++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 7, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #25,726 of 29,490
Quote:
I don't know much about your current JVC cans, but I really don't see how they will be. It is true the AD700 lacks low end and they won't shine on music that is bass heavy, but they are still widely considered to be the gateway drug into the audiophile world for a reason. I don't know enough about the Superlux to speak to those.

Alright, good enough for me, and my headphones just broke even more so I need to hurry up and order, so I'll just order them. Thanks for the help :)

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #25,727 of 29,490
My old headphones broke and I'm now looking for a new pair. My prefered music is heavy dubstep and I like it really loud. I'm looking for headphones with a good all around quality of sound but with a slightly better bass. My budget is <$40 and I would like them to be circumaural and comfortable.

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #25,728 of 29,490
Quote:
My old headphones broke and I'm now looking for a new pair. My prefered music is heavy dubstep and I like it really loud. I'm looking for headphones with a good all around quality of sound but with a slightly better bass. My budget is <$40 and I would like them to be circumaural and comfortable.

Well you can get the sony xb500's for $50. Tons of bass, mids and highs are "okay" considering its price. The jvc rx700 and the panasonic htf600 are also great phones for the money. Not too familiar with other phones but the ones I mentioned are pretty popular here on head-fi. Good luck..

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #25,729 of 29,490
Quote:
Well you can get the sony xb500's for $50. Tons of bass, mids and highs are "okay" considering its price. The jvc rx700 and the panasonic htf600 are also great phones for the money. Not too familiar with other phones but the ones I mentioned are pretty popular here on head-fi. Good luck..

What about the senns hd201?

Mar 7, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #25,730 of 29,490
Mar 7, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #25,733 of 29,490
Hello everyone.

My brother's girlfriend is looking for headphones and since I'm a little out of touch with the general headphone market myself I'm asking you guys/gals here for advice.

Budget is € 200,- and the headphones will be bought in/from Austria.

Requirements:

Open, circumaural, need to sound well from a soundcard, no Sennheisers. A long cable would be a plus.

Thanks for any input!

Mar 7, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #25,734 of 29,490
Hello everyone.

My brother's girlfriend is looking for headphones and since I'm a little out of touch with the general headphone market myself I'm asking you guys/gals here for advice.

Budget is € 200,- and the headphones will be bought in/from Austria.

Requirements:

Open, circumaural, need to sound well from a soundcard, no Sennheisers. A long cable would be a plus.

Thanks for any input!
Check out the AKG Q701, she might like those and they meet your criteria.

Mar 7, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #25,736 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Check out the AKG Q701, she might like those and they meet your criteria.

Those seem to be more about € 250 - 300 in Europe. Would you have any idea where they could be found cheaper?

Does her sound card have an amp?  If not, anything in the Q/K 70x line is not a good choice.

Mar 7, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #25,737 of 29,490
[size=10pt]So I'm really interested in getting a long-term pair of headphones after a depressing line of Apple earbuds, $5 Big-Lots in-ear headphones, a pair of bottom-line Koss buds, 2 pairs of Ink'd buds, a pair of iFrogz Ozone w/ mic buds, and probably a couple of other pairs of headphones that I've forgotten, I'm getting tired of throwing away my money, and I have developed a minor hatred for in ear headphones.[/size]

[size=10pt]Ideally I would like (ranked by importance on a scale of 1-10, 1 being more important & 10 being less important)[/size]
[size=10pt]1.DURABLE[/size]
[size=10pt]2.Portable[/size]
[size=10pt]3.Comfortable (I don't have a weird shaped head or anything)[/size]
[size=10pt]3.Good sound for both metal/dubstep* and gaming[/size]
[size=10pt]4.Compatible with Xbox/PC (thoughts on adapters?)[/size]
[size=10pt]4.Gaming/general purpose mic (detachable or stowable)[/size]
[size=10pt]4.Somewhat isolating (so probably closed headphones)[/size]
[size=10pt]5.Possible use with a mobile amp (thoughts?)[/size]
[size=10pt]7.Aesthetics (i know its kinda superficial)[/size]

[size=10pt]*I also listen to a variety of other genres including soundtrack, spoken word (podcasts, youtube vids, etc.), a tiny bit of bluegrass (stuff like Nickle Creek and Mark Kroos), and a healthy dose of alt and punk, but NOT including rap, pop, or hip-hop. I listed metal and dubstep both because they represent the majority of what I listen to and because I'm believe they would be the most technically demanding of my audio intake.[/size]

[size=10pt]I'm really looking for some general feedback on what price range I would be looking at (I don't have a lot of cash but I'm looking into getting a job soon), or if headphones fitting this description even exist. Should I try to get an all in on deal, or should I get some durable headphones for on the go and some better sounding but possibly less sturdy headphones at home? I don't know much at all about sound cards so if its relevant any info on that subject would be appreciated as well.[/size]

[size=10pt]Thanks again![/size]

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #25,739 of 29,490
Quote:
[size=10pt]So I'm really interested in getting a long-term pair of headphones after a depressing line of Apple earbuds, $5 Big-Lots in-ear headphones, a pair of bottom-line Koss buds, 2 pairs of Ink'd buds, a pair of iFrogz Ozone w/ mic buds, and probably a couple of other pairs of headphones that I've forgotten, I'm getting tired of throwing away my money, and I have developed a minor hatred for in ear headphones.[/size]

[size=10pt]Ideally I would like (ranked by importance on a scale of 1-10, 1 being more important & 10 being less important)[/size]
[size=10pt]1.DURABLE[/size]
[size=10pt]2.Portable[/size]
[size=10pt]3.Comfortable (I don't have a weird shaped head or anything)[/size]
[size=10pt]3.Good sound for both metal/dubstep* and gaming[/size]
[size=10pt]4.Compatible with Xbox/PC (thoughts on adapters?)[/size]
[size=10pt]4.Gaming/general purpose mic (detachable or stowable)[/size]
[size=10pt]4.Somewhat isolating (so probably closed headphones)[/size]
[size=10pt]5.Possible use with a mobile amp (thoughts?)[/size]
[size=10pt]7.Aesthetics (i know its kinda superficial)[/size]

[size=10pt]*I also listen to a variety of other genres including soundtrack, spoken word (podcasts, youtube vids, etc.), a tiny bit of bluegrass (stuff like Nickle Creek and Mark Kroos), and a healthy dose of alt and punk, but NOT including rap, pop, or hip-hop. I listed metal and dubstep both because they represent the majority of what I listen to and because I'm believe they would be the most technically demanding of my audio intake.[/size]

[size=10pt]I'm really looking for some general feedback on what price range I would be looking at (I don't have a lot of cash but I'm looking into getting a job soon), or if headphones fitting this description even exist. Should I try to get an all in on deal, or should I get some durable headphones for on the go and some better sounding but possibly less sturdy headphones at home? I don't know much at all about sound cards so if its relevant any info on that subject would be appreciated as well.[/size]

[size=10pt]Thanks again![/size]

The Sennheiser Amperior is the only thing that comes to mind. Highly durable (although the plastic headbands may feel a bit flimsy), portable, easy to drive, stellar sound quality with good bass response, pretty comfortable microvelour padding (more so than the dt1350 and es10), good isolation, comes with an in-line mic, all parts of the headphones are detachable/replaceable, blue aluminum cups certainly don't look bad, and scales well with portable amps. Only problem is that it costs... $350. You can find refurbished ones for $170 or less, however.

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #25,740 of 29,490
Guys, Beyerdynamic DT 770s or the Sennheiser Momentums? 

Weird choice I know, but let me explain. Initially I was going to go for the Sennheisers. Reviews were decent and when I tried a pair in store they were comfortable and sounded crisp. But the price put me off. For desk listening and the occasional long journey, £259 just seemed like a lot.

That's where they Beyers came in. They get glowing praise online and people comment on their comfort, soundstage and bass response. <<Those three things are key. I want headphones that let instrumentals shine but can be aggressive (but not overbearing) when the mood strikes.

Then last week I was given a gift voucher from work to spend in John Lewis who happen to have the Momentums. It knocks their price down to what I'd pay for the Beyers from Amazon.

Bit of background:

-Music collection either FLAC or Apple Lossless or 320kbps.
-Will be listening through my laptop or iPhone.
-I don't have a headphone amp.

Any help much appreciated! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back