++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 22, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #25,174 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Realizing that you are not going to get the same level of soundstage and airy sound in a closed can that you can get with an open one, the Shure SRH 940 is a good choice.  It is a not a bass heavy can by any stretch.  It is quite neutral.  You will need an amp.

Knowing I'll be going out this weekend to test some cans, are there any others I should be adding to the mix force parison purposes? What do you think of the K550 and should it be on that list?

I like the AKG, but is more in the bassy (but balanced) direction.  It's not are airy and detailed as the Shure.

I doubt that you will find them, but I also like the Japanese import Sony MDR-CD900ST.

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #25,175 of 29,490
Feb 22, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #25,176 of 29,490
I like the AKG, but is more in the bassy (but balanced) direction.  It's not are airy and detailed as the Shure.

I doubt that you will find them, but I also like the Japanese import Sony MDR-CD900ST.

I have a set of their twin brothers, the mdr-v7. While theyre very detailed i would hesitate to call them airy. Theyre not congested either, but the soundstage is rather tight and spherical. Given a listen to a set of mdr-v6 if you can. If you like the sound but want smoother highs, tighter more extended bass and all around better clarity its worth the trouble to import them.

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #25,177 of 29,490
As my signature shows, I'm currently running a Sennheiser HD 555 off my Schiit M&M stack. For the most part, I enjoy the (relative) neutrality, the comfort, the layering, and the decent sound stage these cans have to offer. However, I find their mids to be somewhat lacking, and I would most definitely want to see improvements to the clarity/transparency of the sound. So I am turning to the fine Head-Fi folks for some advice.

I generally listen to soft rock, pop, classical, and different ballroom dancing music. In some ways, I am looking for a supercharged version of my HD 555, but with improvements to various aspects, esp some stronger mids and better clarity. I have fallen in love with both the Sennheiser HD 700 and HD 800 (esp the HD 800) after a brief encounter, but in the forseeable future (of 6-12+ months), they remain totally out of reach. So I am looking for some suggestions on how I should go about improving my audio experiences.

1) Is there something in the $200 - $500 range that I can look at for the short term?

2) Is there something in the $500 - $1500 range that I should keep drooling over as I save up my pennies? (Never mind that they are actually being taken out of circulation here in Canucksville now...)

3) Should I just suck it up and start saving for the HD 800 once and for all?

All suggestions would be very much welcomed.

Feb 22, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #25,178 of 29,490
Need a pair of full sized cans and a dac/amp combo (sth portable like E17) for Rap, Hip/Hop,Electronic music. Budget 400$ for both. I like good amount of bass controlled and tight yet not too overwhelming the highs should not be ear piercing(like my Mg7s). Your suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

Bump, Anyone?

I like my E17 with Beyerdynic 770 80ohm as a combo. This would not be the best combo of you wanted open cans.

IMO, the headphone cable is too long, but that's pretty easy to fix.

This will leave you a few $ left over for connectors, LOD, or maybe some different ear pads (I like the HM5 pads)

Feb 22, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #25,179 of 29,490
I've refined my requirements and am looking for input on the headphones below. For home and travel using mp3s and movies in flight. Priority is comfort, isolation, sound, portability. max $200, prefer to spend less. I'm now looking at:
KRK KNS8400
NVX Audio XPT100
Senn HD-280 pro
Shure HR440
Beyer Custom One Pro
Sound magic HP100

I was leaning towards the Beyer's, but the lack of folding and having to purchase a case have me uncertain. Otherwise they sound like somethign I would like. I carry a leather laptop bag/briefcase and like to be able to tuck headphones in an outer zippered area (full size about 10*12*1" but being flexible can expand several inches if an item is not thick and wide). Sound Magic are in running but I'm not familiar with brand and not sure I want to spend 199 on someting I'm unfamiliar with. KRK sounds like they have good isolation and sound and may be a good fit. All opinions are appreciated. Looking for recommendations as well as quality and "bang for the buck" ratings on these.

I live out on the Cape and have not found a store with a good selection to try. Makes me nervous as this is a big purchase for me.

Feb 22, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #25,180 of 29,490
Quote:
As my signature shows, I'm currently running a Sennheiser HD 555 off my Schiit M&M stack. For the most part, I enjoy the (relative) neutrality, the comfort, the layering, and the decent sound stage these cans have to offer. However, I find their mids to be somewhat lacking, and I would most definitely want to see improvements to the clarity/transparency of the sound. So I am turning to the fine Head-Fi folks for some advice.

I generally listen to soft rock, pop, classical, and different ballroom dancing music. In some ways, I am looking for a supercharged version of my HD 555, but with improvements to various aspects, esp some stronger mids and better clarity. I have fallen in love with both the Sennheiser HD 700 and HD 800 (esp the HD 800) after a brief encounter, but in the forseeable future (of 6-12+ months), they remain totally out of reach. So I am looking for some suggestions on how I should go about improving my audio experiences.

1) Is there something in the $200 - $500 range that I can look at for the short term?

2) Is there something in the $500 - $1500 range that I should keep drooling over as I save up my pennies? (Never mind that they are actually being taken out of circulation here in Canucksville now...)

3) Should I just suck it up and start saving for the HD 800 once and for all?

All suggestions would be very much welcomed.

You'll have to pick the route, but there are a number of steps up before you end up on the one in the $1,300 to $2,000 street price range with the HD 800, HE 6 and LCD-3.

The easy one up from where you are brings you to the HD 598.  Next on the way up is the HD 600, HD 650, HE 400, DT 880 & RS 2i.  Then comes the HE 500 (which is probably the best value in an audiophile can), LCD-2 and T-1.

Read about each can above the HD 598 here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12

Feb 22, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #25,182 of 29,490
Quote:
Am looking to purchase a colorfly c4. Has anyone got any views for headphones to pair it with? needs to be under £300. Tempted by the sennheiser momentums. But going by reviews of the c4 the 6.3mm jack provides a better output sound, would the momentum be suitable?

You'll have to find someone who knows your media player and I bet that their are few, if any, that are regulars on this thread.  You will probably get better and more answers on the parts of this or another forum that focus on specific media players.

Feb 22, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #25,185 of 29,490
Quote:
I've refined my requirements and am looking for input on the headphones below. For home and travel using mp3s and movies in flight. Priority is comfort, isolation, sound, portability. max $200, prefer to spend less. I'm now looking at:
KRK KNS8400
NVX Audio XPT100
Senn HD-280 pro
Shure HR440
Beyer Custom One Pro
Sound magic HP100

I was leaning towards the Beyer's, but the lack of folding and having to purchase a case have me uncertain. Otherwise they sound like somethign I would like. I carry a leather laptop bag/briefcase and like to be able to tuck headphones in an outer zippered area (full size about 10*12*1" but being flexible can expand several inches if an item is not thick and wide). Sound Magic are in running but I'm not familiar with brand and not sure I want to spend 199 on someting I'm unfamiliar with. KRK sounds like they have good isolation and sound and may be a good fit. All opinions are appreciated. Looking for recommendations as well as quality and "bang for the buck" ratings on these.

I live out on the Cape and have not found a store with a good selection to try. Makes me nervous as this is a big purchase for me.

Hope you get some help, but it's not very likely that anyone has heard all six cans enough (or at all) to be definitive about each.  Culling your list down to 2 or 3 will be of great help if you want direct comparisons instead of one off impressions of a single item or two on your list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back