++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 1, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #25,531 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Why on earth are you looking at a 600 ohm headphone for your iPhone? They do make portable amps, but 600 ohms is a lot. Why aren't you checking out the 32 ohm version of the DT 880? Everything I've read makes is sound like the differences are so incredibly small.

Exactly! My point is I don't know where the boundaries lie or even the potential consequences. I know I've seen more blown speakers from under powering than over powering. Does the same hold true for headphones? Actually, the part about hooking up the Beyers to the iPhone is kind of moot now. My routine had been to read in the living away from my office and stereo with music playing from my phone. Now there is a Logitech Squeezebox in the living room which replaces the iPhone but for all I know it might have even less oomph than the iPhone. I know that both iPhone and Squeezebox drive my AT ESW9 adequately but I don't know the boundaries from there on. I used the Beyers because I think the are probably at the extreme for power consumption for anything I've considered to date but I don't even know that for sure.

I have not heard of the iPhone blowing out many headphones.  Fact is you need to do some research about matching your amping source (e.g. iPhone) with your speakers (e.g. headphones).  The buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread can help you.  A can rated a "1" will certainly work unamped from your iPhone.  A "2" may or may not, but certainly will with a decent portable.

As a rule of thumb, try to avoid all cans rated at over 250 Ohms, regardless of whether you have a portable amp or not.  Trying to marry a 600 Ohm can to an iPhone is like taking a 3 wood to the putting green.  It's the wrong tool for the job.  The DT 880 (+/-) can be had in 250 and less Ohm versions.

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #25,532 of 29,490
Okay now I'm sorta feeling these different positioning on my head and more hours of listening to the  HFI-580s, I can tell they have a more controlled bass than the m50s. But still looking into the Vmoda M100s and Sennheiser Momentum or wondering if I should grab an amp and keep these HFI-580s?

Just don't want to get the amp and say wow these headphones are great and miss out on something better. Mostly shinning in my hip hop instrumentals with some dnb. Not doing so well in the classical/rock section.

Mar 1, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #25,533 of 29,490
Exactly! My point is I don't know where the boundaries lie or even the potential consequences. I know I've seen more blown speakers from under powering than over powering. Does the same hold true for headphones? Actually, the part about hooking up the Beyers to the iPhone is kind of moot now. My routine had been to read in the living away from my office and stereo with music playing from my phone. Now there is a Logitech Squeezebox in the living room which replaces the iPhone but for all I know it might have even less oomph than the iPhone. I know that both iPhone and Squeezebox drive my AT ESW9 adequately but I don't know the boundaries from there on. I used the Beyers because I think the are probably at the extreme for power consumption for anything I've considered to date but I don't even know that for sure.

I would say that an iPhone can only handle about 80ohm's. Even then, at 80 ohm's the headphones will sound way better with an amp. I'd honestly get an amp if you are going to buy headphones over 40 ohms.

Mar 1, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #25,534 of 29,490
Europe is a big place, and contains many different markets.  I was going for your country.  The Euro thing already clued me into your continent.

I suggest that you study the buying guides that are linked in the opening post of this thread.  After you have done so, tell us which cans in your price range best appear to meet your needs and why.  My guess is that you are looking for another pair of bass heavy cans, but which may be tighter and perhaps not dominate the rest of the frequency range as much as the ones you already have.

I'll order somewhere inside the EU, just a matter of shipping costs.:cool:
I've already done some research, but I'll have to do more. There are just sooo many headphones!:xf_eek: I'll. post again, when I know what exact models seem good.
Oh, and I definitely DON'T want any bassy headphones, I want something clear and balanced.

Mar 1, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #25,535 of 29,490
Quote:
Check out Sol Republic HD. Best Buy has them in our area. On ear though, not over ear.

Quote:
hey guys what's up i'm new here so let me put out a little history. 

i've had ultimate ears 700s which i loved but i felt they lacked in the mid bass bass area

currently have beats solo's but the sq is nowhere near that of the ue 700s

I'm hoping for some help on finding an over ear setup with closed cans that will give me at least the sq of the ue 700 or better, and the bass output of the beats studios and the like. i'm not familiar with brands of headphones but i know sq as i'm big on it with car audio. so any help would be appreciated. and i know this is the wrong forum but if you could also recommend an ear bud setup similar to my requests while being as comfortable as the ue 700 it would be greatly appreciated. i'm hoping to keep it under $150 for each but if its only a few bucks more for that much of a greater product i'd consider shelling out the extra cash. oh yeah and i primarily listen to hip hop, spanish, dubstep and looking for them to be portable.  Thanks

are there any other suggestions or is this a good as it gets for the price range?

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #25,536 of 29,490
So, you guys have suggested that I get new cans with a different sound signature in order to alleviate my problem of vocals getting drowned out on the Jpop songs I listen to. Any recommendations for such cans that can emphasize vocals more? I'd like two recommendations: a closed set and an open set, both for clean vocals.

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #25,537 of 29,490
I'm listening to the HFI 780's...and they are decent for vocals and metal. They sound great, as they are a clear upgrade from the M50's...less muffled because the bass isn't taking over the song. Any more recommendations for femal vocals/metal headphones? In the 200 price range.

Mar 1, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #25,538 of 29,490
Quote:
Well time to introduce myself to this forum by asking a question. I wanna buy a pair of headphones and i could use some suggestions. The fact is I want to use them at work as well but part of my job consists in conf-calls so i would need a microphone as well. I could go for a headset but it wouldn't be too practical for me. So the question is what headphones with an inline mic would you recommend me. Also i am wondering for a pair of headphones with a detachable cable could it be possible to swith the default cable with a cable that has an inline mic? I know for example that Bose is selling cables like this for their QC15 headphones. I want the headphones for the audio quality, but the microphone feature is also very important for me and i would not want to spend big bucks on a pair of headphones like Bose QC15. Really hope that someone could help me

Nobody able to help me with this one?

Mar 1, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #25,539 of 29,490
Nobody able to help me with this one?
That's alot to ask of a headphone under $200. Maybe a gaming headset could work for you. Im thinking Razer and Logitech brands.

Mar 1, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #25,540 of 29,490
I think I've found something I could like. Like I said, what I'd like is clear instruments and vocals for country/pop. Besides that, low volume performance and soundstage really matter.
So, Lasmex-h75, anyone?
It has top notch reviews and seems to be what I want. It is open, so it'll leak a lot, but that usually means better soundstage,right?
I really hope someone here owns them and can give me a little info on them.How easily are they driven? Thanks in advance!

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #25,541 of 29,490
Quote:
Well time to introduce myself to this forum by asking a question. I wanna buy a pair of headphones and i could use some suggestions. The fact is I want to use them at work as well but part of my job consists in conf-calls so i would need a microphone as well. I could go for a headset but it wouldn't be too practical for me. So the question is what headphones with an inline mic would you recommend me. Also i am wondering for a pair of headphones with a detachable cable could it be possible to swith the default cable with a cable that has an inline mic? I know for example that Bose is selling cables like this for their QC15 headphones. I want the headphones for the audio quality, but the microphone feature is also very important for me and i would not want to spend big bucks on a pair of headphones like Bose QC15. Really hope that someone could help me

The V-Moda Crossfade M-80 is suppose to be a very good can for the price and it comes with two detachable cables, one with an inline mic. It's been going on sale a lot this week for under $150. Check out the review and the price. It's not a bad place to start.

Mar 1, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #25,542 of 29,490
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-XB600-Driver-Premium-Headphones/dp/B009A6CZYY/ref=xs_gb_A2BK0SGYIDUNCV?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=441937901&pf_rd_s=right-1&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1X8KXQAHBP9JJXF1VGAJ

Sony MDR-XB600 Extra Bass 40mm Driver Premium Headphones

Is this headphone worth $40?

Mar 1, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #25,543 of 29,490
Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-XB600-Driver-Premium-Headphones/dp/B009A6CZYY/ref=xs_gb_A2BK0SGYIDUNCV?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=441937901&pf_rd_s=right-1&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1X8KXQAHBP9JJXF1VGAJ

Sony MDR-XB600 Extra Bass 40mm Driver Premium Headphones

Is this headphone worth $40?

It's the on ear version of the xb500, I  would prefer the regular full size version i.e the xb500.

Mar 2, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #25,545 of 29,490
I have too little comparison, but as a casual listener, I could say that the xb500's are good headphones if you like a lot of bass. They are really easily driven,sound very warm and are super comfortable... :) Be aware that it WILL cut off a lot of the higher frequencies and overpronounce the lower mids. You can eq that, atleast to some extent, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back