++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 9, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #25,801 of 29,490
Best for around 200, low leakage, portability is a plus but over ear is a must, want some good bass, replacing hd428s, thinking hd558/98/18's. Already have a thread too with more info but not many replies

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #25,802 of 29,490
Quote:
Best for around 200, low leakage, portability is a plus but over ear is a must, want some good bass, replacing hd428s, thinking hd558/98/18's. Already have a thread too with more info but not many replies

I don't know much about the $200 price range, but Logitech UE6000 is $200 and has been compared favorably by some reviewers against $300 competitors.

If portability is not too important, I have heard good things about the beyerdynamic dt770. they just look too bulky to be practical for walking around w/ them around your neck type thing.

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #25,803 of 29,490
Quote:
So I think I'm getting a handle on what I like! Liking "warm" in that I gravitate towards my ATH ESW9 more than my JVC HA S500. Now I'm wanting to continue the exploration by introducing an open can into the mix. Are there intermediate steps I should try or just save up until I can afford the Hifiman HE500? I really love the looks of the HD 598, but they aren't at all warm, right?

I hear the open HD 598 as on the warm side.  They have a bit of the Senn veil.  They are a step up from what you have.

The HE 500 is a giant leap up.

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #25,804 of 29,490
Quote:

Those three are all open and leak a great deal.

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #25,805 of 29,490
Need help choosing a new pair of headphones.
I am new to the hifi side of headphones and very confused about all the different options available on the market, i currently have a pair of beats solo hd witch were a mistake to buy but i actually enjoy the bass although the rest sounds like ****...
i am looking for a new pair of closed (so i can listen to music anywhere without everyone hearing it ) cans under 300$ that have decent bass response and nice mid and high range. i mainly listen to rap (eminem,wiz khalifa...) and rock (pink floyd, beatles etc..)
if you guys could help me out finding a few different options as i am very lost in trying to find any myself.....

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #25,808 of 29,490
Dont want multiple sets, want good sound, and dont like in-ear or on-ear. I know people who walk around with beats executives or something like that on, and this is highschool. Half the school has the 200 buck beats solos or whatever around their kneck all day

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #25,809 of 29,490
Quote:
Dont want multiple sets, want good sound, and dont like in-ear or on-ear. I know people who walk around with beats executives or something like that on, and this is highschool. Half the school has the 200 buck beats solos or whatever around their kneck all day

So you don't like beats... but at the same time it's completely impractical to lug around full-sized open headphones which also come with like 10ft cables, not to mention leak sound and are pretty fragile.

There are other over-ear, closed options that sound better than beats like the Sennheiser Momentums, UE6000s, or Sony MDR-1R's.

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #25,810 of 29,490
Quote:

First, let me aplaude you for wanting to get educated instead of just following what all of your fellow high school students are doing and just buying Beats. Second, let's define what you're looking for. It sounds like you want a full cup, closed-back can can with good isolation and is efficient so it can used without an amp on portable devices. Sounds like you also want some emphasis put on lower frequencies as well because you like a little more color on your bass. All of that and around $200. Correct so far?

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #25,811 of 29,490
Quote:

So you don't like beats... but at the same time it's completely impractical to lug around full-sized open headphones which also come with like 10ft cables, not to mention leak sound and are pretty fragile.

There are other over-ear, closed options that sound better than beats like the Sennheiser Momentums, UE6000s, or Sony MDR-1R's.

Or simply Grado? Senn HD598?

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #25,812 of 29,490
Hey guys

Looking for a decent closed back headphone.

My current headphones are the Sennheiser HD600 and Etymotic Research ER-4P (with S cable).

I want something slightly bassy (more bass than what I currently have), with a good soundstage. I don't want something bright sounding. I've tried the DT770 and I didn't like it.

I'm thinking about the A900X, any alternatives?

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #25,813 of 29,490

I asked what other options there were when you said those were all open. And i think 2 of those have detatchable cables an com with a 3.5 ft cable and a 10 ft.

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #25,814 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys

Looking for a decent closed back headphone.

My current headphones are the Sennheiser HD600 and Etymotic Research ER-4P (with S cable).

I want something slightly bassy (more bass than what I currently have), with a good soundstage. I don't want something bright sounding. I've tried the DT770 and I didn't like it.

I'm thinking about the A900X, any alternatives?

What didn't you like about the DT770?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back