++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 21, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #25,141 of 29,490
Quote:
The 598 is considered to be very comfortable by most.  The DT 880 is also, but the cups are too small for some.  The Pro has a firmer clamp, which might or might not be a issue for you.

Again the amp/dac needs to be matched to your headphone for the best results, and your situation might not be typical.  I am an amp only guy, as I listen mostly to CD's amd vinyl.  So others, perhaps in the computer audio section of the forum might provide helpful advice with regard t o the dac side of the equation.

You don't include your location with your posts.  However, most large and many medium sized cites--and even some smaller ones--have one or more higher end audio stores that can help.

Most people (and your mileage may vary) would probably find the Senns already discussed, the 1440, the HE 400 and closed Shure SRH 940 to be smooth on the ears.

Thanks for the reply! I will find the Senn Lineup and pickup the pair that will be best.

Based on responses from others I may look close at the appropriate JDS O2 amp.

Feb 21, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #25,142 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Shure SRH 940.

That's  what I was thinking  about, I was just  wondering if there was anything else. 

With the Denon D5000 gone, there's not much else left.  You might want to check out the Audio Technica ATH-W1000x "Grandioso", but the Shure does mids and treble better.

Feb 21, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #25,143 of 29,490
I messed up and posted this in the wrong place so I will try here hoping not to be barging in on someone. I just picked up a JDS o2 amp and now am looking for some cans that will play well with it. I enjoy classical, country rock, and some pop. I do not consider myself a base head but of course want the natural low end as recorded at least. Crystal clear percussion and female voices are dope for me. I live in a rural area with zero opportunity to demo anything that is not at best buy. As reference, my westone 3's are decent but I am ready for more. I would appreciate opinions on which way to go:
Senn.650
Senn.600
He-400
He-500
Grado-ps500
Grado-Rs1i

All are within budget but I want to use the JDSo2 and of course bang for the buck is always better than less bang for the buck.
Thank You for your time,
Greg

Feb 21, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #25,144 of 29,490
Quote:
I messed up and posted this in the wrong place so I will try here hoping not to be barging in on someone. I just picked up a JDS o2 amp and now am looking for some cans that will play well with it. I enjoy classical, country rock, and some pop. I do not consider myself a base head but of course want the natural low end as recorded at least. Crystal clear percussion and female voices are dope for me. I live in a rural area with zero opportunity to demo anything that is not at best buy. As reference, my westone 3's are decent but I am ready for more. I would appreciate opinions on which way to go:
Senn.650
Senn.600
He-400
He-500
Grado-ps500
Grado-Rs1i

All are within budget but I want to use the JDSo2 and of course bang for the buck is always better than less bang for the buck.
Thank You for your time,
Greg

The HE 500 and is the best on the list. 

The O2 will drive them according to the fellow who designed it.   Can't tell you much more than that, as I have no ear time on the O2 and only read about on numerous occasions.

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #25,145 of 29,490
Seeking Headphone Recommendations

Hello all,
New user here but I've been lurking the boards for over a month or so now.  I'm looking to upgrade my headphones, which won't be too hard considering I'm using HD280's currently.  I've had the 280s for a few years.  They've served their purpose, but I have been rather disappointed by them overall (small soundstage, very little bass, requires an amp to get to levels I would consider loud).

Preferences:
I will be primarily using these for gaming and music (about 60-70% gaming, rest music).  I play various types of games, usually one at a time for a few months.  Currently I'm mostly into FPS's (BF3).
As for music, I tend to listen to a lot of electronica, folksy stuff, post-rock, and any combination of those.  I also listen to a good amount of experimental stuff.  Some of my favorites sounds (when played through good equipment...) is deep, very synthesized, low Hz bass notes.  Not punchy stuff like dubstep (actually kind of hate dubstep), but bass notes that get dragged out with minimal attacks and resonate a bit (e.g. DJ Trentemoller).

Current Equipment:
My desktop PC has a Creative Sound Blaster Z.  This has a pretty solid HP amp within it and great fidelity.  My current HD280s have to be set at some of the lowest settings for non-ear-shattering volume levels.
 I do have a low end, but decent, 5.1 system (JVC TH-G31) hooked up to my PC also (through SPDIF), so I tend to use that when I want to watch movies or listen to music while I'm moving around.  These headphones will be used solely when I'm sitting down at my computer (or my work computer, potentially).  

Features Sought (in order of priority):
  • Quality Bass.  I'm not a bass-head, but I thoroughly enjoy very full, smooth sounding bass (some of my favorite sounds are found in down-tempo electronica, e.g. Trentemoller for a quick example)
  • Great Soundstage.  Mainly for gaming purposes, e.g. excellent positional cues.
  • Comfort. Could be wearing these anywhere from 1-5 hours at a time.  Would like to be able to achieve the 'forgot they're on' comfort level.
  • Would highly prefer closed headphones, but I understand it's hard to come by closed 'phones that offer a large soundstage. Sound-leakage reduction is a bonus where possible.
  • Drive-able without amp. I wouldn't be taking these out much, but I would like to use them at work occasionally and would prefer not to have to lug around an amp when I do so.  They will be plugged into my soundcard at home, so that's not an issue overall.

Budget and Current Considerations:
My budget for some new headphones is up to $300, but will only hit the higher end of this if it's absolutely favorable to do so.  I would like to stick around the $200 mark realistically.
Some headphones I've been eyeing thus far are as follows:
  1. AKG Q701 (refurbished or used)
  2. Beyerdynamic DT 990
  3. Sennheisser HD 598
  4. Logitech UE6000
  5. Buying two sets: AKG A(D)700 (for gaming) and ATH M50s for music

So, there you have it.  Any input/opinions would be highly appreciated!

Thanks,
-robeot

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #25,147 of 29,490
Quote:
Senn.650
Senn.600
He-400
He-500
Grado-ps500
Grado-Rs1i

Thank You for your time,
Greg

HE500 all the way.  I've owned or heard all the headphones on your list except for Grado ps500 and HE500 are a league above, the other ones aren't even close.  O2 is a capable little amp, it'll do great.

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #25,148 of 29,490
Quote:
Honestly, all I'm looking for is a pair of cans with good sound isolation. That's all. Which headphones block out sound the best? Obviously must be closed back.

Unless someone out there has heard them all, that's a tall order.

The Sennheiser Momentum is one that isolates well.  In a shootout of portable cans, the on ear Beyer DT 1350 grabbed the top rating overall and a maximum "10" rating in isolation.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-107-portable-headphones-reviewed-astrotec-as-100hd-as-200hd-added-12-02-12#post_5828504

Feb 22, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #25,149 of 29,490
Quote:
Honestly, all I'm looking for is a pair of cans with good sound isolation. That's all. Which headphones block out sound the best? Obviously must be closed back.

UE6000 have active noise cancellation and sound pretty good if you don't mind the strong bass.  Q15 have even more bass and lots of treble which makes them sound a little shouty.  SRH840, DT770 & M25 have ok isolation but the latter two don't sound very good imo.  Good iems can give you near-perfect sound and isolation.

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #25,150 of 29,490
don't yell at me if this isn't where I should post something like this, but I recently read a super interesting article about the emerging headphone industry and I was just wondering what more experienced headphone enthusiasts thought about this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/21/technology/personaltech/some-premium-headphones-amplify-celebrities-over-sound.html?pagewanted=all

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #25,151 of 29,490
I actually think this is deserving of its own thread. It is rather interesting to read I just glanced over it but it seems like an interesting read
Quote:
don't yell at me if this isn't where I should post something like this, but I recently read a super interesting article about the emerging headphone industry and I was just wondering what more experienced headphone enthusiasts thought about this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/21/technology/personaltech/some-premium-headphones-amplify-celebrities-over-sound.html?pagewanted=all

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #25,152 of 29,490
Quote:

OK--in a quiet voice: this is OT.  While I'm glad that it was informative to you, there's nothing (or at least very, very little) in that article that's new or informative to most all the folks on a headphone site and forum for more than just a fast pass.

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #25,153 of 29,490
Quote:
What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

At the current time, I have no amp but would be open to suggestions for a decent amp or DAC (in that case my budget would be about $250 total.  I'll be using my computer, never leaving the house.

Format is generally lossless, but some mp3.  Music only.

As far as sound signature, As long as they aren't too bass heavy I'll be happy.  

Thanks!

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #25,154 of 29,490
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATHM50S-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B004ZG9TMA

Will this headphone drop to $99 again....I want to kick myself..I miss this deal during black friday.
I also miss the deal of fiio e10 and e17....
Thank you

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #25,155 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

At the current time, I have no amp but would be open to suggestions for a decent amp or DAC (in that case my budget would be about $250 total.  I'll be using my computer, never leaving the house.

Format is generally lossless, but some mp3.  Music only.

As far as sound signature, As long as they aren't too bass heavy I'll be happy.  

Thanks!

For up to $150 and not needing an amp to complement your Grados, you should consider the KRK KNS 8400, Audio Technica ATH-A700X and the open Audio Technica ATH-AD700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back