++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 27, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #25,456 of 29,490
Quote:
cool, i'll def look into that. has anyone tried the M-Audio Studiophile Q40 or the Pioneer HDJ-2000? hahaha I rmb reading somewhere that Val (the ceo of vmoda) prefers the pioneers after his own stuff so the sound signature has to be similar right? lol

I came to the M100's from the Q40s and they are a very, very good headphone for the price. I would be putting my money back into a pair of them if I had to sell the M100's.

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #25,457 of 29,490
Hy guys I posted yesterday and was recommended quite a few cans, the ath m50 in particular seemed to be a popular choice. However it seems its agreed that the mids are recessed . I noticed a cheap pair at the beginning of the thread the monoprice 8323. Thoughts? Are they comfortable? Should I stop being cheap and spring for a better pair lol. These are for rock music by the way and they need to be closed and I don't use an amp and mostly listen to mp3s on my iPod

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #25,459 of 29,490
Hi guys,
 I am pulling the trigger on a pair of dt 770's(250ohm) and a ODAC mainly will be used for rap hip/hop electronic, techno and some rock please tell me if i am doing it wrong?. My budget is 400$ if maxed it would be 420$.. will be getting an amp for them later, mainly i have heard they have not that sharp of highs which i like i like kind of rolled off highs with good amount of tight bass. PLEASE HELP A NOOB OUT! 

Also had interest in the M100 aswell. 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #25,460 of 29,490
Quote:
And I want an even sound, as the song is supposed to sound.how it was originally mixed and mastered. Comfort is important too

Yes, you should stop being so cheap, if your sound signature goal is as you stated.  The Monoprice full sized can will give you a good frequency response range, especially for its price.  However, the sound that is presented is very colored and just...well it's just off what it should be.

Absent a close out sale (and ignoring amping issues) about $50 is the bare minimum you can spend and get an entry level quality can that has anything approaching a balanced, although probably not neutral, sound.  Going to $75 or $100 gives you choices and increased quality.

Feb 27, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #25,462 of 29,490
Have you heard planar magnetics (Audez'e, HiFiMan, Mad Dogs)?  What a jump in sound - and a Schiit Magni powers them well.

Feb 27, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #25,463 of 29,490
Quote:
Also, I am actually really really curious why people hate so hard on the Beats saying they are overpriced bass-monsters, but say the M100 is a great value when the M100s are the same $300 for really bass-heavy sound. I legit sat down with the Beats Studio & the M100 for 8 hours straight comparing them and objectively difference seemed very small to me. It didn't sound terrible or worse, just different. After 2 months of heavy listening to the M100, I feel like I can finally appreciate the "sonic upgrade" of the M100, but man, I was definitely expecting a more night vs day type difference from the way people talk.

My DJ/producer musician friend says that after listening to something more studio-quality & treble-focused like the AKG K550 & Q701, all bass-emphasized headphones sound muddy to him. After he tried my M100, he said good isolation & bass, but he kinda of threw the M100 into the same category as the Beats not as an insult, but just to describe the bass-heavy nature. He also seemed to insinuate that if you wanted to drop $300 on bass, the Beats are fine (lol which would be blasphemy on these forums) as they could out-bass any other headphones & dubwubwub bass-out so hard that the cables rattle hahah (he said that positively but I'm sure people here would say bad microphonics lol). Of course, he's def treble-head & audiophile as he raves about soundstage, clarity, precision, the sparkles & detail of treble, saying the detail there is what makes/breaks a song. Just curious if anyone could enlighten me on this issue.

Do I have to train my ear or something to really tell the difference? I mean I can immediately tell when a song isn't at least 320kbps, but w/ all the different headphones I tried I can't hear all these coolio audiophile sonic differences that people throw out there :frowning2:

Its all relative to the kind of music you listen too...I cannot stand flat cans for EDM, half the song is missing somewhere. Where as if you listened to something that was recorded with vocals...and real instruments then yes flat cans would be ideal...

Feb 27, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #25,464 of 29,490
I cant stand my HD 448's. They have a balanced response with good mids but no bass...and I just can't stand them for EDM. You see what im getting at?

Feb 27, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #25,466 of 29,490
Quote:
I cant stand my HD 448's. They have a balanced response with good mids but no bass...and I just can't stand them for EDM. You see what im getting at?

There is not such thing as a balanced can with no bass--unless it also has no treble.  In such case it's just bad--and hopefully very cheap.

Feb 27, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #25,467 of 29,490
 Hi everyone, I'm here askin if there are better full-sized headphones than Denon D600?
I'll use that headphones when traveling, so isolation and portability are needed.
Budget: $600  Must be comfortable to wear btw.
Thanks

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #25,468 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys,
 I am pulling the trigger on a pair of dt 770's(250ohm) and a ODAC mainly will be used for rap hip/hop electronic, techno and some rock please tell me if i am doing it wrong?. My budget is 400$ if maxed it would be 420$.. will be getting an amp for them later, mainly i have heard they have not that sharp of highs which i like i like kind of rolled off highs with good amount of tight bass. PLEASE HELP A NOOB OUT! 

Also had interest in the M100 aswell. 
rolleyes.gif

Bumping it. any help would be appreciated

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #25,469 of 29,490
You have my seal of approval, except you desperately need an amp. A tube amp is much prefferred because its 250 ohms. I would recommend the Bravo Audio V2 tube amp for ~$75 if you can squeeze it into your budget. That's pretty much your cheapest/best quality tube amp you can buy.

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #25,470 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

You have my seal of approval, except you desperately need an amp. A tube amp is much prefferred because its 250 ohms. I would recommend the Bravo Audio V2 tube amp for ~$75 if you can squeeze it into your budget. That's pretty much your cheapest/best quality tube amp you can buy.

Do you means a tube amp is preferred because of the sound signature of this particular can?

If not--then many a solid state or hybrid amp out there that can easily push a 250 Ohm can with a sensitivity rating of on or about 96 dB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back