++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 26, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #25,411 of 29,490
Quote:
In discussions about basshead lite cans within its price range, I have said that the HiFi 780 was more neutral and balanced.  However, that that context is an important qualifier.

Yeah I know you said that in the context of basshead-type recommendations but he seems pretty dead set on Ultrasones and said he didn't want recommendations for other brands so I figured your advice on the HFI 780 was the best I could pass along. :) It does seem a bit strange to be looking into Ultrasones when you want the kind of sound signature he wants but oh well.

Feb 26, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #25,412 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
The Sony MDR-CD900ST (but has thin ear pads) and Sony MDR-7510 & 7520.  Only the more expensive 7520 has a removable cable.

And these are recommended for the more analytical can or the more colored can?

These are all studio cans--so analytical or at least accurate.

Feb 26, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #25,413 of 29,490
i am having some trouble with my akg k702s, great headphones, but i have read all over that they are incredibly difficult to drive and take alot of power.  these are my first pair of decent headphones and i really dont know much about this kind of thing.  i dont have the money for an amp right now, i spent it all on the headphones.  what would be your reccomendations for what i should do to drive them at an acceptable volume level?  is there anyway i could rig something up like an amp that only boosts power output?  also what kind of specs should i look for on an amp for these when i get a little more money?

Feb 26, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #25,414 of 29,490
Would it be a bad move if I went for the 80ohm instead of the 32ohm? I even considered the 250ohm at one time, but have settled on the 80 after reading many other reviews and comments throughout the site. I just wondered your input on the 80's brunk
I would advise against it, you'll just be wearing down the e11's small battery that much faster with the higher impedance swing the 80's give you.

Fiio E11 Output Power > 180 mW@32Ω

Beyerdynamic DT770LE Power Handling Capacity = 100mW

Headroom = 80mW

That's exactly the numbers youre looking for, and the E11 has plenty voltage swing to make these babies sing full throttle.

Here's a perfect review you're looking for by Dalethorn, who's also a headfi member:

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 32 ohm Limited Edition stereo headphone review by Dale, January 13, 2013
By
Dale Thorn (Seal Beach CA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Beyerdynamic: DT-770-Pro Studio Headphones - Limited Edition, 32 OHMS
Sources: iPhone4 alone, iPhone4 with FiiO E17 using LOD, various computers using Audioengine D1 DAC and the D1's headphone out.

First impression of the Beyer DT770LE: Dark and slightly cavernous sound, and a bit crispy on the high end. This is the first headphone I've had that changed signature significantly with different amping. From iPod or iPhone, refer to first impression. Using my small analog amps from the iPod/iPhone LOD, it was the same or worse. Switching to the Dragonfly or Audioengine D1 DAC/amps, the sound became just right from the deep bass up through the lower treble, with just a little sibilance and zing on the top end. The most comparable headphone I have on hand is the v-moda M100, and with both played flat (no EQ), the DT770LE had a clearer midrange with just a tinge of that hollow/cavern sound. The M100 sounded more in-my-face in the vocal range oddly enough, given that the mids are usually reported as recessed when played flat. Basically, the M100's mids are tilted toward the higher end and the DT770LE's mids are tipped toward the lower end, giving the DT770LE a darker overall sound.

In summary, the DT770LE has a strong bass that plays well with the DAC's I mentioned above, and while I can't be sure that it will be acceptable to the so-called bassheads out there, it has to be pretty close since the bass has excellent impact, which a lot of popular headphones don't have, especially the fashion brands. The DT770LE's midrange is clean and clear, but biased toward dark as noted above. People who are sensitive toward sibilants or other high-frequency problems will probably give this headphone a pass, unless they're OK with adjusting the treble to get a better response. I created an adjustment, a gentle dip with settings of -2 db at 5 khz, -4 db at 7 khz, and -2 db at 10 khz, and that took the edge off for me, leaving a nicely detailed treble that's eminently musical. The DT770LE's soundstage seems about average for a full-size closed headphone, which is to say, the better the music track the better it sounds and vice-versa.

Isolation is high - over 12 db I'd guess, and leakage very low too. If the DT770LE were used in a quiet office next to someone's cubicle, they wouldn't be disturbed unless the listening volume were fairly loud. The DT770LE appears to be all plastic except for the metal headband, has good build quality, is fairly light for a full size headphone, and very comfortable with light clamping force and nothing that would press on outer ear parts. The earpads appear to be low-cost plastic over a spongy material - not the best such plastic I've seen, but much better quality than what Sennheiser uses with their HD280 and PX200ii headphones. The earcups don't rotate and don't pull down far enough for ideal portable use, the cable isn't detachable, and there are no carrycases I can find that are made specifically for the DT770LE, to minimize carry size. Efficiency of the DT770LE is good enough to play most music tracks loudly on iPods and iPhones, so probably not an issue for other music players.

In two previous reviews I've included the following music examples with comments about how the headphones sound with each track. My suggestion is instead of reading each one as an absolute unto itself, you could compare my notes here to those other reviews and see how the DT770LE compares with each individual track. Note that the comments below apply to the DT770LE's sound played with the EQ I described above, since the difference between flat and EQ'd is the difference between borderline acceptable and extremely enjoyable. I'm going to go farther with this and say that even if this isn't the best sound I've ever had in the house, it has to be pretty close. I've come to favor the darker tonalities of this type of headphone over the "neutral/accurate" signatures of headphones like the Sennheiser HD800, which I used for 3 years.

Animotion - Obsession (1980's New Wave/Techno): The upper bass synth has very good detail and tone, and both male and female vocals sound natural, without favoring either. The DT770LE plays this perfectly.

Ben Heit Quartet - Suite-Magnet and Iron (Jazz with a Bebop flavor): The piano that leads off sounds realistic and the saxophone sounds appropriately soft. Overall, the DT770LE plays this music extremely well.

Cath Carroll - Moves Like You (1980's New Wave/Techno): This track's percussion and voice are crisp and well-balanced, and there's a good sense of space or soundstage around the voices and instruments. The DT770LE reproduces the space and detail convincingly.

Chromatics - I'm On Fire (Synth-Pop, female lead): This track has a good amount of space around the voice and instruments, making for a very pleasant stereo image. The voice is excellent, and the tambourine(?) sounds just right.

Crystal Castles - Wrath of God (Electro-Pop): The bass in this track has a strong impact but little detail, while the ambient electronic effects are clear and distinct. The DT770LE plays this track very well given the limited quality of the recording.

DJ Shadow - Building Steam With a Grain of Salt (Electronic/DJ): This track opens with what sounds like very high and very low piano notes, and the DT770LE renders those notes well. The ambient voices are slightly indistinct though.

Franz Ferdinand - Ulysses (Pop-Rock): The moderate level of bass in this track is played with good detail by the DT770LE, and the percussion and voice are crisp and well-balanced. This track has a huge amount of high-frequency energy, but it didn't become irritating for me.

Halie Loren - Sway (Jazz vocal): Bass instrument(s) here may sound boomy with some headphones, but the DT770LE handles this pretty well. The trumpet sounds natural but soft, and the voice is done just right.

Hans Zimmer - Dark Knight-Aggressive Expansion (Soundtrack): The percussion in this track hits really hard, and the bass tones beginning around 0:45 have the ultra-deep "shuddery" kind of sound and feel that indicates a good deep-bass response. Overall, the DT770LE plays this music extremely well.

Kaskade - 4am (Electro-House): The bass that kicks in around 1:01 into the track is subtle, but the DT770LE plays it well. The percussion and female voice balance well with neither overwriting the other - the DT770LE gets this right.

Katy B - Perfect Stranger (R&B-House-Garage): The heavy bass that begins at 0:27 into this track is played very well by the DT770LE. The voice is slightly forward, but it doesn't overpower the instruments or get lost in the mix. The DT770LE balances the different elements in this music very well.

Machine Gun Kelly - All We Have (Rap/Hip-Hop): The heavy bass beats that begin at 0:23 into the track do sound like drum impacts, although they're not sharp impacts. The male and female voices have a good balance, and the DT770LE plays this about as good as can be expected given the limited quality of the recording.

Massive Attack - Angel (Trip-Hop): This track begins with a steady low-frequency sound and some slightly soft deep-bass impacts. The voices blend well with the music and have just the right presence, although the recorded quality of the instruments isn't great. The DT770LE plays this about as good as can be expected given the limited quality of the recording.

Morcheeba - Bullet Proof (Trip-Hop): Bright percussion and medium-strength bass impacts make up most of this, with some dance-club spoken intonations thrown in. The DT770LE plays the percussion pretty well, and the voices sound good too.

Peter Tosh - Get Up Stand Up (Reggae): The bass here has a decent but moderate impact, and the lead and backup voices have good separation that's not too narrow or wide. The DT770LE renders the bass with good detail and the voices sound very natural.

Porcupine Tree - Trains (Pop-Rock): This track opens with some nicely-detailed string sounds and a forward-sounding male voice with a higher-than-average register. There are a series of "clip-clop" effects starting at 3:19 that may lack clarity and proper harmonic detail on some headphones, but the DT770LE reproduces those effects well.

Rachmaninoff - Prelude in C-Sharp Minor Op3 No2 (Classical, Piano): Grand piano played mechanically from an original recording by the master himself. The bass is unusually light here, but the DT770LE renders the notes as well as can be expected given the limited quality of the recording.

Scarlatti-Kipnis - Sonata in E Major K381 (Classical, Harpsichord): The harpsichord here is fairly bright and highly detailed, and the DT770LE renders the tones and transients superbly.

Trombone Shorty - Backatown (Jazz-Funk): The deep bass impacts here are unusually strong, and work very well with the horns and other instruments. The DT770LE delivers the impacts with proper weight and great detail, and the horns have the kind of bite that gives them a wonderfully realistic sound.

William Orbit - Optical Illusion (Billy Buttons Mix) (Electronic): This is about as close as I want to get to easy-listening music. The string(?) tones beginning at 0:18 have appreciable detail, and while the bass isn't very strong, it still adds a good underpinning to the music. The short poetic rap at 4:14, preceded by an etherial female voice, works very well with this track.

Feb 26, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #25,415 of 29,490
Quote:
i am having some trouble with my akg k702s, great headphones, but i have read all over that they are incredibly difficult to drive and take alot of power.  these are my first pair of decent headphones and i really dont know much about this kind of thing.  i dont have the money for an amp right now, i spent it all on the headphones.  what would be your reccomendations for what i should do to drive them at an acceptable volume level?  is there anyway i could rig something up like an amp that only boosts power output?  also what kind of specs should i look for on an amp for these when i get a little more money?

I suggest that you go to the appreciation thread for these cans and discuss it with your fellow owners.

These are not exactly the HE 6 in terms of difficulty to drive, but they they do need an amp--and it's not just about volume.  The K 702 probably works much better with some amps than with others, especially when you start talking about desktop amps.

Feb 26, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #25,417 of 29,490
Quote:

I power my K702 with a FiiO E09K which seems to be more than adequate. It sounds incredibly strong and accurate.

Feb 26, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #25,418 of 29,490
Hi I am looking at new cans for listening to metal music. I like to have the mids louder than everything, and with a very strong treble as well. Bass is also important to me, but not as much as mids. I can go up to about $300... but if theres something thats like waaay better than everything else for about $350, I wouldn't mind going a little higher. They can be open or closed, but comfort is very important to me. I have been looking at the V-Moda M100's, but I have heard denon is really good too. What do you guys think I should consider?

Feb 26, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #25,419 of 29,490
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for my mistake in the original post - I meant that I own the SR125i. 

As for the sound signature - neutral, almost monitor quality I would say but not clinical. It may err lightly on the side of warmth. Also, I may consider tube amplification if the earphone itself is a bit dry in the sound. I am not a bass head and will rarely listen to bass heavy material - I also get the feeling when listening to music that bass heaviness makes some phones sound sluggish. 

Many years ago  I had the chance of listening to an old pair of STAX and was amazed with the efortlessness of their sound. It was a special bi-aural recording demo disk though so I am not sure how representative it was of real usage. If I could summarize my quest it is having sound that is effortless from the earphones - a sound I could critically listen to when I want to or just let it stream music while working.

I have read the some of the thread you posted - thanks for the information. I guess I should just go and listen but I have no place to listen to the Audeze 2 and the  more expensive phones in.

Regards,
Dotan

Feb 26, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #25,420 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello all!

I just joined and this is my first post here - I've spent the last couple of hours googling for a decent set of head phones. Pah.

Wireless is a must, as is the ability to cut out all (or as  much as possible) noise from the surrounding environment such as people talking and general house clatter. That means full cover of the ears, and not pads.

Also, it would be nice to be able to dictate to my voice recognition writing software so a built-in mic would be really handy but at a pinch I suppose I could use another, cheaper headset for that ...

I've got a basic Plantronics Audio 995H, which cuts out now and again, plus it picks up interference from the wifi router. 

I've yet to hear a wireless headset that doesn't have some level of hissssss, so something that would do away with that completely would be grand.

Is there anything on the market that covers all my bases? I know I can get a really fine Sennheiser for a few hundred dollars but it doesn't have a mic.

Any suggestions on where to ask, or what to check out, would be REALLY gratefully accepted.

Thanks!

Graham

Never tried these but if you got a few hundred to blow, you can check out the parrot zik (has bluetooth wireless & active noise cancelling) for $400. Those are probably the fanciest headphones you can get, but of course no wireless will sound as good as wired. The sony mdr-1rbt (only bluetooth, no active noise cancelling) is supposed to have really legit sound quality for bluetooth headphones. Also $400. Both are over-ear with mics. In my opinion, if you were talking about only bluetooth wireless, you should start by trying those two as there is probably nothing better if price wasn't a concern haha.

Finally, a lot of people recommend Bose for noise cancelling & comfort specifically, but those are also quite pricey. I am guessing from your post that you want to be putting down money for wireless & noise cancelling features over pure sound quality/dollar, because I think a lot of people on these forums get really upset when bose is mentioned hahaha.

Feb 26, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #25,421 of 29,490
hey guys just signed up for this site because I am looking for my first good set of over ear headphones. I listen to rock music almost exclusively everything from the Beatles to nirvana to radiohead to brand new etc. I don't want to be drowned in bass. I want something relatively affordable like under 100 bucks but I will be using these for hopefully the next decade. Comfort is important and also maybe something others on the train won't be able to hear as much.

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #25,422 of 29,490
hey guys just signed up for this site because I am looking for my first good set of over ear headphones. I listen to rock music almost exclusively everything from the Beatles to nirvana to radiohead to brand new etc. I don't want to be drowned in bass. I want something relatively affordable like under 100 bucks but I will be using these for hopefully the next decade. Comfort is important and also maybe something others on the train won't be able to hear as much.
Buy a used set of Audio-Technica ATH-M50S Professional Studio Monitor Headphones at ~$100 is exactly what the doctor ordered :)

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #25,423 of 29,490
Quote:

If you want rock cans get the grado sr80i. There's nothing that comes close under 100 dollars for rock. Mind you, these are open headphones meaning they leak a whole lot of sound and the people sitting around you will be able to hear your music almost as  clearly as you can. If that's not a problem however buy them now, you wont regret it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back