++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 22, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #25,156 of 29,490
Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATHM50S-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B004ZG9TMA

Will this headphone drop to $99 again....I want to kick myself..I miss this deal during black friday.
I also miss the deal of fiio e10 and e17....
Thank you

They seem to drop to within about $10 of that price from time to time.  Keep an eye on the Deals 2 thread.

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #25,159 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
Yes.  The airiest closed-back can I know is the Ortofon O-One.  Its bass level is just a little higher than that of the AD700, which you are well familiar with.

Keep in mind I'm learning here. The way I read that is that the bass still doesn't even get back to neutral on those since it's sooo recessed on the AD700. Would you consider the O-One to be a neutral headphone? I think I'm starting to get some of this terminology down and I think I'm looking for a neutral closed-back headphone that has a relatively large soundstage... I think.

I would consider the Ortofon O-One to be a natural sounding headphone, in the sense that it conveys the sound of a symphonic performance in a concert hall. Please see my review of the Ortofon O-One for a more detailed discussion: http://www.head-fi.org/products/ortofon-o-one-headphones-black/reviews/6819. See also these threads: http://www.head-fi.org/t/504815/review-ortofon-o-one-updated-840-m50-vs-o-one-comparison and http://www.head-fi.org/t/606219/closed-headphones-for-classical-orchestras.  I am attaching a frequency response graph for four headphones that are considered good for classical music listening.  Three of them (including the much less expensive Beyerdynamic DT-235, which I own, and the AKG K271 MkII, which I do not own) are closed; the fourth one is the AD700, which you are familiar with.  Note how they behave in the low frequencies: http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2661&graphID[]=1773&graphID[]=2901&graphID[]=213.  In contrast, the Sennheiser HD-518, for example, which is about the same price as the AD700, has much more emphasized bass.  To me, this makes for an unnatural emphasis on, say, cello and double bass on what is otherwise a very nice presentation, e.g, to remain in the classical music arena, it is a joy to listen to male voices in some operas with the HD-518.

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #25,161 of 29,490
Here goes:
: < Im sort of done with the overprice-paying for fashion headphones. (Although I can't deny I prefer a pair to look good) 
Im new to having good sound when on the go. AND IT IS WONDERFUL. AKA... Im an Audiophile Noob. With anything but Records Im pretty much "Derp this sounds awesome I like this" .__. Forgive me!

Im currently using a pair of wesc's my grandma got me after my old pair broke.

I recently looked at Monster Diesel headphones, and Im -well- aware that is paying for brand, and I wouldn't be surprised if I could get a headphone of similar quality for less, So I came to post here!
Im looking for a pair of on-ear or over-ear, preferably over-ear, as I will be using these for: car trips when I'm not in charge of the radio/I'm not in a car with good sound, airplane rides, working on art projects out of home... I would like the quality to be better or equal to those monster diesels (Yes I know monster headphones and the like are frowned upon by most audiophiles, and I agree. However it is the only "sound point" I can offer as I live in a junky small town.) 
When listening to music at home I use my record player and run it through a maranz set-up, So my knowledge of music is all based in records/upkeep of my player and maranz. 
My music taste is 60s-80s, with some stuff like Jim Noir thrown in. Vocals and guitar are big for me.
Price range limit is 350$s 
Can't be to huge, I'm open to big cans, but damnit, if I feel like they are trying to eat my head or draw way to much attention to me I don't want to wear em.
At least -sort- of stylish.
Fashion points Im fond of are generally more of an "old school" feel. AKG Q 701s for example have a design I LOVE but, they are so massive!

Thank you in advance! :D

TL;DR:
Price range: 300 $
Semi Fashionable, Over Ear Preffered, Can size not overly obtrusive.
Quality better or equal to monster diesels
Portable in car/on plane, in art studio use.

Feb 22, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #25,162 of 29,490
Quote:
Here goes:
: < Im sort of done with the overprice-paying for fashion headphones. (Although I can't deny I prefer a pair to look good) 
Im new to having good sound when on the go. AND IT IS WONDERFUL. AKA... Im an Audiophile Noob. With anything but Records Im pretty much "Derp this sounds awesome I like this" .__. Forgive me!

I recently looked at Monster Diesel headphones, and Im -well- aware that is paying for brand, and I wouldn't be surprised if I could get a headphone of similar quality for less, So I came to post here!
Im looking for a pair of on-ear or over-ear, preferably over-ear, as I will be using these for: car trips when I'm not in charge of the radio/I'm not in a car with good sound, airplane rides, working on art projects out of home... I would like the quality to be better or equal to those monster diesels (Yes I know monster headphones and the like are frowned upon by most audiophiles, and I agree. However it is the only "sound point" I can offer as I live in a junky small town.) 
When listening to music at home I use my record player and run it through a maranz set-up, So my knowledge of music is all based in records/upkeep of my player and maranz. 
My music taste is 60s-80s, with some stuff like Jim Noir thrown in. Vocals and guitar are big for me.
Can't be to huge, I'm open to big cans, but damnit, if I feel like they are trying to eat my head or draw way to much attention to me I don't want to wear em.
Fashion points Im fond of are generally more of an "old school" feel. AKG Q 701s for example have a design I LOVE but, they are so massive!

TL;DR:

Here are some portable over-ear lifestyle headphones options that are much better than Monster Diesel
1.) V-moda Crossfade M100 ($300-$310): very highly rated SQ
2.) Sennheiser Momentum ($350): also very highly rated SQ
3.) Sony MDR-1R ($300): heard these are extremely comfortable
->AKG K500 ($240) or AKG K551 ($330): these might be too big for true portable use, so probably not for you

From my own personal extensive research, #1-3 offer the best sound quality at the $300 price range & would blow away the Monster Diesel on a strictly sound quality comparison. For the Monster Diesel, you are paying more for the looks than the sound. There are probably other solid options in different price ranges, but these are the best "lifestyle" fashion headphones you can get at $300ish. M100 & MDR-1R can fold up. M100 & Momentum are made w/ very nice non-plastic materials. MDR-1R is supposed to be super comfy. The differences in SQ between the M100, Momentum, and MDR-1R would probably be hard to hear for a newbie audiophile, so if one design grabs your attention, I would say go for that one.

Feb 22, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #25,164 of 29,490
[quote="KG]
Here's the thing: if you like the sound signature of the DT 770 & 990, your right on the border of being a basshead lite.  Cans that are in that neighborhood are not airy (even relatively--when compared to neutral-ish and even near neutral-ish cans).  They are not good all-arounders--most have recessed mids and even those that don't have too much bass emphasis (perhaps another way to say recess mids & treble relative to bass) to be good with many/most genres. Bottom line--you need to pick on which side of the divide you want to be.  With the Denons discontinued, there's really not much, if any, middle ground.

Ok. I can live with that. In that case, I believe I'm looking for closed-back headphones that are neutral and airy. Is that a better way to put it?
[/quote]

So yeah. I'm looking for a neutral sounding, relatively airy, closed-back headphone that's following most of my original guidelines. Thoughts?

Feb 22, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #25,165 of 29,490
Quote:
Here goes:

TL;DR:

When on the road do you plan to use an amp?  If not, your options become more limited.

Feb 22, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #25,167 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
KG Jag said:
Here's the thing: if you like the sound signature of the DT 770 & 990, your right on the border of being a basshead lite.  Cans that are in that neighborhood are not airy (even relatively--when compared to neutral-ish and even near neutral-ish cans).  They are not good all-arounders--most have recessed mids and even those that don't have too much bass emphasis (perhaps another way to say recess mids & treble relative to bass) to be good with many/most genres. Bottom line--you need to pick on which side of the divide you want to be.  With the Denons discontinued, there's really not much, if any, middle ground.

Ok. I can live with that. In that case, I believe I'm looking for closed-back headphones that are neutral and airy. Is that a better way to put it?

So yeah. I'm looking for a neutral sounding, relatively airy, closed-back headphone that's following most of my original guidelines. Thoughts?

Realizing that you are not going to get the same level of soundstage and airy sound in a closed can that you can get with an open one, the Shure SRH 940 is a good choice.  It is a not a bass heavy can by any stretch.  It is quite neutral.  You will need an amp.

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #25,168 of 29,490
Seeking Headphone Recommendations

Hello all,
New user here but I've been lurking the boards for over a month or so now.  I'm looking to upgrade my headphones, which won't be too hard considering I'm using HD280's currently.  I've had the 280s for a few years.  They've served their purpose, but I have been rather disappointed by them overall (small soundstage, very little bass, requires an amp to get to levels I would consider loud).

Preferences:
I will be primarily using these for gaming and music (about 60-70% gaming, rest music).  I play various types of games, usually one at a time for a few months.  Currently I'm mostly into FPS's (BF3).
As for music, I tend to listen to a lot of electronica, folksy stuff, post-rock, and any combination of those.  I also listen to a good amount of experimental stuff.  Some of my favorites sounds (when played through good equipment...) is deep, very synthesized, low Hz bass notes.  Not punchy stuff like dubstep (actually kind of hate dubstep), but bass notes that get dragged out with minimal attacks and resonate a bit (e.g. DJ Trentemoller).

Current Equipment:
My desktop PC has a Creative Sound Blaster Z.  This has a pretty solid HP amp within it and great fidelity.  My current HD280s have to be set at some of the lowest settings for non-ear-shattering volume levels.
 I do have a low end, but decent, 5.1 system (JVC TH-G31) hooked up to my PC also (through SPDIF), so I tend to use that when I want to watch movies or listen to music while I'm moving around.  These headphones will be used solely when I'm sitting down at my computer (or my work computer, potentially).  

Features Sought (in order of priority):
  • Quality Bass.  I'm not a bass-head, but I thoroughly enjoy very full, smooth sounding bass (some of my favorite sounds are found in down-tempo electronica, e.g. Trentemoller for a quick example)
  • Great Soundstage.  Mainly for gaming purposes, e.g. excellent positional cues.
  • Comfort. Could be wearing these anywhere from 1-5 hours at a time.  Would like to be able to achieve the 'forgot they're on' comfort level.
  • Would highly prefer closed headphones, but I understand it's hard to come by closed 'phones that offer a large soundstage. Sound-leakage reduction is a bonus where possible.
  • Drive-able without amp. I wouldn't be taking these out much, but I would like to use them at work occasionally and would prefer not to have to lug around an amp when I do so.  They will be plugged into my soundcard at home, so that's not an issue overall.

Budget and Current Considerations:
My budget for some new headphones is up to $300, but will only hit the higher end of this if it's absolutely favorable to do so.  I would like to stick around the $200 mark realistically.
Some headphones I've been eyeing thus far are as follows:
  1. AKG Q701 (refurbished or used)
  2. Beyerdynamic DT 990
  3. Sennheisser HD 598
  4. Logitech UE6000
  5. Buying two sets: AKG A(D)700 (for gaming) and ATH M50s for music

So, there you have it.  Any input/opinions would be highly appreciated!

Thanks,
-robeot

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #25,169 of 29,490
Am looking to purchase a colorfly c4. Has anyone got any views for headphones to pair it with? needs to be under £300. Tempted by the sennheiser momentums. But going by reviews of the c4 the 6.3mm jack provides a better output sound, would the momentum be suitable?

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #25,170 of 29,490
Realizing that you are not going to get the same level of soundstage and airy sound in a closed can that you can get with an open one, the Shure SRH 940 is a good choice.  It is a not a bass heavy can by any stretch.  It is quite neutral.  You will need an amp.

Knowing I'll be going out this weekend to test some cans, are there any others I should be adding to the mix force parison purposes? What do you think of the K550 and should it be on that list?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back