++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 17, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #26,161 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Sony MDR 7520.

More so than the SRH940? How do they compare?

The 7520 is built better and is much more efficient.

Isn't it just the same thing as the Z1000? They're both pretty neutral?

Don't have or have heard the Z1000.  The 7520 is a true higher end studio can--so very neutral.  It's bass is better--more prevalent and extended-- than the 940, but has less sound stage.  The MDR 75210 has smaller ear cups, which may present an issue for some.

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #26,162 of 29,490
Open almost always wins out closed at the same price point. I think I prefer my AD700 sonically to anything else I've purchased so far and those were far less than anything else. I agree with your assessment of the 1R, although they absolutely have their place in my arsenal. Let's go back to basics...

• What's your budget?
  • Where/how do you plan on using these can?
  • What are your isolation needs? Open or closed cans?
  • What kind of music do you listen to and what's the format/bit rate?
  • What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using?
  • Do you know what kind of signature you're trying to find?

$300
Home use, gaming
Don't need isolation, open
Mainly r&b, rock, pop, hip hop, little classical; bit rate: between 270 and 320 kb/s
May get fiio e11, but as of now, out of a galaxy MP3 player or iPod touch
Grado'ish, but less in your face, and closer to the sennheiser sig, satisfying bass

Thanks!

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #26,163 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi.

I'm looking for work headphones. Price up to 150$. They must be closed because i'm not alone in the office. 

Listening classic rock, blues, pop, classic. 

ath m50

Shure SRH840
?
?

Tnx

Add the KRK KNS 8400 for consideration.

Take the M50 off your list.  It's recessed mids don't go well with your music.

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #26,164 of 29,490
What's your budget?
    ~USD$200, but can stretch it to ~$300 if need be...

Where/how do you plan on using these cans?
    Office mainly.

What are your isolation needs? Open or closed cans?
  1. In terms of Isolation... Hmm must not be completely noise isolating as I need to hear my colleagues when they need to get my   attention and such. Also would prefer for them not to hear my music, as it is a distraction to some...
  2. Also what is the difference between open and closed cans? I can't get my head around the idea still haha

What kind of music do you listen to and what's the format/bit rate?
  1.  DnB, Dubstep, Christian Rock/ Metal...
  2.  Format/ Bit Rate: 192+ AAC typically.

What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using?
    iPhone 5. (0.83 Ohm Impedance) and sometimes the laptop I work from...

Do you know what kind of signature you're trying to find?
    Just want a clear set of cans that have a great soundstage, that allow me to listen to the whole track and don't favour one element over the other. But also have great bass, I can always turn it down via EQ.

Any additional comments?
  1. Don't think I want an amp at the moment. So I want some headphones that are fairly easy to drive considering the iPhone puts out less than one ohm...
  2. Also want some good looking cans... Really like the styling of the V-Moda M100's if someone could justify these would suit my needs and would be the best buy in my situation.

Thanks in advance for all the help and thoughts,
s0up2up

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #26,165 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi ,i'm looking for a new headphone: i listen mainly to rock from '70 to modern and after a lot of readings ( unfortunately here i don't have the opportunity to listen before buying) , i come to an end that HifiMan He-500 and Beyerdynamic T1 would suit my tastes ( i hope i'm right).

At the moment i have a Little Dot MKV, do you think could be a good match for these headphones now or should i have to consider immediatly another amplifier like Violectric V200?

For reference, usually i listen to b&w 803 driven by Nad S300 plugged to Cambridge Audio 840C.

Regards, Filippo

I suggest that you post your question on the appreciation thread for each can.  While I have both of those cans, I don't have any significant experience with either amp--regardless of the can plugged into it.

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #26,166 of 29,490
What's your budget?
    ~USD$200, but can stretch it to ~$300 if need be...

Office mainly.

• In terms of Isolation... Hmm must not be completely noise isolating as I need to hear my colleagues when they need to get my   attention and such. Also would prefer for them not to hear my music, as it is a distraction to some...
  • Also what is the difference between open and closed cans? I can't get my head around the idea still haha

•  DnB, Dubstep, Christian Rock/ Metal...
  •  Format/ Bit Rate: 192+ AAC typically.

What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using?
    iPhone 5. (0.83 Ohm Impedance) and sometimes the laptop I work from...

Just want a clear set of cans that have a great soundstage, that allow me to listen to the whole track and don't favour one element over the other. But also have great bass, I can always turn it down via EQ.

Any additional comments?
  • Don't think I want an amp at the moment. So I want some headphones that are fairly easy to drive considering the iPhone puts out less than one ohm...
  • Also want some good looking cans... Really like the styling of the V-Moda M100's if someone could justify these would suit my needs and would be the best buy in my situation.

Thanks in advance for all the help and thoughts,
s0up2up

I don't even think you can hear others, but others can't hear your music in any can. Only thing I can think that can somewhat do that is the fidelio l1.

If you want open consider:
Sennheiser HD598/558
MDR MA900
ATH AD900
Grado sr225i

If you want closed, and you probably won't hear anything outside of the cans:
Sennheiser Momentum
MDR 1R
DT770
ATH A900x
AKG K550

Open cans are well... Open, and usually sound more preferable. They have a better soundstage, better depth, and sound more airy, more natural but they won't have the bass of a closed can.

Closed cans are optimal for portable reasons, and for bassy and electronic music. Overall, they aren't really comparable to open cans in the same price range. Except for some grados.

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #26,167 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello,

I am looking to buy a new set of headphones and would appreciate any advice.

I own a Grado SR-80i and bought an AKG K701 as an upgrade. Unfortunatly, I like my Grado's better then the AKGs. While I enjoy the AKG's increase in detail, the Grado's sound more involved which I like more. The AKGs seem a little too distant if that makes any sense, and the soundstage is almost too big. I will probably sell these.

I also demoed some Sennheiser Momentums and while they sounded really good (once again I liked the increase in detail) I thought there was a bit too much bass, and the bass wasn't as punchy as the Grados. The music also seemed a little darker(?), which I have mixed feelings about (depends on the song).

Regarding my musical choices, I listen to a pretty devierse mix. Rock, J-pop, and soundtracks make up the majority. Classical, Opera, and Jazz are a close second. I also listen to some electronica, indie, and R&B. I am willing to spend up to $500 (but prefer cheaper). Either that or everyone can tell me I've reached audio perfection and to save my money.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

HD 600 or Grado RS 2i.

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #26,168 of 29,490
What's your budget?

150$ - 170$ max

Home, school, train :- everywhere, pretty much.

I want good isolation because as stated I'll be wearing almost everywhere. 

Closed is preferred.

DnB, Indie rock, pop, rap, classical piano and guitar music etc... I listen to almost everything

Ipod nano 7th generation, Macbook Pro, Zoom G7.1ut Guitar pre amp

I'm a basshead.. to an extent. Clean vocals and instrument seperation is also important to me

Any additional comments?

Well, I'd like a pair of good looking headphones. I had the AKG K167s before and I didn't like them at all, so I'd appreciate it if you could refrain from recommending headphones with similar sound signatures.

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #26,169 of 29,490
Quote:
OK, figured this is the appropriate spot to place this post. 

LOOKING FOR ADVICE --new to the headphone world, I'm looking for one pair of headphones that I will keep until they break. 

DISCLAIMER: Opinions from a non-audiophile, this review is reflective of my personal tastes which is different from everyone else's. 

So I went to the high end audio shop and tested out these headphones, all connected to a high quality amp simultaneously so you can easily switch between headphones instantaneously. I tested them out with alternative/classic/modern rock, and hip hop on a number of songs. There were about 20 other headphones but I wasn't interested in listening to them. 

Sennheiser HD650
Sennheiser HD700
Sennheiser HD800
Sennheiser HD598
Sennheiser HD280
AKG Q701 Quincy Jones
Beats by Dre
Beats by Dre Pro
Grado PS1000
Grado PS500
Grado GS1000
Grado RS2i
Grado RS325is

This is the order I liked them in: 

PS500
HD700/800
------------------------ (this signifies large jump in how much I liked the headphones).
RS2i
RS325is
PS1000 
GS1000
HD650
HD598
Q701
Beats

There's two profound things that I gathered after listening: 1. The grado PS500/RS2/325is clarity of treble/highs is ridiculously good by a large margin compared to the rest. 2. The HD700/800 vocals sound like the person singing is standing right there next to you. 

So this is what I realized: Music is about how it makes you feel. I didn't enjoy listening to music from the HD650s any more than I would listening to regular iPhone buds even though everyone loves them here. I just think they sound plain and boring. I have no idea how else to describe it. I understand now what people say when they mean the sound is "fun". The Grado PS500s were on a completely different level than all the other ones mentioned. Even compared to the RS2/PS1000 I felt they were very entertaining. The details on the highs and how you can hear every little guitar lick was incredible, plus the lows really captured that "warm room filling sound" I was looking for. I feel that the PS500's blew everything else minus the HD700/800s out of the water. On the flip side, the HD700/800s realistic sounding voices felt like you were standing in the recording studio. However, I noticed the highs were muffled and muted. The highs didn't sound anything like the PS500s and it felt there was a good chunk of music missing that the Grados were playing.

I found the HD650s and HD598 had a very similar sound, but it was not one that I liked, it was kind of dull and boring. I don't know how to describe it. The Q701 sounded thin which I did not like. The Beats were horrible --I thought people here were over exaggerating to prove a point, but they really are junk. 325iS sounded like the bass was missing, I did not like that. The PS1000 I disliked a lot, I'd rather have the 325iS over these --they sounded so different compared to the other Grados (it's as if an entirely different company made them). RS2s were great, just wish they had more low end like the PS500s, otherwise similar sounding, but much less bass.

CONCLUSION: At $650 the PS500s I felt were the best, the only concern I had was that the sound was too bright, and that anything over an hour of listening would start to become tiring. The HD700s at $1100 were the second best, but I didn't like that the highs are completely missing that the Grados had, but I now understand what "flat" means when referring to sound. Also, I understand why you can listen to music for hours on these whereas you can't on the PS500s.

VERDICT: Why would I consider buying anything else than the PS500? I can use all of these headphones at home, however the rest of these headphones are too big to walk with outside, and require an amp. Whereas the PS500s can be taken anywhere, hooked up to my iphone, and I won't look silly walking around with them with an amp in my pants. lol

QUESTIONS FOR EVERYONE HERE:

1. Can you guys point out which headphones have a very similar sound to the PS500s? DON'T ANSWER THIS QUESTION if you haven't heard the PS500s. The RS2/325/PS1000 don't sound like this headphone and you wouldn't understand what I mean if you haven't listened to it. 

2. If I could create the "perfect" headphones for MYSELF, I would take the PS500, add the vocal quality from the HD700, and turn down the treble just a tad. Does a headphone out there exist like this?????

3. Any advice/tips of which headphones I should listen to before I commit to buying a pair? This will be my only pair of headphones, and I plan on keeping these headphones until they break (which means over 10 years).

Thanks again guys for the help. Don't take any negative comments I made above personally because I'm just a beginner with a very particular preference of sound. I SINCERELY APOLOGIZE!!!!!

I look forward to hearing what recommendations you guys have or advice/tips. I plan on giving the Hifiman HE400/HE500s a listen tomorrow at another store since David recommended them. 

The HE 500 are the clear choice.  However, the slightly bassy tilt of the PS500 may be your sound signature preference. 

The HD 700 & 800 are much more expensive than the rest.  The HD 800 are much better, but may be too bright for you.

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #26,170 of 29,490
Quote:
I don't even think you can hear others, but others can't hear your music in any can. Only thing I can think that can somewhat do that is the fidelio l1.

If you want open consider:
Sennheiser HD598/558
MDR MA900
ATH AD900
Grado sr225i

If you want closed, and you probably won't hear anything outside of the cans:
Sennheiser Momentum
MDR 1R
DT770
ATH A900x
AKG K550

Open cans are well... Open, and usually sound more preferable. They have a better soundstage, better depth, and sound more airy, more natural but they won't have the bass of a closed can.

Closed cans are optimal for portable reasons, and for bassy and electronic music. Overall, they aren't really comparable to open cans in the same price range. Except for some grados.

So you wouldn't recommend any of the V-Moda gear?

If I did go Open, would others around me be able to hear stuff?

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #26,172 of 29,490
Quote:
I currently have a pair of Denon D2000s which I've been enjoying, as the sub-bass is pretty fun.  However, they're not ideal for all of the music I listen to, primarily rock and the like.  A good example of the type of music I'm talking about is the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlSxN98y7Z4

So basically, I'm looking for a complementary pair of headphones.  D2000s for bassy stuff, another pair for rock and stuff focused on mids.  I have an X-Fi Titanium (non-HD), but do not have an amp.  I'd like to keep it under $300, especially since I may have to drop some money on an amp.  I don't particularly care if they're open or closed since I will be using them at home, and I have a fairly large head.

Also, a side question, is the non-HD Titanium good enough to continue using for music or should I invest in a DAC and leave the Titanium for surround sound in games?

Q 701 or  AD-900/AD-900X

Mar 17, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #26,173 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Sennheiser HD558. You should look into them.

i have tried that, the can is very comfort and nice to use. however i scare about the cracking at the "H" word. some people said that the structure would be figile if you do not taking care about the crack. compared it with Sony MA500 or ATH AD900 or 700. which one should be better choice?

The HD 598 are fine as long as you don't abuse them.  They are definately sturdier than the Sony.

With regard to sound--all three are excellent and reasonable ears will like each of them.

Mar 17, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #26,174 of 29,490
Quote:
I am relatively new to this. I am looking for a pair of headphones that's will be suitable for my listening needs.I like details, with smooth highs and midrange. Bigger soundstage with tight bass would be preferred. I listen predominantly to the following genres:

Jazz, instrumental, vocals, classical, fusion jazz, soft rock.

I am also looking for portability as I will be using it at home and at work. At home, I have a Peachtree Nova and a Rogue Cronus Magnum to drive the headphones but at work it's basically for now through the computer. I will probably invest in a portable headphone amp down the line but no budget for that now.

I did some research and am looking at something in the price range of the Sennheiser HD600, which I read maybe good for classical and jazz. I like natural voicing and also the fine details of instruments in music I listen to.

I know I cannot have all I am looking for in my price range, so would welcome suggestions to point me in the right direction. Thanks. 

What is your exact budget?

Are you OK with open cans like the HD 600 (they leak sound)?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Do you plan to use them outside your home/office?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Mar 17, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #26,175 of 29,490
how do you guys feel about the 440s? not hearing much about them in these super guides. I wanted no leakage and i didn't want to hear the outside world as much,

i may get the 280 from senn but i've heard things like isolation is bad. 

the bass frequency graph kinds makes me skeptical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back