++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 22, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #25,187 of 29,490
Quote:
I like the AKG, but is more in the bassy (but balanced) direction.  It's not are airy and detailed as the Shure.

I doubt that you will find them, but I also like the Japanese import Sony MDR-CD900ST.

I have a set of their twin brothers, the mdr-v7. While theyre very detailed i would hesitate to call them airy. Theyre not congested either, but the soundstage is rather tight and spherical. Given a listen to a set of mdr-v6 if you can. If you like the sound but want smoother highs, tighter more extended bass and all around better clarity its worth the trouble to import them.

Alright, so the following are on my list of cans to try this weekend:
  1. Shure SRH940
  2. AKG K550
  3. Sony MDR-V6
  4. Beyerdynamic DT 770

The Sony is on there, but I'm a little hesitant that a $65 headphone is going to deliver what I'm looking for. Still, no color lines, right? I've also put the DT 770 on there just because I'm interested in the comparison. It's probably not what I'm looking for at all, but I figure I should expose my ears to everything I can to refine my tastes. If anyone can think of any other decently closed-back, neutral, and relatively airy cans to try, I'm all ears.

Feb 22, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #25,188 of 29,490
Quote:
I've refined my requirements and am looking for input on the headphones below. For home and travel using mp3s and movies in flight. Priority is comfort, isolation, sound, portability. max $200, prefer to spend less. I'm now looking at:
KRK KNS8400
NVX Audio XPT100
Senn HD-280 pro
Shure HR440
Beyer Custom One Pro
Sound magic HP100

Years and years ago when I knew nothing at all about headphones (granted, I comparatively know very little still), I picked up the Sennheiser HD280 Pro thinking I was getting the deal of the century. They were ok because I had never really put anything of value on my ears, but after having tried so many other things in the last several month, I can safely say there is no amount of money they are worth and it seems like the number of negative reviews for them validates this. Just remove them from your list and save your time.

Feb 22, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #25,189 of 29,490
  • Shure SRH940
  • AKG K550
  • Sony MDR-V6
  • Beyerdynamic DT 770

The Sony is on there, but I'm a little hesitant that a $65 headphone is going to deliver what I'm looking for. Still, no color lines, right? I've also put the DT 770 on there just because I'm interested in the comparison. It's probably not what I'm looking for at all, but I figure I should expose my ears to everything I can to refine my tastes. If anyone can think of any other decently closed-back, neutral, and relatively airy cans to try, I'm all ears.

Just use the v6 to get an idea what the CD900ST will sound like. The v6 is a good $65 headphone. Their big brother is well worth more than $150. They sound similar but the CD900 is much more resolving, and less harsh but still bright

Feb 22, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #25,190 of 29,490
Hi all !!

New to HF .

I am getting new headphones and could really need some advice on one .

Well to start of i need headphones that are over the ear , and have a really good noise blocking both ways .
I listen to all types of music , but i would love to get a little more bass , but not so that would blow my head ^^ .
Headphones will be connected to my PC .
Currently I own Logitech's G930 headset , and i never owned a pair of quality headphones so i dont know how good are these G930s. I assume they are bad ^^ .
My budget is max 170$ .

Thank you in advance .

Feb 22, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #25,191 of 29,490
Hey guys ,i needed a recomendation for an ad700 upgrade

ive been using ad700 for around 2 months ,but not satisfied with the overall voice reproduction and the the detail in sound

I listen to a lot of genres like  hip hop,reggae,classical,instrumental,instrumental, with the exception of metal

im satisfied with the ad700 bass,but am looking for a durable closed headphone with more depth,clarity and a richer feel to the sound as well as greater detail 

so far ive tried ath-m20,ath-m35,ath-m50,bose-ie2,bose-ae2,senn hd 201,and ath-ad700
as for the source ive been using mp3 320bitrate,flac,wav formats for music using a realtek soundcard on my toshiba laptop

since i stay in mumbai ,auditioning higher end headphones is a problem,
as for availability senns and audio technica are available otherwise i got to request a friend to get it for me
im ready to go upto to 370$ and dont want an amp as far as possible

so PLEASE ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED
frown.gif

confused.gif

frown.gif

confused.gif

(please forgive me ,since im a newbie i haven't mastered the technical terms yet)

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #25,192 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
I like the AKG, but is more in the bassy (but balanced) direction.  It's not are airy and detailed as the Shure.

I doubt that you will find them, but I also like the Japanese import Sony MDR-CD900ST.

I have a set of their twin brothers, the mdr-v7. While theyre very detailed i would hesitate to call them airy. Theyre not congested either, but the soundstage is rather tight and spherical. Given a listen to a set of mdr-v6 if you can. If you like the sound but want smoother highs, tighter more extended bass and all around better clarity its worth the trouble to import them.

1. Shure SRH940
  2. AKG K550
  3. Sony MDR-V6
  4. Beyerdynamic DT 770

The DT 770 is way off the mark, but it can't hurt to give it a listen and even to use it as a comfort benchmark.

The V-6 is worth listening to simply because it is a classic.  However to compare it to the MDR-CD900ST is almost like comparing a Chevette to a Corvette.

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #25,193 of 29,490
Hey guys 
i have been looking at headphones i want to get for myself as a preset for myself. My main issues are soundquality, comfort and portability. I also care about how the headphones look because i have a really small head. Listen to mostly trance, r &b and hiphop. Looking to spend around 150 if possible Have been mainly looking at 

1. ATH m50 
2. Ultrasone hfi 580

I think my ideal headphones would be the vmoda m100 but it is way out of price range. Is a lower price similar headphone?

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #25,194 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys ,i needed a recomendation for an ad700 upgrade

ive been using ad700 for around 2 months ,but not satisfied with the overall voice reproduction and the the detail in sound

I listen to a lot of genres like  hip hop,reggae,classical,instrumental,instrumental, with the exception of metal

im satisfied with the ad700 bass,but am looking for a durable closed headphone with more depth,clarity and a richer feel to the sound as well as greater detail 

so far ive tried ath-m20,ath-m35,ath-m50,bose-ie2,bose-ae2,senn hd 201,and ath-ad700
as for the source ive been using mp3 320bitrate,flac,wav formats for music using a realtek soundcard on my toshiba laptop

since i stay in mumbai ,auditioning higher end headphones is a problem,
as for availability senns and audio technica are available otherwise i got to request a friend to get it for me
im ready to go upto to 370$ and dont want an amp as far as possible

so PLEASE ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED
frown.gif

confused.gif

frown.gif

confused.gif

(please forgive me ,since im a newbie i haven't mastered the technical terms yet)

The Audio Technica ATH-AD900 is an excellent & efficient can that is currently $179 in the U.S. at Amazon.  It moves forward from the AD700 in all respects.

The Senn HD 558 and 598 are also excellent, but just a bit harder to drive.

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #25,195 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all !!

New to HF .

I am getting new headphones and could really need some advice on one .

Well to start of i need headphones that are over the ear , and have a really good noise blocking both ways .
I listen to all types of music , but i would love to get a little more bass , but not so that would blow my head ^^ .
Headphones will be connected to my PC .
Currently I own Logitech's G930 headset , and i never owned a pair of quality headphones so i dont know how good are these G930s. I assume they are bad ^^ .
My budget is max 170$ .

Thank you in advance .

Does your PC have a sound card?  If so what is it?

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #25,196 of 29,490
Quote:

Years and years ago when I knew nothing at all about headphones (granted, I comparatively know very little still), I picked up the Sennheiser HD280 Pro thinking I was getting the deal of the century. They were ok because I had never really put anything of value on my ears, but after having tried so many other things in the last several month, I can safely say there is no amount of money they are worth and it seems like the number of negative reviews for them validates this. Just remove them from your list and save your time.

Thanks. That brings me down to :
KRK KNS8400
NVX Audio XPT100
Shure HR440
Beyer Custom One Pro
Sound magic HP100

Can anyone scratch any others based on criteria of comfort, isolation, sound and portability?

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #25,197 of 29,490
Looking for super comfortable circumaural (preferably closed) headphones with nice bass for less than £150 that isn't the DT770 Pro or M-Audio Q40 (DT770s sounded..recessed(?) to me and Q40s clamp was quite bad). I have a Xonar DX sound card.

Thanks.

Feb 23, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #25,198 of 29,490
Quote:
I've refined my requirements and am looking for input on the headphones below. For home and travel using mp3s and movies in flight. Priority is comfort, isolation, sound, portability. max $200, prefer to spend less. I'm now looking at:
KRK KNS8400
NVX Audio XPT100
Senn HD-280 pro
Shure HR440
Beyer Custom One Pro
Sound magic HP100

I was leaning towards the Beyer's, but the lack of folding and having to purchase a case have me uncertain. Otherwise they sound like somethign I would like. I carry a leather laptop bag/briefcase and like to be able to tuck headphones in an outer zippered area (full size about 10*12*1" but being flexible can expand several inches if an item is not thick and wide). Sound Magic are in running but I'm not familiar with brand and not sure I want to spend 199 on someting I'm unfamiliar with. KRK sounds like they have good isolation and sound and may be a good fit. All opinions are appreciated. Looking for recommendations as well as quality and "bang for the buck" ratings on these.

I live out on the Cape and have not found a store with a good selection to try. Makes me nervous as this is a big purchase for me.

With a budget of $200 why not step up to SRH840 or UE6000?  Without active noise cancellation most headphones will sound hopeless on an airplane, if you'll fly a lot UE6000 are hard to beat.

Feb 23, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #25,199 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys 
i have been looking at headphones i want to get for myself as a preset for myself. My main issues are soundquality, comfort and portability. I also care about how the headphones look because i have a really small head. Listen to mostly trance, r &b and hiphop. Looking to spend around 150 if possible Have been mainly looking at 

1. ATH m50 
2. Ultrasone hfi 580

I think my ideal headphones would be the vmoda m100 but it is way out of price range. Is a lower price similar headphone?

I liked M50 more than M100.  They're under $120 again, which makes them well worth the price.  Haven't heard the ultrasones, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back