++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 12, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #25,921 of 29,490
Many thanks, ordering a pair now off amazon for £55. 

How about sony mdr-ma500?

It sounds a little warm and very balanced.

It's FR graph is almost perfect in this price range.

But it doesn't block out the outer noises perfectly because of its open-air structure.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B007I1QXTG/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1363094205&sr=1-1-catcorr&pi=SL75

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #25,922 of 29,490
Quote:
How about sony mdr-ma500?

It sounds a little warm and very balanced.

It's FR graph is almost perfect in this price range.

But it doesn't block out the outer noises perfectly because of its open-air structure.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B007I1QXTG/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1363094205&sr=1-1-catcorr&pi=SL75

I've already purchased the Creative Aurvana Live headphones, though do you reckon the MDR-MA500's would be a better choice? It's still early enough that I could cancel.

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #25,923 of 29,490
Didn't notice this thread. I started one 
biggrin.gif

This thread should have been in multiple sections with price ranges and whatever else is necessary. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/655150/best-budget-headphones

Anyway, help?!? Creative headphones are welcome, but my last set was their Sigma headset which started dying after a year (cord) and which I got pissed at and ripped the cord (nothing to do with the game... 
mad.gif
). Trying to avoid them. The design of the cable made it hard for me to repair but could be. Headphones with detachable cords seem the sensible thing. 

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #25,924 of 29,490
Quote:
biggrin.gif

This thread should have been in multiple sections with price ranges and whatever else is necessary. 

Anyway, help?!? Creative headphones are welcome, but my last set was their Sigma headset which started dying after a year (cord) and which I got pissed at and ripped the cord (nothing to do with the game... 
mad.gif
). Trying to avoid them. The design of the cable made it hard for me to repair but could be. Headphones with detachable cords seem the sensible thing. 

There is a headphone buying guide (http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide)... if not, you can just use the search function to search this thread to find similar inquiries.

I haven't heard the S500s, but I'm sure the hype is no joke since I have heard their HARX900's and those are fantastic (why not get those?). I also wonder if the S600's use the same nano-carbon drivers as the S500s because I know they're available in the US. Another option is the Koss Pro DJ100, which is a diehard favorite for some on this forum. I didn't like them as much due to their really spongy earpads but apparently people have been switching pads on them and finding good results both comfort and soundwise.

And you'll also hear this a lot, the Creative Aurvana Live is probably the best sound you can get for under $100... Any product has a chance to be a lemon so don't be so put off because of one bad experience with a brand. The CAL's might not even be manufactured by Creative since they are OEM's that were once branded as the Denon AH-D1001.

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #25,925 of 29,490
biggrin.gif

mad.gif

Seeing as you live 3 years in the future, I have no idea what cans are available to you. :wink:

Refurb'd HD439s can be had for $50-60, maybe look at those.

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #25,927 of 29,490
Hi there everybody,

I am looking for a closed headphone for recording and mixing. Obvious issue is that it is generally better to record with a closed back, but have read recommendations that open back or semi-open back are better for mixing (as a result of the increased sound stage?). 

I have had my heart pretty set on anything Beyerdynamic, including the DT 770 250Ohm, and the DT 880 PRO 250 Ohm, but I don't want something to hyped as I believe that will be too misleading for mixing.

Basically, the DT 880 fulfils my requirements completely other than the fact that I have read it is unusable if recording vocals on a condenser mic.

The main attributes I am looking for are:

• The comfort of the DT 880 and 770 (so I can mix for extended periods of time)
  • Price around $200-$300
  • Closed back, or minimal bleed
  • As balanced a sound as possible (no too recessed mids, hyped highs or bass)

I hope I am not dreaming of the perfect headphone and there is something out there that someone can make me aware of! To be honest I have not that much knowledge outside of the Beyers, and am feeling they dont really have anything for me until I get to the T70, which is just that little bit to over of my budget.

Thanks in advance!

Help? Any one? Please?

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #25,928 of 29,490
My old headphones broke and I'm now looking for a new pair. My prefered music is heavy dubstep and I like it really loud. I'm looking for headphones with a good all around quality of sound but with a slightly better bass. My budget is <$40 and I would like them to be circumaural and comfortable.
Can anyone else help me? I would like them to be a bit flashy

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #25,931 of 29,490
I've already purchased the Creative Aurvana Live headphones, though do you reckon the MDR-MA500's would be a better choice? It's still early enough that I could cancel.

Urbana live would be better if you usually wear headphones outdoors because it is sealed type. But at home, ma500 would provide better stage and imaging. Urbana live has stronger bass than ma500. If you are a bass-lover, choose urbana live. But if you like balanced and flat sound, ma500 will satisfy you.

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #25,932 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi there everybody,

I am looking for a closed headphone for recording and mixing. Obvious issue is that it is generally better to record with a closed back, but have read recommendations that open back or semi-open back are better for mixing (as a result of the increased sound stage?). 

I have had my heart pretty set on anything Beyerdynamic, including the DT 770 250Ohm, and the DT 880 PRO 250 Ohm, but I don't want something to hyped as I believe that will be too misleading for mixing.

Basically, the DT 880 fulfils my requirements completely other than the fact that I have read it is unusable if recording vocals on a condenser mic.

The main attributes I am looking for are:

1. The comfort of the DT 880 and 770 (so I can mix for extended periods of time)
  2. Price around $200-$300
  3. Closed back, or minimal bleed
  4. As balanced a sound as possible (no too recessed mids, hyped highs or bass)

I hope I am not dreaming of the perfect headphone and there is something out there that someone can make me aware of! To be honest I have not that much knowledge outside of the Beyers, and am feeling they dont really have anything for me until I get to the T70, which is just that little bit to over of my budget.

Thanks in advance!

The DT 880 is semi-open.  The DT 770 has a V shaped EQ.

Get a Shure, Sony or KRK studio can that fits your budget and the amount of amplification you have available.

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #25,933 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
My old headphones broke and I'm now looking for a new pair. My prefered music is heavy dubstep and I like it really loud. I'm looking for headphones with a good all around quality of sound but with a slightly better bass. My budget is <$40 and I would like them to be circumaural and comfortable.

Can anyone else help me? I would like them to be a bit flashy

$40 is a very low budget for cans that sound decent, much less look the part.  Check the buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread for some options.

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #25,935 of 29,490
Quote:
I don't see how you would like the DT 770 with its recessed mids.  They are also very large.

I don't really see why people say DT770 has recessed mids.

Doesn't seem recesses on graphs, or to me when listening:

They certainly don't use them in studios all over the world because they're colored or lacking certain parts of frequency ranges. Sometimes on head-fi people can give an impression that DT770 has no mids at all, or that vocals suck on them, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back