++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 12, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #25,936 of 29,490
I don't really see why people say DT770 has recessed mids.

Doesn't seem recesses on graphs, or to me when listening:

They certainly don't use them in studios all over the world because they're colored or lacking certain parts of frequency ranges. Sometimes on head-fi people can give an impression that DT770 has no mids at all, or that vocals suck on them, etc.

Funny, I was always led to believe they are bass monsters too. Looks pretty flat up til the treble

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #25,937 of 29,490
Quote:
Do you know whether or not your receiver will adequately power the Senns (including the HD 600) and the Beyer?  The D2000 is very efficient, at 25 Ohms and [size=11.0pt]106 dB/mW.[/size]

Any receiver should power the HD/580HD600/HD650 more than fine. I can power them off a clip+ very well.. All the hype on senns being hard to drive is grade-a bologna in my book. My good friend agreed that they were quite easy to drive. I could very easily live with powering them off just a clip+, The O2 and E17 and Advent receiver we were also powering them off of provided much more than sufficient headroom most of the time.

They were a little quiet at times coming off the clip+ into the O2 at 2.5x gain (mine has lowered gain). But never frustratingly so.. The senns don't need much, is what I'm getting at and any receiver should do the job, if not, something like an e17 or o2 certainly would.

Quote:
Neither the HD 600 or 650 has bright treble.  To the contrary, many hear both as being veiled.

I wouldn't call them bright or veiled, but neutral. I always assumed they were veiled based on head-fi.. but after some extensive listening last night, I don't think that is very true. They might not be as hyper-detailed as my fostex or some stax or hd800, but they certainly are not veiled.

Quote:
Hello, can someone help me decide between HTF600, HARX700, XB700 and the new HD662mkii. I mostly listen to dubstep, drum and bass and trance, and prefer a good base and treble. I won't be using an amp, neither a dedicated sound card. I can stretch my budget for a bit, but I'd prefer under $50. I'd love some isolation since the area around my flat is quite noisy.
Also, is getting a dedicated sound card a must with these headphones?

Thanks in advance

I like the XB700 for what they are. See if you can't find a used pair on here. The HTF600 has pretty lame build quality. The Harx700 is very kind of "echoey" sounding to me, but not bad for the price.  I don't know anything about the HD662. If I was going to pick out of the ones you listed I'd go for xb700. Just my opinion, everyone has one :) Mine is actually based on hearing 3 out of the 4 cans though :wink:

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #25,938 of 29,490
Funny, I was always led to believe they are bass monsters too. Looks pretty flat up til the treble

Oh they definitely are bass monsters! Well, not crazy bass, but a bit too much for me.

And they don't really have recessed mids, it's just that the huge bass is just so distracting, and that the mids aren't the most accurate. Although the mids aren't greatly recessed, the vocals do take a shot in the...legs? (not really the head).

It's all about the seal!

All IMO

Mar 12, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #25,939 of 29,490
I am getting no help in my thread, so can anyone here recommend a good hard case that is big enough for some ATH-A900X's? This seems like it might if someone can verify this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BF6IKL4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3LDYY9JWKE0VP

And not necessary but can someone find one of the comparison charts between the 900x and 700x? (maybe like the dt770 one above, would be nice to include the 770-250 to compare them to too)

Mar 12, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #25,940 of 29,490
After months f reading reviews and getting advice on head-fi, I recently purchased a pair of SoundMagic HP100s to fit my need for circumaural, closed headphones for opera and classical music. I'm relatively happy with the way they sound, but I have large ears and I find the cups on these, even though they are pretty big, still press against my ears no matter how I adjust them - so they really are not comfortable to wear for more than an hour.

So now, I'm on the hunt again... My favorite headphones that I've been able to try locally have been the Shure 1840s - I love the way these sound and find them very comfortable - but I really need closed cans for work and travel. I tried Shure 940s, but found them uncomfortable too. Are there any closed headphones out there that are great for classical and opera that have bigger cups than the HP100s?  Audio Technica woodies with a portable amp?  Price is not a big issue - if they sound great (keep on kind my preference for the 1840s) and are incredibly comfortable, I'm willing to pay for those features in a closed headphone. With my big ears, I'm beginning to wonder if IEMs are the way to go, but I've found open headphones that are big and comfy - just not closed ones that I like. I have tried some Denons, but didn't find them as transparent and neutral as I like. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Mar 12, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #25,941 of 29,490
After months f reading reviews and getting advice on head-fi, I recently purchased a pair of SoundMagic HP100s to fit my need for circumaural, closed headphones for opera and classical music. I'm relatively happy with the way they sound, but I have large ears and I find the cups on these, even though they are pretty big, still press against my ears no matter how I adjust them - so they really are not comfortable to wear for more than an hour.

So now, I'm on the hunt again... My favorite headphones that I've been able to try locally have been the Shure 1840s - I love the way these sound and find them very comfortable - but I really need closed cans for work and travel. I tried Shure 940s, but found them uncomfortable too. Are there any closed headphones out there that are great for classical and opera that have bigger cups than the HP100s?  Audio Technica woodies with a portable amp?  Price is not a big issue - if they sound great (keep on kind my preference for the 1840s) and are incredibly comfortable, I'm willing to pay for those features in a closed headphone. With my big ears, I'm beginning to wonder if IEMs are the way to go, but I've found open headphones that are big and comfy - just not closed ones that I like. I have tried some Denons, but didn't find them as transparent and neutral as I like. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

I'm hearing good stuff about the ATH A900x.
The fidelio l1s maybe (semi-open)
Sony's Flagship I think (trying to remember the name)...... Well, I think it ends in a 1000.
Senn Momentum
I haven't heard any of these but i think this'll give you somewhere to start.

Mar 12, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #25,942 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm hearing good stuff about the ATH A900x.
The fidelio l1s maybe (semi-open)
Sony's Flagship I think (trying to remember the name)...... Well, I think it ends in a 1000.
Senn Momentum
I haven't heard any of these but i think this'll give you somewhere to start.

You might be talking about the Sony MDR-Z1000, but the model that replaces it and is being compared to the Momentum is the MDR-1R.

Mar 12, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #25,943 of 29,490
I am getting no help in my thread, so can anyone here recommend a good hard case that is big enough for some ATH-A900X's? This seems like it might if someone can verify this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BF6IKL4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3LDYY9JWKE0VP

And not necessary but can someone find one of the comparison charts between the 900x and 700x? (maybe like the dt770 one above, would be nice to include the 770-250 to compare them to too)

Need help with this

Mar 12, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #25,944 of 29,490
Can anyone help me with suggestions? 

If I were to spend a maximum of $450 (preferably lower) on headphones + dac/amp for gaming and music listening on my computer (trance, house, I want a lot of bass) what could I do? 
Right now I've got some ATH A700's. I bought them mostly because of how comfortable they were, and because they generally got great reviews for the price point. 
However, I have no idea if they're geared towards heavy bass, but I'm getting the sense they are not. 
So for $450, what are my options? Also considering I need a dac within that price limit, and an amp if there's any money left (if it's even needed. maybe a dac/amp combo like the e17). 
Portability is not important, but they need to be comfortable enough to wear for up to 6 hours at a time. 

At first I thought I could just buy an amp and dac to boost the bass of my headphones, but if they weren't made for bass in the first place, I guess it would be better to do the job right and get the right kind of headphones instead. 

Mar 12, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #25,945 of 29,490
Quote:
they need to be comfortable enough to wear for up to 6 hours at a time. 

Good luck with that. There's not a single headphone that I can wear continuously for 4+ hours, even the most comfortable ones I've owned thus far. If you're being serious with that statement, then the Beyer DT990's are probably the only option available to you. They're open and need a bit of amping (250 ohms), but they have some pretty nice bass impact. Oh, they also have a very hot treble and sibilance might be an issue.

Mar 12, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #25,946 of 29,490
[size=small] Okay, I posted not too long ago in regards to a mid-tier headphone I wanted and have been suggested to the highly praised Mad Dogs with Alpha Pads. Well, I bought them and got them in and was very underwhelmed with the bass on these. I now understand the meaning of neutral bass and it is not for me. I did love every other aspect of the Mad Dogs (they're amazing headphones) such as the nice soundstage, vocal accuracy, and most of the ranges.[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Simply put, I want A LOT more bass with my new phones.[/size]

[size=small] I was looking at the:[/size]

[size=small]
  1. Denon AH-D2000s or the new AH-D600 successor?
  2. Yamaha PRO 500s
  3. Beyer DT990 PROs
  4. Ultrasone PRO 900 S-Logics

[/size] [size=small] Budget again is 300$[/size]

[size=small] Source is PC and iPod[/size]

[size=small] Amp: Schiit Magni/Modi stack[/size]

[size=small] Music: DnB, Hip Hop, Jazz, R&B, Indie Rock, Alternative, Rock, and Classical.[/size]

Mar 12, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #25,947 of 29,490
Quote:

Good luck with that. There's not a single headphone that I can wear continuously for 4+ hours, even the most comfortable ones I've owned thus far. If you're being serious with that statement, then the Beyer DT990's are probably the only option available to you. They're open and need a bit of amping (250 ohms), but they have some pretty nice bass impact. Oh, they also have a very hot treble and sibilance might be an issue.

The one's I've got now I can wear for 6 hours without it getting uncomfortable. The "wing gate" system is mainly why I bought them, and it's the reason I can keep wearing them for so long. The top of my head is left untouched and I love that :) 
I'm new to "proper" headphones, but I thought closed back were best for lots of bass? Or maybe you can't make it a simple rule like that? 

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #25,948 of 29,490
Quote:
The one's I've got now I can wear for 6 hours without it getting uncomfortable. The "wing gate" system is mainly why I bought them, and it's the reason I can keep wearing them for so long. The top of my head is left untouched and I love that :) 

May I have what headphones you've got? I'm assuming some audio-technicas, but my ears get hot after too long. Unfortunate that AT doesn't make bassy cans with their wings design.

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #25,950 of 29,490
Quote:

May I have what headphones you've got? I'm assuming some audio-technicas, but my ears get hot after too long. Unfortunate that AT doesn't make bassy cans with their wings design.

Yeah, they're AT. Can't promise you anything with heat build-up though, I never have that problem. Maybe you wouldn't like them anyway. 
My own biggest problem is headphones pushing down on the top of my head, hence why I bought my AT. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back