++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 25, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #25,381 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, looking to purchase my first "serious" headphones. Preferable conditions:

- Under $250 (AUD)
- COMFORTABLE (most important requirement)
- Portable (not a dealbreaker though)
- Closed (again, not a huge issue if it's open)
- Ideal for watching movies. (but will be listening to A LOT of music/a variety of genres)

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

Expect recommendations of open cans, as they typically provide a much better sound stage (very important for movies) than do closed cans.

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #25,382 of 29,490
Will not be using an amp, just plain old straight into the mp3 player.
All my music files are in flac or mp3 320 kbps.
This is the type of music I'm into, if that helps...
http://www.last.fm/user/viva_republic

Not sure what sound signature means, I'm a bit of a newbie.
The headphones I'm currently looking at are the HD 598's, I just wanted some advice before I purchased them.

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #25,383 of 29,490
Quote:
Not sure what sound signature means, I'm a bit of a newbie.
The headphones I'm currently looking at are the HD 598's, I just wanted some advice before I purchased them.

See this concerning the meaning of "sound signature":

http://www.salmanashrafny.com/2011/05/which-headphones-to-buy-part-ii-sound.html

The comfortable for most HD 598 is a good choice for movies.  However, it is open and is not good for portable use.  It's sound signature is close to neutral.

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #25,384 of 29,490
From what I read, the Neutral option seems to be the one most suited to my needs.

So is there an open headphone, that is comfortable, portable and is within my price range? Or are the 598's my best bet?
Do the 598's sound better with an amp?

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #25,385 of 29,490
If your tube amp can push them properly, the planar HE-500, normally coming in at $101 below your budget, is the king of that class.
Is there a better option with a higher impedance?

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #25,386 of 29,490
Quote:
From what I read, the Neutral option seems to be the one most suited to my needs.

So is there an open headphone, that is comfortable, portable and is within my price range? Or are the 598's my best bet?
Do the 598's sound better with an amp?

Most open cans are not designed to be portable because the sound they leak makes them undesirable for public use.  Grados are small enough to be portable, but don't provide the sound stage you want for movies and are generally considered to be less comfortable.

Based on U.S. pricing within your budget, I would recommend the HD 598, AKG Q 701 and the very efficient Audio Technica ATH-AD900.

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #25,387 of 29,490
OK I started a new thread before I saw this one, sorry sorry, I know I know I'm a terrible person, anyways I just copied what I posted on to here.

I know I'm asking for alot but I only get an oportunity to buy GOOD headphones ever 2 years (considering  where I live). Please remember my budget is 200-400 (excluding the price of the portable amp).

I own a pair of beats studios and after 2 years of feeling bad for making a big mistake I finally have the oportunity to buy a new pair of cans. I am a BASSHEAD I can never get enough of bass but I also like to listen to soundrack, some pop, alternative, electronic and ambient type meditation music (for sleeping). What I'm mainly aiming for is a set of cans in which can crank up the bass with lots of impact and quantity (basically earthquake) but also with quality, but without overwhelming the mids and highs, but also I want to be able to change to my other music without having to worry about my it being saturated with bass.
I only get this oportunity every 2 years or so, so please keep in mind build quality, also noise blockage from out to in and in to out is IMPORTANT!
I want something that will make my beats and bose look like trash in terms of bass and sound quality :)
Btw I am also thinking about getting a heaphone amp possibly the fiio e07k or the e12 (suggestions are welcome). My budget is $200-$400 (excluding the headphone amp).

I can't believe I made such big mistakes with beats and bose :frowning2:

Feb 26, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #25,388 of 29,490
OK I started a new thread before I saw this one, sorry sorry, I know I know I'm a terrible person, anyways I just copied what I posted on to here.

I know I'm asking for alot but I only get an oportunity to buy GOOD headphones ever 2 years (considering  where I live). Please remember my budget is 200-400 (excluding the price of the portable amp).

I own a pair of beats studios and after 2 years of feeling bad for making a big mistake I finally have the oportunity to buy a new pair of cans. I am a BASSHEAD I can never get enough of bass but I also like to listen to soundrack, some pop, alternative, electronic and ambient type meditation music (for sleeping). What I'm mainly aiming for is a set of cans in which can crank up the bass with lots of impact and quantity (basically earthquake) but also with quality, but without overwhelming the mids and highs, but also I want to be able to change to my other music without having to worry about my it being saturated with bass.

I only get this oportunity every 2 years or so, so please keep in mind build quality, also noise blockage from out to in and in to out is IMPORTANT!

I want something that will make my beats and bose look like trash in terms of bass and sound quality :)

Btw I am also thinking about getting a heaphone amp possibly the fiio e07k or the e12 (suggestions are welcome). My budget is $200-$400 (excluding the headphone amp).

I can't believe I made such big mistakes with beats and bose :frowning2:

Try the V-Moda Crossfade M-100. It gets compared quite favorably for what you're looking for. I'd also suggest trying the Sennheiser Momentum when you get a chance just so you can hear what it's capable of. It's at every Best Buy, so it's easy to demo.

Feb 26, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #25,389 of 29,490
-Price: $250 - $400
-Style: Open-Back
-Genres: VERY varied, though specific in Electronica and Rock
-Previous headphones: Grado SR80i, Sennheiser HD-518, and HE-400
-DAC/Amp: Schiit Stack

-Reasons: I currently am using the HE-400. While I find it enjoyable on Electronica music, it seems to lack on rock songs overall, especially ones with screaming. I enjoy the bass clarity, but overall the bass might be a tad bit much. I'm not complaining, but I'm not looking solely for things with excellent bass. However, I definitely liked the clarity of the bass, if that makes sense. If this isn't the term I should be using/if I'm wrong, let me know.

-What I'm looking for: I'm looking for a pair of open-back headphones designed for Electronica and Rock, but should be considered a 'genre master'. I want a headphone that is has very high clarity (open sound stage, instrument separation, neutral-sound). I also want it to similar to the HD-518 in overall presentation, but less bass (relative to the other sounds).

I've been thinking of the Sennheiser HD-600/650, but want more suggestions or confirmation that these would be perfect choices.

Feb 26, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #25,390 of 29,490
Hi,

I am thinking of buying my first desktop headphone rig.

I currently own both a grado sr150i and b&w p5. I drive them with a a budget unforced icon2 dac.

I like the sound from the p5 but the foam is uncomfortable after a while. The sound from the grades tires me after while and I miss some info when actively listening.

I listen to all kinds of music although mostly small bands, lots of guitar, piano and occasional vocal.
Sources are streaming and flac.

I have a budget of up to 1500 USD for a complete system including a respectable amp and dac.

Ideas are welcome as well as a discussion on how to spread the budget.

Dotan

Feb 26, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #25,391 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi,

I am thinking of buying my first desktop headphone rig.

I currently own both a grado sr150i and b&w p5. I drive them with a a budget unforced icon2 dac.

I like the sound from the p5 but the foam is uncomfortable after a while. The sound from the grades tires me after while and I miss some info when actively listening.

I listen to all kinds of music although mostly small bands, lots of guitar, piano and occasional vocal.
Sources are streaming and flac.

I have a budget of up to 1500 USD for a complete system including a respectable amp and dac.

Ideas are welcome as well as a discussion on how to spread the budget.

Dotan

I have never heard of the SR 150i.  Is that what you meant to say?

You need to tell us the sound signature that you seek.

Have you seen this?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12

Given your generous budget, you might want to start your search with the HE 500 and/or LCD-2.

Feb 26, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #25,392 of 29,490
Quote:
-Price: $250 - $400
-Style: Open-Back
-Genres: VERY varied, though specific in Electronica and Rock
-Previous headphones: Grado SR80i, Sennheiser HD-518, and HE-400
-DAC/Amp: Schiit Stack

-Reasons: I currently am using the HE-400. While I find it enjoyable on Electronica music, it seems to lack on rock songs overall, especially ones with screaming. I enjoy the bass clarity, but overall the bass might be a tad bit much. I'm not complaining, but I'm not looking solely for things with excellent bass. However, I definitely liked the clarity of the bass, if that makes sense. If this isn't the term I should be using/if I'm wrong, let me know.

-What I'm looking for: I'm looking for a pair of open-back headphones designed for Electronica and Rock, but should be considered a 'genre master'. I want a headphone that is has very high clarity (open sound stage, instrument separation, neutral-sound). I also want it to similar to the HD-518 in overall presentation, but less bass (relative to the other sounds).

I've been thinking of the Sennheiser HD-600/650, but want more suggestions or confirmation that these would be perfect choices.

Electronica is not my thing, but you might want to check out the DT 880.  It is one of those genre masters.  However it is bright while the HD 518 is dark--or maybe that's what you want.

Feb 26, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #25,393 of 29,490
Quote:
Electronica is not my thing, but you might want to check out the DT 880.  It is one of those genre masters.  However it is bright while the HD 518 is dark--or maybe that's what you want.

I will definitely look into the DT 880. I assume you're talking about the 600 ohm version. As for bright vs dark, I don't believe I care. I enjoy both my HD 518 and my Grado SR 80i, so I'm not entirely sure I have a preference there (or don't know I do).

Feb 26, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #25,394 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

I will definitely look into the DT 880. I assume you're talking about the 600 ohm version. As for bright vs dark, I don't believe I care. I enjoy both my HD 518 and my Grado SR 80i, so I'm not entirely sure I have a preference there (or don't know I do).

The 600 Ohm version is the best, if you can drive it properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back