++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 26, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #25,426 of 29,490
Quote:
And yeah I really need closed around the ear phones so people on the train can't hear that well since I do like to crank it up a bit

Yeah, the Grado SR80i wouldn't do it for you then (shame too, as they are great for everything else said). I'd second the M50 suggestion if you can find on sale (and even if you can't - great starting closed-back headphone).

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #25,427 of 29,490
What sets those apart from the rest? Also it says they were designed for monitoring and mixing?

They are very comfortable, has accurate sound (true to the recording), closed cans so people around you wont be bothered and youre also isolated from them. They can also fold up into a compact and transportable shape, the ear cups swivel 180 degrees so u can move one to the side to talk on the phone. The grados are a good choice too, but they are open, which means youll hear the noise from the train and people around you will hear the music, plus they arent that comfy.

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #25,428 of 29,490
Quote:
What sets those apart from the rest? Also it says they were designed for monitoring and mixing?

They have very forward mids making  guitars and vocals cut through like butter. The highs are very extended making cymbal crashes sound very life like. Also, the bass isn't extremely prominent,, but extremely clean. This makes drums sound clear but no the focus of the music. If you do a bit more research you'll find that many people agree with me about the price/quality ratio.

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #25,429 of 29,490
At the $300ish price range for a closed portable set of headphones, I was comparing V-Moda M100, Sony MDR-1R, Sennheiser Momentum, and the AKG K550/K551.

I had the M100 & really really really really loved it, but comfort was an issue for me :frowning2: If you want to try the M100, there is a nice 60 day return window.

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #25,431 of 29,490
Not sure how to start this so I'll just keep it short and sweet, I'm looking for the best headphones I can get for my preferences under  200 usd. I'm a bit tied between the HD 598 (like new condition for about $180 on amazon) the ath-m50s, and the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 ohm version. I like most genres of music, the main ones being eletronic, club/dance, pop, and a bit of acoustic/classical (not country). I've heard that the HD 598 lacks bass (was my primary choice), which I do quite like but I wouldn't consider myself a "basshead". in other words, I'm looking for a good bass response that doesn't drown out the mids and highs. I also like to game a lot so a decent soundstage would be nice! I have a titanium HD dedicated soundcard, so hopefully I don't have to worry about an amp. that's about all I can think of, let me know if there is any more information you would like to know to determine the best choice.

Thanks guys 
size]

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #25,432 of 29,490
I don't feel like making a new thread for this, so maybe someone here can answer it [although I have my doubts].

Why do the different ohm versions of the DT 880 have similar power requirements to reach 90 dB SPL according to InnerFidelity's measurements? One would think the 600 ohm version would need significantly more power than the 32 ohm version.

On a related topic, if I were to buy the DT 880, and I'll be using it with an O2, which version should I get?

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #25,433 of 29,490
Hi I am looking at new cans for listening to metal music. I like to have the mids louder than everything, and with a very strong treble as well. Bass is also important to me, but not as much as mids. I can go up to about $300... but if theres something thats like waaay better than everything else for about $350, I wouldn't mind going a little higher. They can be open or closed, but comfort is very important to me. I have been looking at the V-Moda M100's, but I have heard denon is really good too. What do you guys think I should consider?

bump:/

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #25,434 of 29,490
Hello All,First Post on these forums.

I've been shopping around for a new set off Headphones..My First venture into the audiophile world landed me the Audio Technia M50's. I do like them for certain types of music (Techno,Some Dubstep). I find Myself not to happy with them for my main music taste which is Rock/Different genres of metal/Alternative. The M50s just seem to "muddy" up the guitars..which is my favorite aspect.

I know from researching, Grados would probably be good for my tastes,but after trying some on,they just don't seem to be my cup of tea. I really like the feel of circumaural headphones. I generally game while listening to music,for long periods so comfort is something I'm concerned with. I also tend to lean to an open headphone,as i love sound-stage. I will be in my man cave,and the phones will stay on my desk so sound leaking is not a problem. I will also be using them primarily through my PC,I have a Xonar D1 Pushing my M50's, I Would Not Be opposed to getting an Amp.

My Budget Is Around 300. i could Push to 350 for amp/headphone Combo. I'm Looking for Tight Punchy bass,Fast Enough for Detailed Double Bass Petals/Detailed bass guitar. My Main Concern Is Getting Detail From the guitars/vocals,the M50s just seem to make power cords kinda sound muddy,No Detail (I'm guessing this would Mean forward mids. I Listen to my Music kind of High so a non-fatigue treble would help.

Any help is much appreciated. 

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #25,435 of 29,490
Everything sounds great about those so far except I am a drummer and though i dont want a heavy bass sound I won't want drums and bass taking a backseat either . Would this be the case?

Drums are still there and clear. They just aren't the center of attention. The drum rolls in "Tom Sawyer" by Rush are there and don't feel as if it is lacking. If you need a closed can the shure srh440 is always a great choice.

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #25,436 of 29,490
Quote:
hey guys just signed up for this site because I am looking for my first good set of over ear headphones. I listen to rock music almost exclusively everything from the Beatles to nirvana to radiohead to brand new etc. I don't want to be drowned in bass. I want something relatively affordable like under 100 bucks but I will be using these for hopefully the next decade. Comfort is important and also maybe something others on the train won't be able to hear as much.

Will you be using an amp? (At this point I'm assuming that you are not.)

I think that you would benefit by checking out the buying guides that are linked in the opening post of this thread.  The M50 that some have mentioned is quite popular, especially when they can be picked up for about $100.  It's downside is that is has recessed mids, which in rock means recessed guitars and vocals.  I prefer the more balanced sound signature of the cheaper CAL!.  However, the CAL! is not made to be crammed in a backpack with a bunch of other stuff.  I also like the Sony DR-ZX701IP and (sibling) Sony MDR-ZX700, although those into bass will not.  You can read more about all of their respective reviews at Inner Fidelity.

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #25,437 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi I am looking at new cans for listening to metal music. I like to have the mids louder than everything, and with a very strong treble as well. Bass is also important to me, but not as much as mids. I can go up to about $300... but if theres something thats like waaay better than everything else for about $350, I wouldn't mind going a little higher. They can be open or closed, but comfort is very important to me. I have been looking at the V-Moda M100's, but I have heard denon is really good too. What do you guys think I should consider?

The cans you mentioned lean to a bassy sound signature.

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Once again I’ll mention that headphone comfort is a very individual thing.  We can point you to headphones that are generally considered to be comfortable and mention others that have garnered complaints for being uncomfortable (like the V-Modas).  However, the only way to know for sure is to wear them yourself for a time equivalent to your longest listening session.

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #25,438 of 29,490
Quote:
Not sure how to start this so I'll just keep it short and sweet, I'm looking for the best headphones I can get for my preferences under  200 usd. I'm a bit tied between the HD 598 (like new condition for about $180 on amazon) the ath-m50s, and the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 ohm version. I like most genres of music, the main ones being eletronic, club/dance, pop, and a bit of acoustic/classical (not country). I've heard that the HD 598 lacks bass (was my primary choice), which I do quite like but I wouldn't consider myself a "basshead". in other words, I'm looking for a good bass response that doesn't drown out the mids and highs. I also like to game a lot so a decent soundstage would be nice! I have a titanium HD dedicated soundcard, so hopefully I don't have to worry about an amp. that's about all I can think of, let me know if there is any more information you would like to know to determine the best choice.

Thanks guys 
size]

The HD 598 only lacks bass if you like bass enhanced headphones.  It is open and balanced, unlike the other two cans you mentioned--which are closed and have recessed mids and are also bassy.  Being open, the HD 598 also has a much bigger and better sound stage than the closed cans.  What the HD 598 won't give you is slam and speed.

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #25,439 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for my mistake in the original post - I meant that I own the SR125i. 

As for the sound signature - neutral, almost monitor quality I would say but not clinical. It may err lightly on the side of warmth. Also, I may consider tube amplification if the earphone itself is a bit dry in the sound. I am not a bass head and will rarely listen to bass heavy material - I also get the feeling when listening to music that bass heaviness makes some phones sound sluggish. 

Many years ago  I had the chance of listening to an old pair of STAX and was amazed with the efortlessness of their sound. It was a special bi-aural recording demo disk though so I am not sure how representative it was of real usage. If I could summarize my quest it is having sound that is effortless from the earphones - a sound I could critically listen to when I want to or just let it stream music while working.

I have read the some of the thread you posted - thanks for the information. I guess I should just go and listen but I have no place to listen to the Audeze 2 and the  more expensive phones in.

Regards,
Dotan

While there is no substitute for hearing a can yourself, both the HE 500 and LCD-2 are the objective of many quality reviews.  They should give you a sense of each and the differences between them.  If it's any help, both are outstanding cans and have high resale values.

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #25,440 of 29,490
Hello All,First Post on these forums.

I've been shopping around for a new set off Headphones..My First venture into the audiophile world landed me the Audio Technia M50's. I do like them for certain types of music (Techno,Some Dubstep). I find Myself not to happy with them for my main music taste which is Rock/Different genres of metal/Alternative. The M50s just seem to "muddy" up the guitars..which is my favorite aspect.

I know from researching, Grados would probably be good for my tastes,but after trying some on,they just don't seem to be my cup of tea. I really like the feel of circumaural headphones. I generally game while listening to music,for long periods so comfort is something I'm concerned with. I also tend to lean to an open headphone,as i love sound-stage. I will be in my man cave,and the phones will stay on my desk so sound leaking is not a problem. I will also be using them primarily through my PC,I have a Xonar D1 Pushing my M50's, I Would Not Be opposed to getting an Amp.

My Budget Is Around 300. i could Push to 350 for amp/headphone Combo. I'm Looking for Tight Punchy bass,Fast Enough for Detailed Double Bass Petals/Detailed bass guitar. My Main Concern Is Getting Detail From the guitars/vocals,the M50s just seem to make power cords kinda sound muddy,No Detail (I'm guessing this would Mean forward mids. I Listen to my Music kind of High so a non-fatigue treble would help.

Any help is much appreciated. 
Ok it looks like youre really after something very detailed yet smooth on the treble. I would recommend the AKG Q701. Upgrade to an amp when you get the funds as they wont sound their best till then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back