++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 26, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #25,396 of 29,490
Quote:
    Quote:

The 600 Ohm version is the best, if you can drive it properly.

Would the Schiit Magni work for the DT 880 600 ohm, or would I need something stronger?

I think the Schiit web site tells you what it will drive.  It's new and I don't have one.  My Asgard 1 will push it.

Feb 26, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #25,397 of 29,490
Long story short, I need a headphone from ultrasone. I don't want recommendations on other headphones. 

At the moment I am enjoying my HE-500, and I consider the sound close to perfection/with no major flaws. I listen to a lot of genres. I like metal, rock, jazz, acoustic, and any genre that I find musical. In other words my taste is quite broad.

I mostly like a natural and coherent sound. Everything has its place, bass, mids and treble. But if I have to choose I would choose a mid centric or dark headphone rather than u-shaped or bright headphone.

Can you help me here? I have a feeling ultrasone house sound isn't really for me, but what get closest to my preferences, and what is my options? 
size]

The headphones I want should be closed-back, and for amplification I have the e17 and my x-can v8, which is a decent tube amp. Else I would use my iPhone when not at home.

Also, one last question. Are the ultrasones durable for portable use?

I really hope you can help me, and answer fast.

Thank you 
size]

Feb 26, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #25,398 of 29,490
Quote:
I mostly like a natural and coherent sound. Everything has its place, bass, mids and treble. But if I have to choose I would choose a mid centric or dark headphone rather than u-shaped or bright headphone.

Hmm. Well, I don't know if there are any dark or mid-centric Ultrasones. I seem to remember KG Jag saying the HFI 780 was the most neutral among them. He can give you more information on that. In general I think most all of the Ultrasones are U-shaped and a bit bright. My PRO 750s definitely are and I'm not much of a fan of brightness but I still quite like them, so that tells you something. That said, I use them mainly for portable listening or for when I want that great bass texture and quantity. If I used them as my all-day/everyday headphones I would probably get a bit fatigued by the brightness. Although you could always EQ them. Overall I really like them. They're comfortable, durable, and sound great. The bass is amazing and there are certain songs/genres where they're even better than my other, generally "better" 'phones.

Quote:

Yup. They're nice and durable. They also come with a hard(ish) case. I took my PRO 750 on my trip to NYC over the new year holiday and used it a lot and was quite happy with its comfort, durability, isolation, etc. for portable use. Its a tad large for a portable headphone but I prefer that anyway because I don't like on-ears all that much.

Feb 26, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #25,399 of 29,490
Portable Headphones:
I've been researching a ton and I've come down to these two:
v-moda m100 and Sony MDR 1R

I like a lot of r&b and j/rock/pop and a little hiphop and classical.

I already know about the momentum but i'm not interested.

Thanks In Advance!!

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #25,400 of 29,490
Quote:
Portable Headphones:
I've been researching a ton and I've come down to these two:
v-moda m100 and Sony MDR 1R

I don't know about you, but after many of my searches, I keep coming full circle back to the M-100. I think it's time to look at the specific in-depth reviews of this newer V-Moda headphone. I have seen a few negative reviews, but also many good ones. I wonder if possibly the folks who thumbs down the M-100 are higher end Audiophiles that have experienced the best of the best. I figure the M-100 will be equivalent or better than anything I've heard thus far, so I it will be great for me. I want the bass of the LP2's but I don't want to compromise the integrity of the entire soundstage just to have bass...

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #25,402 of 29,490
Here's what I'm after folks...

-Price < = $300 or so
-I want to listen to music with heavy bass, but keep somewhat decent overall quality. (I'm not a bass-head but somewhere near that)
-I'm looking for decent punch and quality lows that really resonate.
-Need closed cans / isolated for office use.

I have a Fiio E11 portable amp to help power higher resistance headphones.

I really like Sennheiser, but realize they don't have a lot of options for bass with closed cans. I have nearly purchased the M-100 many times but haven't pulled the trigger.

Here is a list of all the headphones I was looking at:

-Sennheiser Momentum
-Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
-Sennheiser HD 380 Pro
-Sennheiser HD 449

-Audio-Technica ATH-PRO700MK2
-Audio-Technica ATH-M50

-Pioneer SE-MJ591

-V-Moda Crossfade LP2 LE
-V-Moda Crossfade M-80
-V-Moda M-100

-Bose AE2i

-Klipsch Mode M40

-M-AUDIO Q40

-Shure SRH 750
-Shure SRH 840

-Denon AH-D400

-Sony MDR-X10
-Sony MDR-XB800

-AKG K272 HD

Please help me cross some of the lesser suited cans off my list.

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #25,404 of 29,490
Here's what I'm after folks...

-Price < = $300 or so

-I want to listen to music with heavy bass, but keep somewhat decent overall quality. (I'm not a bass-head but somewhere near that)
-I'm looking for decent punch and quality lows that really resonate.

-Need closed cans / isolated for office use.

I have a Fiio E11 portable amp to help power higher resistance headphones.

I really like Sennheiser, but realize they don't have a lot of options for bass with closed cans. I have nearly purchased the M-100 many times but haven't pulled the trigger.

Here is a list of all the headphones I was looking at:
-Sennheiser Momentum
-Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
-Sennheiser HD 380 Pro
-Sennheiser HD 449

-Audio-Technica ATH-PRO700MK2
-Audio-Technica ATH-M50

-Pioneer SE-MJ591

-V-Moda Crossfade LP2 LE
-V-Moda Crossfade M-80
-V-Moda M-100

-Bose AE2i

-Klipsch Mode M40

-M-AUDIO Q40

-Shure SRH 750
-Shure SRH 840

-Denon AH-D400

-Sony MDR-X10
-Sony MDR-XB800

-AKG K272 HD

Please help me cross some of the lesser suited cans off my list.
Since you are using a Fiio E11, I would recommend something in the 16-80 impedance range. Therefore, I would recommend the M-100 or the Beyerdynamic: DT-770-Pro Studio Headphones - Limited Edition, 32 OHMS. Those Beyers have very good bass quality and quantity that youre looking for while still remaining musical, not to mention they look more professional than the M-100. Good luck!

Feb 26, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #25,405 of 29,490
Quote:
Long story short, I need a headphone from ultrasone. I don't want recommendations on other headphones. 

At the moment I am enjoying my HE-500, and I consider the sound close to perfection/with no major flaws. I listen to a lot of genres. I like metal, rock, jazz, acoustic, and any genre that I find musical. In other words my taste is quite broad.

Can you help me here? I have a feeling ultrasone house sound isn't really for me, but what get closest to my preferences, and what is my options? 
size]

The headphones I want should be closed-back, and for amplification I have the e17 and my x-can v8, which is a decent tube amp. Else I would use my iPhone when not at home.

I really hope you can help me, and answer fast.

Thank you 
size]

Although I have not listened to all the Ultrasone cans, none that I have meet the description of the sound signature that you are seeking.

In discussions about basshead lite cans within its price range, I have said that the HiFi 780 was more neutral and balanced.  However, that that context is an important qualifier.

Feb 26, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #25,406 of 29,490
Quote:
Since you are using a Fiio E11, I would recommend something in the 16-80 impedance range. Therefore, I would recommend the M-100 or the Beyerdynamic: DT-770-Pro Studio Headphones - Limited Edition, 32 OHMS. Those Beyers have very good bass quality and quantity that youre looking for while still remaining musical, not to mention they look more professional than the M-100. Good luck!

Would it be a bad move if I went for the 80ohm instead of the 32ohm? I even considered the 250ohm at one time, but have settled on the 80 after reading many other reviews and comments throughout the site. I just wondered your input on the 80's brunk

Feb 26, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #25,408 of 29,490
Originally Posted by roguegeek  
Quote:
Alright, so the following are on my list of cans to try this weekend:
  1. Shure SRH940
  2. AKG K550
  3. Sony MDR-V6
  4. Beyerdynamic DT 770

The Sony is on there, but I'm a little hesitant that a $65 headphone is going to deliver what I'm looking for. Still, no color lines, right? I've also put the DT 770 on there just because I'm interested in the comparison. It's probably not what I'm looking for at all, but I figure I should expose my ears to everything I can to refine my tastes. If anyone can think of any other decently closed-back, neutral, and relatively airy cans to try, I'm all ears.

Alright, I just came back from trying the K550 and I really disliked them. When the highs and the treble hit, it was uncomfortable. They reminded me of a highly degraded Q701 (a can i really like). I'm not sure that's what I'm going for now.

I tried several others while I was out, one of them being the Sennheiser Momentum. I'm a little embarrassed to say I absolutely fell in love with the sound from them. The problem is I have no idea what that means. I thought I was looking for a neutral headphone, but maybe not? I have no idea how to classify the Momentum, but that's what I'm looking for. So why not just get the Momentums and be happy? I'll tell you I was close to, but a couple things stopped me. The ear cups are SOO small, the leather heated my ears quickly, the low impedence makes me worry about whether or not to amp them (they sounded great both unamped and with a FiiO E07K), and they have an on-line mic (takes away from the seriousness to me).

I demoed the Shure SRH940 for a while last night and I have to say, I wasn't very impressed. Good detail and it was very comfortable, but the highs just stressed me out. The last thing I want at work is more stress. After, I went back and tried the AKG K550 again. I think I dismissed these too quickly the first time because I really enjoyed my extended demo. I think having come back from the SRH940 over to the K550, it helped put those highs back into perspective. I know I keep going back and forth between something a little more fun/warm and something more detailed/analytical. I think I've come to the conclusion that I want both. There's a time and place for each sound and I don't think I should rob myself of those experiences.

For the more fun and warm closed-back can that I can use at work, I'm really wanting to try the Sony MDR-1R now. From everything I'm reading, it sounds like it's in the same space at the Momentums, but with an actual full ear cup. I'm not finding these anywhere to demo, so I may need to fire and forget this purchase with a vendor that has a good return policy. In general, is there a way or place to demo harder to find items like this?

For the more detailed and analytical closed-back can that I can use at work, I think I've decided on the K550. The only problem I see with it is the same problem a lot of people have with it which is I can get a good seal on it, but just barely. It works, but it could be a lot better. I've seen the mods people have done, but if you know me, then you know I hate modding unless it's barely noticeable. I tend to think it's a manufacturer's responsibility to fix issues like this vs the consumer. Whatever the case, I do get a decent enough seal. I'm also not crazy about the non-removable cable. When you get to the K550 price range, it should be a mandatory feature. Anything else out there that can be a good closed-back reference can and solve these issues?

Thanks.

Feb 26, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #25,409 of 29,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek  
Quote:
Alright, so the following are on my list of cans to try this weekend:
  1. Shure SRH940
  2. AKG K550
  3. Sony MDR-V6
  4. Beyerdynamic DT 770

The Sony is on there, but I'm a little hesitant that a $65 headphone is going to deliver what I'm looking for. Still, no color lines, right? I've also put the DT 770 on there just because I'm interested in the comparison. It's probably not what I'm looking for at all, but I figure I should expose my ears to everything I can to refine my tastes. If anyone can think of any other decently closed-back, neutral, and relatively airy cans to try, I'm all ears.

Alright, I just came back from trying the K550 and I really disliked them. When the highs and the treble hit, it was uncomfortable. They reminded me of a highly degraded Q701 (a can i really like). I'm not sure that's what I'm going for now.

I tried several others while I was out, one of them being the Sennheiser Momentum. I'm a little embarrassed to say I absolutely fell in love with the sound from them. The problem is I have no idea what that means. I thought I was looking for a neutral headphone, but maybe not? I have no idea how to classify the Momentum, but that's what I'm looking for. So why not just get the Momentums and be happy? I'll tell you I was close to, but a couple things stopped me. The ear cups are SOO small, the leather heated my ears quickly, the low impedence makes me worry about whether or not to amp them (they sounded great both unamped and with a FiiO E07K), and they have an on-line mic (takes away from the seriousness to me).

I demoed the Shure SRH940 for a while last night and I have to say, I wasn't very impressed. Good detail and it was very comfortable, but the highs just stressed me out. The last thing I want at work is more stress. After, I went back and tried the AKG K550 again. I think I dismissed these too quickly the first time because I really enjoyed my extended demo. I think having come back from the SRH940 over to the K550, it helped put those highs back into perspective. I know I keep going back and forth between something a little more fun/warm and something more detailed/analytical. I think I've come to the conclusion that I want both. There's a time and place for each sound and I don't think I should rob myself of those experiences.

For the more fun and warm closed-back can that I can use at work, I'm really wanting to try the Sony MDR-1R now. From everything I'm reading, it sounds like it's in the same space at the Momentums, but with an actual full ear cup. I'm not finding these anywhere to demo, so I may need to fire and forget this purchase with a vendor that has a good return policy. In general, is there a way or place to demo harder to find items like this?

For the more detailed and analytical closed-back can that I can use at work, I think I've decided on the K550. The only problem I see with it is the same problem a lot of people have with it which is I can get a good seal on it, but just barely. It works, but it could be a lot better. I've seen the mods people have done, but if you know me, then you know I hate modding unless it's barely noticeable. I tend to think it's a manufacturer's responsibility to fix issues like this vs the consumer. Whatever the case, I do get a decent enough seal. I'm also not crazy about the non-removable cable. When you get to the K550 price range, it should be a mandatory feature. Anything else out there that can be a good closed-back reference can and solve these issues?

Thanks.

The Sony MDR-CD900ST (but has thin ear pads) and Sony MDR-7510 & 7520.  Only the more expensive 7520 has a removable cable.

Feb 26, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #25,410 of 29,490
Quote:
The Sony MDR-CD900ST (but has thin ear pads) and Sony MDR-7510 & 7520.  Only the more expensive 7520 has a removable cable.

And these are recommended for the more analytical can or the more colored can?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back