++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 6, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #25,711 of 29,490
I've made a couple posts before, but I haven't really gotten much of a response. After weeks of research, I've come to find two headphones around my budget that I'm looking for:
Ultrasone Pro 900 and the Beyerdynamic DT880.

Currently, I'm sporting the AudioTechnica ATH M50. I love it and if there was one thing I could ask for, it would be for more detail and a larger soundstage. My musical preferences range from punk, metal, lo-fi indie rock, and instrumental hip-hop.

Isolation isn't an issue, I have no amps other than my Xonar STX (but willing to purchase amp), I don't plan on using this for anything other than my 320kbps/FLAC music.

Thanks.

Mar 6, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #25,712 of 29,490
I've made a couple posts before, but I haven't really gotten much of a response. After weeks of research, I've come to find two headphones around my budget that I'm looking for:
Ultrasone Pro 900 and the Beyerdynamic DT880.

Currently, I'm sporting the AudioTechnica ATH M50. I love it and if there was one thing I could ask for, it would be for more detail and a larger soundstage. My musical preferences range from punk, metal, lo-fi indie rock, and instrumental hip-hop.

Isolation isn't an issue, I have no amps other than my Xonar STX (but willing to purchase amp), I don't plan on using this for anything other than my 320kbps/FLAC music.

Thanks.

If you like the sound signature of the M50, the DT 990 or Pro 900 is more your can. The DT 880 is much more neutral and balanced.

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #25,713 of 29,490
Budget: I only have about $60 right now but I might be able to save up to around $100 max.
My current headphones still work but they're falling apart, both ear cups broke and easily come out, the pressure of the headband holds them on my head still, but I'd rather not have headphones that could break at any moment and leave me without any decent ones while I wait for shipping. So I CAN wait and save up more but I'd rather not.

Current headphones: JVC HARX-700s
Sound card: Asus Xonar DS

My 700s aren't bad but I play Bf3 competitively so I would like an upgrade for gaming, and as long as it's not a downgrade for music/other stuff it's fine. I mainly listen to Metal.
I wear glasses and I wear my headphones basically all day so they need to be comfortable. These 700s hurt the left side my head (idk why it's only the left, maybe my head is lopsided, lol) after a couple hours unless I adjust my glasses to a place not so optimal for vision.
I'm not exactly sure how much sound leaks from open headphones but I share a room with my brother and I don't want him to be able to hear them from across the room.

Based on the 'OCN's Most Recommended Audio Products'(that's the forum I use the most, I just came here to get some more advice) and some other threads here, I think the Superlux 668Bs or Samson SR850s might be good for me? I like the detachable cable on the Superlux too because every once in a while my dog trys to paw at me and gets his paw caught on my cable and pulls it down.

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #25,714 of 29,490
Quote:
Budget: I only have about $60 right now but I might be able to save up to around $100 max.
My current headphones still work but they're falling apart, both ear cups broke and easily come out, the pressure of the headband holds them on my head still, but I'd rather not have headphones that could break at any moment and leave me without any decent ones while I wait for shipping. So I CAN wait and save up more but I'd rather not.

My 700s aren't bad but I play Bf3 competitively so I would like an upgrade for gaming, and as long as it's not a downgrade for music/other stuff it's fine. I mainly listen to Metal.
I wear glasses and I wear my headphones basically all day so they need to be comfortable. These 700s hurt the left side my head (idk why it's only the left, maybe my head is lopsided, lol) after a couple hours unless I adjust my glasses to a place not so optimal for vision.
I'm not exactly sure how much sound leaks from open headphones but I share a room with my brother and I don't want him to be able to hear them from across the room.

Based on the 'OCN's Most Recommended Audio Products'(that's the forum I use the most, I just came here to get some more advice) and some other threads here, I think the Superlux 668Bs or Samson SR850s might be good for me? I like the detachable cable on the Superlux too because every once in a while my dog trys to paw at me and gets his paw caught on my cable and pulls it down.

Ok, so if im not mistaken those are both open/semi opened cans. So they will definitely leak some sound.'

Allow me just to put you on course, you want something with a good soundstage and good imagining for gaming. I'd say save a bit more and get the srh 840. They're typically around $150 but can be had for less. They are consider some of the best in the price range (and well above). Is you really want to save though, yeah from what I've read you may want to stick with your original two options. 

Oh, and if you just want all out comfort look at sonys XB line. They probably won't be the best for you sonicaly by any means. But by God they're the most comfortable things you could ever put on your head.

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #25,715 of 29,490
Quote:

AKG K550, Shure SHR940 - completely neutral - both great sounding headphones, both have good isolation, K550's has bit more sub bass and better built quality,and its more comfortable. Both fold and don't have coiled cables.

Logitech UE6000 - neutral with slight lift in the bass region, well made, great comfort, excellent sound quality, some say the best for closed headphones under $500.

Sennheiser Amperior - great for rock, sort of V-shaped signature, great isolation, easily powered and portable, but its not full sized as you said.

Sennheiser Momentum - a bit bigger than Amperior, portable, comfy, warm with lots of bass.

Alright, great. So I was looking at the K550 and one reviewer mentioned a pretty bad treble/upper midrange spike. Have you had a similar experience?

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #25,716 of 29,490
If you like the sound signature of the M50, the DT 990 or Pro 900 is more your can.The DT 880 is much more neutral and balanced.
+1 he's definitely a V shape guy

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #25,717 of 29,490
Alright, great. So I was looking at the K550 and one reviewer mentioned a pretty bad treble/upper midrange spike. Have you had a similar experience?
Checkout the beyer DT 770 too

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #25,718 of 29,490
Quote:

If you like the sound signature of the M50, the DT 990 or Pro 900 is more your can.The DT 880 is much more neutral and balanced.

Thanks! Now that the Audio Technica ATH-W1000X is for $400 on the deals thread, would that be a good buy, similar to the DT 990? The InnerFidelity review says that the W1000X is also a "V-shaped" can. 

Mar 7, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #25,719 of 29,490
Quote:
Ok, so if im not mistaken those are both open/semi opened cans. So they will definitely leak some sound.'

Allow me just to put you on course, you want something with a good soundstage and good imagining for gaming. I'd say save a bit more and get the srh 840. They're typically around $150 but can be had for less. They are consider some of the best in the price range (and well above). Is you really want to save though, yeah from what I've read you may want to stick with your original two options. 

Oh, and if you just want all out comfort look at sonys XB line. They probably won't be the best for you sonicaly by any means. But by God they're the most comfortable things you could ever put on your head.

Yes the Superlux are semi open and the Samson are open. I'm not really that concerned with the sound leakage as long as it's not too excessive. It's not like as loud as if I was using speakers is it?
Yeah the 840s are way too much for me. The cheapest I see them is $180 atm. But thanks for the suggestion.

I think I'm just going to order the Superlux unless anyone thinks I shouldn't.

Mar 7, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #25,720 of 29,490
Quote:
Yes the Superlux are semi open and the Samson are open. I'm not really that concerned with the sound leakage as long as it's not too excessive. It's not like as loud as if I was using speakers is it?
Yeah the 840s are way too much for me. The cheapest I see them is $180 atm. But thanks for the suggestion.

I think I'm just going to order the Superlux unless anyone thinks I shouldn't.

AD700 anyone?

Mar 7, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #25,721 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks! Now that the Audio Technica ATH-W1000X is for $400 on the deals thread, would that be a good buy, similar to the DT 990? The InnerFidelity review says that the W1000X is also a "V-shaped" can. 

Not really.  You may have missed this: "the mid-range fairly natural and uncolored" and "The low treble is significantly reduced, but the mid and highest treble ranges are back up to neutral or slightly above."  I hear it as more a colored, not quite neutral-ish, can rather than a classic "V" shaped sound like the M50 or DT 990.  Those looking for a can with a bassy feel will not find it to be satisfying.

Mar 7, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #25,723 of 29,490

Ahh, a fellow Battlefielder. You're in a good position because you already have a decent sound card that you can run Dolby Headphone from, which gives good surround sound for gaming. The other good news is if you're serious about the competitive gaming, it doesn't take much to have the best headphone for it. You'll want to look at the Audio Technica AD700. They're $100 new, but can be found used for $70. For absolute detail whoring and positional audio, it does not get much better than the AD700. They are open so sound is going to leak in and out of them, but there aren't many closed-back cans, and none in your price range, that are going to deliver the sound stage needed for competitive gaming.

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #25,724 of 29,490
Quote:
Ahh, a fellow Battlefielder. You're in a good position because you already have a decent sound card that you can run Dolby Headphone from, which gives good surround sound for gaming. The other good news is if you're serious about the competitive gaming, it doesn't take much to have the best headphone for it. You'll want to look at the Audio Technica AD700. They're $100 new, but can be found used for $70. For absolute detail whoring and positional audio, it does not get much better than the AD700. They are open so sound is going to leak in and out of them, but there aren't many closed-back cans, and none in your price range, that are going to deliver the sound stage needed for competitive gaming.

Will they be a downgrade for music though? Also when I was thinking about getting the Superlux 668B I got attached to the idea of having a detachable cable (lol I made a punny) for the reason I already said about my dog and to make them easily portable without having to redo my desks cable management.
I don't know, I'm considering it because I found some refurbished for $70 though.

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #25,725 of 29,490
Will they be a downgrade for music though? Also when I was thinking about getting the Superlux 668B I got attached to the idea of having a detachable cable (lol I made a punny) for the reason I already said about my dog and to make them easily portable without having to redo my desks cable management.
I don't know, I'm considering it because I found some refurbished for $70 though.

I don't know much about your current JVC cans, but I really don't see how the AD700 would be a downgrade from them. That's really dependent on what kind of signature you want. It is true the AD700 lacks low end and they won't shine on music that is bass heavy, but they are still widely considered to be the gateway drug into the audiophile world for a reason. I don't know enough about the Superlux to speak to those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back