++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 13, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #25,981 of 29,490
Quote:
I own all of them--the three Senns; both HiFiman & DT 880 (and DT 880 Pro 250 Ohm).

I understand that people hear things differently.  However, check back in after you've heard the HE 500 and/or HE 6 (properly powered).

All that said, I like all three Senns--but don't find their treble to be their strong points.

You can check other threads here and elsewhere and pickup on the frustration that many have had with the headphone out on many modern A/V receivers.  Fact is that many companies cheep out on that and put money into other features.  I have found the Yamaha Adventage line to do a decent job with their headphone out.  In the old days the receivers had to routinely push 300 & 600 Ohm cans, often with sensitivity ratings in the low 90's dB range.

Thanks for the info.

Decided to skip the Sennheiser HD 6x0, I don't think they are worth 500$+ (Canada).  Down to the AKG Q701's (400$), DT 990's (avaliable from ebay with a 2 year warranty) and Sony MDR-1R's.  The DT 990's seem like they would be the best alternative to my D2000's.

Mar 13, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #25,982 of 29,490
Quote:
That's funny. I just returned some Ultrasone Pro 900  (well about to) and just bought the mad Dogs with Alpha Pads. I also got a chance to listen to the Vmoda m100. Here was my impression of the ultrasones

Amazing bass. I am sure you would be really satisfied with it. The m100 also had nice bass but I preferred the ultrasone. However, clarity in the upper range was clouded...or I guess some would describe it as dark. I was really looking for that vocal accuracy and did not want an all bassy headphones. The vmoda m100 offered a little bit of that for me but still wasn't what I was looking for (sounded dark as well but not as much as the ultrasone).

I plan on comparing my friends m100 to the mad Dogs whenever they come in as I would really like to finalize this but I unfortunately don't have a store to demo such headphones.

I would really love to read a detailed comparison of the M100 to the Mad Dogs. I heard so many good things about the Mad Dogs, but also some concerns.

Mar 13, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #25,983 of 29,490
Quote:
Was hoping someone on here could give me the dems, will pm a guy i know has them in a sec. And from what i could tell the case i was asking about appeard to be the right size

You know that the 900x is relatively new and probably not widely owned as of yet (especially by the 5 or 10 regulars on this thread)--yes?

Mar 13, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #25,984 of 29,490
Quote:
I own all of them--the three Senns; both HiFiman & DT 880 (and DT 880 Pro 250 Ohm).

I understand that people hear things differently.  However, check back in after you've heard the HE 500 and/or HE 6 (properly powered).

All that said, I like all three Senns--but don't find their treble to be their strong points.

You can check other threads here and elsewhere and pickup on the frustration that many have had with the headphone out on many modern A/V receivers.  Fact is that many companies cheep out on that and put money into other features.  I have found the Yamaha Adventage line to do a decent job with their headphone out.  In the old days the receivers had to routinely push 300 & 600 Ohm cans, often with sensitivity ratings in the low 90's dB range.

People hear things differently and just have very different opinions on what sounds right and wrong.  I just started up a thread to get some more feedback on this whole "veil" thing, feel free to drop in and post your experience with the senns! http://www.head-fi.org/t/655258/do-you-feel-that-the-sennheiser-600-series-are-veiled-hd580-hd600-hd650-poll-included

I'm sad to hear that so many people have issues with modern receivers, I didn't know. I will keep that in mind from now on :)

Mar 13, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #25,985 of 29,490
Quote:
You know that the 900x is relatively new and probably not widely owned as of yet (especially by the 5 or 10 regulars on this thread)--yes?

They must not be selling too well either because I saw price drops this week down to $165 for them. I really wish there was more word on these things because that's a juicy selling point.

Mar 13, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #25,986 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

People hear things differently and just have very different opinions on what sounds right and wrong.  I just started up a thread to get some more feedback on this whole "veil" thing, feel free to drop in and post your experience with the senns! http://www.head-fi.org/t/655258/do-you-feel-that-the-sennheiser-600-series-are-veiled-hd580-hd600-hd650-poll-included

I'm sad to hear that so many people have issues with modern receivers, I didn't know. I will keep that in mind from now on :)

Maybe I'll put my 2 cents in after SxSW is over.  I have a new cable for the three Senns that I picked up at the recent Austin Head-Fi meet.  Unfortunately, I'm only in the same time zone as my HD 600.

Mar 13, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #25,987 of 29,490
I don't think you mentioned what will be driving these cans, but an iPhone 4 will power the 8400 to a reasonable, if not ear blasting, volume.  The Shure SRH 840 is in the same neighborhood.  The SRH 440 is more efficient.

Among the Sony's that are 24 Ohms and with efficiency rating of [SIZE=11pt]107 or 108 dB/mW[/SIZE] are the MDR 7510, 7520 & V-900HD.
Ok cool thanks! I didn't mention I'm looking for something round the 100-250ohm mark. Does that help?

Mar 13, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #25,988 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
I don't think you mentioned what will be driving these cans, but an iPhone 4 will power the 8400 to a reasonable, if not ear blasting, volume.  The Shure SRH 840 is in the same neighborhood.  The SRH 440 is more efficient.

Among the Sony's that are 24 Ohms and with efficiency rating of [size=11pt]107 or 108 dB/mW[/size] are the MDR 7510, 7520 & V-900HD.

Ok cool thanks! I didn't mention I'm looking for something round the 100-250ohm mark. Does that help?

If I correctly understand you, we would also need to know what will be driving these cans and the sensitivity rating of each of them to go their respective specific rating in Ohms.  As a general rule, cans in the 100 to 250 Ohm range will need some sort of amping beyond being plugged directly into on board computer audio or a portable player.

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #25,989 of 29,490
Quote:
That's funny. I just returned some Ultrasone Pro 900  (well about to) and just bought the mad Dogs with Alpha Pads. I also got a chance to listen to the Vmoda m100. Here was my impression of the ultrasones

Amazing bass. I am sure you would be really satisfied with it. The m100 also had nice bass but I preferred the ultrasone. However, clarity in the upper range was clouded...or I guess some would describe it as dark. I was really looking for that vocal accuracy and did not want an all bassy headphones. The vmoda m100 offered a little bit of that for me but still wasn't what I was looking for (sounded dark as well but not as much as the ultrasone).

I plan on comparing my friends m100 to the mad Dogs whenever they come in as I would really like to finalize this but I unfortunately don't have a store to demo such headphones.

Quote:
I would really love to read a detailed comparison of the M100 to the Mad Dogs. I heard so many good things about the Mad Dogs, but also some concerns.

Heh, I can get why you weren't satisfied with the Ultrasones. I think these Mad Dogs are the best headphones I've ever heard. Listening to bands like the Beatles, Pink Floyd, and some newer bands like The Lumineers and Monsters and Men, they are just stunning. I hear everything clearly and well. But then when more I guess you can say, "exciting" music is played like DnB and hip-hop. Just my opinion, they do seem to be a bit too neutral for my tastes. I'm definitely am not looking for all bassy and would give anything with clarity like these Mad Dogs with just a bit more emphasis on the bass =). Soooo.. I was leaning toward the HE-400s! People are saying it has a much higher bass extension.

Mar 13, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #25,990 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Heh, I can get why you weren't satisfied with the Ultrasones. I think these Mad Dogs are the best headphones I've ever heard. Listening to bands like the Beatles, Pink Floyd, and some newer bands like The Lumineers and Monsters and Men, they are just stunning. I hear everything clearly and well. But then when more I guess you can say, "exciting" music is played like DnB and hip-hop. Just my opinion, they do seem to be a bit too neutral for my tastes. I'm definitely am not looking for all bassy and would give anything with clarity like these Mad Dogs with just a bit more emphasis on the bass =). Soooo.. I was leaning toward the HE-400s! People are saying it has a much higher bass extension.

Admit it.  You are a basshead...or at least a basshead lite. 

The HE-400 will not scratch that itch, nor will the even better but neutral bass of the HE 500.  You don't want (just) extension.  That won't be enough to bring you to musical excitement.

Mar 13, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #25,991 of 29,490
=( I figured bassheads would be satisfied with Beats' type of bass. I hate that much as it drowns out almost everything else from the song. I feel like I'm being too picky but my darn ears continue to deceive me! I also feel like I have the wrong I guess, definition of bass extension. I don't know, it's just too weird. This headphone thing is difficult, lol.

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #25,993 of 29,490

How old of days are we talking here KG?

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #25,994 of 29,490
=( I figured bassheads would be satisfied with Beats' type of bass. I hate that much as it drowns out almost everything else from the song. I feel like I'm being too picky but my darn ears continue to deceive me! I also feel like I have the wrong I guess, definition of bass extension. I don't know, it's just too weird. This headphone thing is difficult, lol.

Maybe you're not a "bass head" but have a decided preference for phones that are "dark" or "warm?" That seems to be the groove I'm falling into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back