going to use them at home so much.. don't pigeon-hole yourself into a closed pair. I would honestly suggest getting two different pairs of headphones, one open for home use and the other closed for on the bus.

I would suggest a used hd580/600 or hd650 for the home can.. maybe a fostex t50rp if you want some isolation (they are semi-closed).

Just my .02

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #26,199 of 29,490
Quote:
  1. Budget
  2. Where/how do you plan on using these can?
  3. What kind of music do you listen to and what's the format/bit rate?
  4. What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using?
  5. Do you know what kind of signature you're trying to find?

* $300 at max

Thanks 

The portable Beyer DT 1350.

The Denon has been widely panned, but may be OK for you at a bargain price.  The K 550 is big and has a long cord.  I haven't heard the K 551, but you might want to check it out despite that fact that is currently about $30 above your budget.

Mar 18, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #26,200 of 29,490
Hi everyone!
I'm planning to replace my hi-fi with a headphone rig. I've underlined what I was thinking to buy, in addition to the headphones

OVERALL BUDGET: 600€ (I consider the secondhand market)
USE: Both outdoor (on trains, at the university), both at home
SOURCE: iPhone 4 (192kbps) + low-quality friendly portable amp  / macbook pro + hiface + Valab NOS dac (will replace these two if needed) + full-size amp at home
ISOLATION: Needed.
SIGNATURE: Deep but clear bass, possibly realistic trebles, good stage (at least with home configuration). Strong sound temper, but also sturdy manufacuring.

I have been adviced for the Sony MDR-7520 which don't need amplification. But I'd prefer to have different amplifications for mobility and home due to the different quality of the source. What do you think? Is this a correct approach?

Thank You in advance!

Mar 18, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #26,201 of 29,490
Amazon dropped the price for very short time on the AKG K-240 Semi Open Studio which is the update of the K-240 Monitor so I grabbed a pair. Waiting on delivery. Can't wait.

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #26,202 of 29,490
I just got the mdr 1r and while they are great for portable use and home use, i know i can get something with a wider soundstage for gaming and rock for home use in the same price range.

Cans i see that are recommended the most include: SR225i, MA900, hd598.

Best open rock and R&B headphones in between $200 and $300
Indoor, Gaming
Ipod 4, Galaxy Media Player, 270-320kb/s, maybe fiio e11 or e6
Dont need isolation
Something with a wide soundstage, and sounds like the mdr 1r with mid emphasis, or at least just no recessed mids.  SR80i were good for rock but too uncomfortable without mods.

Thanks!

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #26,203 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi everyone!
I'm planning to replace my hi-fi with a headphone rig. I've underlined what I was thinking to buy, in addition to the headphones

OVERALL BUDGET: 600€ (I consider the secondhand market)
USE: Both outdoor (on trains, at the university), both at home
SOURCE: iPhone 4 (192kbps) + low-quality friendly portable amp  / macbook pro + hiface + Valab NOS dac (will replace these two if needed) + full-size amp at home
ISOLATION: Needed.
SIGNATURE: Deep but clear bass, possibly realistic trebles, good stage (at least with home configuration). Strong sound temper, but also sturdy manufacuring.

I have been adviced for the Sony MDR-7520 which don't need amplification. But I'd prefer to have different amplifications for mobility and home due to the different quality of the source. What do you think? Is this a correct approach?

Thank You in advance!

There's generally nothing wrong with throwing an amp in between an highly efficient can and its source. Most of the time, it will help. I, too, was looking at the MDR-7520, but I just happen to find a real great deal on a Shure SRH940 instead. When I get around to it, I'll seek out the 7520 just to hear it.

Maybe throw the Shure SRH840 and DT770 Pro just to have something else to compare the 7520 to.

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #26,205 of 29,490
Quote:
I just got the mdr 1r and while they are great for portable use and home use, i know i can get something with a wider soundstage for gaming and rock for home use in the same price range.

Cans i see that are recommended the most include: SR225i, MA900, hd598.

Best open rock and R&B headphones in between $200 and $300
Indoor, Gaming
Ipod 4, Galaxy Media Player, 270-320kb/s, maybe fiio e11 or e6
Dont need isolation
Something with a wide soundstage, and sounds like the mdr 1r with mid emphasis, or at least just no recessed mids.  SR80i were good for rock but too uncomfortable without mods.

Thanks!

Go with the HD 598. 

The Grado is designed for slam and the Grado wall of sound.  That is not the best for gaming and a wide/deep sound stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back